Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reimou
Jan 20, 2015
Baashawn and its family are my favorite Uranium pokemon. It feels genuinely inspired to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Blaze Dragon posted:

But Baashaun isn't orange, how can it be your fursona?

It's only in retrospect that I realize I could've colored its back sprites' wool orange and I seriously regret not doing so.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Nono, clearly you ought to hack your baashaun into a shiny and then make the shiny sprites orange. :colbert:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

ohmygorgon posted:

I really am fascinated how some of these designs are Frankenstein'd combinations of older Pokemon parts. Like how Sponee looks like Joltik combined with Igglybuff. I guess it is less literally stitching the sprites together and more a matter of trying to emulate the artstyle as well as the fact that there are only so many ways you can design a Pokemon based on an animal like a spider before you start seeing similarities, but some of these feel particularity blatant in what they are ripping.

And of course, like rannum said, the trainers are less subtle about being rip offs, with Davern's pre battle cut-in being "inspired" by Rorak's as a clear example.

I have been having a great time identifying which cut in sprites are edited from which gen 4/5 era cut ins.

Theo's is just Iris' which is why he holds a pokeball, does the tongue thing and a wide amount of dead space and the reason that the first leader's face seemed so weird in how it was set up is because half the face is covered in her base, Cress

I guess they didn't want to put a lot of time into the trainer designs, but they could at least splice the bases or something.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It's only in retrospect that I realize I could've colored its back sprites' wool orange and I seriously regret not doing so.

i can't wait to see how baashuns evolution ruins its actually decent design

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
apparently the Baashaun line is a fakemon lines designed by someone other than the game maker?

No wonder its design feels above the usual quality

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

...I mean, what else?

m-m-m-myyyy fursona :rock:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Let's Play Pokemon Uranium: No EXP Recieved

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

DeafNote posted:

apparently the Baashaun line is a fakemon lines designed by someone other than the game maker?

No wonder its design feels above the usual quality

there's actually a couple like that. there's another line i can think of off the top of my head

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Surely it's not too late? I would click fill on your pictures for you!

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

KataraniSword posted:

Let's Play Pokemon Uranium: No EXP Recieved

Technically, the cheap buyable Rare Candies were hacked in, so...

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The life of a two headed dragon snake that burrows through the ground seems like a difficult one.

Like the guy who designed that thing must have looked at worms and just assumed that any vaguely noodle shaped animal is able to dig, which is why there are so many species of snakes that dig subterranean tunnels.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Mar 6, 2017

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

turn off the TV posted:

The life of a two headed dragon snake that burrows through the ground seems like a difficult one.

Like the guy who designed that thing must have looked at worms and just assumed that any vaguely noodle shaped animal is able to dig, which is why there are so many species of snakes that dig subterranean tunnels.

To be fair, there are a decent number of snakes, skinks, and caecilians that are noodle-shaped and live underground digging tunnels; most people don't think of them because we don't see them because they live, y'know, underground. The bifurcated neck is a pretty serious design flaw for a tunnel-digging animal, though, although Dugtrio somehow managed with three? Blatantly ripping off Charizard's head is inexcusable, though.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

lightrook posted:

To be fair, there are a decent number of snakes, skinks, and caecilians that are noodle-shaped and live underground digging tunnels; most people don't think of them because we don't see them because they live, y'know, underground. The bifurcated neck is a pretty serious design flaw for a tunnel-digging animal, though, although Dugtrio somehow managed with three? Blatantly ripping off Charizard's head is inexcusable, though.

dugtrio gets around it by never showing if its 3 digletts hanging out with 3 distinct bodies or 3 heads on one body

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

mandatory lesbian posted:

dugtrio gets around it by never showing if its 3 digletts hanging out with 3 distinct bodies or 3 heads on one body

So you're saying that dugtrio is the Pokémon equivalent of three kids in a trench coat? I suppose this makes more sense than it being some three headed monster.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Cathode Raymond posted:

So you're saying that dugtrio is the Pokémon equivalent of three kids in a trench coat? I suppose this makes more sense than it being some three headed monster.

Boy, wait until you see Magneton!

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
so general Pokémon question: since Hidden Power shows up as a normal move, do you still get the STAB if it happens to be one of your Pokémon's types?

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

morallyobjected posted:

so general Pokémon question: since Hidden Power shows up as a normal move, do you still get the STAB if it happens to be one of your Pokémon's types?

Yes, but it's a vanilla Special move with middling power. Most pokemon have *better* STAB moves.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, as I recall, Hidden Power is at its' best when it's a type your 'mon ordinarily can't learn at all, or covers a weakness.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Cathode Raymond posted:

in a series with Weezing and Magneton it's really not that out there

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Regalingualius posted:

Yeah, as I recall, Hidden Power is at its' best when it's a type your 'mon ordinarily can't learn at all, or covers a weakness.

Yeah, Hidden Power's main utility is giving a Pokemon a not-terrible special move with a type it wouldn't otherwise have access to, like a Magneton with HP-Fire so it can take out all those Steel things it traps with Magnet Pull.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

mandatory lesbian posted:

in a series with Weezing and Magneton it's really not that out there

Also Vanilluxe, Klinklang...

Hell even Wishiwashi

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Zore posted:

Hell even Wishiwashi

Dodrio, Hydreigon...

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
I have no idea how wishiwashi doesn't violate league rules about using multiple Pokemon at the same time. At least Magneton and Weezing are actually physically stuck together and don't have their extra bits run away when they get low health.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Vorpal Cat posted:

I have no idea how wishiwashi doesn't violate league rules about using multiple Pokemon at the same time. At least Magneton and Weezing are actually physically stuck together and don't have their extra bits run away when they get low health.

They're unified by the power of TEAMWORK!

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Vorpal Cat posted:

League rules are written by Elite 4 members and Champions. Most of those people are lackadaisical, full of poo poo, completely stupid, or some combination of the three. (Pokemon's in-universe society doesn't generally stand up to serious questioning. Stoppit.)

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Wishiwashi might be many pokemon but they are all united by the same burning soul and hunger for justice

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

ZeroCount posted:

Wishiwashi might be many pokemon but they are all united by the same burning soul and hunger for justice

Sadly this lead to a slippery slope that ended with a match between two Charizard duct taped to Blastoise fighting 6 Electrodes superglued onto a Klinklang, before officials finally deiced to update the Alolan League Rules.

Vorpal Cat fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Mar 6, 2017

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Vorpal Cat posted:

Sadly this lead to a slippery slope that ended with a match between two Charizard duct taped to Blastoise fighting 6 Electrodes superglued onto a Klinklang, before officials finally deiced to update the Alolan League Rules.

http://thepunchlineismachismo.com/archives/comic/does-this-get-to-count-as-one-pokemon

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Zore posted:

Hell even Wishiwashi

Metang has two beldum's for arms. Metagross is two Metangs fused together. and Mega Metagross is two Metagross stacked on top of each-other.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

serefin99 posted:

It's even worse if you look at the 'official art' or whatever.

:sigh: Uuuuuugh. I mean points for trying but come oooonnnn. That is INCREDIBLY lazy, and just when I was starting to think "Oh hey, these Fakemon aren't all that bad." you get double Onix-Charizard.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

StrifeHira posted:

:sigh: Uuuuuugh. I mean points for trying but come oooonnnn. That is INCREDIBLY lazy, and just when I was starting to think "Oh hey, these Fakemon aren't all that bad." you get double Onix-Charizard.

hell, even sage has a pokemon line that ends up being kinda the same idea as steelix, but at least it looks actually decent and the game's pokedex has over 200 original pokemon with none from the actual games

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Johnny Joestar posted:

hell, even sage has a pokemon line that ends up being kinda the same idea as steelix, but at least it looks actually decent and the game's pokedex has over 200 original pokemon with none from the actual games

Not to mention that Aggron with the serial numbers filed off in the middle.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Lairon.

And i like steel snake rayquaza.
Sage also has obviously gen3/4 styling, going just by the shading.

E: also surprisingly inspired ideas, I like the growmeo/tuliet duo. But using the same grow pun twice (grolem) is not good.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Mar 6, 2017

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, i also had that pokemon line in mind when i was pulling this up. it has similar ideas but it kinda goes its own direction with it. like, for example, the lairon-looking thing is actually sort of a pupae in a way as the first form transitions into the giant snake thing.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

At least this is an evolutionary line that mirrors actual evolution process: a burrowing animal that gets more streamlined and limbless. It's the kind of thing that I could see official Pokemon doing.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Part of me wants OFS to load up his team with ants and beat everyone with them. The other part of me is screaming because ants

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Part of me wants OFS to load up his team with ants and beat everyone with them. The other part of me is screaming because ants
poor freckles

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Pokémon: Ants, or Pokémon: Spiders?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Spinarak is cute and my friend. Durant is angry and my friend. We need not fight.

• Locked thread