Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
It saddens me to see the NDP firmly in third place once again. There is no left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That's true regardless of where the modern NDP ranks, no?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Let's be real about the Liberals though, they legitimately did intend to change the electoral system if they could find support to implement AV/IRV, because they know that's the one system that would benefit them more than FPTP. It isn't a case of "Oh the Liberals never intended to change the electoral system, it was all a lie" or even "once they got a majority that went out the window". They legitimately want a runoff system that would entrench permanent Liberal rule even more than FPTP does, but they huffed their own farts too much shortly after being elected and were convinced to set up a commission that they thought they could dominate (since they were so popular at the time) and get an IRV recommendation out of, only for the commission to actually do its job and point out that IRV is awful in the Canadian system.

(PS note that I said "in the Canadian system" by which I mean a parliamentary system with more than two parties. I actually support IRV in presidential elections like France (and I think it would be a significant upgrade for the US) because it's impossible to get a proportional result when you're only electing a single person)

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Helsing posted:

Growing up with CI as a dad is gonna turn that kid into a pot head burnout or school shooter way before that happens.

No CIs kid is going to go No gently caress You Dad and run off to marry someone in the Canadian Forces and move to Brandon and buy a couple acres just outside of town and drive around in her F150 wearing an actual Wheat Kings jersey.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

EvilJoven posted:

No CIs kid is going to go No gently caress You Dad and run off to marry someone in the Canadian Forces and move to Brandon and buy a couple acres just outside of town and drive around in her F150 wearing an actual Wheat Kings jersey.

Someday CI will die and CI's child will sink her entire inheritance into a single condo in Vancouver

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Yeah but I didn't vote last election

For a loving school teacher or any of the other clowns

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Congrats on making a difference though

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion

THC posted:

BC Liberals announce $30 million in road improvements for Maple Ridge/Pitt Meadows. All driver safety improvements nothing for anyone else even though it's one of the most dangerous areas for pedestrians/cyclists. Families first.

maybe the cyclists need to bike on down to the next party fundraiser and buy some loving tables if they want to not get run over

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Pop-o-Matic Trouble posted:

It saddens me to see the NDP firmly in third place once again. There is no left.

If it doesn't get better after our leadership convention, that will be the time to start crying

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Holy poo poo, actual progress on C-16 happened.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The Dark One posted:

Holy poo poo, actual progress on C-16 happened.

Hey on my birthday too! Being a person will be a great gift.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Rip my FREEDOM OF SPEECH

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

namaste faggots posted:

Yeah but I didn't vote last election

Explains so much

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

patonthebach posted:

Explains so much

What exactly does it explain? Walk me through it.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

patonthebach posted:

Explains so much

I want you to explain why you keep typing 'come on' as 'commone'

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 9, 2022

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Subjunctive posted:

What exactly does it explain? Walk me through it.

Being a loving dumbass? Don't vote = dumbass.

JawKnee posted:

I want you to explain why you keep typing 'come on' as 'commone'

Im a hick?
edit: Look at the avatar, bud

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Are you posters who chose to believe the Liberals' electoral reform promise too young to remember national pharmacare and daycare or something?

Speaking of Munk, Barrick is a human rights disaster and I'm sure you'll all be very surprised to learn that the Liberals' promise to establish a human rights ombudsman for Canada's resource industry has yet to be fulfilled. They can't even be bothered to make a patronage appointment for a toothless watchdog.

quote:

“That does surprise me,” said Liberal MP and mining accountability advocate John McKay, of the collective Parliamentary silence on the ombudsman promise. “I think (the commitment) is pretty clear in the Liberal Party’s documentation.”

Twice, McKay’s bills to promote environmental best practices and the protection of international human rights standards at Canadian operations abroad fell flat in the House of Commons, but with the recent election of a Liberal government, he said he’s received promising signs that his legislation will be given new life.

In an interview, he supported the creation of an ombudsman to oversee the industry, and said that discussion is “live” within the federal government, but takes time to deliver in a thorough manner that could not be dismantled easily by the legal teams of opposing mining corporations. The scope, powers, and mandate of such an ombudsman have yet to be determined, he said, but he didn’t doubt the strength of his party’s commitment, despite an apparent unwillingness to talk about it at the ministerial level.

“The ultimate benefit for us is clear branding and clear responsiveness to indiscretions, violations or alleged violations by mining companies,” McKay explained. “If you don’t actually have a policeman to enforce anything then it’s sort of like travelling on the 401 (highway) and saying, ‘Well of course I’ll obey the speed limit officer.’ You need somebody whose going to lay down the heavy hand.”

:lol:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.bcgreens.ca/weaver_calls_on_elections_bc_and_rcmp_to_investigate_christy_clark_s_cash_for_access_schemes

quote:

WEAVER CALLS ON ELECTIONS BC AND RCMP TO INVESTIGATE CHRISTY CLARK’S CASH-FOR-ACCESS SCHEMES

March 05, 2017

VICTORIA B.C. – B.C. Green Party leader Andrew Weaver is calling on Elections BC and the RCMP to launch an immediate investigation into allegations that Premier Christy Clark’s B.C. Liberals have been accepting illegal donations from lobbyists.

Media reports over the weekend allege that many donations to the Liberals are made fraudulently or in violation of the Election Act and that the Liberals are encouraging this behaviour by holding cash for access events. The Liberals raised more than $12 million last year, more than any provincial political party in power. The B.C. NDP, which also accepts both corporate and union donations, have also allegedly pressured lobbyists for donations. The NDP have not released fundraising figures for 2016 but raised $3 million in 2015.

“The report raises very serious questions about influence peddling and corruption of our democratic process,” Weaver says. “The police and Elections BC have a duty to investigate the flow of money through lobbyists to both the Liberals and the NDP.”

He called for urgent action, saying British Columbians have a right know if any laws have been broken before they cast their ballots in the May 9 election. Weaver also called for an immediate end to so-called “pay-to-play” and “cash-for-access” schemes, and that all monies raised in a questionable manner be returned to the donors.

The article published by The Globe and Mail on the weekend is the latest in a series of troubling reports on political fundraising in B.C. The New York Times in January described B.C. as the ‘Wild West’ for its fund-raising practices that are outlawed federally and in most other provinces. Clark accepts money from lobbyists, corporate and foreign donors and also engages in fundraising events at private homes where wealthy individuals and lobbyists pay thousands of dollars in exchange for exclusive access to the Premier.

The latest reports provide more disturbing detail on the fundraising practices; of the 53 frequent donors to the Liberals, 13 work for wealthy foreign companies or individuals. It also alleges donations are being hidden in violation of one of the few fundraising rules that do exist in B.C.

“These disturbing practices must end,” says Weaver.

He called on both the Liberals and NDP to follow the lead of the B.C. Green Party which in September stopped accepting corporate and union donations. While a ban on corporate and union donations is just one necessary part of reforming B.C.’s political finance laws, it has been received by B.C. voters with strong support. The B.C. Green Party raised $763,667 in 2016, nearly double what it raised in the previous fiscal year.

“B.C. must stop selling out to corporate and foreign interests that have exploited the province’s resources and left our cities unaffordable,” says Weaver. “It’s time for British Columbians to take back B.C.”

the rcmp doesn't give a poo poo unless the investigtaion is allows them to run up millions of dollars in overtime, like terrorism perpetrated by two crackheads for instance

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Maybe they should investigate Christy Clark's recent purchases of pressure cookers and fireworks.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
A surge of the CPC in the polls makes me want to scream forever.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Elections BC is investigating the BC Liberals now, so expect a very sternly worded report from them that everyone in BC will ignore.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

MikeSevigny posted:

Elections BC is investigating the BC Liberals now, so expect a very sternly worded report from them that everyone in BC will ignore.

And a $2,000 fine, payment of which will be optional, of course.

MonsieurChoc posted:

mail your local lib and tell them to stop libbing.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Powershift posted:

And a $2,000 fine, payment of which will be optional, of course.

They'll just get a mining lobbyist to drop off a cheque on the way to Christy's victory party.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

Just accept that Canadian politics is once again a zero-sum game. The NDP top out at 20%, the Bloc/Greens/other minors add up to 10%, and the remaining 70% is split between the LPC and the CPC. If the Liberals go down, the Conservatives go up.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

vyelkin posted:

Just accept that Canadian politics is once again a zero-sum game. The NDP top out at 20%, the Bloc/Greens/other minors add up to 10%, and the remaining 70% is split between the LPC and the CPC. If the Liberals go down, the Conservatives go up.

I also put the NDP's problem in this regard squarely at the feet of the NDP - between Mulcair ham-fisting a vapid pretty-boy into a majority and the ONDP... huffing electoral solvents or something, I can't even console myself my vote is making them money by subsidy.

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
Hey at least your Liberal party is better than the Australian Liberal party.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Every four years or so we get together to yell and scream and wag fingers at each other while arguing over what color the boot that stamps our faces for the next four years should be. Then we vote and some people have a smug look on their faces and others a scowl.

And the boot just keeps stamping and stamping and stamping.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
source ur quotes

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Farecoal posted:

source ur quotes

I present to you, "people who vote".

quote:

Ottawa residents who own cottages say they're frustrated they won't fully benefit from hydro rate cuts announced by Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne late last week.

At Sunday's Ottawa Cottage and Backyard Show at the EY Centre, owners said they're fed up with the delivery charges they pay during the months they don't use their second dwellings.

Residential and small business hydro bills will drop by 17 per cent on average this summer under the new Liberal plan, but it won't affect the fixed portion of the delivery charge.

Kevin Lawlor, who owns a cottage at Bob's Lake southwest of Perth, said his delivery rates are more than the hydro itself.

"We maybe use $50 a month in hydro but we're paying a $100 delivery charge ... It's all smoke and mirrors. They're trying to appease the public to get votes so that they don't get kicked out in the next election," he said.
Tracy Card said he loves his cottage in Ardoch too much to think about selling, but he was hoping for some relief.

"It should apply to everyone. Or at least, if it doesn't apply to everyone it should affect everybody in a positive way," he said.

"Give me something."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/cottage-owners-hydro-wynne-1.4011010

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
During the last election, this thread was full of scorn for anyone who suggested that the differences between the Liberals and Conservatives weren't that big.

The Liberals are legit better for LGBT issues and I applaud that.

... And now I can't think of anything else to really separate them. I guess the conservatives are more honest. For instance, they'll just cut services to natives and give subsidies to resource extraction; the Liberals will claim they're spending lots of money on natives while not actually spending it, and the part they do spend is on resource extraction companies.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Postess with the Mostest posted:

My second home that I leave empty for most of the year is costing me a few hundred dollars. drat you, Wynne!!!

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

At $150/month they could just buy a bitchin' solar setup and easily pay it off within the first years worth of Hydro charges. People are idiots.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Oh my god, the entitlement! They have to maintain the infrastructure year round even if you're not there, you huge baby.

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
How is not wanting to be raped by eco taxes and illegitimate fees entitlement? The corruption and cronyism of ontarios hydro corp has been well documented. The real cost of power and infrastructure maintenance is only a tiny fraction of what they bill their customers.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
No one has the right to own a cottage. If they don't like the fees, they can just not have one.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

How is not wanting to be raped by eco taxes and illegitimate fees entitlement? The corruption and cronyism of ontarios hydro corp has been well documented. The real cost of power and infrastructure maintenance is only a tiny fraction of what they bill their customers.

Is there any chance in hell that these cottage-owning complainers voted anything other than Liberals or Conservatives? If they didn't want to get gouged by corrupt monopolies, they shouldn't have voted for right-wing governments to privatize everything.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

Please do not casually use "rape" like that, thanks. And these people have a second cottage dwelling, it's not unreasonable to expect them to pay to maintain infrastructure even if they're not using it.

e: oops just saw who I replied to, oh well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

CLAM DOWN posted:

Please do not casually use "rape" like that, thanks. And these people have a second cottage dwelling, it's not unreasonable to expect them to pay to maintain infrastructure even if they're not using it.

e: oops just saw who I replied to, oh well

What do you have against the rape harvest?