Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Drawtaliate guys, it shuts down his counters completely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I got Ultima Weapon down to a sliver before he popped Shadow Flare :negative:

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion

W.T. Fits posted:

I tried to keep him Dispelled on my second run using Banishing Strike, but it got to the point where he just basically countered every single attack we threw at him with Ultimate Scintilla or whatever the gently caress it's called. :argh:

I think twice in a row he countered dispel with Scintilla again around the middle of the fight, but we had our debuffs up and he wasn't hurting anyone too badly. By the time people have figured him out and are just grinding him for orbs you probably won't even need to dispel him because you'll have four or five characters running a wind meta and killing him in two turns.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Yeah, we got him down without anyone dying. Two different sources of Last Stand + Asylum + a poo poo ton of breakdowns got the job done. It was just annoying that he kept responding to my attempts to dispel his haste by re-hasting himself because I didn't realize that Drawtaliate blocked it. Otherwise I'd have included that in my party request blurb.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Just beat the U++ thanks to a Maria BSB RW. Pretty much my main strategy has been to load up a mage with boosting equipment and buffs and then pop an appropriate BSB RW.

Is Meteor XVI pretty much the best mage BSB in terms of pure, personal damage? I know Raines is really good for the party buff, but it's hard to beat that 6 hit combo.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Fister Roboto posted:

Just beat the U++ thanks to a Maria BSB RW. Pretty much my main strategy has been to load up a mage with boosting equipment and buffs and then pop an appropriate BSB RW.

Is Meteor XVI pretty much the best mage BSB in terms of pure, personal damage? I know Raines is really good for the party buff, but it's hard to beat that 6 hit combo.

IIRC, Raines comes on top regardless, because of the first command being instant cast. Having access to two in-built stacking +Mag buffs is also important, but where it really shines is chaining repeated 9999x4 attacks instantly.

Maria is totally competitive, though, if you get those 6 hits in.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I think Maria comes out on top in a situation where both are capping every hit, but that involves more outside boosting for Maria, since her 6 hits have lower potencies than Raines's 4.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Deployment Tactics is kind of hilarious against Sephiroth. Every third turn we all have to just sit there and wait while the damage numbers tick off sixteen times.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I think Maria comes out on top in a situation where both are capping every hit, but that involves more outside boosting for Maria, since her 6 hits have lower potencies than Raines's 4.

It's also a lot easier to find situations where Raines BSB will be hitting weakness, whereas Maria almost never does - Holy/Dark has a lot of coverage. Earth/Non-Elemental... not so much.

Maria's definitely in the top 4, fighting for second place with Ashe (self-healing and high consistent potency against weakness) and Edea (same gimmick with better elementals but slightly harder numbers to hit and no MC3).

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

How does Kuja's BSB measure up? I have no idea when I got it but it's been collecting dust in my inventory ever since. Dark imperil is good, but I don't have many good dark users to take advantage of it.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Fister Roboto posted:

How does Kuja's BSB measure up? I have no idea when I got it but it's been collecting dust in my inventory ever since. Dark imperil is good, but I don't have many good dark users to take advantage of it.

That's its first hiccup - All of the good stand-alone mage BSBs, Raines excepted, have en-element entry.

Comparing the numbers, we've got:

Kuja BSB
Entry: 8x random-target 220p dark/NE hits (1760p total) with Imperil Dark
Command 1: 4x single target 204p dark/NE hits (816p total), 286p if user has Doom status (1144p total)
Command 2: 2x all enemies 294p dark/NE hits (588p total), 412p if user has Doom status (824p total)

Let's compare to to the closest equivalent out of the top brass, Ashe's BSB

Entry: 8x single-target 220p lightning/NE hits (1760p total) with Enlightning
Command 1: 4x single target 263p lightning hits (1052p total), heals user for 60p (roughly equivalent to a Cura)
Command 2: 2x single target 314p lightning/NE hits (628p total)

Without Memento Mori (or an outside source of Doom), Kuja's falls behind on burst command damage, but with it he does pretty well for himself. Having an Imperil instead of an Enelement makes it tricky to plan around, though, doubly so when you need Kuja doomed to really make the most use of it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

KataraniSword posted:

It's also a lot easier to find situations where Raines BSB will be hitting weakness, whereas Maria almost never does - Holy/Dark has a lot of coverage. Earth/Non-Elemental... not so much.

Maria's definitely in the top 4, fighting for second place with Ashe (self-healing and high consistent potency against weakness) and Edea (same gimmick with better elementals but slightly harder numbers to hit and no MC3).

Don't forget Papalymo - he has higher numbers to hit than Maria but lower than Edea. Raines generally also wins out because he buffs the entire party - something that we won't really see again til Garnet BSB2, or Vivi BSB2 if you insist on the entry having damage.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I find it funny how they brought back the Mako Cannon spamming Rufus as a Cid Mission, but thanks to last week it just feels kinda refreshing.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Fister Roboto posted:

Effortpost on Reddit from the guy who put together that big post on upcoming mage meta relics: https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/5oub38/an_indepth_quantitative_analysis_of_mage_bsbs/

tl;dr instant cast puts Raines on top and makes Alphinaud+OK competitive with Maria, Papalymo, and Edea

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Dolla dolla draw, yo!

:toot:

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I have shotgun, crystal cross, and two fists for FFVII (Tifa and generic), so even though this banner only has one true dupe, the spread of relics just seems so pointless for me to go after. Red XIII hairclips and a bunch of guns? Blah.

I still think FFVII banner I is a better bet for me to get stuff I can use (cid-shout would be good, as would any burst sword), but the quality overall just seems so meh, it just seems way better to wait for anniversary.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011

1st AD posted:

Dolla dolla draw, yo!

:toot:

Hello, fellow. I've got that too in a 100 gem draw.

I... I guess we got some 6* fist weapon?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

I got Ultima Weapon down to a sliver before he popped Shadow Flare :negative:

:same:

still got mastery though v:v:v

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Yeah, the Shadow Flare timer is super short. If you don't have a couple different stacking buffs you are basically not gonna make it.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Don't forget Papalymo - he has higher numbers to hit than Maria but lower than Edea. Raines generally also wins out because he buffs the entire party - something that we won't really see again til Garnet BSB2, or Vivi BSB2 if you insist on the entry having damage.

While we're on the subject, how is Quistis' burst regarded? Obviously it won't stack up quite as well in terms of raw damage, but I've found it very helpful with the self +mag and poison being fairly infrequently resisted.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

2 SPOOKY posted:

While we're on the subject, how is Quistis' burst regarded? Obviously it won't stack up quite as well in terms of raw damage, but I've found it very helpful with the self +mag and poison being fairly infrequently resisted.

It's awesome. Poison is kind of a forgotten element, so not many weaknesses unfortunately, but also few resists. That cmd 2 self-buffs AND does a strong 2-hit AOE is just silly good, and cmd1 melts faces. Quistis owns.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

What I'm gathering here is that there are a bunch of garbage BSBs from early in the game's life that just do damage, and the good new ones have self buffs and party buffs and instant casts and other cool things.

I remember when I used to think Terra's BSB was good.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

What I'm gathering here is that there are a bunch of garbage BSBs from early in the game's life that just do damage, and the good new ones have self buffs and party buffs and instant casts and other cool things.

It's still fine. Her MAG is great, the 5-hit AOE opening is solid especially vs groups, and there aren't too many magic water 4-hit attacks out there.

It's not top tier but I keep it in mind.

Plus, I also have her crown, so I can fire beam for enfire and then BSB->Chaos Fira for some great damage, especially teamed up with Thancred or Balthier for fire weakness fun.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Fister Roboto posted:

Terra's BSB commands hit a fire or water weakness very hard with a solid +mag boost. A Ley Lines/vessel of fate boosted chaos watera/Fira can still shred a boss weak to either element.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah, I meant more that I used to think it was the best thing ever, but now I know there's better stuff out there.

So what the gently caress do I do now that I can regularly clear the toughest event fights and I'm getting 60 giant scarletites a week? I don't have enough poo poo to use it on.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Pander posted:

It's awesome. Poison is kind of a forgotten element, so not many weaknesses unfortunately, but also few resists. That cmd 2 self-buffs AND does a strong 2-hit AOE is just silly good, and cmd1 melts faces. Quistis owns.

Quistis is good once you record dive her to Black *5, give her some chain-ga spells and go to town.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah, I meant more that I used to think it was the best thing ever, but now I know there's better stuff out there.

So what the gently caress do I do now that I can regularly clear the toughest event fights and I'm getting 60 giant scarletites a week? I don't have enough poo poo to use it on.

Stockpile!

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
The 5* upgrade materials sell for a decent chunk of Gil. I'm saving my hoard in case I manage to run out of money somehow.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Attestant posted:

The 5* upgrade materials sell for a decent chunk of Gil. I'm saving my hoard in case I manage to run out of money somehow.

I never have enough gil until orbfests. Those orb exchanges and reforges and hones don't pay for themselves.

The only reason I'm glad I finished all the realm dungeons is because now I can farm gil dailies.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
i don't think i've dropped below 30 million gil since all the expensive-to-do stuff came out

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Attestant posted:

I was at like 400 of each 5-star material so i sold enough to keep 100 of each and made like 6m gil which was nice!

1st AD posted:

Quistis is good once you record dive her to Black *5, give her some chain-ga spells and go to town.
Who needs other skills when you can Wrath/Lifesiphon to get the character's BSB back up

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I gave Quistis White 4 and it's probably more useful than Black 5 if you have her BSB

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Nihilarian posted:

I gave Quistis White 4 and it's more useful than Black 5

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Fister Roboto posted:

Well re: giant scarletite and adamantite, you can sell those for a significant amount of money, which you'll need if you want to reforge stuff.

Difficulty-wise, you can start working on mote dungeons, nightmares, and torments!

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Well re: giant scarletite and adamantite, you can sell those for a significant amount of money, which you'll need if you want to reforge stuff.

Difficulty-wise, you can start working on mote dungeons, nightmares, and torments!

Also don't forget that around the same time they update the daily dungeons they'll be changing the Ultimate format too. 160, 180 and 220 will be the new difficulties, and instead of giving you a pile of upgrade materials for mastery the 220 will award a Crystal and 5 Rosetta Stones.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

I gave Quistis white 4 and black 5, and the one in the center that's nothing but stat boosts, because I am terrible at making good decisions

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

UHD posted:

I gave Quistis white 4 and black 5, and the one in the center that's nothing but stat boosts, because I am terrible at making good decisions

I did a full record dive on Onion Knight and now I don't use him that much, so I feel ya :v:

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

1st AD posted:

I did a full record dive on Onion Knight and now I don't use him that much, so I feel ya :v:

hell, me too. i didn't even get an SB for him

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

1st AD posted:

I got his SSB and dived him to support/white 5, and now don't really use him. Ramza is just more useful cause shout > onion slice. If I got the bracers, that'd probably change quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I have both his BSB and SSB, but lately I've been running imperil holy and Celes BSB makes a lot more sense in that context.

• Locked thread