Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Trumpenproletariat posted:

I'm Trans-corporeal

Mostly I am cheap. But I also find very little use in brands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

I think "the right to be sold a gun" and "the right to have a gun" overlap quite a bit there, poster ScrubLeague

Until capitalism falls and we give guns to all proletarian families for free in order to defend themselves against the inevitable counter revolution

Just fyi the nra is almost entirely funded by private donors. They are real good at branding

Trumpenproletariat
Nov 26, 2016

by zen death robot

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Just fyi the nra is almost entirely funded by private donors. They are real good at branding

What does private donors mean in this context? Individuals?

Big Fat Iguana
Aug 21, 2016

remember. and never lie.

Big Fat Iguana posted:

lol homeless people can't afford to go to Burning Man

I'm still mad as poo poo about this and it's not the right forum for this but whatever, a lot of my clients are homeless or nearly homeless (living in motels for years bc they can meet day-to-day expenses but can't save for First & Last months rent + safety deposit this is actually a HUGE barrier for a lot of people). The way to 'solve' homelessness isn't to shuffle them off onto a shelter or docked retrofitted tanker or whatever it's to give them housing vouchers that actually pay for apartments in normal as gently caress apartment complexes (or houses for families). The thing is when you give a home to a homeless person they ~magically~ stop being homeless. Some homeless people require other help like a social worker/nurse to make sure they're taking meds/seeking work but guess what, that's a lot easier when they're in a home and people are more likely to stay in their housing if it's normal-rear end housing the rest of the population has.

I say this as a person who actually hates homeless people and wants them to go away and fortunately for me the best way to make the go away is to help them stop being homeless

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

What does private donors mean in this context? Individuals?

By and large yes.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
wrong thread

Darkman Fanpage has issued a correction as of 06:43 on Mar 5, 2017

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Big Fat Iguana posted:

The thing is when you give a home to a homeless person they ~magically~ stop being homeless

yeah

the amount of unoccupied units in san francisco is at least 3x the number of homeless people in san francisco.

the math isnt difficult, it's the part where we kill all the landlords and absent owners and redistribute their properties...

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

By and large yes.
how much do they take from gun manufacturers, the group that they really represent?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

get that OUT of my face posted:

how much do they take from gun manufacturers, the group that they really represent?

They're a nonprofit and have to report their financials. They get very little from gun manufacturers. If you have ever met those insane militant NRA advocates who drop thousands of dollars on guns and NRA merch this really should not surprise you.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
im gonna kill the grown ups who put beyonce on par with malala and ginsburg

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
i don't keep up much with pop culture politics, so I have no idea why beyonce is seen as such an important figure to liberals. But I did read up on her and she's done some nice stuff. some philanthropy here and there. did a concert which raised $4 million for obama. voted for obama. calls herself a feminist. endorses same-sex marriage. speaks out for trans rights. does NOT like Zimmerman murdering a black person. Donated a cool .09% of her net worth to a housing program in Texas. participated in a telethon for Haiti relief (with special guests Clooney, our boy). and a few other charities she likes to participate in. Very nice Beyonce. That's some good stuff.

You'd think stuff like this would be the bare minimum to be a liberal, not be a loving icon for the cause. The richer you get, the lower the bar goes. When you're rich, as long as you're not a complete piece of poo poo, all you need to do is say you're for equality + donate some pocket change, and all of sudden you're a champion for the cause. Secure your legacy. Show how brave you are for giving a poo poo. You're not like the other rich people; you care.

People spend their entire lives trying to help people, slugging it out in the trenches, all while making poo poo pay. They will never go down in history. But if your rich, talk about how much you love gay and black people: its all it takes to be loved by entire movements.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
American royalty worship is as disgusting and shallow as royalty worship anywhere else.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

steinrokkan posted:

im gonna kill the grown ups who put beyonce on par with malala and ginsburg

That artist apparently can't draw black people

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
what are you talking about "generic geometric face 02 - circle" is a valid choice

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
She's one of if not the biggest voice telling a group that traditionally gets dumped on, stolen from, or ignored constantly (black girls) that who and what they are is important and worthy of being celebrated.

Like don't get me wrong she isn't really comparable to civil rights champions or people who have suffered real consequences for important causes but she's not nothing when the alternative is people like Lena "Black Bucks" Dunham or Taylor "What Are Problems" Swift.

Laughing at autocorrect recognising Beyonce but not Malala though.

quote:

You'd think stuff like this would be the bare minimum to be a liberal, not be a loving icon for the cause. The richer you get, the lower the bar goes. When you're rich, as long as you're not a complete piece of poo poo, all you need to do is say you're for equality + donate some pocket change, and all of sudden you're a champion for the cause. Secure your legacy. Show how brave you are for giving a poo poo. You're not like the other rich people; you care.

People spend their entire lives trying to help people, slugging it out in the trenches, all while making poo poo pay. They will never go down in history. But if your rich, talk about how much you love gay and black people: its all it takes to be loved by entire movements.
All this is correct and sucks also.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Sweatshops are empowering

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Remember when Ginsburg told Kaepernick to shut up?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Kaepernick should shut up because football is for dorks.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Ego-bot posted:

The meltdown from people after that was hilarious.

like you can't stray one inch from some of these idiot's narratives.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

quote:

Female traffic light signals to go up at pedestrian crossing as Committee for Melbourne tackles 'unconscious bias'
By Yvette Gray

Pedestrian traffic lights depicting female figures will be installed in Melbourne's CBD today as a part of a lobby group's push for gender equality.

Ten female pedestrian figures will be installed on traffic lights at the intersection of Swanston and Flinders streets as part of a VicRoads-approved 12-month trial.

The Committee for Melbourne — a non-profit organisation comprising more than 120 Melbourne business and community groups — is behind the move.

Chief executive Martine Letts said having only green or red silhouettes of men discriminated against women.

"The idea is to install traffic lights with female representation, as well as male representation, to help reduce unconscious bias," she said.

Ms Letts said the group wanted to see female and male representation on all pedestrian crossings.

"We know that Melbourne is the world's most liveable city and we would really like to see Melbourne also known as the world's most equal city.

"The aim is to move towards one-to-one male and female representation across the state of Victoria."

It costs an average of $8,400 to change six traffic lights.

Ms Letts said some people had questioned the move, but said the program was backed by Victorian Governor Linda Dessau.

"Some people have expressed a little scepticism wondering whether it's gesture politics rather than having any real substance," she said.

"But these symbols are a practical and meaningful way to demonstrate that in fact 50 per cent of our population is female and should therefore also be represented at traffic lights."

The program has been funded by the Committee for Melbourne and Bayswater company Camlex Electrical.

Last year the City of Yarra paid tribute to Victoria's first female councillor, Mary Rogers, by placing her silhouette in a pedestrian crossing at a major intersection in Richmond.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
How masculine are regular Australian crossing lights?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Why not just a red X and a green O?

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Beyonce performed for Gaddafi's family.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Peanut President posted:

Why not just a red X and a green O?

Why do you want to erase women?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Does the new sign have a dress and giant tits?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

COWBOYS CROSSING

YEE HAW

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Minge Binge posted:

i don't keep up much with pop culture politics, so I have no idea why beyonce is seen as such an important figure to liberals.
because their train of thought is just "i like this person's music, therefore their politics is good." it would be the same way regardless of whether they actually do stuff to help people, which, admittedly, beyonce does. the inverse to this is someone like iggy azalea, whose music sucks and therefore is bad for society. then you've got taylor swift, who everyone wants to be on their side even though she only cares about making music and not making statements either way

it's all about establishment libs and their followers clinging on to what power they still have, while ignoring the power that they're losing everywhere else

Minge Binge posted:

...speaks out for trans rights.
tell that to the people for the pro-trans referendum in Houston that reached out to beyonce several times for an endorsement only to get silence from her every time

Ego-bot posted:

she stepped back from those remarks so points to her. this is still true though
https://twitter.com/lowenaffchen/status/738113674762702848

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

get that OUT of my face posted:

she stepped back from those remarks so points to her. this is still true though
https://twitter.com/lowenaffchen/status/738113674762702848

god those things are a loving scam.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.

Andorra posted:

In that case she owns

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

im going to gently caress those traffic lights

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The idea of giving a home to homeless people is nice, but then again I spend all my waking hours wanting to kill myself at a job I hate so I can afford my house...

Fuckin' capitalism.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Andorra posted:

So? Gaddafi was awesome.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

# of goons gaddafi killed = 0
# of goons killed by people after gaddafi = 1

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

call to action posted:

So? Gaddafi was awesome.

my favorite gaddafi moment (plus Donald Trump's gaddafi anecdote):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlhg_QF1cBk&t=7140s

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Minge Binge posted:

If I had a 100 million dollars I would just donate like $95M, resulting in the entire nation praising me as literally Jesus despite me still being a rich person with 5 million dollars. I'd be on the covers of magazines for my unbridled generosity due to the immense sacrifice of going from "really loving rich" to merely "really rich." Poor single mothers working several jobs to make ends meet would encourage their children to look upon me as a role model.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

OTHER BAD-

rear end LADIES

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Terror Sweat posted:

Sweatshops are empowering

Your clothing line is tawdry crap but I'll give you a bit of a pass since you have to deal with such a creepy father.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

If I had a 100 million dollars I would just donate like $95M, resulting in the entire nation praising me as literally Jesus despite me still being a rich person with 5 million dollars. I'd be on the covers of magazines for my unbridled generosity due to the immense sacrifice of going from "really loving rich" to merely "really rich." Poor single mothers working several jobs to make ends meet would encourage their children to look upon me as a role model.

pay for a single mother's cancer treatment (<1M) and you will get the same effect plus you'll get to ride around in speedboats and do a lot of coke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde