Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I was really hoping that he would just tell everyone he's Green Arrow, I mean every villain already knows who he is and all his family and friends are already risking their lives as vigilantes except Susan I guess but he can protect her right?

That would open him up to prosecution for the many crimes he's committed, including the recent murder of a cop that he himself attributed to the Green Arrow.

It would also put a lot of pressure on the police to bring him in. It's one thing to pretend like you're trying really hard to catch a mysterious vigilante while secretly giving him a pass, it's another to just refuse to arrest the guy when everyone knows who he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
not sure if it's true, but I'd laugh my rear end off if it's laurel. :D

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005
I liked the surprise reveal of Prometheus' identity. As far as his motivations - it seems to me Prometheus has been clear from the start his entire goal is to screw up Oliver Queen's life, and that's really his only goal. He's just about vengeance and making Ollie's life miserable. He's doing a pretty good job of that. He doesn't want to fight Ollie "to the death," but "to the pain."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Count me in with people who enjoyed the Prometheus twist. Here I had just got done saying that the reveal was going to be a disappointment because they had strung it out too long and not made Prometheus a visible enough character. So there they go swerving that by making a genuinely surprising reveal that also retroactively makes Prometheus a constant character all season. Kudos, Arrow. Well played.

I also am half expecting the season to end with Oliver admitting he's Green Arrow. It does open potential problems about him being charged with his crimes but we've seen that the cops and city seemed to have been ok turning a blind eye to that and I guess they could handwave away the S1 murders as the work of Roy/The Hood. After all they made it kind of clear that was the common belief when the recruits were surprised to learn the truth.

twistedmentat posted:

I'm behind by an episode, but were we supposed to feel sorry for Reporter Lady being framed for stealing other peoples work to protect Oliver? The show presented her as if she was using their relationship to get conformation of him being the Green Arrow.

The show was teasing the idea that she'd betray Oliver or was playing him but she never actually did anything to that affect and when she became convinced he was Green Arrow she privately asked him instead of running the story and exposing him. She was a red herring and the big swerve was that Thea ended up doing the unethical thing and hurting her when she was unquestionably an innocent.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 3, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

As mayor, I hereby pardon the Green Arrow of all his crimes.

It doesn't matter if mayors can't do that look at how the show treats boards and CEOs.

Also I am the Green Arrow.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
I was actually thinking he was going to pull an "Arrest the Green Arrow, I am the Green Arrow." at the end of his press conference.

Maybe he will go to jail at the end of the season and next season he has to escape.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Since Supermax will never get made just do it as season 6.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

bentacos posted:

I was actually thinking he was going to pull an "Arrest the Green Arrow, I am the Green Arrow." at the end of his press conference.

Maybe he will go to jail at the end of the season and next season he has to escape.

That's how they'll deal with losing the flashback structure. Instead of flashbacks, the show will flash sideways to Oliver in prison. But the main story will be about his team Outside the prison. Maybe they'll have a name that explains that they are Outside the prison, I dunno.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
The Not Insiders!

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Prometheus is actually the CEO's son who stole Chase's identity. The real Chase is Vigilante.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
I thought that was the weakest episode this season even with the Prometheus reveal.
Vigilante is starting to annoy me - he is portrayed as this gun master, but he can't hit a barn door. Plus they are way overusing his disappear into nowhere thing - twice in one fight in reaction to the balls and when getting thrown off the roof. Pretty much every time he has shown up it is to spray bullets, have a little fight then, poof, gone in the blink of an eye.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

nooneofconsequence posted:

Prometheus is actually the CEO's son who stole Chase's identity. The real Chase is Vigilante.

I'm betting this is what it is. It's what they did on Flash, only it'll work because it's not pants on head stupid

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I would definitely not be surprised if the story is that its the kid Oliver thought it was who just made up or stole the "Adrian Chase" identity for this plot.

But I doubt the Vigilante is the real one. They've given no indication he has any tie to Prometheus and it would just be very silly. And no one gives a poo poo about the Vigilante's origin. The show barely even treats him as much more than an after thought. He's the random bad vigilante who shows up once and awhile but one time Barry left him tied up in a warehouse and Oliver didn't even ask him to speed back and pick him up before he got loose.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

nooneofconsequence posted:

This would be acceptable.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Vigilante is Earth-2 Oliver Queen, who didn't really die, but survived to become a crazy, gun-toting nut job and then crossed over to Earth-1 when Zoom brought all those villains over last season on Flash.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
What if Vigilante is Diggles brother. Didn't he die before Barry hosed everything up. Or was it this season that he died. I can't remember.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hollismason posted:

What if Vigilante is Diggles brother. Didn't he die before Barry hosed everything up. Or was it this season that he died. I can't remember.

Nooooo please God let the Diggle's brother storyline stay dead.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
Maybe Vigilante is actually Justin Clayborne's son and wait that's not right

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Vigilante is clearly Mad Dogs other personality, having less of an internal struggle about killing with guns.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Rhyno posted:

This is the kind of poo poo that bugs me in adaptations. Like, why even use Vigilante/Chase if you're going to swerve like that?

They do swerves like that all the time now (like with "Jay Garrick" and "Hank Henshaw") I guess to keep people familiar with the comics on their toes.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

bbf2 posted:

They do swerves like that all the time now (like with "Jay Garrick" and "Hank Henshaw") I guess to keep people familiar with the comics on their toes.

Both of those ended up being the real comic version too.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

bbf2 posted:

Vince Russo is writing Flash?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think now Vigilante is someone we've seen before. The producers now say that his story won't be resolved this season it'll go into next year and he'll be revealed at some point then. I like the idea of carrying over that mystery to another season. Having one antagonist span seasons is a good idea.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

STAC Goat posted:

The show was teasing the idea that she'd betray Oliver or was playing him but she never actually did anything to that affect and when she became convinced he was Green Arrow she privately asked him instead of running the story and exposing him. She was a red herring and the big swerve was that Thea ended up doing the unethical thing and hurting her when she was unquestionably an innocent.

I can see that, but it wasn't one of those things where it seemed like she was up to no good, leaving it to the audience to make the assumption, no it was shot as she was straight up plotting to expose Oliver. It's probably more sloppy writing and shooting more than anything though.

Okay now caught up. I honestly forgot about Prometheus and the reaveal did nothing, as he's been a non-entity for a lot of this season.

Though is Vigilante supposed to be a version of the comics one, the high planes troubadour? Seems like an extreme departure. Like if they made Beast Boy a blood mad killer.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Mar 6, 2017

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

twistedmentat posted:

I can see that, but it wasn't one of those things where it seemed like she was up to no good, leaving it to the audience to make the assumption, no it was shot as she was straight up plotting to expose Oliver. It's probably more sloppy writing and shooting more than anything though.

Okay now caught up. I honestly forgot about Prometheus and the reaveal did nothing, as he's been a non-entity for a lot of this season.

Though is Vigilante supposed to be a version of the comics one, the high planes troubadour? Seems like an extreme departure. Like if they made Beast Boy a blood mad killer.

Wrong one https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vigilante_(comics)#Adrian_Chase

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

X-O posted:

This show is good right now, let's not infect it with Flash bullshit.

Haha what.

Flash is apparently the bad one at the moment. shrug

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

bentacos posted:

I will accept this if he is helped by Captain Cold and Heatwave.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

twistedmentat posted:

See, I don't think it was a mistake. It was an intentional misdirect. Her subplot was framed in such a way as she find out all her stuff in dark alleys and secret meetings and we were being guided to expect her to put the story and her career ambition over any feelings she had for Oliver or protection of his cause. But when push came to shove she didn't just expose him even though she had the evidence to do so. She went to him with it first, and seemingly not as a reporter ready to print a story and just looking for a comment but rather as someone who cares. And after she's cleared she basically makes it clear she intends to keep Oliver's secret.

That's the thing. They framed it as "shady" but in reality all she was doing was investigative journalism. We were just looking at it from the perspective of her being the enemy, especially through Thea's relationship with her and opinion of her. And in the head Susan ends up making the "ethical" choice and Thea makes the unethical one.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 7, 2017

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Zebulon posted:

What kind of dickboat invites someone to dinner to give them divorce papers then just leaves right after.
People on TV shows and movies all the time. It was super obvious that that was going to happen. Like, as soon as Curtis said that he was meeting Paul for dinner I thought "Oh, he's going to divorce you" because although it would be a really weird way to do that in real life, it's pretty much the standard option in fiction.

STAC Goat posted:

And no one gives a poo poo about the Vigilante's origin. The show barely even treats him as much more than an after thought. He's the random bad vigilante who shows up once and awhile but one time Barry left him tied up in a warehouse and Oliver didn't even ask him to speed back and pick him up before he got loose.
They really don't seem at all concerned with identifying or catching him. Like, this episode they beat him and then just kind of stood around congratulating each other while he presumably just got up and walked away.

twistedmentat posted:

Yeah, I was like "Oh, the guy who was obviously too good to be true is secretly one of the two bad guys who haven't really done anything that I remember. OK."

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

X-O posted:

I think now Vigilante is someone we've seen before. The producers now say that his story won't be resolved this season it'll go into next year and he'll be revealed at some point then. I like the idea of carrying over that mystery to another season. Having one antagonist span seasons is a good idea.

Well Vigilante is definitely not Deadshot as this guy is convinced that guns are a 'more efficient' method for disposing of the bad guys he only drops brass instead of bodies. His disappearing act is impressive.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

STAC Goat posted:

See, I don't think it was a mistake. It was an intentional misdirect. Her subplot was framed in such a way as she find out all her stuff in dark alleys and secret meetings and we were being guided to expect her to put the story and her career ambition over any feelings she had for Oliver or protection of his cause. But when push came to shove she didn't just expose him even though she had the evidence to do so. She went to him with it first, and seemingly not as a reporter ready to print a story and just looking for a comment but rather as someone who cares. And after she's cleared she basically makes it clear she intends to keep Oliver's secret.

That's the thing. They framed it as "shady" but in reality all she was doing was investigative journalism. We were just looking at it from the perspective of her being the enemy, especially through Thea's relationship with her and opinion of her. And in the head Susan ends up making the "ethical" choice and Thea makes the unethical one.

It would have worked better if there was subtlety about the whole thing, rather than there being a giant :siren: over every scene that screams LOOK SHE'S EVIL! Only to turn around and go "Lol just kidding!" at the end. Maybe if we had seen her just once being conflicted about what to do with the info or even her confronting Oliver about it and grappling with the cost of revealing it verses the benefits of doing it.

Tiggum posted:

Yeah, I was like "Oh, the guy who was obviously too good to be true is secretly one of the two bad guys who haven't really done anything that I remember. OK."

I honestly thought Vigilante was Prometheus for a while until I realized that one was dressed in burlap and the other looked like a snowboarder. Also not revealing Vigilante until next season is such a transparent attempt to stretch out a mystery that no one really cares about.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

twistedmentat posted:

It would have worked better if there was subtlety about the whole thing, rather than there being a giant :siren: over every scene that screams LOOK SHE'S EVIL! Only to turn around and go "Lol just kidding!" at the end.

I disagree. She was doing her job unlike a certain super hero's girlfriend investigative reporter in Central City. We knew she was a potential threat, but we didn't know exactly what she would do, maybe she didn't know what she would do, which keeps it interesting.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

twistedmentat posted:

I honestly thought Vigilante was Prometheus for a while until I realized that one was dressed in burlap and the other looked like a snowboarder.
Yeah, I only remembered there were two bad guys because they were both in the same episode.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

twistedmentat posted:

It would have worked better if there was subtlety about the whole thing, rather than there being a giant :siren: over every scene that screams LOOK SHE'S EVIL! Only to turn around and go "Lol just kidding!" at the end. Maybe if we had seen her just once being conflicted about what to do with the info or even her confronting Oliver about it and grappling with the cost of revealing it verses the benefits of doing it.
We DID see her confront Oliver with it. That was the entire point. Instead of publishing the story, which she had more than enough evidence to do, she talked to Oliver about it. Then she didn't publish the story long enough for Thea and Felicity to set her up. And then she again didn't publish the story after she was cleared.

We didn't see her wrestling with the ethics or personal drama of it but that was presumably to keep the anxiety of what she'd do with it. But I don't know what the "sirens" or "she's evil" stuff you saw were. Nothing she did ever really presented her in that light besides the initial introduction of her as a reporter pressing the Queen Administration hard. Which Oliver pretty much admitted she was justified in doing seeing as how he was completely inexperienced, seemingly neglectful of the job, and hired a disgraced alcoholic ex-cop who had illegally conspired with the corrupt (and literally evil) elements in the last administration as his deputy who then had to take a leave for rehab. Not to mention the bigger problems in Star City.

Our entire framework for Susan is basically through two perspectives. Thea's initial unpleasant experience being grilled by her so her repeatedly insisting she was evil for doing her job, and Oliver pointing out that she was doing her job and asking people to give her a chance. You just seem to have connected more with Thea's perspective.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I guess so, and the shot where she gets the pictures of Green Arrow in Russia is framed so insanely sinister it probably clouded my perception of her entire arc.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew
Christ, goons are seriously incomparable when it comes to face blindness. I thought they were both David Mitchell!

Like, they sound completely different, look completely different, act completely different and use entirely different weapons. You're just bad at watching TV shows.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

No Arrow tonight? Pfeh.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

BSam posted:

Haha what.

Flash is apparently the bad one at the moment. shrug

They're both fighting hard for forth place behind Supergirl and Legends.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

They're both fighting hard for forth place behind Supergirl and Legends.

nah mate they all good

well, ignoring the lovely gun control ep of arrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

BSam posted:

nah mate they all good

well, ignoring the lovely gun control ep of arrow

Yeah, gently caress that poo poo.

• Locked thread