Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Powered Descent posted:

Guinan is a better counselor than Troi.

Quark is a better counselor than Troi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Powered Descent posted:

Riker is a better counselor then Troi, and you get an orgasm out of the deal as well.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Morn is a better Counselor than all previously mentioned

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
O'Brien is the best councilor, not because of training or anything, it's just that once you hear him talk about his life your problems feel so insignificant.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
I tried to think of what Troi was good at other than being an ineffective leader and outdone councillor, but then I found her wikipedia article:

quote:

Gene Roddenberry intended her to have four breasts, before his wife told him this was a poor idea.
:wtc:

quote:

She had, in total, five readings all with Gene Roddenberry and other executives. It has been noted that Roddenberry took a liking to her almost immediately.
It was said that Marina Sirtis had a more "exotic" feel about her.
Oh Gene.

quote:

After six years, the producers decided to drop the "sexy and brainless" Troi and make her a stronger character
For the last season, we're not going to make you a four titted exotic sex kitten. We're going to make you a real bridge officer. Should be great.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 6, 2017

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I tried to think of what Troi was good at other than being an ineffective leader and outdone councillor, but then I found her wikipedia article:

Oh Gene.

For the last season, we're not going to make you a four titted exotic sex kitten. We're going to make you a real bridge officer. Should be great.

*while watching worf get the poo poo kicked out of him* I'm sensing.... great rage...

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I really need to know what the proposed layout was going to be. Straight 4? 2+2? Back and front? 3-1?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Oh Gene.

Ensign Sonya Gomez had 3 breasts in Total Recall

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Oh Gene.

Season 5 they really started giving Troi more to do, and Sirtis did well with everything they gave her.

But it took 5 seasons, and Crusher continued to be a mannequin for a red wig to rest on all the way through the movies.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I believe season 4 was the last one made with rod n berries still alive

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Ensign Sonya Gomez had 3 breasts in Total Recall

Gomez was also supposed to stick around as a love interest for Geordi

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

shadow puppet of a posted:

I really need to know what the proposed layout was going to be. Straight 4? 2+2? Back and front? 3-1?

All over her forehead. (That's what all alien forehead bumps are, you know.)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

Season 5 they really started giving Troi more to do, and Sirtis did well with everything they gave her.

But it took 5 seasons, and Crusher continued to be a mannequin for a red wig to rest on all the way through the movies.

Which season has the crusher sex ghost because that's so Roddenberry it hurts

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

corn in the bible posted:

Which season has the crusher sex ghost because that's so Roddenberry it hurts

7, i think

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2r3pIF07x1w&t=162s

Results may vary

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Sex candle was the best counselor of all.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Didn't Troi do pretty well as an infiltrator on that episode where the cold open was her waking up as a Romulan?

Meredith Baxter-Burnout posted:

Sex candle was the best counselor of all.

If there's one thing we watch sci-fi shows for it's Magic Sex Ghost Candles.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Brofessor Slayton posted:

Didn't Troi do pretty well as an infiltrator on that episode where the cold open was her waking up as a Romulan?

If there's one thing we watch sci-fi shows for it's Magic Sex Ghost Candles.

You tend to be pretty motivated as a spy on a Romulan Warbird when your life is on the line and you're among the race that wrote the book on espionage.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

The real question we've all been avoiding is this:

Is Neelix a better counseler than Troi?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The real question we've all been avoiding is this:

Is Neelix a better counseler than Troi?

Canonically being the go-to crewmember to murder as holodeck stress-relief doesn't count.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Canonically being the go-to crewmember to murder as holodeck stress-relief doesn't count.

Technically he was also the morale officer.

That episode with the Maquis revolt holodeck program, but instead everyone on the crew is playing Neelix Choking Sim. Change nothing else - The mysterious author is still Tuvok, Seska still booby-traps it to kill anyone trying to modify it.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

shadow puppet of a posted:

Whatever way looks most like a comm badge

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Do you think galaxy class ships have a PTA that all the stay at quarters moms join and try to stab each other in the back over?

Now I want to make a Fiasco Playset about this

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You tend to be pretty motivated as a spy on a Romulan Warbird when your life is on the line and you're among the race that wrote the book on espionage.

She still spent half the time crying and acting scared

The General
Mar 4, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_sUtXAl24o

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Technically he was also the morale officer.

Which made the scene where he publicly fights Tom Paris while shouting "I'LL KILL YOU!!" all the more hilarious.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Is anyone optimistic for Discovery? Best case is I can see it being better than Voyager or Enterprise, worst case is it's terrible no-budget poo poo that goes nowhere because nobody will pay for CBS All Access.

worst case is it's actually the best star trek thing since the peak of DS9 and it's shitcanned because CBS All Access is still going to be dead on arrival

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Nicholas Meyer is involved right? So the odds are it'll be good.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

basic hitler posted:

Is anyone optimistic for Discovery? Best case is I can see it being better than Voyager or Enterprise, worst case is it's terrible no-budget poo poo that goes nowhere because nobody will pay for CBS All Access.

worst case is it's actually the best star trek thing since the peak of DS9 and it's shitcanned because CBS All Access is still going to be dead on arrival

CBS is trying very hard to constructively sabotage the show so they can bury it ASAP due to low ratings, regardless of potential quality.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

basic hitler posted:

Enterprise would have stood a chance if they hadn't gone with the hair band rock ballad intro.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

I legit like the episode they did with her as basically having to fake being a Romulan spy. I think they could have a lot better poo poo with Troi than having her be space raped a bunch.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I'm excited for STD. And from what I've read, it's getting 6 or 7 million an episode thanks to Netflix. The head of CBS is on drugs though. Nobody is signing up for CBS All Access just for Star Trek.

I might have, but am in Canada and can't.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

basic hitler posted:

It doesn't sound promising, but I'm trying to stay optimistic, or at least neutral. After all, we don't know a drat thing for sure until we see the premiere episode.

I'm reminding myself that my first impression when I heard of the Battlestar Galactica reboot was: "Welp, created by a writer from Voyager and featuring platinum blonde Cylons played by an actress who was a Victoria's Secret model, this totally won't suck, no sir" and then it totally didn't suck, no sir, and then I came to respect that writer and that platinum blonde actress.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
By all accounts the production is huge mess and what little concept art they've shown looks like rear end, so I'm currently not expecting anything. Granted, people always predict the new show is going to suck and garbage mess productions have turned out great episodes and movies before, so who knows

Star Trek is my first love but I'd probably give more of a poo poo if this were still 1987 and we all weren't sitting on TNG, 3 other spinoffs and 4 movies in addition to other shows like Babylon 5 and remake of Battlestar Galactica plus the near-parody Stargate franchise. Oh also can't forget the poo poo-tier syndicated shows from the 90's like Andromeda that further ran every single trope of the genre so far into the ground that declaring anything at all to be "at ___%!" is a trigger phrase for a generation of nerds

e: Basically the question I keep coming back to in my head is what does a new Star Trek show have to offer anybody in 2017 but fanservice waxed with a corporately approved vaguely progressive sheen if we're lucky

Tighclops fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Mar 7, 2017

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Alan_Shore posted:

Nicholas Meyer is involved right? So the odds are it'll be good.

Meyer said recently that his involvement has been reduced to a consultant role.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

The General posted:

Nobody is signing up for CBS All Access just for Star Trek.

I might have, but am in Canada and can't.

For us it's being shown on Space and then streaming on CraveTV.

And all star trek will be removed from Netflix Canada

:canada:
:smithicide:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I remember the promotional blurbs with ST:D's announcement being about how diverse the cast was going to be, as if that was even a novel thing for star trek. It was worrysome because deep space 9 had well written poc in leadership, lesbian kisses, bisexual alien spies, and an overall ahead-of-its-time approach to that stuff. And yeah, Voyager and Enterprise did a hard backslide into tasteless tits n' rear end horseshit but I expect star trek to be well written and inclusive, that's part of the feature set. So for the head people to be bragging about how modern and progressive it's gonna be... I smell a really lovely sci-fi with a less garak and more overt pandering to my desire to suck on a dick. I'm not going to like that if I end up being right. I'm gonna be mad.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

One thing to remember is that nothing can hold a candle to the cluster gently caress nightmare that was TNG season 1. So even if there is trouble behind the scenes, it just might all work out.

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km5qVwZvjm8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Gorelab posted:

I legit like the episode they did with her as basically having to fake being a Romulan spy. I think they could have a lot better poo poo with Troi than having her be space raped a bunch.

The legacy of Cannon Films lives on