Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
He did lead to a whole planet being infested to the point of needing to change universes. His daughter also only wants his attention because he caused her abandonment issues. The planet also couldn't stand him because he brings the worst out of him. He's infallible when it comes to adventures since he goes on so many of them but when it comes to interpersonal relationships he fails at a basic fundamental level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Bust Rodd posted:

Rick & Morty is popular because Futurama was the only Sci-Fi comedy on TV for like 10 years and it was originally set for family appeal, which is why the movies and late seasons come off as edgy or cringey, because they started writing toward mature audiences.

Rick & Morty has never been for children and doesn't ever talk down to the viewer, it just talks down to Morty & Jerry. Further, R&M has tons of discussion about morality and emotional availability, like I could bring up more than half the episodes here, but also is zany and madcap and graphic, so it's entertaining to watch and thought provoking, which is rare in modern cartoons.

When's the last time you were watching an animated western show and had to pause it because you were really thinking about what just happened? Rick & Morty does that for a shitload of sadbrainz nerds like me, because it is written by sadbrainz nerds for sadbrainz nerds, and we don't get TV that doesn't treat us the The Big Bang Theory does...

The Big Bang Theory doesn't treat you like anything.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Im definitely not watching this show now

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
People only like R+M because they are emotionally retarded.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
ok anyway I just remembered anotehr low point of the simpsons that caused my younger self to clue in "yeah this is becoming poo poo"

The one where grandpa got a girlfriend who was just using him to drive her around places. He crashes his car and she leaves him for someone else, then it ends with him and Bart going to Branson to tell her off

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

Look, the way to judge quality of a show or movie is to watch it and see if you can identify any keyword on tvtropes or cultural buzzword (i.e. "Mary Sue", "Manic Pixie Dream Girl")

If you found one, smugly point it out. Congrats you are now smarter than the show, and have "leveled up" in intellectual & cultural points!!!

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
Rick & Morty is funny show but all these attempts to defend it are cringy as hell. It's a cartoon, just laugh at the funny jokes guys

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
justin roiland had a meltdown on twitter when the animation staff wanted to unionize

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Johnny Aztec posted:

People only like R+M because they are emotionally retarded.

It's a bunch of delusional tangents of how rick can possibly not be a total rear end in a top hat.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Code Jockey posted:

watched the Frank Grimes episode tonight and while I like it more thanks to this thread, I still think it would've been better if they'd toned down Homer being a jackass

If the real point was to play off of Homer's ridiculous life, and in a larger sense how TV handles characters like that, they could've done that just as well without Homer being so over the top

Homer did nothing wrong

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

how come all the shows are animated in korea. is it just they're cheap assholes.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Groovelord Neato posted:

how come all the shows are animated in korea. is it just they're cheap assholes.

Yep.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

tag youre fat posted:

justin roiland had a meltdown on twitter when the animation staff wanted to unionize

I want to know more

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
This thread about Simpsons is now about people getting mad about things other people do or don't like and calling each other retarded.
I'm sure that's some kind of commentary but much like the Simpsons, I don't care enough to give it more thought.

keepitstanky
Mar 5, 2017

by Smythe

Universe Master posted:

Everything with Lisa

this

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
Man, I've been noticing you guys keep disagreeing... calling each other retards. I guess that kinda makes you the retards, huh? Anyway... I'm out.

No, I don't have anything to add.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Frank Grimes Jr. is one of the better Sideshow Bob episodes.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

54 40 or gently caress posted:

This talk makes me think of Moral Orel which I hated at first because it seemed lame but holy poo poo it gets incredibly dark by the last season

That show was insane. It's not something I would go back and watch again, but it stands out to me as a work of authentic modern art. The way in spirals out of control combined with the political and religious messaging were mind blowing and you really didn't see it coming from the first episodes.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
The only real art on tv was wonder showzen and xavier renegade angel

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

The only real art on tv was wonder showzen and xavier renegade angel

Yeah but I didn't say art I said "modern art". It reminds me of those weird videos you can see at modern art museums that are designed to make the viewer as uncomfortable as possible.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I just like Rick and Morty because it's got rapid-fire timing, creative visuals and episode concepts, inventive musical bits, rips on a wide variety of sci-fi and movie tropes, and some perceptive observations about disfunctional relationships. And it's funny.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

Yeah but I didn't say art I said "modern art". It reminds me of those weird videos you can see at modern art museums that are designed to make the viewer as uncomfortable as possible.
take THAT taste the pain

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

sassassin posted:

Frank Grimes Jr. is one of the better Sideshow Bob episodes.

All the Sideshow Bob episodes are golden except the recent one where he uses science to get superpowers or something.

sketch_nimrod
Apr 1, 2010
much like the simpsons this thread started off as smart and thought provoking then evolved into a bunch of retarded assholes shouting at each other

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

sketch_nimrod posted:

much like the simpsons this thread started off as smart and thought provoking then evolved into a bunch of retarded assholes shouting at each other
there's only so much mileage over saying how much the simpsons suck. hell if people are gonna go into stuff past season 14

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

this thread was been pretty good around pages 3-9 but it's been downhill ever since

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the episode name tonight is "22 for 30" and here's the description

quote:

In this parody of a cable sports show, Bart goes from delinquent with detention to the star basketball player at Springfield Elementary. Lisa covers Bart's success for the school paper, and Homer becomes the team’s coach. Things go awry when Bart gets involved with the mafia.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Maya Fey posted:

this thread was been pretty good around pages 3-9 but it's been downhill ever since

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

get that OUT of my face posted:

the episode name tonight is "22 for 30" and here's the description

I wonder if the first draft of this substituted the mafia for rape allegations.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
22 minutes of actual show for a 30 minute scheduling slot

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

PostNouveau posted:

All the Sideshow Bob episodes are golden except the recent one where he uses science to get superpowers or something.

sideshow bob episodes are awful though ??

e. except maybe the first and I did find that part where he and bart were on the boat and bob was singing gilbert and sullivan funny

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Ralph Hurley posted:

Frank Grimes had what I thought was a kind of cool, easily missed character quirk where he nervously wiped his sweaty hand on his pants before shaking hands with someone. He did it at least twice in the episode and it was never acknowledged.

One of my favorite things about the episode is how the entire B-story of Bart getting a dilapidated building from a city auction sets up a perfect throwaway line when Grimey comes to dinner. There really wasn't anything in Simpsons canon to that point to make anyone jealous of having Bart as a kid, but that side story let Homer throw in that his son "owns a factory downtown" in his haste to make himself look good. It's just one of many things that contributes to Grimey's meltdown, but that scene doesn't work nearly as well if he has to lie about or gloss over Bart. Homer needed to be sincere yet have zero self-awareness to really (unknowingly) twist the knife.

I'd like to think that whole Bart story was crafted just for that one joke, even if the truth is more along the lines of "Well I just copied the Bart stories we already have and added this abandoned building to lower wind resistance, and I feel this Milhouse gag is pretty sharp," "Agreed first prize!"

Sometimes to make the best episodes, you have to be a little lucky.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I dunno what that other synopsis was, but the episode tonight picked up directly after Kamp Krusty, with the kids coming home to therapy for their trauma.

Also, Homer becomes volcel.

I think the people from Masters of Sex were the guest stars or maybe they were just making fun of them. Their voices aren't distinctive enough to tell.

It was ... not good but not an atrocity.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

PostNouveau posted:

There are a dozen of them including one where he has an Italian family and "vendetta!" makes up half the dialogue.

The one with Niles is the best one.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
my favorite Sideshow Bob is the one where he steps on rakes

how have they ruined that gag in the new seasons

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

sassassin posted:

There are a dozen of them including one where he has an Italian family and "vendetta!" makes up half the dialogue.

The one with Niles is the best one.

The Italian family one was good. He has a good thing going and desperately begs the Simpsons not to blow it up and Lisa gets drunk and blows it up. What's not to like?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

PostNouveau posted:

The Italian family one was good. He has a good thing going and desperately begs the Simpsons not to blow it up and Lisa gets drunk and blows it up. What's not to like?

It's not funny op

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

Ein cooler Typ posted:

my favorite Sideshow Bob is the one where he steps on rakes

how have they ruined that gag in the new seasons

The rakes go up his anus and homer starts a home proctology centre, but apu takes him to court because homer was secretly married to menjulip

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Every situation sounds like it could actually be an episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Nonviolent J posted:

The rakes go up his anus and homer starts a home proctology centre, but apu takes him to court because homer was secretly married to menjulip

Guest stars: Tobey McGuire, Paul Simon, Edward Norton