Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Rick posted:

The Lakers are what the Pelicans needed to finally get a win it's starting to look like but even then they were down at the half.

The Pels look so unorganized on offense and defense since the trade. I plan to give them a full 10 games before I really make any conclusions, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

The Mavs own and are dope

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Kibner posted:

The Pels look so unorganized on offense and defense since the trade. I plan to give them a full 10 games before I really make any conclusions, though.
It definitely takes time to integrate a star player into an NBA offense.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Kibner posted:

Yeah I'm not too worried about them, other than the fact that there just isn't much season left.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Crazy Ted posted:

It definitely takes time to integrate a star player into an NBA offense.

Their defense is all discombobulated, too, because they are no longer able to use the switch everything style defense they had been all year (once Asik and Ajinca fell out of the rotation, anyway).

As it is, it looks like they run one type of offense when just Davis is in, one when it's just Cousins, and a third when it's both.

The defense changes depending on if Boogie is on the court or not.

A whole bunch of miscommunication on both ends and a lot more awkward, uncomfortable possessions on offense compared to before the trade.

I expected this, which is why I won't start sweating about it until they get another four or five games together under their belt.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Rick posted:

Yeah I'm not too worried about them, other than the fact that there just isn't much season left.

Once it became obvious things wouldn't instantly click (that Rockets game), I basically accepted they wouldn't make the playoffs.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
And since I didn't think they had a great shot at the playoffs, I got angry about Casspi's release after his injury.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Wide open corner three: miss

Repeat x10

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Wow what happened it was a like. 15 point deficit last time I looked?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Kibner posted:

And since I didn't think they had a great shot at the playoffs, I got angry about Casspi's release after his injury.

I don't remember Casspi's contract situation but I think having him next year would've been nice even if he was done for the season.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Rick posted:

Wow what happened it was a like. 15 point deficit last time I looked?

Look above and add that to some made 3s from the Lakers.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Rick posted:

I don't remember Casspi's contract situation but I think having him next year would've been nice even if he was done for the season.

He was going to be a rfa in the offseason.

E: and I agree with you

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
David Wesley and Joel Meyers aren't quite sold on Russell being the lead guard for the Lakers.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
It is the popular talking point these days but if you look at the numbers the Lakers are much better when he is on the floor. Also his post all star numbers are great. Looks like he had a rough shooting night though.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Rick posted:

It is the popular talking point these days but if you look at the numbers the Lakers are much better when he is on the floor. Also his post all star numbers are great. Looks like he had a rough shooting night though.

They like him, just not for running the offense long term. They would prefer him as a big shooting guard paired with another guard who has excellent playmaking skills that he can work off of while also being a secondary ball-handler.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Kibner posted:

They like him, just not for running the offense long term. They would prefer him as a big shooting guard paired with another guard who has excellent playmaking skills that he can work off of while also being a secondary ball-handler.

I was a bit rushed but this was what I was trying to respond to. The Lakers score more and pass more when Russell is on the floor largely because he is pretty good at running an offense. When the Lakers struggle to score it's almost always because he's not on the floor. He has a knack for making all the competing and contrasting playing styles of the Lakers starters actually work together.

It's an argument whose origin is people who are trying to make an argument for the Lakers drafting Lonzo Ball even though he's really only going to be able to play the position that Lakers have covered (at least with their starting lineup . . . drafting him to be a backup to me is stupid in a draft with so much guard depth) at the moment. I don't think Russell would be completely lost at two if the Lakers are in position to draft a PG as BPA, but I think they're not using one of his best talents at that point.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Kibner posted:

He was going to be a rfa in the offseason.

E: and I agree with you

Yeah the situation was that they at least have his bird rights and should've waived someone less good like pondexter since the pelicans are capped out?

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I think judging a PG (especially one who is responsible for running the offense or being a playmaker) before he's had several NBA seasons is really hard. A lot of them don't hit their stride until year 4 or 5.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

With some guys you can see that they'll get it eventually. DeAngelo seems that way to me, whereas Elfrid Payton does not

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Tae posted:

Yeah the situation was that they at least have his bird rights and should've waived someone less good like pondexter since the pelicans are capped out?

I think they wanted to keep Pondexter as a small salary match for a trade? I dunno. I don't like the move. As far as being capped out, here are some decent articles on their options:

Using cap room

Operating above the cap

Jrue walks

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Rick posted:

I was a bit rushed but this was what I was trying to respond to. The Lakers score more and pass more when Russell is on the floor largely because he is pretty good at running an offense. When the Lakers struggle to score it's almost always because he's not on the floor. He has a knack for making all the competing and contrasting playing styles of the Lakers starters actually work together.

It's an argument whose origin is people who are trying to make an argument for the Lakers drafting Lonzo Ball even though he's really only going to be able to play the position that Lakers have covered (at least with their starting lineup . . . drafting him to be a backup to me is stupid in a draft with so much guard depth) at the moment. I don't think Russell would be completely lost at two if the Lakers are in position to draft a PG as BPA, but I think they're not using one of his best talents at that point.

They were just upset with his decision making and shot selection and felt a top-end guard that is more careful with the ball when initiating the offense would help Russell be a better player. They talked about him as the best Laker on the floor and that he is still learning the hardest offensive position.

A better Fisher is basically what it sounded like they wanted to pair him with his Kobe.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
D'Lo didn't have a chance to learn poo poo last year so imo this is his first real year in the league anyways. That's clearly ironclad logic and it's also how I feel.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Kibner posted:

But he's not big at shooting guard? He's like, average to below average and would need to put on some weight.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

DeimosRising posted:

But he's not big at shooting guard? He's like, average to below average and would need to put on some weight.

:shrug: I was just trying to explain the broadcasters' opinions and how I think they would defend them. They are just announcers and we all know they are generally wrong!

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Wolves-Blazers might be postponed due to a slippery court

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
ready for jimmy H and the boys to put the fradulent MVP campaign of kawhi leonard to rest

Mr Gentleman
Apr 29, 2003

the Educated Villain of London

big dion is 6/7 for 14 and 2 assists in the first quarter

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
are the knicks the best non-playoff team in the league? let's find out over these last grueling weeks

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
oh christ

Mr Gentleman
Apr 29, 2003

bogut dead already

Pungent Mammy
Jul 29, 2003

The pig is a huge fat pig.
Fallen Rib
For fucks sake Bogut

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
it took loving like 15 minutes

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
what happened

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I really don't understand nba schedules. Why have a team have 4 days of rest in between, and then have them play a back2back immediately

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
he took a knee to the knee or something? i didn't quite catch it

Pungent Mammy
Jul 29, 2003

The pig is a huge fat pig.
Fallen Rib

chunkles posted:

what happened

Banged his shin(?) against another player, hobbled off

Mr Gentleman
Apr 29, 2003

got whacked in the shin by whitesides knee

think he got called for a foul too lol

edit: not whiteside apparently - okaro white?

Mr Gentleman fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 7, 2017

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
KYLE KORVER RUN PLEASE

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

BONEFOOT COOKIN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004