Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Are the weapon stories in game this time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Yeah, they are.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There's also one that is explicitly set quite a long time after Ending E and is plot relevant. (Emil's Heads)

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"
So I've gotten Ending E, and I can't but feel like I came into the game with the wrong expectations. I really wanted it to answer certain questions, and it almost does, but doesn't go all the way. Spoilers for Automata and Drakengard 1 and 3:

So, from my understanding, I believe the implication is that, somehow, the ark manages to cross over into the Drakengard universe and becomes the Cathedral City. This isn't explicitly said, but I feel that's what's being implied there? The ark is said to be going to a "new world", and the Cathedral City is said to have come from the "Old World", where Accord, an android, is from (more on her in a bit).

Furthermore, that would make the Watchers not some otherworldly force, but the machine AI. The fact that the AI is represented by little girls who change into an older man's voice seems to hint strongly at this. As well, the logic virus of the AI creating the red eyes, which seems like a direct link to the Red Eye Disease. If so, then the implication must be that the machine AI somehow figures out how to hack biological "systems" in Drakengard. If this is the case, then it kind of completely re-contextualizes Drakengard as a series, as a lot of the conflict is created around a machine AI instead of some inexplicable otherworldly thing. In addition, is the "magic" of the Cathedral City in actuality advanced technology found and re-purposed by the Magic Academy? This seems plausible to me.

Of course the issue here is that I'm assuming this, instead of the game outright telling, which I wish it had. This leads into Accord.

Accord is an android from the Old World and seems to have an operator like the YoRHa androids (I'm making the assumption the phone call she makes in the final fight with One is to someone like YoRHa's operators), but also seems to be much more advanced in that she can apparently see, interact with, and manipulate various timelines in Drakengard. In addition, the weapon dealer in the Resistance Camp mentions getting weapons from her, which would suggest she's moving weapons back and forth between NieR and Drakengard. However, as far as I'm aware, she never actually shows up in Automata. Since she's an android, I was hoping Automata would explain what's going on with her, but it seems to be a mystery still. However, I haven't 100%ed the game yet - Is there any other mention of Accord to anyone's knowledge?

And that's basically my issue with the game and kind of distracted from me enjoying the endings as they were. I really wanted a solid and canon link back into Drakengard 3, and the game certainly is coy about it, almost like it knew what I wanted but decided to not actually go all the way.

Of course, this is me assuming things based on what Automata hinted at, and I'm not entirely 100% on the Drakengard/NieR lore, so I may be getting things wrong.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Difficulty won't affect trophies or endings in this game right?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Lord Justice posted:

So I've gotten Ending E, and I can't but feel like I came into the game with the wrong expectations. I really wanted it to answer certain questions, and it almost does, but doesn't go all the way. Spoilers for Automata and Drakengard 1 and 3:

So, from my understanding, I believe the implication is that, somehow, the ark manages to cross over into the Drakengard universe and becomes the Cathedral City. This isn't explicitly said, but I feel that's what's being implied there? The ark is said to be going to a "new world", and the Cathedral City is said to have come from the "Old World", where Accord, an android, is from (more on her in a bit).

Furthermore, that would make the Watchers not some otherworldly force, but the machine AI. The fact that the AI is represented by little girls who change into an older man's voice seems to hint strongly at this. As well, the logic virus of the AI creating the red eyes, which seems like a direct link to the Red Eye Disease. If so, then the implication must be that the machine AI somehow figures out how to hack biological "systems" in Drakengard. If this is the case, then it kind of completely re-contextualizes Drakengard as a series, as a lot of the conflict is created around a machine AI instead of some inexplicable otherworldly thing. In addition, is the "magic" of the Cathedral City in actuality advanced technology found and re-purposed by the Magic Academy? This seems plausible to me.

Of course the issue here is that I'm assuming this, instead of the game outright telling, which I wish it had. This leads into Accord.

Accord is an android from the Old World and seems to have an operator like the YoRHa androids (I'm making the assumption the phone call she makes in the final fight with One is to someone like YoRHa's operators), but also seems to be much more advanced in that she can apparently see, interact with, and manipulate various timelines in Drakengard. In addition, the weapon dealer in the Resistance Camp mentions getting weapons from her, which would suggest she's moving weapons back and forth between NieR and Drakengard. However, as far as I'm aware, she never actually shows up in Automata. Since she's an android, I was hoping Automata would explain what's going on with her, but it seems to be a mystery still. However, I haven't 100%ed the game yet - Is there any other mention of Accord to anyone's knowledge?

And that's basically my issue with the game and kind of distracted from me enjoying the endings as they were. I really wanted a solid and canon link back into Drakengard 3, and the game certainly is coy about it, almost like it knew what I wanted but decided to not actually go all the way.

Of course, this is me assuming things based on what Automata hinted at, and I'm not entirely 100% on the Drakengard/NieR lore, so I may be getting things wrong.

I think you're looking for more significant ties to the Drakengard side of the universe than there are and trying to make tenuous at best ones more significant, simply put. My takeaway is simply that the ark is the machines saying "gently caress this war, gently caress the aliens, we're going to live free of all of this bullshit somewhere else. Wanna come along, 9S?". Yoko Taro isn't really into the whole defined sequel thing. Drakengard 3 needed a novel to truly link to Drakengard 1.

Rather than the AI girls (The Terminals alpha and beta) being the Watchers, like all other androids and robots in the game, they're simply aping existing behaviour they've found from the days when Humans were alive. The Factory cult apes religion, the carnival are aping fun and leisure, the desert robots are trying to reproduce. I don't believe it's much of a stretch to see them as having found material, information and what not on Watcher stuff and be all, cool let's do this kind of thing.

A strike against "old world" magic being Machine or Android technology repurposed is that the second fight with Emil clearly states that Emil is a creature that uses old world magic and that it will completely slice through android defense like butter and this is the only time the game ever makes this distinction, meaning old world magic's nature is known to the YoRHa pods at least and is 100% not used by Machine Lifeforms offensively.

As for Accord, she's only ever mentioned as the weapon store provisioner and in a leaflet for her weapon store. The way I see her is that she and who or what she works for is beyond the scope of mortality and might as well be an avatar for "God" in this universe. She only really shows up in Drakengard 3 to ensure that things don't go 100% doomsday and to create a timeline where nothing goes entirely tits up (by, y'know, Drakengard standards) and there aren't really any threats on the level of the flower or even the black scrawl/white chlorination syndrome in Automata. The alien invaders are gone and everything is entirely earth/moon based in scale and either YoRHa or Machine Lifeforms definitively winning the war isn't going to stop future timelines from existing like the Flower in Drakengard 3 will.

So in summary, I don't think Automata's attempts to link into Drakengard are especially significant or even existent. It's a sequel to NieR first and foremost and most of the mentions of the "Giant" and "Dragon" Tokyo shootdown ending of Drakengard 1 are just fleshing out and contextualising Project Gestalt furter. I get why you're disappointed though, but I don't think NieR 2 was ever going to be a good source of information for a character in Drakengard 3. I'd be very disappointed if the theoretical Drakengard 4 doesn't have her though.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Mar 6, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ineffiable posted:

Difficulty won't affect trophies or endings in this game right?

Absolutely not, you're free to swap at any time without consequence.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I think you're looking for more significant ties to the Drakengard side of the universe than there are and trying to make tenuous at best ones more significant, simply put. My takeaway is simply that the ark is the machines saying "gently caress this war, gently caress the aliens, we're going to live free of all of this bullshit somewhere else. Wanna come along, 9S?". Yoko Taro isn't really into the whole defined sequel thing. Drakengard 3 needed a novel to truly link to Drakengard 1.

Rather than the AI girls (The Terminals alpha and beta) being the Watchers, like all other androids and robots in the game, they're simply aping existing behaviour they've found from the days when Humans were alive. The Factory cult apes religion, the carnival are aping fun and leisure, the desert robots are trying to reproduce. I don't believe it's much of a stretch to see them as having found material, information and what not on Watcher stuff and be all, cool let's do this kind of thing.

A strike against "old world" magic being Machine or Android technology repurposed is that the second fight with Emil clearly states that Emil is a creature that uses old world magic and that it will completely slice through android defense like butter and this is the only time the game ever makes this distinction, meaning old world magic's nature is known to the YoRHa pods at least and is 100% not used by Machine Lifeforms offensively.

As for Accord, she's only ever mentioned as the weapon store provisioner and in a leaflet for her weapon store. The way I see her is that she and who or what she works for is beyond the scope of mortality and might as well be an avatar for "God" in this universe. She only really shows up in Drakengard 3 to ensure that things don't go 100% doomsday and to create a timeline where nothing goes entirely tits up (by, y'know, Drakengard standards) and there aren't really any threats on the level of the flower or even the black scrawl/white chlorination syndrome in Automata. The alien invaders are gone and everything is entirely earth/moon based in scale and either YoRHa or Machine Lifeforms definitively winning the war isn't going to stop future timelines from existing like the Flower in Drakengard 3 will.

So in summary, I don't think Automata's attempts to link into Drakengard are especially significant or even existent. It's a sequel to NieR first and foremost and most of the mentions of the "Giant" and "Dragon" Tokyo shootdown ending of Drakengard 1 are just fleshing out and contextualising Project Gestalt furter. I get why you're disappointed though, but I don't think NieR 2 was ever going to be a good source of information for a character in Drakengard 3. I'd be very disappointed if the theoretical Drakengard 4 doesn't have her though.

I haven't fought Emil at all yet and haven't done his quest (don't worry, you didn't spoil me on anything, I knew about the fight before this point), but yeah, that would seem to throw a wrench in the idea. As well, there's no overt mechanism to describe how, exactly, the ark would end up in another world - Which means for my theory to work it relies on something which is never explained in the game or even really being hinted at as being possible.

Speaking on the machine AI, another idea. I've read through the Flame of Prometheus, and it feels like some of the things P-33 "Beepy" said were similar to what the machine AI was doing:

"Utilizing the time I’d saved, I analyze my opponents. Why were they attacking me? Could they not self-evolve in the same way I had? The answer to both queries was simple, of course. They were attacking because they had been ordered to; they did not evolve because they had not been ordered to. Well, then, why couldn’t they act outside their orders?"

As well as machines in general, with Beepy wanting to live. Something tells me the behaviour of the machines in Automata is a direct result of Beepy's actions, and that the machine AI is Beepy, albeit completely changed after thousands of years of evolution. It's kind of too bad the machine AI as the Watchers doesn't really work, because then it would effectively mean that the Watchers was the evolved form of a random robot in a junk heap.

As for my expectations of the game, while in retrospect it didn't help with my experience and I shouldn't expect the game to answer things it isn't really tied to, I can't help but feel like Taro was setting up Automata to answer things. Both the origin of the Cathedral City and Accord in general are still a mystery, and Automata both has a city-scape that looks very similar to the Cathedral City in Drakengard 3, plus Accord being an android and Automata is all about androids. I was honestly expecting the city to be warped to the Drakengard world at some point.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There's a live event going on right now. Yoko Taro said he wants DLC for this game to be like Witcher 3's (!) but there's no realistic expectation of that.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Absolutely not, you're free to swap at any time without consequence.

Thanks, I'll likely try for a platinum. Getting all endings is a must though if it's anything like previous games.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ineffiable posted:

Thanks, I'll likely try for a platinum. Getting all endings is a must though if it's anything like previous games.

It is.

You can just buy the annoying trophies for an nominal in-game fee you don't feel like getting them though.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Regarding some of the stuff in this CIA document, there are definitely still allusions to The Watchers that are worth thinking about. The machine core was stated to be like a plant cell, which was interesting, and the red eyes and Cult of the Watcher tattoo are still something to consider too. Remember that humanity had to erase all maso to kick WCD from the planet, but Emil still exists. He even cloned himself and fought the aliens before they sent out machines (and presumably manufactured them).

There's something there with the overarching Watchers thread but it's obviously not the meat of the game.

E: Actually. As an extra thing I realised, aren't the machines and YoRHa the only groups affected by the red eyes logic virus? There were no zombie androids or anything like that in the game, even when things got a bit mental. It could be that only those with a machine core get the red eyes.

CrashScreen fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Mar 6, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

CrashScreen posted:

E: Actually. As an extra thing I realised, aren't the machines and YoRHa the only groups affected by the red eyes logic virus? There were no zombie androids or anything like that in the game, even when things got a bit mental. It could be that only those with a machine core get the red eyes.

One of the Resistance members gets a/the Logic Virus in the YoRHa stage play (and Anemone retelling), so regular androids can definitely get them, but I would assume that non-YoRHa androids are better suited as a vector for spreading them rather than them primary worthwhile targets as Number 21 creates a vaccine to the one they used on Lilly. Some of the names may be off.

And yeah, I don't want to give the impression they're not worth talking about, rather that they're not especially important, relevant or explored within Automata. Seems to me like Taro would prefer to deal with Drakengard based things in Drakengard games more than not.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

There's a live event going on right now. Yoko Taro said he wants DLC for this game to be like Witcher 3's (!) but there's no realistic expectation of that.

It's pretty heartening that he wants to do something substantial at least. All comes down to how much money Square is willing to give him.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

lets hang out posted:

It's pretty heartening that he wants to do something substantial at least. All comes down to how much money Square is willing to give him.

Well, it seems like it's sold at least reasonably well.

Then again, Square Enix seems to expect everything to sell like their best selling game, so...

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

This review on metacritic lol

quote:

Put simply, NieR: Automata is the greatest game ever made. It’s not just that it is the deepest and most narratively potent game ever developed - and it is a truly deep narrative experience - but more than that, Yoko Taro has finally found perhaps the developer on the planet capable of doing his visionary work justice. This game is a true, genuine work of art, and anyone who wants to prove that gaming does possess an equivalent to the greatest novels, operas, theatre plays, or paintings, now has that very game to point to. Yoko Taro is gaming’s Shakespeare, Da Vinci, and Welles, all rolled into one.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

lets hang out posted:

please credit me when you quote me

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I can't wait to finally play this game tomorrow!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If you like that kind of thing, NieR's at 89 score after 36 reviews and I'd imagine that's a good chunk of the review counted for. That means it's the best rated PS4 game of 2017 so far, beating out Horizon which gets the good old 1st party flagship leeway.

lets hang out posted:

I cringed so hard when I read that.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Well, I preordered the game on steam. I'm ready for Yoko Taro's Crazy Ride yet again. I really need to stop looking at the CIA document that is this thread.

lets hang out posted:

Barkley 2 thread is over there.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008

Tatum Girlparts posted:

please credit me when you quote me

Are you seriously going to be openly admitting that you plagiarized me on a public forum? Can't wait to purchase the video game equivalent of the paintings atop the Sistine Chapel.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Lord Justice posted:

All the lore stuff in Yoko's works tends to be addressed/fleshed out more fully in the supplementary material (Grimoire NieR, DoD3 World Guide Book) than in the games themselves, where the characters and their personal stories take precedence. A guide book for Automata is coming out at the end of the month which is supposed to include detailed character/world analysis, as-of-yet unseen setting material and a few short stories penned by scriptwriter Emi Eishima and Yoko himself. That's probably where the info you want is all going to be.

Lord Justice posted:

As well as machines in general, with Beepy wanting to live. Something tells me the behaviour of the machines in Automata is a direct result of Beepy's actions, and that the machine AI is Beepy, albeit completely changed after thousands of years of evolution. It's kind of too bad the machine AI as the Watchers doesn't really work, because then it would effectively mean that the Watchers was the evolved form of a random robot in a junk heap.

I don't think the Machine AI itself is Beepy but, taking The Flame of Prometheus into account, I think the game is pretty clear that Beepy is the machine's God who first granted them consciousness:

The initial picture book you get during Route B directly references (word-for-word in the original Japanese) Beepy's words from The Flame of Prometheus: "Inorganic beings lack a consciousness. Let us grant it, then. Consciousness… pain, joy… sadness, anger… shame, loneliness. The future. Life."

Also, it describes the machine's God as exploding out of a volcano; this is how Beepy's entrance into the outside world is described in the short story: "Immediately after, the top half of the mountain blows off in a grand display. From the center of the opened hole, like the grotesque mouth of a volcano, rises a massive metal sphere 165 feet in diameter."

And finally during Ending D, the Terminals opt to do exactly what Beepy (their God) did, merging into a collective consciousness and taking off into space. Pretty huge influence for a character that never gets referenced directly!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

If I preordered this on PS4 shouldn't it be in my Library or downloading somewhere by now? I don't see anything anywhere except the 10+ hour timer on the store page.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Read reports of others not being able to preload it properly too so might be an issue on Sony's end?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Apparently Nier: Autobooty has some pretty amazing things-get-wet/things-get-dry effects.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Ciaphas posted:

If I preordered this on PS4 shouldn't it be in my Library or downloading somewhere by now? I don't see anything anywhere except the 10+ hour timer on the store page.

If you go to your library, look at the tabs on the left of the screen; you may have to select "purchased" games to see it, since it hasn't technically released yet. Then you should be able to select it and tell it to start pre-loading.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

Apparently Nier: Autobooty has some pretty amazing things-get-wet/things-get-dry effects.

Not really, it has nice wet textures that fade away slowly effects.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Yay!!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I personally think Metacritic is a blight on the industry at heart and holds too much sway over everything, especially considering the fact that the only thing that really really matters is that player response across the globe from the Asian market version release has been stellar and that there's the story of New Vegas devs being screwed on a bonus by one point meaning Metacritic needs de-emphasising in importance severely, but gently caress, it's good to see a Nier game get its due. :unsmith:

My favourite thing is that the negatives given in the GameInformer review are almost unanimously applicable to Zelda BOTW yet not an issue in that game

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 6, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It was 89 on opencritic, who bumped it up?

Edit i'm pretty sure joe juba didn't review zelda.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Why can't I just go home and stare at the countdown timer? Stupid job.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Tae posted:

It was 89 on opencritic, who bumped it up?

Edit i'm pretty sure joe juba didn't review zelda.

Twinfinite and Kotaku have both given it super glowing reviews recently, but that's a metacritic cap, not opencritic.

Kotaku don't score but sometimes I think they're asked to for the aggregators sake.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 6, 2017

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

PC preorder for $49: https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/nier-automata-day-one-edition/

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

How likely is it that if I buy the game from GMG that I will be able to play on release exactly?

I don't wanna wait longer than I have to. I have this bucket of coke ready and all.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

I personally think Metacritic is a blight on the industry at heart and holds too much sway over everything, especially considering the fact that the only thing that really really matters is that player response across the globe from the Asian market version release has been stellar and that there's the story of New Vegas devs being screwed on a bonus by one point meaning Metacritic needs de-emphasising in importance severely, but gently caress, it's good to see a Nier game get its due. :unsmith:

My favourite thing is that the negatives given in the GameInformer review are almost unanimously applicable to Zelda BOTW yet not an issue in that game

For some reason GI is... blocking my country or region or something. Can you mention those negatives?

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

How likely is it that if I buy the game from GMG that I will be able to play on release exactly?

I don't wanna wait longer than I have to. I have this bucket of coke ready and all.

I just pre-ordered the PC version off GMG, and it said it would send the game key closer to release, so I'm assuming it's at the same time and will allow for pre-loading.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Thanks for that GMG link, i'll keep an eye on that. I think i bought DOOM from them, and that was a decent experience.

For what it's worth that's a pretty common opinion and the site has falling in "influence" significance for publishers the last few years, so there's that. Granted, it got dethroned by obnoxious youtube channels that can easily be bought and PR-leashed, so maybe that's not exactly and improvement.

It's still a reasonable resource to quickly find a broad range of somewhat reasonable reviews on something as long as your ignore the Big Huge Dumb Number or that they sort by it.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

I've got what I think is a weird error, so I want to check with you guys to see if anyone who has played it already knows anything. After the first boss fight, 2B and 9S blow themselves up to take out a crowd of enemies. Then I end up on a screen with a weird series of questions about nothingness and god and no matter which answers I pick they all end up going in a circle. There's one other option, "I don't care" which the game warns will take you back to the menu because it's not finished installing yet, but since the game is fully installed I thought this was some kind of weird, meta moment. With no other option, I picked "I don't care" and it took me back to the main menu. It won't let me continue because it says it is "still installing" and my only other option is to pick new game.

Thoughts?

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

The game isn't fully downloaded yet. Check your downloads to see how much longer you get to wait!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

The day one patch basically fixed that.