Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

PT6A posted:

I've only seen that sort of thing on systems where the password occasionally has to be entered on a phone. The length limitation baffles me, though; I can't think of a reason for that at all.

There are some hella ancient things that cap at 8 characters and/or ignore everything past that, but not sure what. Way before my time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Biowarfare posted:

There are some hella ancient things that cap at 8 characters and/or ignore everything past that, but not sure what. Way before my time

AS/400 usually. 8 Char limit IIRC.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Biowarfare posted:

Traditional Unix passwords ignore anything past 8 characters, and Linux naturally copied it, although it's not been the default for a long time and idk if it's even still supported on modern distros (what does my heart tell me)

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Soricidus posted:

Traditional Unix passwords ignore anything past 8 characters, and Linux naturally copied it, although it's not been the default for a long time and idk if it's even still supported on modern distros (what does my heart tell me)

That's the bog standard original DES-based implementation of crypt(3), which has widespread cross-platform support everywhere because it's stupid and simple. The reason it has an eight character cap is because it manipulates the characters into 7 bits each in order to create the 56 bit key that DES requires.

Every shipping crypt(3) implementation contains support for alternate hashing schemes which aren't completely hosed.

In this case though we're probably just dealing with no hashing and storing the password in a CHAR(10) or equivalent because people are loving stupid.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

"I don't understand security, but I'm just going to roll my own. How hard can it be?"

I had a co-worker once that thought he was god's gift to everything. He managed our ERP that ran on an old-as-dirt multi-value database with a text-based front end about 10 years ago. He also had one small VB program he wrote and maintained for the company and that program kept its data encrypted by an encryption algorithm he wrote himself... in VB... When I found out about that I asked why he didn't just use one of the many encryption algorithms that were already available via .Net's standard libraries. Apparently it was an insult of the highest order to suggest he was not capable of writing a good encryption algorithm from scratch. I tried being as diplomatic as possible but I was in shock at the ignorance on display and had a hard time hiding my disbelief and keeping the WTF? look off my face.

Took a third person coming in to defuse the jackass before he exploded or before I started laughing my rear end off.

Yes, people can write good encryption algorithms, even individuals. But you're not gonna whip one out for a one-off project and even if it is AMAZING, it's not safely usable until it's been studied, reviewed and tested by a large number of people for quite a while. I wish I would've grabbed a copy of his code to see how close it was to a ROT13 variant.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

RandomBlue posted:

Yes, people can write good encryption algorithms, even individuals.

People can, I suppose, but people don't.

I wouldn't even trust myself or any other single person to write a properly secure implementation of a well-known and secure algorithm, frankly.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

They should make a language that throws a compile-time error if you implement broken crypto.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

PT6A posted:

People can, I suppose, but people don't.

I wouldn't even trust myself or any other single person to write a properly secure implementation of a well-known and secure algorithm, frankly.

It depends on whether you care about side channels. If not, it's easy to implement some algorithms. If they matter then agreed.

return0
Apr 11, 2007
The 8 to 10 char password was in the registration process for the Virgin Mobile UK site.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

I'm at my second client that thinks it can use TFS like Git w.r.t. branching. I'm going to refer to this as the Slam Your Dick In A Car Door Strategy from now on, but that's just the background for what I saw this morning.

I was updating the QA branch this morning because a dev branch had just been merged in, and of course some jackass had committed his development copy of the config of the main project, so I had to hold TFS's hand to merge the changes in. Mostly just a bunch of service URLs that you have to point to different environments based on where your poo poo is running. Not a huge deal - it's even all set up so you can do a quick, global search and replace!

The WTF was that, while the jackass' file was full of references to local environment 1 (http://L1.etc.blah.blah.whocares, basically) and my local copy to group environment 2 (E2), but TFS thought they should all be environment 5. So, it looked at L1 and E2 and decided that E5 was the way to merge those. It's worth noting that there is an E5, so it's in the file's history... somewhere, but trying to branch and merge in TFS like the cool git kids are doing clearly just breaks its fuckin brain.

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 6, 2017

return0
Apr 11, 2007
Is TFS super-crappy compared to git?

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

return0 posted:

Blog post

I've been using TFS at work for the past five or so years, and I've only used git for relatively smaller open source projects, but at least from my work experience, making branches and doing merges doesn't seem to be the strong point of TFS version control, and it seems like git is a lot less of a pain in the rear end if you need to branch and merge a lot.

Bruegels Fuckbooks fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Mar 6, 2017

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

return0 posted:

Centralized vs decentralized... mostly. I have a laundry list of things I loving hate about it, but many of them could be classified as UI problems, I guess. Problem is that the UI comes baked right into it, so it's hard to differentiate.

Oh and AFAIK Microsoft still doesn't dogfood it which is always a good sign.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Yeah the TFS underpinnings might be amazing but you'd never know from the UI.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Dylan16807 posted:

It depends on whether you care about side channels. If not, it's easy to implement some algorithms. If they matter then agreed.

No no you don't understand crypto is magic and will spontaneously fail to provide any security at all unless written by a wizard. Unlike e.g. input validation code, which you can safely leave to your intern and not bother fuzzing or anything because it's only crypto that is special and uniquely difficult.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Soricidus posted:

No no you don't understand crypto is magic and will spontaneously fail to provide any security at all unless written by a wizard. Unlike e.g. input validation code, which you can safely leave to your intern and not bother fuzzing or anything because it's only crypto that is special and uniquely difficult.

There's qualitatively different levels of hard at play here. Input validation doesn't require you to understand a lot of high-level mathematics to do properly. And to be clear, we're talking about why it's foolish to implement crypto algorithms yourself here, not making use of crypto libraries. I mean, it's still easy to use a crypto library in a way that doesn't provide any security, but at least there it's because you didn't follow the (reasonably straightforward) instructions, not because you didn't understand how information theory can be applied to your encrypted data to extract the unencrypted message.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

return0 posted:

Pretty much a moot question for new development, since git is now the default VCS for tfs. TFSVC is on life support.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

pokeyman posted:

Yeah the TFS underpinnings might be amazing but you'd never know from the UI.

It's almost certainly not!

quote:

TF401190: The local workspace temp_WS;User has 248536 items in it,
which exceeds the recommended limit of 100000 items. To improve
performance, either reduce the number of items in the workspace,
or convert the workspace to a server workspace.

Branching doesn't help, either, because a branch is just a special folder in the same workspace you can merge with neighboring folders. As a consequence, one commit can span branches and, for the icing on the cake, the UI makes it trivially easy to do that accidentally.

Also note the workspace name is the computer/user login. If the computer name changes, the local copy stops working.

That's not even getting into 'version' conflicts and what happens to shelvesets when you delete their backing branch. It's real bad.

boo_radley posted:

Pretty much a moot question for new development, since git is now the default VCS for tfs. TFSVC is on life support.

Which is cool until you get saddled with a dinosaur client that requires locking version control because that's what the 40 year old contract template says.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

return0 posted:

The 8 to 10 char password was in the registration process for the Virgin Mobile UK site.

I haven't logged into Barclaycard's website for a while but one of the two passwords had a restriction of being precisely 6 digits long. Not characters. Digits.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Munkeymon posted:

It's almost certainly not!

Branching doesn't help, either, because a branch is just a special folder in the same workspace you can merge with neighboring folders. As a consequence, one commit can span branches and, for the icing on the cake, the UI makes it trivially easy to do that accidentally.

Also note the workspace name is the computer/user login. If the computer name changes, the local copy stops working.

That's not even getting into 'version' conflicts and what happens to shelvesets when you delete their backing branch. It's real bad.

This is a real version control system?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Soricidus posted:

No no you don't understand crypto is magic and will spontaneously fail to provide any security at all unless written by a wizard.

Maybe I misunderstood, but I'm pretty sure this is a fairly accurate representation of how crypto works.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Maybe I misunderstood, but I'm pretty sure this is a fairly accurate representation of how crypto works.

It is, and anyone who spends 5 minutes reading cryptofails can confirm that there are tons of people out there who think they can do crypto but really can't

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 6, 2017

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Today I had the privilege of looking at some CSRF prevention code that actually generated a CSRF token for the attacker if they didn't provide one.

There were two servlet filters. The first filter on the chain would create the token and store it in a cache and also set it as parameter on the request, and the second filter would then validate that the token stored in the cache would match the one that was literally just set on the request.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Arachnamus posted:

I haven't logged into Barclaycard's website for a while but one of the two passwords had a restriction of being precisely 6 digits long. Not characters. Digits.

Same for BMO in Canada. Does it really matter, though, given that you get only 3 attempts before you're locked out? An attacker still has only a 3/1,000,000 chance of successfully getting in, and there's usually a secondary "security question" asked if the login occurs from an unknown IP address (or maybe it's cookie-based, I'm not sure). Arguably, it's more secure than requiring a long alphanumeric password with upper- and lower-case characters and special characters without a lockout (or even with a lockout, because those complex passwords are more likely to get written down and left somewhere unsafe).

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

PT6A posted:

Same for BMO in Canada. Does it really matter, though, given that you get only 3 attempts before you're locked out? An attacker still has only a 3/1,000,000 chance of successfully getting in, and there's usually a secondary "security question" asked if the login occurs from an unknown IP address (or maybe it's cookie-based, I'm not sure). Arguably, it's more secure than requiring a long alphanumeric password with upper- and lower-case characters and special characters without a lockout (or even with a lockout, because those complex passwords are more likely to get written down and left somewhere unsafe).

If you lock out after three attempts, an attacker can launch a denial of service attack by rapidly locking out every account.

Also, the passwords aren't going to be random, there's much larger than 1/1,000,000 chance of guessing what are likely MMDDYY passwords.

And if you get to the security question screen, you know you got the password right.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
In addition to the post above, your application-level rate limiting makes no difference if they have a copy of the database or just an alternative connection to it like an unprotected MongoDB.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Munkeymon posted:

In those ways, is it much like Subversion? Yes, I realize from the article that was linked that it's different from Subversion in other ways.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Munkeymon posted:

Branching doesn't help, either, because a branch is just a special folder in the same workspace you can merge with neighboring folders.

Workspaces and branches are loosely related. In most cases, you should have one branch per workspace. It's not technologically impossible to check out all server branches into a single local workspace, but it's weird and unusual.

The only time I've done that is to reconcile some deep hurting between server branches and something a junior dev did.

quote:

As a consequence, one commit can span branches and, for the icing on the cake, the UI makes it trivially easy to do that accidentally.

Again, this is technically by design. It's odd to do, and stumbling into a situation where it happens by default makes me wonder how you got there.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

boo_radley posted:

Workspaces and branches are loosely related. In most cases, you should have one branch per workspace. It's not technologically impossible to check out all server branches into a single local workspace, but it's weird and unusual.

The only time I've done that is to reconcile some deep hurting between server branches and something a junior dev did.

One workspace holding all code has been my normal experience for how TFS is set up so far. I guess this is why my TFS zealot colleague is so critical of all the TFS setups he sees?

quote:

Again, this is technically by design. It's odd to do, and stumbling into a situation where it happens by default makes me wonder how you got there.

Just the way the UI will slurp up every change in a workspace whether they're controlled by the active Solution or not into Included Changes when you go to check in is what's doing it. If you've got changes in two or more branches, you have to janitor that, which is a weird, unexpected default(?) behavior when I've got a solution open. Understandable if I don't, but I generally do.

I'm also having trouble thinking of a reason why I'd want to do such a thing.

Buttcoin purse posted:

In those ways, is it much like Subversion? Yes, I realize from the article that was linked that it's different from Subversion in other ways.

Now that you've got me thinking about it, I think so, but it's been a while. It might let you merge any two trees where TFS won't.

Mentioned it because habitual Git users might be used to thinking of a branch as lightweight pointers to a root object plus maybe some tiny modifications - a very thin copy, but TFS seems to make fat copies that count towards that 10k soft limit.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Munkeymon posted:

One workspace holding all code has been my normal experience for how TFS is set up so far. I guess this is why my TFS zealot colleague is so critical of all the TFS setups he sees?
Probably so, yeah. TFSVC was designed to support a lot of branching models, done of which look pretty archaic now. I think what your seeing falls into a " not every permutation of what you're permitted to do is a wider thing to do" territory.

quote:

Just the way the UI will slurp up every change in a workspace whether they're controlled by the active Solution or not into Included Changes when you go to check in is what's doing it. If you've got changes in two or more branches, you have to janitor that, which is a weird, unexpected default(?) behavior when I've got a solution open. Understandable if I don't, but I generally do.
You avoid this kind of janitor work with a workspace-per-branch scheme. We have 900+ projects with multiple branches per project, so we'd feel a lot more pain immediately if we tried to pull in an entire project's code across all branches at once.

quote:

Mentioned it because habitual Git users might be used to thinking of a branch as lightweight pointers to a root object plus maybe some tiny modifications - a very thin copy, but TFS seems to make fat copies that count towards that 10k soft limit.
Yeah, this is part of the underlying issue. TFS branches are fully fledged and formed, no diffs no deltas no loving around. Make 5 branches in your 100 MB repository and you'll get 500mb in the database. TFS branches are basically the Russian tank model of VCS theory.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

How about we move the derail to the right thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3113983&pagenumber=81#post470093367

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Munkeymon posted:

Oh and AFAIK Microsoft still doesn't dogfood it which is always a good sign.
This is wrong on both counts.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?

Gazpacho posted:

Azure is all Git, other orgs use TFS.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Gazpacho posted:

Good, but what the second count?

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Munkeymon posted:

That it is a good sign. Typo?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Captain Capacitor posted:

Azure is all Git, other orgs use TFS.

most if not all are migrating to git

FoiledAgain
May 6, 2007

Munkeymon posted:

I interpreted that to mean (1) it is incorrect that Microsoft still doesn't dogfood it, (2) it is not true that it is a good sign when Microsoft doesn't dogfood something.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Malcolm XML posted:

most if not all are migrating to git

Which explains why visual studio has tighter git integration with each version.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Demand that the word "password" is part of the password so our admins don't get confused.

I saw a website the other day that insisted on >8 characters must have Upper and Lower case + Numerals - Special Characters not allowed including space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Headhunter posted:

Knowledge of Git or other Sounds Control systems
Knowledge of a server side language

:allears: