Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Dwarves vs Sylvannia. Deployed 700, lost 130. They deployed 1550 or so, lost all but about 100, their commander wounded. Close victory. ??????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

One dwarf being worth over 10 undead sounds about right to me.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Justin Credible posted:

Dwarves vs Sylvannia. Deployed 700, lost 130. They deployed 1550 or so, lost all but about 100, their commander wounded. Close victory. ??????

You killed 130 Dawi while fighting automatons. Put your name in the book and axe yourself.

I had a situation where my supercharged ordinary Lord was moving to pick up an army (he was garrisoning a dwarf hold) and got attacked on the way by a 10 stack of black orcs, goblins archers and some trolls. He stood on top of a little hill and repelled them over and over again. He took out 160 orcs before they finally broke and ran. I renamed Karak Azgal in his honour.

JBP fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 6, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

Am I missing something or is Bretonnia impossible to play as? You're can't fight other Brets without incurring massive chivalry penalties, Marienburg can't be sieged without a backup army, and you can't actually make a backup army without first conquering some new territories.

Oh and none of the Bret factions will confederate with you even after getting the technology to do so without you having a massive army. Which it just so happens you can't build without first acquiring more cities.

In addition to what everyone says, consider disbanding most of your army, and sitting for a bit until you've built up a sufficiently large pile of money, and then going in with the two stacks. Don't sit there shaking your fist impotently eating the upkeep every turn....

Also consider saying gently caress it to chivalry and raiding the bastards.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
My strategy with Brets is to wait for the inevitable razing of a town by beastmen, then cruise over there pronto and set up shop.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Well to be fair like half the Sylv army was human soldiers, halberders, swordsmen and crossbows (Radious mod, not sure if it's just undead default) so I mean those guys are probably worth about five per dwarf so I still think I did pretty good.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
With trade, if a building increases the trade resource from (e.g.) 24 furs to 48 furs, how does this actually affect my income?

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Without a trade mod, probably not at all. Go to your diplomacy screen and see how much of your trade resources you're exporting already. If it's not at 100% then having more of them won't increase your income

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

If you are producing more trade goods that makes the AI more inclined to do trade deals with you.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
The Better Trade mod is really good.
You can actually build up some wineries or potteries instead of weaving houses/trinket makers as far the eye can see, if you play one of the friendly races.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
God drat Vampires look awesome as hell.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Now is not the time for dancing Mr Jackson!

Also I don't know what is going on lately, but I'm getting a lot more bad traits for bad reasons (slaughter dwarf garrison while personally leading the charge into their lines, receive Timid. Massacre nothing but dwarf armies and garrisons for 20 turns, receive Likes Dwarfs.) and my battles where I'll kill 95% of the enemy army while losing 10% or so are being reported as close or pyrrhic. What is happening CA?

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Kainser posted:

Yeah but I seriously doubt that would be modelled in the game if he is free DLC. He'd just be generic empire dude with a different red tree.

Boris wouldn't get "new" animations no.

But uuh.. i mean.. if you mean like.. one of those other potentional new empire lords just being "generic empire dude" solely because they are FLC?

Yeah because when it comes to FLC CA never does anything creative or cool lookin- oh wait:

I mean, are you serious??

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Korgan posted:

Now is not the time for dancing Mr Jackson!

Also I don't know what is going on lately, but I'm getting a lot more bad traits for bad reasons (slaughter dwarf garrison while personally leading the charge into their lines, receive Timid. Massacre nothing but dwarf armies and garrisons for 20 turns, receive Likes Dwarfs.) and my battles where I'll kill 95% of the enemy army while losing 10% or so are being reported as close or pyrrhic. What is happening CA?

Yeah I've had both of these as well. Maybe when they rejigged autoresolve they broke the 'how hard did you win' metre.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Not sure if this is a feature or a bug, but I finally managed to whup Mousillon as Big Bad Louie Catguts. Order was dropping at -10 or something due to corruption so I figured I'd raid my own province to piss 'em off and hopefully kick up a vampire rebellion to eat. I set the army to raid, and lo and behold the next turn Louie had stopped raiding. I'd taken no chivalry penalty and public order was exactly what it had been before.

Goddamn chivalrous jerk.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Is there any mod that makes it more likely for the AI to recolonise ruins?

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Ragingsheep posted:

Is there any mod that makes it more likely for the AI to recolonise ruins?

Yes there is!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=692360500

Also in other news, ive updated Green Iz Best!
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=819263595

With the help of Kaza ive managed to make the Techtree look much more pristine, include Savage Orcs into techs where they should be included (Better Arrer 'Eads , Boar Breedin' to name a few) and finally ive reduced the turn cost for all techs!

The basic techs that require only the goblin tinkerer bench are all now down to 6 turns each, down from 8.

Later techs, except for Chariot techs, have been reduced to 8 turns. Down from 12.

Chariot techs, to make them feel more enticing, have been brought down to 6 turns! Down from 12.

Gejnor fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Mar 6, 2017

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Here's an early-morning thought, it'd be cool to see Battle Standard Bearers implemented somehow, and it would make the lamer melee heroes like Captains more versatile on the battlefield. In the game every army could take exactly one hero carrying the army's standard. The banner had a leadership-buffing aura and each faction had a selection of magic banners, some of which had pretty beastly effects.

Other things that are unlikely but would be cool: black and savage orc variants of the orc characters for flavour, like on the tabletop, and a shout-out to Grimgor's 'ardboyz, like some unique skill that makes him unable to recruit non-siege-weapon goblin units but buffs his orcs. A viable all slayer army would be cool too for Ungrim, that list was actually beastly on the table.

vintagepurple fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Mar 6, 2017

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Perestroika posted:

Oh man, Bret archers with fire arrows are (somewhat unsurprisingly) absolutely amazing against wood elves. I just ended up in a pretty unfortunate fight with my one stack against two almost-full WE stacks, and still ended up winning mostly on the back of five fire archer units. The elves brought a whole bunch of Dryads, and they just utterly evaporated in a matter of like two volleys each. Even better was that one stack was lead by Durthu, who went down in similarly short order. And after all the wooden enemies were gone, they still did good very work against hawk riders and wardancers, thanks to the higher base damage.

Bretonnian shooting is surprisingly good! I tried to break a siege on Bordeleaux with a 4-archer, 4-maa, 4-knight, 2-siege army against two chaff stacks of undead; didn't go so well at first try since I didn't have the Blessing of the Lady. Since the city and all the recruitment buildings were locked out, I only had the ability to recruit archers and trebuchets, of which I got two each. They did amazing work, to my surprise, being able to melt skelly spearmen units with concentrated fire and doing a number on the reinforcing undead since they're too stupid to not approach in a column.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

vintagepurple posted:

Here's an early-morning thought, it'd be cool to see Battle Standard Bearers implemented somehow, and it would make the lamer melee heroes like Captains more versatile on the battlefield. In the game every army could take exactly one hero carrying the army's standard. The banner had a leadership-buffing aura and each faction had a selection of magic banners, some of which had pretty beastly effects.

Let them serve to spread out a banner's effect among multiple units, that might be awesome.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
Wow, looking over it again Belagor Iromhammer is one of the less amazing newer lords. His main good abilities are his self buff rage mode and the oathstone ability which lets you absorb charges pretty well. But several of his skills replaced existing good skills- the one to improve rangers isn't as useful as the original version on generic dwarf lords because the original one also boosted grudge throwers. It should've been rangers and bolt throwers but apparently it's not.

He gets a ranger upkeep reducing skill replacing thwoppa thwoppa which is OK I guess but grimnirs heirs is replaced by by an army wide charge bonus which didn't feel like a good trade in my opinion. Late game you'll often have a decent amount of high tier units so having them improved by another 12 percent.

They should've put the upkeep reduction stuff much earlier on so you're not as in a big rush to get Karak eight peaks back. It's neat that his whole army can get a bonus vs greenskins but my problem is the AI dwarves wipe them out so fast the bonus doesn't stay relevant for long.

Nice lord skills either buff one unit up by a larger amount, apply the bonus to more types of units (Honest Steel) or affect the entire army or faction.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The Belagor start is basically Dwarves:Hard mode.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Fangz posted:

The Belagor start is basically Dwarves:Hard mode.

Right I get that, but his counterpart Skarsnik just seems better in comparison in regards to Lord skills.

Skarsnik himself is a nasty little anklebiter that will put up a helluva fight on his own regardless of how well you decimate his goblins.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Yeah but you can still shorten sieges to 1-2 turns which is pretty loving good when the ai will never sally forth the garrison unless you're super weak.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Despite having less dwarfs per unit, Rangers usually manage to outperform Quarrelers by a surprisingly good kill count when I tried Belegar. They must have much better innate accuracy, which when coupled with Belegar's/Runelord's red tree buffs, turns them into serious killers that can both shoot, charge well, and chase poo poo down on foot.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I mean, Belegar is one of the tankiest Legendary Lords and his siege bonuses are definitely a thing. His redline is arguably not quite as good as Ungrim or Thorgrim but he's still a way better LL than either of those dudes.

That said, I always just embrace the Ranger spam with him and his ghost crew and it never lets me down. +25% missile damage on Rangers is a lot of damage, and with the new Ranger techs and Belegars skills you can turn Bugmans Rangers into a pretty ridiculous force of self-healing all arounders.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Corrode posted:

Yeah I've had both of these as well. Maybe when they rejigged autoresolve they broke the 'how hard did you win' metre.

There's been something wrong with it for a while. This is from a few patches ago:

"You took no casualties and barely any damage but I guess you had your feelings hurt or something, pyrrhic victory"

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Belegar isn't really that much of a hard mode imo. Sure his red is worst but gw rangers are really good because unlike gw quarrelers the armor pen actually applies to their ranged attack too so you get a slightly weaker fully teched thunderers that shoot alot faster and can safely fire over your lines. Not having the second set of red melee skills hurts but you got the ghost pal squad to help you. Above all belegar makes all your underground battles into vanguard deployment which really helps his lack of red artillery skills

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Turn 77 and I've already triggered the Errantry War. Either farming rebel/Mousillon stacks is kinda lame or the chivalry thresholds should be much higher...

EDIT: I also only have Bordeleaux and Carcassonne, and only two full armies that aren't even rocking Grail-level knights. I think the limit should definitely be higher, or at least chivalry point should be harder to get.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 6, 2017

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
If I have the same follower on two different heroes in an army, do their bonuses stack? What about hero skills?

Erika
Feb 6, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Gamerofthegame posted:

Confederation follows the same rules as always; they gotta be in a bad way or when it's Chaos time.

There's no cooldown/diplomatic hit for confederating as Bretonnia, so it's not all the same. I just went and took Marienburg and Mousillon, then confederate the rest and it becomes cake.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Ristolaz posted:

If I have the same follower on two different heroes in an army, do their bonuses stack? What about hero skills?

I think so.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Belegar isn't really that much of a hard mode imo. Sure his red is worst but gw rangers are really good because unlike gw quarrelers the armor pen actually applies to their ranged attack too so you get a slightly weaker fully teched thunderers that shoot alot faster and can safely fire over your lines. Not having the second set of red melee skills hurts but you got the ghost pal squad to help you. Above all belegar makes all your underground battles into vanguard deployment which really helps his lack of red artillery skills

This I did not know. That's wild.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

toasterwarrior posted:

Turn 77 and I've already triggered the Errantry War. Either farming rebel/Mousillon stacks is kinda lame or the chivalry thresholds should be much higher...

EDIT: I also only have Bordeleaux and Carcassonne, and only two full armies that aren't even rocking Grail-level knights. I think the limit should definitely be higher, or at least chivalry point should be harder to get.

I think part of it is that you are intended to also do actions that reduce chivalry like raiding and sacking. You can unlock the Errantry war pretty quick but if you don't do anything unchivalrous you'll have a hard time actually completing it.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

albany academy posted:

Yeah they use throwing axes so while their range is pretty short they pack a solid punch.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

toasterwarrior posted:

Guys I gamed the system to power maximum chivalry in minimum time. Hit the chivalry cap real early. How happen???

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

albany academy posted:

Martout posted:

Yeah they use throwing axes so while their range is pretty short they pack a solid punch.

Yeah, Rangers are anti-monster ranged infantry, like ranged Slayers. They can kill Lords in like 4 volleys.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Chomp8645 posted:

Guys I gamed the system to power maximum chivalry in minimum time. Hit the chivalry cap real early. How happen???

who could have foreseen that people playing The Chivalrous Knights Of Chivalry would keep on choosing +chivalry actions, this must be the players' fault somehow

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Just started a co-op campaign yesterday with a buddy. It provided a great comparison for how much the Empire gets shafted compared to other starts. He played Bretonnia, and started with a full province, 14 units and an agent. Whereas I, as Gelt(still garbo btw), got one region and seven units. All of the seven aside from the three lord starting units were bottom tier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

who could have foreseen that people playing The Chivalrous Knights Of Chivalry would keep on choosing +chivalry actions, this must be the players' fault somehow

I mean I think there is a difference between just choosing +chiv as they come and intentionally farming stacks.

• Locked thread