Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

What's the best way to get ascension coins? some people talk about getting several ribbons, but they cost 40 loving coins and I've so far only found 34 (haven't done the timed quest yet)

Did anyone ever find if there was a Justice Monsters Five car skin?

edit: Holding back the dark quest, I want to punch whoever designed this in the face.

*ten feet away from visible, obvious quest marker*

*camera takes control away from player to show them what to interact with*

"isn't that thing? lets go!"

it's loving ten feet away from me and has an obvious quest marker on it, how could I miss this??

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What's the best way to get ascension coins? some people talk about getting several ribbons, but they cost 40 loving coins and I've so far only found 34 (haven't done the timed quest yet)

edit: Holding back the dark quest, I want to punch whoever designed this in the face.

it's loving ten feet away from me and has an obvious quest marker on it, how could I miss this??

Pitioss (hidden dungeon)

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Had my first crash today. Music kept playing but the gfx was all locked up when leaving the diner. Thankfully, it just autosaved but UGH.

SalTheBard posted:

Pitioss (hidden dungeon)

Isn't that the one where you have to do random weird jumping and poo poo? I am saving that for last.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It is the platforming dungeon. You dont need multiple ribbons though since few things can inflict multiple status effects.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Did you do the frog chain from the biologist (Sania?)? The reward for the final quest is a ribbon (also use a guide for the final quest).

Also if you do a bunch of sidequests you get I think 14 coins from the people in the diner after doing the Adamantoise Hunt (you have to talk to Dave outside the diner again in the pit stop to trigger the scene where you can talk to everyone again).

I haven't done pitioss but between those two things I managed to end up with two Ribbons.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Sakurazuka posted:

No there's only hunts

I thought you were joking then I looked it up and you weren't :smith:

Why...why did they construct an elaborate city map and do nothing with it? What? Like why not just cut it entirely?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I can't get the cactuar effigy to spawn :(

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Wolfsheim posted:

I thought you were joking then I looked it up and you weren't :smith:

Why...why did they construct an elaborate city map and do nothing with it? What? Like why not just cut it entirely?

Time

I think that's why the first event they did was a chocobo festival in the city

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Everything that isn't on the first continent (apart from chapter 13) is hilariously unfinished. The map in Altissia clearly shows that the area you get to explore is only about 1/3rd of the city, and as has been pointed out, there's really nothing to do there except hunts. Someone found an out-of-bounds skip that let them get onto the third continent and run around, and the whole landmass is there, several towns are placed there with buildings and signs and roads and all, but they didn't manage to actually get any content done, so in the end you spend the entire time you're there being literally railroaded from place to place.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

So... it looks like the S-E team never figured out how to make it so the Regalia didn't hover above its axles when they off road it.

So they're making the off-road Regalia a monster truck :black101:

(From a PC tech test at GDC)

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I just got an email from Square Enid saying A King's Tale (the game with Regis, Weskham, Cid and Clarus) is a free download now.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Baron Corbyn posted:

I just got an email from Square Enid saying A King's Tale (the game with Regis, Weskham, Cid and Clarus) is a free download now.

Is that the one that was originally only available to people who pre-ordered XV at GameStop? (fuckin lol)

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Josuke Higashikata posted:

So... it looks like the S-E team never figured out how to make it so the Regalia didn't hover above its axles when they off road it.

So they're making the off-road Regalia a monster truck :black101:

(From a PC tech test at GDC)

Neat. Now release the game for PC so it can stop murdering my eyeballs on Xbox one.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Norns posted:

Neat. Now release the game for PC so it can stop murdering my eyeballs on Xbox one.

Your problem is you bought a lovely console.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
EDIT: Sorry, I had this confused for another final fantasy thread.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Farming Zu beaks is boring as heck, guys. How many do I need for sweet spells?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

GreenBuckanneer posted:

The PC isn't lovely, you take that back!

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Let's not pretend the frame-rate isn't garbage on ps4.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

actually all consoles are lovely, and PCs are lovely too

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Farming Zu beaks is boring as heck, guys. How many do I need for sweet spells?

You don't really need any for any boss. I think it's 10 for 15 spells. I would rather pull my toenails out.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Renoistic posted:

You don't really need any for any boss. I think it's 10 for 15 spells. I would rather pull my toenails out.

You get 3 beaks at a time. You usually use them for endgame dungeon stuff

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

You get 3 beaks at a time. You usually use them for endgame dungeon stuff

I've done all the menace dungeons and only used three beaks. They're good if you don't actually want to fight anything but not really needed otherwise. So if you don't want to grind there's no reason to force yourself.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Okay, so I finally beat the game, and yeah, Chapter 13, yikes. I knew from this thread that it would be rough going in, but I expected it to be more 'extended stealth sections that are basically glorified cutscenes' a la the first behemoth hunt and less 'a series of bland identical hallways with lots of combat but also taking away anything that makes combat fun.' I know SE said they're gonna fix it later but I honestly don't see how unless they outright cut out like six of the eight floors you have to deal with.

Having said that, everything after that isn't that bad, even if it is brief. Reuniting with the bros in the World of Ruin worked, precisely because I spent like thirty hours with them cruising around doing monster hunts and such before I ever even got to Altissia. I could see how someone who beelined the plot would be a little less...forgiving of how completely disjointed that poo poo was, but I thought it at least wrapped up nicely.

I was hoping the run-up to the final boss would be a little more sprawling Kefka's Tower-style monster den too, but I guess that's what all the post-game mega-dungeons are for :shrug:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

What was the world of ruin?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

GreenBuckanneer posted:

a mistake

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Chapter 15 got that name because it's the quest you first see when you enter the chapter, and it was the name of the second half of FF6 which it seems to be a pretty big reference to

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Chapter 15 got that name because it's the quest you first see when you enter the chapter, and it was the name of the second half of FF6 which it seems to be a pretty big reference to

Ah, never played FF6. Thanks.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Ah, never played FF6. Thanks.

You should probably fix that.
Just not with the iOS or Steam versions that look utter garbage.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Is new game+ a better way to grind up those AP's? I'm getting pretty bored of shield bashing dogs in a canyon.

Also, they had all those years to finish Tenebrae / Niflheim and instead we get the platforming hell dungeon.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

kecske posted:

Also, they had all those years

This game was pulled together in about three years. They could learn how to better manage their time when you compare it to Zelda, but also Zelda took four years.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Didn't it have a decade of development time as Versus XIII before it was abandoned/rebranded? Assembly of the game into its presented finished format may have taken 3 years but I'm sure the vast majority of its assets must have been completed prior to that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

kecske posted:

Didn't it have a decade of development time as Versus XIII before it was abandoned/rebranded? Assembly of the game into its presented finished format may have taken 3 years but I'm sure the vast majority of its assets must have been completed prior to that.

They were not. From all information we have the game was basically not meaningfully in production. The new staff had discussions about asset creation. They weren't just stapling the game together they created a game from scratch for everything but character designs and even those got adjusted. (Stella to Lunafreya for example.)

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Craptacular! posted:

This game was pulled together in about three years. They could learn how to better manage their time when you compare it to Zelda, but also Zelda took four years.

Yeah, in its current form, but he's talking about when this game was called Versus XIII in like 2005.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

http://www.novacrystallis.com/2015/08/final-fantasy-versus-xiii-was-around-25-complete-when-it-became-final-fantasy-xv/

Well there you go, seems as though a lot of redesign work had to be done when they shifted onto the new game engine for next-gen consoles.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

The White Dragon posted:

Yeah, in its current form, but he's talking about when this game was called Versus XIII in like 2005.

Yeah but stuff like "they had all that time to work on the western landmass" doesn't add up in reality. Here's how things were coming along each year. They were working on things like engine collision in early 2014. Versus was never much more than some trailers and clothing models, and the guys from the earlier trailers were kind of stapled into another game entirely.

Even the goddamn logo was repurposed from being an image of Etro as part of the XIII lineage, into oh it's Luna in the very last cinematic. The only other remaining holdover is that XV is still largely about the end of days for a world/civilization, whereas XIII was about the creation of a new one.

It could have been worse. We could have had "Safy Roth" before he was written out and swapped with Ardyn. I can't imagine FF plot development hitting rock bottom with a harder thud than a villain whose name is pronounced identically to an earlier one in an unconnected game, so I'm never sure if they were just trolling about that.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 5, 2017

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

You should probably fix that.
Just not with the iOS or Steam versions that look utter garbage.

They look fine. They have more pixels than the SNES/GBA versions so it doesn't look exactly the same, and some people can't deal with that I guess.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

They look fine. They have more pixels than the SNES/GBA versions so it doesn't look exactly the same, and some people can't deal with that I guess.

It doesn't look exactly the same because they've redrawn stuff in bright rear end ugly neon colours. It's not using the same assets for the stuff you see most of the time, at all, and the new assets are an eyesore.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

No they look like poo poo

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

It doesn't look exactly the same because they've redrawn stuff in bright rear end ugly neon colours. It's not using the same assets for the stuff you see most of the time, at all, and the new assets are an eyesore.

I guess Amano's palate for the original art is a bit muted. Still, it's not really a big deal unless you make it one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Not 100% of the assets look worse, I'd even say some look better in the interest of fairness.

And then you get this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZevK81DgOWc
2:00 minutes in.

As strange as it may sound, on the iOS ports, everything looks overlaid where originally, it's all fitting and looks like it's embedded because it looks like it's the same palate.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Mar 6, 2017

• Locked thread