Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Just bought a Viper on my friend's reccomendation after flying an Adder as my main ship for a while and man is it weird to go from the nice smooth spacebus interior to what looks like the inside of a 90's videogame warehouse. Love the wookie noises and the cool-rear end windows you get up on the roof either side of you though, it's definitely a fun flyer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Surprise Giraffe posted:

How distributor limited is it? Looks like a blast

All beams are Efficient Grade 5 and my PD is Charge Enhanced 5, and with 4 pips to weapons, with all but the huge firing, I can fire for a while. For a nice damage boost I slam them with the huge fixed laser but it'll drain in under 2 seconds. By that point, the target will be outturning me and my PD will get a break. Having 360 turret coverage (albeit with them slow to turn) along with a fighter ensures constant pressure in any chump who stays near me. And then if they just try to face tank me, I boost into them. Ramming SPEEEEED :fuckoff:

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I'd just like to say that Forums Man was amazing. Also happy to see a fellow purplaser user

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Vorlonesque posted:

Yeah, that was one of my first big goals beyond getting my free Eagle (and enough cash for a lot of reviews) and getting it upgraded. The DBS was loving great...I loaded it with two small laser beams and two medium cannons and took on all kinds of poo poo. I ended up going back to my Eagle with Enhanced Thrusters and eventually ended up in my decently engineered I.Courier but I still look fondly on the DBS.

It's my favorite ship overall. After engineering it I ended up with 2 small efficient burst lasers with no special modifiers and 2 medium lightweight railguns with hyper penetration.

Once the shields are down power plants have no chance against it. Oh and it never needs more than 2 pips in weapons to work so... yeah, it's nuts.
(reduced draw weapons + grade 5 charge enhanced capacitor)

Also the rebuy cost is so low it's a joke. You just don't care about taking risks which adds to the fun.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Mar 6, 2017

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Songbearer posted:

Just bought a Viper on my friend's reccomendation after flying an Adder as my main ship for a while and man is it weird to go from the nice smooth spacebus interior to what looks like the inside of a 90's videogame warehouse. Love the wookie noises and the cool-rear end windows you get up on the roof either side of you though, it's definitely a fun flyer.

I like the looks of viper cockpit. Its a no nonsense bare bones space motorcycle for real men

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

I did some grinding over the weekend to try out some fixed high yield cannons. I was not convinced. I like the little explosios when you hit, but I don't see much damage being inflicted. Neither to modules, nor to the hull. I am not the best shot, but even when I hit a PP with my cannon there's no damage being inflicted. And with high yield I guessed a near hit would still do some DMG.

So, are cannons and high yield crap?
Edit: I tested this with huge cannon with long range mod and high yield

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Einbauschrank posted:

I did some grinding over the weekend to try out some fixed high yield cannons. I was not convinced. I like the little explosios when you hit, but I don't see much damage being inflicted. Neither to modules, nor to the hull. I am not the best shot, but even when I hit a PP with my cannon there's no damage being inflicted. And with high yield I guessed a near hit would still do some DMG.

So, are cannons and high yield crap?
Edit: I tested this with huge cannon with long range mod and high yield

I did this to three medium cannons that I use on a Courier. It seems like something is goofy about them, but I'm not sure what. They're doing damage, certainly; I scared off a player in an Anaconda a couple days ago in a CZ. But not nearly what I expected them to do, with inconsistent hull damage and not a whole lot to talk about for internals either. Given how badly bugged the penetrator dumbfire missiles were (:frontear: set them to 0.75m splash instead of 75% vanilla splash) I'm sure there's a similar problem here, but I can't be bothered to investigate it enough for a report. I'll probably just switch to autoloader later.

Sard fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Mar 6, 2017

Harbinger73
Apr 22, 2016

mrmcd posted:

I have Elite Dangerous 32 and 64 bit, plus Commanders Beta 32 + 64.

No Horizons though.

You also need the Horizons expansion otherwise you're playing the 1.8 version of the Beta which doesn't include any of the expansion locked features such as planetary landing/SRVs, engineers, ship launched fighters, character creator etc.

mrmcd posted:

I have a planetary landing suite on my ship, so everything online says that means I should be enabled for the expansion, probably from my beta purchase. Yet I can't seem to get closer than 160km to any planet? :confused:

All ships come with that fitted as standard regardless of Horizons status. It stops you at the exclusion zone if you don't have Horizons though.

Harbinger73 fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Mar 6, 2017

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer

3 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GKGn6Z3RfE

An ode to everyone's favorite official forums.

This is loving grand. The world needs a Dark Side of Elite companion to CMDR Hugh Mann's This Is Elite.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!

Blind Rasputin posted:

Stacking those missions in Quince is working really well and you guys are awesome for that suggestion. However, the only imperial rank-up mission I get now is a 420ly covert delivery of illegal goods mission. These are a huge pain. Is there a different type of mission out there, or specific system where the rank-up missions are trivially easy? I don't think I can stomach transiting that delivery mission back and forth for 8 ranks.

I'm also grinding Quince and would like to thank the thread.

Currently up to Viscount rank on my way to a Cutter but the percentage rank reward is getting less the higher I climb, turning this into a megagrind. Would it be faster if I go to a different Imperial grind spot (like Fehu) and carry on from there or should I just keep going until my eyes bleed?

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Sard posted:

I did this to three medium cannons that I use on a Courier. It seems like something is goofy about them, but I'm not sure what. They're doing damage, certainly; I scared off a player in an Anaconda a couple days ago in a CZ. But not nearly what I expected them to do, with inconsistent hull damage and not a whole lot to talk about for internals either. Given how badly bugged the penetrator dumbfire missiles were (:frontear: set them to 0.75m splash instead of 75% vanilla splash) I'm sure there's a similar problem here, but I can't be bothered to investigate it enough for a report. I'll probably just switch to autoloader later.

So it's not my suckery at aiming but :frontear: Good to know, thx!

Does anybode know a fun, non self-crippling alternative to Lasers/MCs?
I found efficient Plasma not to be my cup of tea and was disappointed with the LW rail guns on my FdL or on my Iggle. Were "sturdy" blueprints pimped enough to become an alternative?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

apropos man posted:

Currently up to Viscount rank on my way to a Cutter but the percentage rank reward is getting less the higher I climb, turning this into a megagrind. Would it be faster if I go to a different Imperial grind spot (like Fehu) and carry on from there or should I just keep going until my eyes bleed?

Yes, it rocks. I have more money than I ever thought I would in this game now. It only seems to take one boardflip to fill up on missions now since this system is in Boom. What type of rank-up missions are you getting? Or what system do you go to get them? I've been really struggling with this part.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Breetai posted:

It looks really impressive, but do high-level beams really do enough damage to hull that throwing in a burst or two wouldn't be better?

FWIW I just managed to take on an elite anaconda 1v1 (it interdicted me) and I killed it without losing shields or even using an SCB, so that might be an indicator that it's not bad.

Morter fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 6, 2017

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Blind Rasputin posted:

Yes, it rocks. I have more money than I ever thought I would in this game now. It only seems to take one boardflip to fill up on missions now since this system is in Boom. What type of rank-up missions are you getting? Or what system do you go to get them? I've been really struggling with this part.

My balance is the biggest it's ever been. Currently at 250M, so enough to buy a Cutter. I predict I'll be nearer 400M by the time I rank to Duke, which may be a couple of days time.

The rank-up missions I've been getting are smuggling missions about 400ly away, back into the bubble. Luckily I brought my trusty Asp Explorer which is kitted out with 5A FSD (engineered Grade5), 5D Thrusters (D class are low weight for longer jumps) engineered with Clean Drives G3 and Power Plant engineered Low Emissions G1. This makes it go a long way (42ly unladen) and nice and cool for scooping with the clean drive tuning and low emissions reactor.

I've been doing the scans in a Sidewinder until I reach 100%, then collect the Naval rank-up mission and carry on doing scans until I'm bored and fancy a trip to the bubble to rank up. I switch to the AspX, then go and rank up and return on about 40% of next rank.

Yesterday I was lucky enough to collect two naval rank-up smuggling missions at once. I think I picked one up, went to do a round of scans and the board offered me another one. Off I went into the bubble thinking I might jump two ranks at once but it turned out the second one didn't count (no pun intended!) and I only went up one rank.

Gotta go to the gym now, then I'll be back for more grind. This Cutter better be worth it.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Ugh. Yeah I was doing those. I caved and made my way to cubeo to rank that system up a bit as I hear it shits out easy rankup missions. Hopefully it bears fruit today.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

What are you guys doing to these poor Asps that makes them need help with cooling? I've been out of the bubble since pre-engineers so mine's completely stock, and I can fly her right into the Yellow Circle of Death without ever going above 60/65%

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Blind Rasputin posted:

Ugh. Yeah I was doing those. I caved and made my way to cubeo to rank that system up a bit as I hear it shits out easy rankup missions. Hopefully it bears fruit today.

I'll bear that one in mind. I'm only three ranks short now, so moving seems a distraction at the moment. I noticed when I first started tonight that I only got about 6% rank-rep increase for the first batch of 20 missions, but then I got about 10% on the second run so maybe there's a bit of RNG at play.

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

What are you guys doing to these poor Asps that makes them need help with cooling? I've been out of the bubble since pre-engineers so mine's completely stock, and I can fly her right into the Yellow Circle of Death without ever going above 60/65%

Oh, my Asp was OK stock but it's even better now :) I've always found the AspX to be a little sensitive to heat, though. Compared to my Python I had to exercise a little bit of caution before I went ahead and engineered it. It's brilliant for Silent Running mode now as well. You should try clean drive tuning, It really allows you to toss it round in wonderfully, even on D-rated thrusters.

Vorlonesque
Sep 18, 2005

Killing planets since 1876

DancingShade posted:

It's my favorite ship overall. After engineering it I ended up with 2 small efficient burst lasers with no special modifiers and 2 medium lightweight railguns with hyper penetration.

Once the shields are down power plants have no chance against it. Oh and it never needs more than 2 pips in weapons to work so... yeah, it's nuts.
(reduced draw weapons + grade 5 charge enhanced capacitor)

Also the rebuy cost is so low it's a joke. You just don't care about taking risks which adds to the fun.

Lately with my I.Courier I've been using two Lightweight Medium Dumbfire Missile Racks (one grade 4 one grade 5...I got a really lovely grade 5 roll on one of them so I rerolled a grade 4 and it was better on all levels thanks to RNGeesus) and a Lightweight Medium Beam (grade 3... haven't unlocked Broo yet).

With my grade 3 DD Enhanced Thrusters I get around 751 boost speed with my loadout...though I currently have to swap in a smaller FSD temporarily when I want to use a KWS scanner as I haven't made my chaff launchers lightweight yet.

I'll probably try to eventually get some lightweight cannons or plasma accelerators (though the heat on those makes them tricky as gently caress)...I love rails but they tend to be hard on a heat sensitive ship like the courier even with my high speed low shield setup.

This is what I use right now when I don't need a KWS (usually in Conflict Zones):

http://www.edshipyard.com/#/L=A074,...p4kAe8pEe8pIe8p

And this is my bounty hunting build (when there's a station in system to store my engineered 3D FSD at...if not I just take the speed hit for now):

http://www.edshipyard.com/#/L=A074,...p4kAe8pEe8pIe8p

chappey
Jan 21, 2001

apropos man posted:

A refresher on the Quince thing? I want to print some money before the patch hits.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

chappey posted:

A refresher on the Quince thing? I want to print some money before the patch hits.

Go to quince. Land at millerport. Bring a small ship that can do basic system scan, detailed surface scan, land, and deploy srv. Board scum up as many planetary scan/civil war scan missions as you can (20 is the cap). After you warm up the system for a few rounds (the first rounds can be tedious to make everyone cordial) it will take you probably only one or two board swaps to fill up with 500k-1.1mil missions.

Once ready you undock, do a system scan immediately. All missions will proc for the planet right in front of you that millerport orbits, go fly towards the "structure scan thing" on the planet and basically keep flying towards it until it resolves into an outpost. All missions proc to the same drat outpost. Land, srv over to the outpost and scan the data link in turret mode. All the missions will complete at once. Then go dock at millerport to turn them all in.

It takes so little time to make 10 mil or more and level up it's just stupid. You can rinse repeat so fast too. The only problem is catching a 500credit bounty sometimes for trespassing at the outpost but it doesn't matter since the planet and station are so close there's really no time to get caught.

If anyone has a way of avoiding that bounty that would be cool to know.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Songbearer posted:

It also looks pretty sweet in Canadian flag colours.

jnnnnn
May 31, 2013

MEL

Blind Rasputin posted:

If anyone has a way of avoiding that bounty that would be cool to know.

Smash your ship straight into the ground as soon as you take off (after scanning the base). The rebuy on a sidewinder is basically free, and you don't have to slowly and laboriously climb out of the planet's gravity well and dock with the station. Conveniently, this also clears your bounty.

If you do this, sometimes you have to wait a minute or two before you can hand in the missions (it's that fast).

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

jnnnnn posted:

Smash your ship straight into the ground as soon as you take off (after scanning the base). The rebuy on a sidewinder is basically free, and you don't have to slowly and laboriously climb out of the planet's gravity well and dock with the station. Conveniently, this also clears your bounty.

If you do this, sometimes you have to wait a minute or two before you can hand in the missions (it's that fast).

I thought you lost the data you were supposed to bring back to the station if you did this?

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Blind Rasputin posted:

I thought you lost the data you were supposed to bring back to the station if you did this?

Nope. Another tip, always do your approach to the outpost in open mode. Sometimes you'll luck out and someone in the same instance will scan the datapoint while you're flying in; this will give you credit and save even more time, as you can just boost right into the planet surface instead of landing and scanning. I started out with a Sidewinder, then switched to a Hauler, but really you should just have an Imperial Eagle prepped somewhere in the bubble and then have that delivered to Millerport. It's still super cheap to replace and you can do the sweep and land faster with it.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I played for a few weeks at launch, game was an ocean an inch deep at that point, and I got bored moving rares around a big circle. What should I do coming back in? Priority wise, I mean?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Has anyone ever bought fighter paintjobs? Was it worth it?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I think I figured it out. There are both private and public data points at the settlements. Even if you are trespassing, if you choose to scan the public datapoint and ignore the private one, it will not incur a fine. Has worked so far.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Morter posted:

I like to think it was worth it for my Viper but I seem to have ruined that ship with incompetent engineering

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Morter posted:

Yes and that is a subjective question.

chappey
Jan 21, 2001

Blind Rasputin posted:

Go to quince. Land at millerport. Bring a small ship that can do basic system scan, detailed surface scan, land, and deploy srv. Board scum up as many planetary scan/civil war scan missions as you can (20 is the cap). After you warm up the system for a few rounds (the first rounds can be tedious to make everyone cordial) it will take you probably only one or two board swaps to fill up with 500k-1.1mil missions.

Hooooly poo poo, thanks! Took me a bit to get up to Cordial status with some factions but it's starting to roll at Friendly now.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Morter posted:

No. Yes.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Is there a faster way to grind rep than Quince if you don't care about credits, or is it the fastest as well as the most lucrative?

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Blind Rasputin posted:

I think I figured it out. There are both private and public data points at the settlements. Even if you are trespassing, if you choose to scan the public datapoint and ignore the private one, it will not incur a fine. Has worked so far.

I find that there's a certain side of the base which has its trespass border closer than the other sides. Once you've been down there a few times you get used to which side to land on for easier access. I then just drive the SRV in straight, scan, and reverse straight back without looking.

Sard posted:

Nope. Another tip, always do your approach to the outpost in open mode. Sometimes you'll luck out and someone in the same instance will scan the datapoint while you're flying in; this will give you credit and save even more time, as you can just boost right into the planet surface instead of landing and scanning. I started out with a Sidewinder, then switched to a Hauler, but really you should just have an Imperial Eagle prepped somewhere in the bubble and then have that delivered to Millerport. It's still super cheap to replace and you can do the sweep and land faster with it.

Gonna try this tonight when I'm back from work and ready for the daily grind. I'm halfway through "Count" rank now. Two and a half ranks to go.

Probably fly into some goons on the way out of the station. I'm CMDR neawanna, just in case you get a face full of boosting Sidewinder.

apropos man fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Mar 7, 2017

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

apropos man posted:

Gonna try this tonight when I'm back from work and ready for the daily grind. I'm halfway through "Count" rank now. Two and a half ranks to go.

Probably fly into some goons on the way out of the station. I'm CMDR neawanna, just in case you get a face full of boosting Sidewinder.
I can't tell what rank I am now, but I've been 100% Baron for many hours. I have gotten three naval rankup missions, but on one I got the mission and the game immediately crashed (although I got the cargo in my inventory, no mission in log). The other two the mission immediately failed as soon as I accepted it. I had to stop playing last night because 9 out of 10 missions would immediately fail as I accepted them. Where are people going to get more regular rank up missions? I probably have two pending now and I like to see the little bar move rather than sit at 100% all the time.

Good tip about the open mode, I had been doing solo mode because once I came out of Millerport in open mode and was mass locked by some idiot doing missions in a large ship and it wasted 30 seconds of my time boosting away from him. I wondered why sometimes I'd come close to landing on the planet and suddenly all my missions would flip to complete. I figured that sometimes the mission was to just get close!

I am CMDR CapnBry if you see me out there honk your highbeams at me.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Thank you very much, I just returned to Elite and this helps me a lot :kiddo:

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Geez man, you can just crash your ship into the surface and complete all the missions. Wtf this is the most hilarious drat money printing ever.

I hate asking this because it probably took me a month and two CGs to grind up the money for my python, but if I have enough money should I replace my python with an Anaconda? The anaconda would be the first large ship I've flown. I understand it makes a pretty capable exploration rig.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Silver Alicorn posted:

I like to think it was worth it for my Viper but I seem to have ruined that ship with incompetent engineering

Well by fighters I specifically mean ship-launched fighters (Ifighter, Condor, Taipan)

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

I tell you what, these character models look absolutely fantastic in VR. So detailed.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

gently caress, I just logged back in after a few month hiatus to play RimWorld and realize I'm 80 jumps away from Sothis. Is there any fast way there besides 80 jumps and a six pack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

CapnBry posted:

I can't tell what rank I am now, but I've been 100% Baron for many hours. I have gotten three naval rankup missions, but on one I got the mission and the game immediately crashed (although I got the cargo in my inventory, no mission in log). The other two the mission immediately failed as soon as I accepted it. I had to stop playing last night because 9 out of 10 missions would immediately fail as I accepted them. Where are people going to get more regular rank up missions? I probably have two pending now and I like to see the little bar move rather than sit at 100% all the time.

I am CMDR CapnBry if you see me out there honk your highbeams at me.

There's a well known bug in the game that gives you "mission failed" when you pick up a mission. You just have to go to your missions list, abandon the mission highlighted red and relog. It's a bit of a pain but only seems to happen per login, so when you log in it will fail on the first mission and you know it's gonna fail every subsequent mission you pick up until you relog.

I must have been lucky with the naval rank up missions. I almost always get one when I hit 100%. If I don't then I just do another scan mission and when I return there's generally a naval rank mission there waiting. It helps that I have an AspX with loads of cargo space docked at Millerport, so when I see a smuggling naval mission I just switch to the Asp and take it.

Blind Rasputin posted:

I hate asking this because it probably took me a month and two CGs to grind up the money for my python, but if I have enough money should I replace my python with an Anaconda? The anaconda would be the first large ship I've flown. I understand it makes a pretty capable exploration rig.

Having gone the AspX, then Python route, I bought an Anaconda just over a week ago and it feels EPIC when you first fly it. I remember thinking "this thing needs quite a bit of module tweaking, but it's gonna be awesome!" as I scraped through the mailbox on my first trip out in it.

I flew it for about a week (until starting this rank grind) and it is really, really, really good. I've upgraded quite a few things although it still probably needs at least 100M more spent on it. I'm also a bit frustrated with having a load of turrets on it due to the slower turning: soon as I start hitting a target my turrets continually fire until my (A class) distributor is drained. It's now sitting in storage because my AspX is more convenient for this grind and the subsequent smuggling naval missions.

So I would recommend the Anaconda, even though I haven't got the best out of it yet.

My only worry is that once I grind up to this Cutter I will stop needing to use the Conda 'cos it's a fricking awesome ship. I'm hoping the Conda will be more my day-to-day mutipurpose ship because of it's excellent jump range, but I don't know because I haven't experienced the Cutter. Yet.

apropos man fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Mar 7, 2017

• Locked thread