Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Discendo Vox posted:

Because the research on added sugars, and on sugary sodas, was generally very poorly conducted. Because it's not sugars, it's calories- sugar is at most an indirect factor where caloric intake is a direct factor- and it's not a particularly strong factor, at that. Because asserting that the soda, or the sugar, is the causal factor neglects substitution in diet, which both of us were talking about, because it captures the spurious causation problem.

We don't eat in a vaccum though. Calorie rich beverages aren't going to fill you up like food does so you're going to want to eat more. Added sugars are going to tickle your pleasure centers and make you crave more. There are more health benefits than just avoiding obesity as well. Google one of the many articles on 1k calories of broccoli vs soda.

I might need the full text, but just going from the abstract you linked doesn't help me. I see it state 13% of the population consumes more than 25% of their calories from added sugars. But now I'm left wondering what the rest of that is. Could be 50% gets 20% from added sugars which would mean it's still pretty significant.

Edit: bah I'm too slow to phone post. I don't care if we move to the other thread or what, but I'm not convinced. As others have said it's still added calories and calories make you gain weight.

itskage fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Mar 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

itskage posted:

Edit: bah I'm too slow to phone post. I don't care if we move to the other thread or what, but I'm not convinced. As others have said it's still added calories and calories make you gain weight.

The other thread is the pseudoscience thread. Discendo, seeing people say "well the very smallest can of coca cola you can buy in the united states has 90 calories and most of 'em are from sugar," went for the weakest, shittiest burn as a parting shot.

E: Or possibly a desperate cry for help. Who knows?

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

Political Cartoons 2017: There is always more of it, but it's not from sugar

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Discendo Vox posted:

Because the research on added sugars, and on sugary sodas, was generally very poorly conducted. Because it's not sugars, it's calories- sugar is at most an indirect factor where caloric intake is a direct factor- and it's not a particularly strong factor, at that. Because asserting that the soda, or the sugar, is the causal factor neglects substitution in diet, which both of us were talking about, because it captures the spurious causation problem.

Soda isn't addictive. Sugar isn't addictive (unless you're listening to frauds like Lustig). Hell, experts in the field don't even agree that caffeine is addictive. "Industrial food" isn't going to be a central problem or a central solution in dealing with obesity as a public health problem, however appealing a villain Coca Cola et al may make.

fuckin lmao

this better be satire of a sugar industry fellating hack or else you're real dumb

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Jonas Albrecht posted:

What, no asterisk to a dead link for this one?

quote:

The campaign says that a limited number of seats forced it to make the tough decision of which journalists would be permitted to follow the Democratic presidential candidate in the last four days of the campaign, but the papers are calling foul, claiming they were targeted for their editorial-page positions and kicked off while nonpolitical publications like Glamour and Jet magazines remained on board.

Eliminated from the plane's traveling press were the Washington Times, the New York Post and the Dallas Morning News.

"It feels like the journalistic equivalent of redistributing the wealth," said John Solomon, executive editor of the Washington Times.
[...]
The Obama campaign said the decision was not based on the way Obama had been covered and pointed out that both the Wall Street Journal and Fox News, which have been critical of Obama, had retained their seats.
[...]
In 2004, The New York Times said it was not given a seat on Air Force 2 when Vice President Dick Cheney was stumping with President Bush, because the vice president was displeased with the paper's coverage of him.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

endlessmonotony posted:

You say soda is a major contribution to diabetes and obesity, which is... not even a little bit proven. There's a correlation for sure, but there's also a very strong correlation between fatigue and obesity.

Jesus H trampolining Christ. Leave aside the soda thing for a second: you are literally arguing that the correlation between carrying more weight and getting more tired is not causation. This is not an argument that can be made by anyone who has ever walked 100 yards (or climbed a flight of stairs) carrying a couple of heavy shopping bags.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Jedit posted:

Jesus H trampolining Christ. Leave aside the soda thing for a second: you are literally arguing that the correlation between carrying more weight and getting more tired is not causation. This is not an argument that can be made by anyone who has ever walked 100 yards (or climbed a flight of stairs) carrying a couple of heavy shopping bags.

It's not like sugar in soda just automatically turns into fat and doesn't do anything else. I could literally drink a half gallon of soda every day and probably not gain any weight since I've got a rather active lifestyle. And it's not like a person who IS obese can't just stop drinking soda and make up for it by eating more sweets in another form

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

SHUT
UP

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
You know who else loved sugar in sodas!?

thanks right... . . .

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Hah, shows what I know. I thought it was going to be bullshit. I mean, it's bullshit, but not bullshit bullshit.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
You really shouldn't get between a goon and his Mountain Dew.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Fulchrum posted:

Then explain why so many poo poo posters are fat?

Bad Internet Humor is stored in fat cells. Shitposting is a workout.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I merely photosynthesise by the glow of my monitor instead, allowing me to avoid this whole debate :smug:

Reaganomicon
Jan 31, 2004

Flush please

Discendo Vox posted:

Their role in weight gain, and, more centrally, whether a tax on them would reduce weight gain, has not been well-established.

anecdotal evidence: I stopped drinking soda and literally lost like 20-30 lbs; it melted off

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

You know who else loved sugar in sodas!?

thanks right... . . .
Fun fact: The Nazis invented Fanta.

But enough about lovely soda.

Lodin fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Mar 6, 2017

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Even the alt-right is embracing whaddaboutism. An incredibly good cartoon.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Telnaes is seriously losing her edge. The last few comics she's drawn miss great rhetorical opportunities or just don't....make any sense.

Like, Trump consumes daytime Fox News reporting on the job. Guy drinks up Breitbart articles and has accepted them as truth since before he even ran for prez. Drinking from a bottle is a bad metaphor for twitter overuse, and if it's a "drinking the koolaid" line Ann wants to push here, why not label those bottles "FOX," "ETF," and Bretibart?

Ann Telnaes posted:

President Trump tweets without providing evidence that President Barack Obama wiretapped his Trump Tower office and calls the former president a “bad (or sick) guy.” Someone is unhinged and needing of help, but it’s not the former president

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Mar 6, 2017

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Potato Salad posted:

Telnaes is seriously losing her edge. The last few comics she's drawn miss great rhetorical opportunities or just don't....make any sense.

Like, Trump consumes daytime Fox News reporting on the job. Guy drinks up Breitbart articles and has accepted them as truth since before he even ran for prez. Drinking from a bottle is a bad metaphor for twitter overuse, and if it's a "drinking the koolaid" line Ann wants to push here, why not label those bottles "FOX," "ETF," and Bretibart?

Ann Telnaes posted:

Trump needs an intervention
I'm pretty sure its about his twitter posting habits and the bottles are supposed to be like alcohol to an alcoholic. Thus the intervention comment. But what the hell do I know. I feel more and more dazed and confused each passing day.

Still not a great toon and I do agree she hasn't really put out anything to overly impressive in a while. Still one of the best caricaturist around these days though.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
give me soda or give me death

Reaganomicon
Jan 31, 2004

Flush please

Potato Salad posted:

and if it's a "drinking the koolaid" line Ann wants to push here, why not label those bottles "FOX," "ETF," and Bretibart?

people in this thread would complain about all the labels

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Young Orc

Cat Mattress posted:

Incisive commentary!

omfg

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Young Orc

pretty sure Obama wasn't president in 2008...

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet
Wow you guys must really miss Barry with all this soda talk going around!

Let's play a game! See how long it takes you to comprehend this image. It took me like a minute.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

JaggerMcDagger posted:

Let's play a game! See how long it takes you to comprehend this image. It took me like a minute.

Is this one of those Magic Eye things? I can never do those

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

JaggerMcDagger posted:

This only makes sense if the poodle is wearing a cape for some reason.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Somfin posted:

The other thread is the pseudoscience thread. Discendo, seeing people say "well the very smallest can of coca cola you can buy in the united states has 90 calories and most of 'em are from sugar," went for the weakest, shittiest burn as a parting shot.

I linked that thread because it's where we've spent pages upon pages discussing current defects in nutrition research, several of which came to a head in the incorrect consensus around added sugar as the cause for US obesity, which is grounded in a bunch of pseudoscientific research. It's a better site for the sugar discussion. That's all.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

That's a weird way to draw Pence.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

JaggerMcDagger posted:

Ok so...

You've got a Dracula dog of some sort. It's doing the Dracula-cape-over-face thing, but not using either of its arms to hold the cape? It has multiple tongues coming out over the cape, one of which is like a mutant tongue that has a separate body with another tongue coming out of it? The tongues also have legs coming out of them, with hairballs attacked at the ends? Wait no there's another dog I think. And the Dracula dog is holding the other dog in it's mouth upside down? Yeah that's it, there are vampire bite marks on the other dogs neck, and actually only one tongue. Still not sure what's going on with the cape.

Perfectly intelligible.

Anyway here's a Fish.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Ted posted:

I love lovely think-pieces like that. Ones like Reefer Madness take a hypothetical situation and extrapolate them to an absurd and melodramatic end. Reminds me of Wild In the Streets, a movie/short novel that was made in response to the proposal to reduce US voting age limits from 21 to 18. In it, a single 25 year old senator (who is a hippie) somehow passes a bunch of laws to reduce the age limits for voting AND holding office to 15, and suddenly washington is filled with a buncha no-good hippie teenagers ruining the country under the sinister rule of President Frost. It's a fun watch, but I don't think any elected official ever compared an actual current event to it like Bannon did that other novel.

Can anyone else recommend terrible reactionary pieces like Camp of the Saints or Wild in the Streets? Satires don't count, I want totally earnest dumb stuff.

Chapo has a recurring segment where they read from Ben Shapiro's True Allegiance. It's the good poo poo.

Flip Yr Wig fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 6, 2017

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Wild in the Streets is so much more crazy than that guy made it seem to be. In it everyone over 30 gets put into reeducation camps where they are forcibly dosed with acid all the time. It's one of my favorite movies.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I also like Maryjane, a 1968 movie about how weed kills that is totally in earnest and insane.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe
Political Cartoons 2017: Goons be dangerous afteir their goon work be done.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-southkorea-china-lotte-idUSKBN16D03U

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Philip Hammond's Brexit budget plan – Chancellor Philip Hammond has announced a new £500m-a-year plan to reshape the British workforce for life after Brexit by offering technical students loans to help counter the fall in EU workers"

Independent:

Times:

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Discendo Vox posted:

I linked that thread because it's where we've spent pages upon pages discussing current defects in nutrition research, several of which came to a head in the incorrect consensus around added sugar as the cause for US obesity, which is grounded in a bunch of pseudoscientific research. It's a better site for the sugar discussion. That's all.

There's little to no sense keeping talking about this here; the in-depth research will keep publishing results as they come in, and in time "sugar causes obesity" will be just another page in the book "eggs cause heart disease" went in.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

:wow: this cartoon

I mean, first of all, it appears to be operating under the assumption that Joe McCarthy was 100% correct rather than talking out of his rear end to profit off an environment of fear

and if you take that as a given, its main premise appears to be "so what, this current Russian scandal is just like the time the Democratic Party conspired with the USSR to undermine capitalism, what's the problem there :confused:"

Like, he is linking the Trump administration's ties to Russia to the Red Scare, and implying that this is a good thing somehow which Democrats are dumb for objecting to.

I don't know how Branco is still managing to impress me with his stupidity but it keeps happening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cock Soup
Oct 15, 2006

loquacius posted:

:wow: this cartoon

I mean, first of all, it appears to be operating under the assumption that Joe McCarthy was 100% correct rather than talking out of his rear end to profit off an environment of fear

and if you take that as a given, its main premise appears to be "so what, this current Russian scandal is just like the time the Democratic Party conspired with the USSR to undermine capitalism, what's the problem there :confused:"

Like, he is linking the Trump administration's ties to Russia to the Red Scare, and implying that this is a good thing somehow which Democrats are dumb for objecting to.

I don't know how Branco is still managing to impress me with his stupidity but it keeps happening

Thanks for the explanation, I was completely lost as to what the hell he was referring to there. Branco really is the dumbest of them all.

• Locked thread