Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Here's another good video of an F1 team which will never recover, and also the greatest driver from the greatest country

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYahKdG7ItY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Here's another good video of an F1 team which will never recover, and also the greatest driver from the greatest country

I like that you can tell he's on the loving limit almost every single corner

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Jesus gently caress these cars.
As well as head gaskets that blew in a handful of months (because there wasn't room to mount the 4-stroke sideways properly and ergo the cylinders were too close together), they had a control-computer issue where they'd default to "blue cloud of smoke mode" if the battery was disconnected for even 1 second.

I guess Honda have never got oil right.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Iirc Rover didn't know how to fix the Honda engines, so if anything went wrong they would simply swap them out for a new one. [insert your own punchline]

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Who or what is an Ammermuller

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I spent quite some time trying to phonetically translate that and got "at the miller" which makes no sense, google on the other hand says it's the name of a German racing drivers which does.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Norns posted:

The tiny little wiggling you can see the wheels doing in most of the high speed corners is what blows my mind. It reminds me of a thing I read in this book http://a.co/fdex60I where you get the most possible traction when your tires are slipping at about 9 degrees of steering angle off. Meaning, your front wheels are pointed at 30 degrees to the right and the car is only turning at 21 degrees because the tires are sliding just slightly, that's actually the best way to drive.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Khablam posted:

Jesus gently caress these cars.
As well as head gaskets that blew in a handful of months (because there wasn't room to mount the 4-stroke sideways properly and ergo the cylinders were too close together), they had a control-computer issue where they'd default to "blue cloud of smoke mode" if the battery was disconnected for even 1 second.

I guess Honda have never got oil right.

I think only the V6 was a Honda, the 4 cylinder was some redeveloped version of some engine Austin introduced in the 50s iirc. I do remember that they had issues since Honda engines run CCW so they had to take the Honda gearbox as well with the engine.

Having said that, I think Honda engines are overly complicated with gimmicks used to solve problems that have never existed and their team setup means the core engine design theory often gets overlooked. They do occasionally hit on really good ideas like variable valve timing way before it becomes common place. The tradeoff being they also end up wasting tons of time making dead end concepts work. Lest we forget they thought this monstrocity was not only a good idea but could also compete with two stroke engines:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

The tiny little wiggling you can see the wheels doing in most of the high speed corners is what blows my mind. It reminds me of a thing I read in this book http://a.co/fdex60I where you get the most possible traction when your tires are slipping at about 9 degrees of steering angle off. Meaning, your front wheels are pointed at 30 degrees to the right and the car is only turning at 21 degrees because the tires are sliding just slightly, that's actually the best way to drive.

Buying this book to add to
https://www.amazon.com/Going-Faster-Mastering-Race-Driving/dp/0837602262

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

gently caress

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
You guys are ridiculous

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Powershift posted:

I'm not gonna call out the poster in the thread showing off their new tattoo, but i think we all know who it is, right 1500quidporsche?

Niiiiiiico Rooooooooosberg.

Edit: just saw the way my own avatar is staring in disbelief at this "artistic" "masterpiece".

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
My Kevin Cameron Race Engine Book has a chapter on this thing entitled "But we learned so much!"

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

They're breaking him

:stare:

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
So why the gently caress are we still doing these shark fin things, they look stupid and..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUyc98MvPug

Oh. It's like a loving sail sorta, giving you way more lateral pull.

That's.. significant.

Carry on.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Norns posted:

gently caress

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Why the gently caress would anyone miss Bernie?

Liberty hasn't even done anything to Americanize the sport yet so there's literally no reason to lose your shits over it. I mean, personally speaking, I'm full on expecting horrible Americanization of F1 to resemble NASCAR or some garbage and we have to deal with all the retarded NASCAR posters leaking into this poo poo thread which somehow still manages to simmer above the NASCAR thread (just) but gently caress there's literally no reason to miss Bernie at all.

Brawn being in the position he is in is quite nice.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Are Ross got Are Jense a WDC. If that's not a reason to love him, I don't know what is.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

My Kevin Cameron Race Engine Book has a chapter on this thing entitled "But we learned so much!"

I mean, they did learn a lot building that thing. But its 4 years they could've spent building and learning about two strokes.

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

I miss Bernie not because he was good for the sport, because he isnt and hasnt been for years. I miss Bernie because hes a little poo poo bag troll, and that was entertaining. Liberty media is not entertaining. There is nothing funny about Ross Brawn.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Tony Montana posted:

Oh. It's like a loving sail sorta, giving you way more lateral pull.

I wish a certain someone would give me a lateral pull, ifyouknowwhatimeanfellas

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

BubbaGrace posted:

I miss Bernie not because he was good for the sport, because he isnt and hasnt been for years. I miss Bernie because hes a little poo poo bag troll, and that was entertaining. Liberty media is not entertaining. There is nothing funny about Ross Brawn.

The sport is in good hands now, but Bernie was entertaining as hell.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Minto Took posted:

Are Ross got Are Jense a WDC. If that's not a reason to love him, I don't know what is.

Are Ross reminds me of daddy pig, that's reason enough to love him.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Merc claiming to bring a shitload of development to the second test:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/128377/mercedes-planning-big-update-push-in-test-two

:suicide:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Do not forget to place your bacon briefcase in the overhead bag storage areas.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Pirelli is saying what was already guessed - these are the fastest F1 cars ever, and by some margin. Every lap record is going to be smashed this year.

http://racing.pirelli.com/global/en-ww/the-fastest-ever-formula-1-cars

quote:

So we’re heading towards a 2017 that will truly take place at full speed. The drivers have said so themselves: everyone from Hamilton to Vettel to Ricciardo to Alonso has pointed out that 2017 aerodynamics and Pirelli tyres that are 25% wider than a year ago have led to truly monstrous loadings through the corners. And with that extra downforce and speed, lateral loads – measured by g forces – are on average two higher than previous seasons. This year, the leap in performance comes through the corners. At the end of the famous Turn 3 in Barcelona, the climbing right-hander that follows the chicane after the pit straight, the cars were registering 30kph more than they were in the same place just a year ago. Thirty kilometres per hour: an enormous figure in Formula 1®. And we’re only just beginning: faced with such a significant rule change, we can expect the cars to improve by another second and a half per lap during the course of the season…

ukle fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Mar 6, 2017

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
One for the whinging old 'used to sound better' bastards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLOWSLd53U4

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Lot of #unblessed non-brits in the thread right now. :sad:

Also someone please set a timer until the first person complains that the cars are too fast now and Real F1 Fans™ who go to circuits don't get to see them for long enough so we should go back to grooved tyres and v12s because it's what the people want.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

ukle posted:

Pirelli is saying what was already guessed - these are the fastest F1 cars ever, and by some margin. Every lap record is going to be smashed this year.

http://racing.pirelli.com/global/en-ww/the-fastest-ever-formula-1-cars
I was under the impression that they were already operating near the limit of safe track speeds. Is this really a good idea? Are we gonna have another Imola 94 weekend this year

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'm looking forward to Bernie getting in front of a camera somehow and saying incredibly dumb poo poo to get some attention. I wager he will be recorded at some race track saying the holocaust was actually good or something like that.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

They should just make the Honda F1 engine a separate brand called Honnyet.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I was under the impression that they were already operating near the limit of safe track speeds. Is this really a good idea? Are we gonna have another Imola 94 weekend this year

I think the FIA is actually mandating changes at a lot of the tracks. I don't think the changes are necessarily bad but I really didn't see the point of needing to go faster purely to see lower numbers on the timing screens. If that was exciting I'd play with a calculator.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I'm looking forward to Bernie getting in front of a camera somehow and saying incredibly dumb poo poo to get some attention. I wager he will be recorded at some race track saying the holocaust was actually good or something like that.

"Liberty are doing a good job"

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Theophany posted:

One for the whinging old 'used to sound better' bastards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLOWSLd53U4

This is Cool And Good.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

djssniper posted:

I had to make do with a lovely old B&W TV to watch F1, it had a dial and a coat hanger aerial, all my grandparents were dead, lucky you

I had to sleep on a couch once.

gret posted:

I miss Bernie if only because he was a master literal troll.

Norns posted:

Flat-through-Eau-Rouge-Michael was the best Michael.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

NtotheTC posted:

Lot of #unblessed non-brits in the thread right now. :sad:

Also someone please set a timer until the first person complains that the cars are too fast now and Real F1 Fans™ who go to circuits don't get to see them for long enough so we should go back to grooved tyres and v12s because it's what the people want.

Anybody suggesting a return to grooved tires should be stabbed in the head. In addition, the only good V12s ever were Ferrari's and Honda's (remember when they made good engines?).

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Mar 6, 2017

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

HJB posted:

"Liberty are doing a good job"
"Liberty did nothing wrong"

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

"Liberty did nothing wrong"

"Well done Liberty"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Just announced that Honda terminated it's contract with their engine consultant Gilles Simon.

gently caress.

• Locked thread