Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Harrow posted:

So I enjoy this game a whole lot and I think it's extremely impressive, but there are two things I really don't like:

2. Weapon durability.

Yeah I wish I had at least a basic sword I could upgrade that didn't break, too many enemies break my poo poo. But given that fighting isn't as common as I thought it would be, I'm half and half about it. Still wish you could fortify or even repair poo poo. Arrows running out when I need them most almost gets me, as I was just fighting some big floating dragon thing and shooting targets on him, had one left, and then ran out of arrows. Bombs weren't doing anything to him so I had to leave and now must trek all the way back to Snow Land.

These memory things, how the gently caress do they work? I'm bad at recognizing areas but I don't know if I have to activate something when I get to an area? Is there anything else that visually tells me if I'm close?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Zore posted:

They have variants with 3k and 4k as well :shepicide:.

aaaaaaahhhhhhh

I met my first one in the tropical region and decided to run after it started shooting lightning at me because that poo poo is way above my pay grade. After paragliding down the mountain I figured I could catch a breather. That was when the Lynel loving teleported down, less than six feet away from me.

Me: :stare:
Lynel: :getin:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

MinibarMatchman posted:

Yeah I wish I had at least a basic sword I could upgrade that didn't break, too many enemies break my poo poo. But given that fighting isn't as common as I thought it would be, I'm half and half about it. Still wish you could fortify or even repair poo poo. Arrows running out when I need them most almost gets me, as I was just fighting some big floating dragon thing and shooting targets on him, had one left, and then ran out of arrows. Bombs weren't doing anything to him so I had to leave and now must trek all the way back to Snow Land.

These memory things, how the gently caress do they work? I'm bad at recognizing areas but I don't know if I have to activate something when I get to an area? Is there anything else that visually tells me if I'm close?

There's a yellow glow on the ground you activate with 'A'. The painter dude from Kakariko is at all the stables and will tell you exactly where the memory in the area is. There's roughly one per tower of map.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Crazy attention to detail: during rain you can safely climb the root of a large toadstool because it's sheltered by the top, but the edge of the top is still slippery.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

MinibarMatchman posted:

There's a glowing column of light to step in to start the cutscene, but it only appears when you're pretty close

Can you hurt said dragon with just arrows? The wind was making it very difficult to tell once I ran out of fire arrows.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

MinibarMatchman posted:

There's a glowey thing with a button prompt but you need to be super close to the area for it to show up. Can't scope it out from far away

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

snoremac posted:

Crazy attention to detail: during rain you can safely climb the root of a large toadstool because it's sheltered by the top, but the edge of the top is still slippery.

During the jungle area's fifth thunderstorm of the day I huddled under one of those shabby lean-to's to get dry enough to start a fire and thought, "oh, so that's what these things are for."

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

is it actually *worth* fighting Lynels in advance? what do you get

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Don't they have bows that fire three arrows at a time? I could be mistaken.

MinibarMatchman posted:

Yeah I wish I had at least a basic sword I could upgrade that didn't break, too many enemies break my poo poo.

There are some. The Zora trident you get as a reward can be fixed.

EDIT: I just noticed you said upgrade. Nevermind.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Their bows are really good (their melee weapons are decent but kinda 'eh' by the time you can beat them). Also their drops are used to upgrade the coolest armor set in the game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

Sell ore (except Diamonds, they're too rare to part with). Save everything else.

Even rubies or sapphires? I thought those were necessary for weapons or armor crafting or something. (If I can sell rubies, I'll be pretty happy, though.)

Zore posted:

Their bows are really good (their melee weapons are decent but kinda 'eh' by the time you can beat them). Also their drops are used to upgrade the coolest armor set in the game.

Which set is that, so I can keep an eye out for it?

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Amber is ok to sell right? It seems pretty easy to get. Im gonna guess there is crafting with these ores at some point but where I dont know.

You get so much Amber you will eventually buckle down and sell it all for half the down payment on your house.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

Even rubies or sapphires? I thought those were necessary for weapons or armor crafting or something. (If I can sell rubies, I'll be pretty happy, though.)

You can farm rubies on death mountain pretty easily. Even the little rock bros will occasionally drop them.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
I saw someone posted this earlier, but a lucrative money maker early on is a potion made with
1 firefly + 4 bokoblin fangs.

Sells for 100 rupees.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Oxxidation posted:

During the jungle area's fifth thunderstorm of the day I huddled under one of those shabby lean-to's to get dry enough to start a fire and thought, "oh, so that's what these things are for."

There's a JUNGLE?

What. Wow.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Is there some way to filter the map by icon

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

Rubies, Sapphires, Topaz and Opals are used to craft some accessories in Gerudo town and upgrade them. These are hats with Heat/Cold/Electric protection and Swim Speed up. Theres a bunch of other ways to get those effects (though it is the only way to get swin speed and heat protection in that slot iirc). But honestly you only really need to save those gems if you're a completist.

Also a shop opens up in the late game that sells all Gems and you can grind them out via good mining spots real quick once you find them. Sell em, it isn't a huge deal

quote:

Its a barbarian set that gives Attack+ you get from various shrines

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If you want a really easy way to farm rupees, you can go to the far north east of the map, beyond death mountain, and find Gut Check Rock. It's a huge rock tower you can't miss it really. With some decent stamina you can do the super gut check training which costs 100 rupees to partake and 300 minimum is the reward. It's pretty easy.

Kashuno fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Mar 6, 2017

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Harrow posted:

As far as I know all the gems are used for crafting in some capacity. Everything is used for crafting. Lizards and flowers are used for crafting.

Most of the gems aren't terribly rare, though, and they sell for so much dosh that you won't need to drive yourself crazy farming them. Except, again, diamonds. They do drop out of ore deposits (I was lucky enough to find one) but it's a once-in-a-blue-moon kind of thing and otherwise they're handed out as rewards for fairly involved sidequests.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
So where is the Old Man's Hut on the Great Plateau?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

So where is the Old Man's Hut on the Great Plateau?

South end of the region, in a patch of woods near the foot of the mountain.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Your Computer posted:

Just randomly from anywhere or along roads and stuff where you would previously meet them?

The first time was on the road, but since they've also appeared close to important spots, like memory points and the accordion bard.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I love the animation when Great Fairies snatch your rupees away, it's hilarious

Also, I haven't died with a fairy in my pouch yet. Do they actually do the old Zelda thing where if you die with a fairy on you, you come back on the spot with full hearts? Because I just grabbed three of the little buggers and that seems pretty valuable.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

huh apparently the shield you get in the Castle Lockup is unbreakable. It's so easy to get that that seems insane. Anyone confirm?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Im overwhelmed with where to go next. I'm considering death mountain because Im like right there but theres like 70% of the map that is unexplored.

Also I went to some crazy fortress tower, tried to climb it until it started raining. Fell to the bottom and stumbled on a boss and fought him. Climbed to the top when it stopped raining and realized I was outclassed by most of the enemies so I just snuck around and climbed the tower to get the map data.

Game is good.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Oxxidation posted:

South end of the region, in a patch of woods near the foot of the mountain.
Yeah it's basically in between the 2 Southernmost Shrines, in the forest. I found it when going from one to the other.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

huh apparently the shield you get in the Castle Lockup is unbreakable. It's so easy to get that that seems insane. Anyone confirm?

It is not, it just has an absurd amount of HP.

There is a lategame NPC who can remake it though.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Fairies revive you with five hearts, I think.

Also, is this the first time Lynels show up in a 3D Zelda game? They were in the original LoZ and did pretty much what they do here (gently caress your poo poo up when you wander into the wrong place early on) and I think they were in LttP as well, but I don't remember ever fighting a centaur lion man in one of the 3D games.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

at what point will I have the ability to take on those Guardian fuckers? Is it just a matter of "you need better gear" or is there a specific item or weapon that will begin to actually do damage

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Harrow posted:

Also, I haven't died with a fairy in my pouch yet. Do they actually do the old Zelda thing where if you die with a fairy on you, you come back on the spot with full hearts? Because I just grabbed three of the little buggers and that seems pretty valuable.
Yes they're a free full(?) heal when you die.

Oh yeah, one thing I noticed last night. Travelling South from Kakariko, there were some...boxes sticking out of the mountain. One looked like it had fallen off. I was trying to throw it up to see if it did anything but it's tricky with the mountain. Is there actually any point to doing this? Also I actually died because the box rebounded back against me and hit me a couple of times. :saddowns:

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I still don't have my game! FedEx can go gently caress itself forever! :) :) :)

I got to play for 7 straight hour yesterday at a friend's house. Holy hell what a great game. I don't even care one bit that I'm gonna be starting over.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

irlZaphod posted:

Oh yeah, one thing I noticed last night. Travelling South from Kakariko, there were some...boxes sticking out of the mountain. One looked like it had fallen off. I was trying to throw it up to see if it did anything but it's tricky with the mountain. Is there actually any point to doing this? Also I actually died because the box rebounded back against me and hit me a couple of times. :saddowns:

Yes. Use Magnesis and put the box in place.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

irlZaphod posted:

Probably a Korok puzzle. There are 900 scattered around the gameworld. With a special prize for getting all 900!

the special prize is the ability to trigger the maracca dancing animation the big Korok does when you upgrade your poo poo at will. You only need 441 to fully upgrade all your slots

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zore posted:

Probably a Korok puzzle. There are 900 scattered around the gameworld. With a special prize for getting all 900!

the special prize is the ability to trigger the maracca dancing animation the big Korok does when you upgrade your poo poo at will. You only need 441 to fully upgrade all your slots

Speaking of these, there's something next to the bridge to Kakariko where there are two blue nightshade flowers on either side of a tree stump. It really looked like a korok puzzle to me but I couldn't figure out what to do. I tried setting a blue nightshade on the stump and that didn't do anything. Maybe a red herring, I dunno

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Harrow posted:

Yes. Use Magnesis and put the box in place.
:ughh: I keep forgetting that I have magic powers. The same thing happened when I was trying to get into the Shrine by the Stables. I ended up gliding in, when I came back out I realised I could have just created a frozen water pillar. I mean, gliding is probably a perfectly good solution too, but I still felt a bit dumb. :v:

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I actually think the weapon durability is cool. It creates a flow of combat that I like where the last hit of your sword does extra damage (or you can loving throw at them, love doing that) and sends the enemy flying, then you immediately pick up the thing they just dropped (which the game conveniently equips for you automatically) then continue bashing them. It's not like one forked lizalfos sword is any more special than the next one you'll pick up. You do end up saving the special stuff like the rarer elemental weapons cause those can one shot enemies weak to the element, but everything else is fair game to use up as much as you want I think.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

Also, he doesn't go straight there. He goes to Lanayru Stable first.

I've been to a lot of dangerous places now in search of this but I can't find it. Where is it in relation to Kakariko? 2 upgrades aren't enough, I need more upgrades from him ASAP :v:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I dont mind Weapon Durability. It adds tension to some fights, for sure. I wish I could repair stuff instead of it exploding into a million pieces and needing to find something new but I think that would completely change the feel of certain parts of the game. Am a big fan of picking up my enemies weapons, lighting them on fire and throwing them in their faces though. Random boko spear? Here you go idiot.

I was very sad when I found a giant boomerang and it broke :qq:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Quick question: is there some special thing with monster parts that say they "might have some use" like guts and eyes? Just more elixir fodder or are they used for something somewhere? Also what do I do with these mountains of chuchu jelly I have?

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I was very sad when I found a giant boomerang and it broke :qq:

I threw mine off a mountain. Couldn't help but laugh when it didn't come back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MinibarMatchman posted:

at what point will I have the ability to take on those Guardian fuckers? Is it just a matter of "you need better gear" or is there a specific item or weapon that will begin to actually do damage

Better weapons can do strong damage and gently caress up the guardian, but you can literally beat them with a pot lid by perfect parrying the laser 3 times.