Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

hopterque posted:

IF Modeste is basically extinct on ps4 (and xbox maybe as well?) because his price range only goes up to 50k :blessed:

He's getting an upgrade tomorrow too.

Weird, I checked and there were like 10 around 45k today?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Started the game about a month ago, and through sbcs and the like ended up with the good fortune to pack a couple strong players, most notably a standard 89 aguero

I run a epl squad so that's great, but as I'm broke at the moment I can't help but wonder if I'd be better off swapping aguero for standard Sanchez and making 80-100k or so to turn around into sbcs or the 100k promo pack. Would this be a mistake?

Right now I'm running a 4-3-1-2 with

Aguero - Vardy (Firmino, Sturridge, Coutinho)

Ozil

Eriksen - Gundogan - Mahrez (Depay, Sterling, Wilshire, Schneiderlin, De Rossi)

Shaw - Mustafi - Ashley Williams - Coleman (Moreno, Bellerin, Cahill, Reid)

Cech

Is there a better use of my players than this formation?

Don't ever spend money or coins on packs, even promo packs. As for your team, The front three is fine, (I would use Aguero and IF Firmino) but the midfield looks like a mess. It's too weak/not defensive enough. To me the 4312 and the 41212(2) are basically the same formation in game, but if I have to run a 4312 for chem I still use an actual strong CDM in the central spot set to stay back (though you can get away with putting Kante there). I would run Gundogan, Kante/Schneidelin, and Dembele personally. As for your backline, you're doing yourself a huge disservice not using Smalling with anchor, the card is a complete joke. He plays like a legend for about 10k. I've also heard IF Reid is quite good. I'd stick Bellerin on the right to have one pacey fullback to create with. If you're not getting on with your second striker, Martial converted to LF gets 7 chem and is far too good there for his price.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Feb 25, 2017

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Stefan Prodan posted:

Weird, I checked and there were like 10 around 45k today?

Yeah, he's back up to like 47k right now, but yesterday morning there were none available for hours.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Ahahahaha Dembele's upgraded card has 96 pace and the price just jumped 30k instantly.

e: leveled back out now but holy poo poo lol.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Feb 25, 2017

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Yea I sold at 235k like on tuesday. Now he's at 215k. This always happens. The skill upgrade will be the big jump imo.

e- down to 198 lol

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 25, 2017

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I bought back at 200k. I think his price will go up now on from the undercutting. Even if he drops to like 170 after this weekend league I'm fine with the move. He scores one goal and the price skyrockets again + skill upgrades. The nice thing now that he has 96 pace is you can put architect on him and pretty much cover his only weakness (his strength goes from 55 to 70). Architect is overlooked imo, it's the only non defensive card that give a + 15 to strength, Hawk's +5 is weak.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Appreciate the advice, I'll look into Kante today

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

drat SIF-Sokratis dropped hard. I could have sold him for 140k yesterday. He's going for 100k now. Ah well.

When do the upgrades hit the S/IF card that you already have?

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Tzen posted:

When do the upgrades hit the S/IF card that you already have?
Oh I'm dumb. I just logged into the web app and see that the upgrades have been applied. loving A

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I went 8-4. I feel like I play weekend league for the rewards so I can have fun in single matches/tournaments during the week instead of for competition/shoring up WL teams. The poo poo servers and abuse of gameplay mechanics in WL just make it really not very fun. I should be wanting to play the marquee part of FUT but their servers and the gameplay is so bad it's my least favorite mode. They need to get that sorted next year. If WL ran smoothly and we had fifa 15 type gameplay and the games played requirement was reasonable like 20 I would be all over it, but as it stands it's a pain. I don't even feel like playing anymore games today despite the fact I could easily get 14 wins or more. I feel like EA got a massive pass this year for implementing SBCs and the WL but tbh I'd take all that away just to have good gameplay again.

I went back to fifa 16 last night after playing in the weekend league and it was so much better it was unreal, especially since I don't look on 16 that fondly. The biggest issues 16 has are through balls in the final 3rd being very poo poo and the psychic keepers running out at balls but everything else was so much better than 17 (pace is also nerfed too much but that's still an issue this year). The thing I enjoyed most going back to 16 was the fun and freedom I felt on offense, no input lag, crisp dribbling and defenders actually have to commit to get the ball off of you. I suggest people in this thread go back and revisit the game if they have it installed. Moses Simon felt like Messi in this years edition. I'm probably going to go back to 16 for awhile.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if the WL servers are just near me or something, I always have a perfect connection to WL opponents and I look forward to playing it just because that's when I KNOW the connection will be good

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Seltzer posted:

I went 8-4. I feel like I play weekend league for the rewards so I can have fun in single matches/tournaments during the week instead of for competition/shoring up WL teams. The poo poo servers and abuse of gameplay mechanics in WL just make it really not very fun. I should be wanting to play the marquee part of FUT but their servers and the gameplay is so bad it's my least favorite mode. They need to get that sorted next year. If WL ran smoothly and we had fifa 15 type gameplay and the games played requirement was reasonable like 20 I would be all over it, but as it stands it's a pain. I don't even feel like playing anymore games today despite the fact I could easily get 14 wins or more. I feel like EA got a massive pass this year for implementing SBCs and the WL but tbh I'd take all that away just to have good gameplay again.

I went back to fifa 16 last night after playing in the weekend league and it was so much better it was unreal, especially since I don't look on 16 that fondly. The biggest issues 16 has are through balls in the final 3rd being very poo poo and the psychic keepers running out at balls but everything else was so much better than 17 (pace is also nerfed too much but that's still an issue this year). The thing I enjoyed most going back to 16 was the fun and freedom I felt on offense, no input lag, crisp dribbling and defenders actually have to commit to get the ball off of you. I suggest people in this thread go back and revisit the game if they have it installed. Moses Simon felt like Messi in this years edition. I'm probably going to go back to 16 for awhile.

I think part of the "clunky" feel it has this year (input lag and etc) has to do with the engine switch, so hopefully for 18 they'll have figured stuff out a bit better. That said, I've still played a SHITLOAD more this year than last year, and probably more than the last two years combined. Weekend league is insanely frustrating and I hate it sometimes but drat it feels good when you're playing well and the game is working well, even if I lose in the end. Also, although 16 and 15 wound up being pretty good in the end, I remember I wound up refunding both of them after a few days because they were such a mess at launch, and didn't rebuy them until about this time of year in the end.

Stefan Prodan posted:

I wonder if the WL servers are just near me or something, I always have a perfect connection to WL opponents and I look forward to playing it just because that's when I KNOW the connection will be good

Yeah weekend league connections are usually ace for me, way better than divisions or draft or anything.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
So there's an sbc out for an 87 rated cavani that costs ~40k (it cost me like 25k when I did it right away) total and boy is he really good. His 87 rated inform is more than 100k.

Using Modeste more has definitely made me appreciate the beefy boys at striker.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

drat that's a sweet deal.

I decided to sell off Alaba (thank you for your 92 games of service) & Lahm. Bought IF-Hector and IF-Piszczek,

We'll see how this plays out...

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Hector is leagues better than Alaba imo.

Alaba is an incredible player but he barely plays defense and I want and need my defenders to defend.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

hopterque posted:

So there's an sbc out for an 87 rated cavani that costs ~40k (it cost me like 25k when I did it right away) total and boy is he really good. His 87 rated inform is more than 100k.

Using Modeste more has definitely made me appreciate the beefy boys at striker.

I made 40k on selling just the gold Palermo players I had. I might complete it later when the price drops. Kinda lame they made his SBC so low rated when they realease 1,000 EPL ones that are super high rated.

Is Alaba really that poo poo? I was going to get him eventually. I bought my first Legend when they were low over the weekend. I got Okocha banking on the fact that Utaka gets a J-league SBC card (dumb to speculate so far ahead I know but Okocha is cool and I got him cheap). Utaka with an SBC bump would be so awesome. The upside of using Okocha right now is that I can build any 41212(2) with him and my serie a midfield + defense and use any two strikers on the same team up top on full chem. It's allowed me to use SBC Griffiths and IF Moussa Dembele (the Celtic one) together in an actually good squad.

e- Giuliano got an upgrade to his IFs. The card is so good. I had TIF eriksen just marginally above him but he might edge it now.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

hopterque posted:

Hector is leagues better than Alaba imo.

Alaba is an incredible player but he barely plays defense and I want and need my defenders to defend.
Yeah that was the biggest thing I noticed about him. He'd be stuck in midfield or wayyyy past the wing and would basically leave me 3 at the back to defend.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I bought SIF Dybala last week for 690k or something, just sold last night for 840k, pretty decent profit.

This weeks TOTW looks absolutely stacked, but I'm really banking on Vardy getting a second IF. I'm going to be watching his price closely for the next 24 hours, will try to pick up 4 or 5 of them if they drop to 275 or less. He's used a ton, and the SIF will end up costing people more than they think. Should be able to get 75k+ profit per card.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

How do you get to the point where you have that many coins :lsd:?

I peaked at like 200k when I packed two motm in short order

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Jonathan Fisk posted:

How do you get to the point where you have that many coins :lsd:?

I peaked at like 200k when I packed two motm in short order

Trading, weekend league, or both.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Just trading for me, only played 5 games of weekend league and haven't bought any packs. I don't really have too much time to play these days so I just trade a bit on downtime at work or at home. Pretty lame I know, but what are you going to do. Once my baby starts sleeping more than 4 hours a night I might actually get to play and then I'll be able to get dominated with a 1.5MM coin team as opposed to a 300k coin team.

Will probably run something like:

https://www.futbin.com/17/squad/2103293

and

https://www.futbin.com/17/squad/2103384

as a fitness team.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

When you say trading, do you mean making percentage sums off of buying/selling high value players strategically?

I don't really have a sense of how the market behaves (PS4)

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I really miss tournaments... it was what I played the most last year. I've won the FUT WL qualifier first time of trying again and I just feel bad re-entering to knock people out. On the other hand I don't like seasons and single matches are boring/most people bronze bench with super teams there for some reason. I think I'm going to have to play the MLS qualifiers though because I like restrictions.

e- also the gameplay/servers is so much smoother for me in tournaments compared to WL.

Stefan Prodan posted:

that's bizarre nearly everyone online I see says that the WL runs worse for them than gameplay during the week. I have good internet and live in a populated area and I have no issues with other games so I doubt it's on my end.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Mar 1, 2017

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Jonathan Fisk posted:

When you say trading, do you mean making percentage sums off of buying/selling high value players strategically?

I don't really have a sense of how the market behaves (PS4)

More or less yeah. There's a few things going on this year with FUT that make investing a bit easier.

Look ahead at the Weekend league qualifiers and tournaments, if there are any restrictions(the last couple weeks had serie A, EPL, Bundesliga, La Liga requirements), buy popular players a few days ahead of time(pacey fullbacks are normally good bets).

The SBCs also offer a lot of investment opportunities. Every month the EPL POTM usually has some obvious players to stock up on. Normally, buy some high rated affordable players from the expected winner's team/former team/country(Lukaku is likely this next month, so Belgians, Anderlecht, Chelsea, West Brom, Everton). Sell them before the SBC is live for a moderate profit. They almost always rise just off of hype.

The EA fifa forums have a bunch of threads devoted to investing, usually a few good ideas on there but be careful, as soon as someone mentions anything on there prices will shoot up fast.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Oh man that TIF-Keita card is my dream. I hope his price drops to sub 70k.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Tzen posted:

Oh man that TIF-Keita card is my dream. I hope his price drops to sub 70k.

His SIF on 7 chem at CM is so insanely good I don't know what I would do without it, so yeah same.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Does anyone have good tactics/instructions for the 41212(2). I rarely run it, but I'm using it more now that I have Okocha. I'm really good with all the 433 variants but the strikers in the 41212 seem to get smothered really easy. The lack of width is annoying and since defending is so good it's hard to find a through ball or 1-2 my way through a defense. I have both forwards set to get in behind and press the back line, CDM on stay back and maybe one full back set back.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I've been using it since it was suggested itt and found that it works best for me with pacey midfielders on the outside and a solid passer at cdm. I use the counter attack style and pressure back with my cam as much as possible.

Ideally I recover the ball about a quarter of the way up the field, pop it outside to a midfielder for a run, pull up and see who comes in trailing.

Alternatively I just let aguero or vardy ball out but that probably doesn't work as well up the ranks :getin:

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Dunno why but I took like a month off the game and now I feel like I'm way better?

I'm like 26-4-3 or something since I came back

Maybe I can finally get Elite again!

I think part of it is I'm not even trying to do anything fancy like at all, I'm doing nothing but just dribbling around and passing and shielding, no skill moves or anything really, just carving people up

Also maybe time off helped me just completely wean myself off of sprint, I've gotten pretty comfortable barely ever using it at all whereas before I would catch myself using it by accident

I also won Div 1 again for the only the second time this year in UT

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I uploaded a couple games where I had some pretty good tiki taka chances, one of the games I scored a ton and one I feel like I should have but just got unlucky

The FC BLUE guy added me to his friend list a long time ago so I know he's not garbage, his record is like 1400-400-600 (he, uh, plays a lot)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vQBaA4m4No
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_Qk9VmyFw0

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Hey, guess who's still really loving good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwWqgtJqwVM

I went down 0-2 early because I wasn't paying attention, and the went on to give the poor guy a whupping and he quit after I scored Modeste's 3rd goal for a 5-2 lead.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Seltzer posted:

I bought my first Legend when they were low over the weekend. I got Okocha banking on the fact that Utaka gets a J-league SBC card (dumb to speculate so far ahead I know but Okocha is cool and I got him cheap).

Get in.

I haven't used Utaka yet but Okocha is really clicking for me. I've got a goal a game from CAM with him so far and I've not been forcing the ball to him at all. He plays above his stats and is really fun to use. I also did the Higuain SBC. His card isn't as super powered as I thought it might be but the squad requirements are so low I just did them all instead of selling my cards off. I'm glad I did, between the two SBCs I've packed over 300k worth of cards easily and the serie a and j - league sbcs took ~80k and 20k respectively to build when I did them. All the silver packs from the J-league SBC have been amazing, so many 5k+ silvers at the moment.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

hopterque posted:

Hey, guess who's still really loving good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwWqgtJqwVM

I went down 0-2 early because I wasn't paying attention, and the went on to give the poor guy a whupping and he quit after I scored Modeste's 3rd goal for a 5-2 lead.
That loving head-touch & goal :fap:

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
27 wins this week! Finally broke the 24 win barrier that had been owning me for months.

I'd like to thank Anthony Modeste who is always there to score a goal when I need him and Ivan Perisic who is the best player in the drat game.

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
i'm thinking the volley stat is just for show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRFlbiSLcRM

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
My investments last week turned out okay, at least pending one sale.

Bought Vardy at like 305k and sold at 360k, bought a SIF Nainggolan at 670k and he will likely sell around 790-800k. After tax it's ~120k profit on those two. Not amazing, but pretty good for very little effort. After Radja sells, I'll be at 1.6MM and ready to pick up a few more players tomorrow :). I was out of town all weekend so I'll have to see who the likely IF players are. I think one more week and I'll be ready to build my team :).

I did the Higuain SBC as well since I already bought all the teams awhile back. Looks to be a decent card, didn't really pack anything special though. 82 Mane and 86 Diego Costa were the best pulls.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Dollas posted:

i'm thinking the volley stat is just for show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRFlbiSLcRM

Honestly I think finishing might just be for show too, lol

I still keep using 44 finishing Danny Latza and honestly on like shots in the box I have barely noticed a difference vs 90whatever finishing Aubameyang

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
TOTW leak shows no dembele so I'm cashing in right now at 325k, if the leak holds I'll probably be able to pick him back up for 50k less than that hopefully.

If I had cashed in a couple hours ago I would have gotten like 360k or so I think but that's life.
Either way I bought him at 190k so I'm pretty happy with my profit.

e: Really, really hoping POTM is Lukaku, his NIF is one of my favorite strikers in the game and I'd kill for an 88 or 89 or whatever rated one.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 8, 2017

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

hopterque posted:

TOTW leak shows no dembele so I'm cashing in right now at 325k, if the leak holds I'll probably be able to pick him back up for 50k less than that hopefully.

If I had cashed in a couple hours ago I would have gotten like 360k or so I think but that's life.
Either way I bought him at 190k so I'm pretty happy with my profit.

e: Really, really hoping POTM is Lukaku, his NIF is one of my favorite strikers in the game and I'd kill for an 88 or 89 or whatever rated one.

I just saw the leak, the highest Dembele was selling was 275 on xbox and he's down only to 260 so I'll make out ok since I got him at 200k. Sold my Koulibaly for 1k more than I got him. The new IF will be pure destruction. The rest of the TOTW is pretty weak imo, though I will pick up Fabian Johnson's card. Hopefully he gets a LB or central card. There needs to be a tradeable totw SBC soon, I snagged like 18 Falcao's at 14k because that's stupid low for a high rated IF. He's up 5k right now but he would easily more than double if one of those rolled out again. His card is pretty awesome btw. Somehow gets me a lot of headers despite his height.

Oh I also made a Dembele hybrid with Moussa Dembele, IF Moussa Dembele and OTW Ousmane Dembele and it rules.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I just can't believe they're not giving Messi an inform for 2 goals and 2 assists, I guess they really ARE taking the contract poo poo personally.

• Locked thread