Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

OwlFancier posted:

The worst crime, a slightly untidy tax return.

Being an incompetent labour leader is not a crime, unfortunately.

Edit: as the submarine Kursk sank to its doom, all 118 souls on board declared the media to be to blame.

Pissflaps fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Mar 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

OwlFancier posted:

Until next week when footage of Corbyn making tea shows he puts the milk in first 😱

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

TACD posted:

Until next week when footage of Corbyn making tea shows he puts the milk in first 😱
If you're going to be so out of touch that you claim to not be wealthy earning in the top 10% of people in this country, and vastly more than the nurses and young people you claim to be behind, it's probably wise to not gently caress up your tax return too and leave yourself open to accusations of hiding your money in classic ~fat cat~ style.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think perhaps it takes a rather dim person to believe that publishing one's tax return is an attempt to hide one's money.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Compared to say, Philip Hammond, who won't be publishing his tax return and has been avoiding tax by transferring his share in a £600,000 property to his wife.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

I think perhaps it takes a rather dim person to believe that publishing one's tax return is an attempt to hide one's money.
It takes a dimmer one still to say "oh well they've released something, even if it contains mistakes or lacks information it's good that they did". If Hammond took him up on the offer and released a similarly specious document that missed out/obscured big chunks of his income, Labour would rightly pick him up on it.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

jBrereton posted:

It takes a dimmer one still to say "oh well they've released something, even if it contains mistakes or lacks information it's good that they did". If Hammond took him up on the offer and released a similarly specious document that missed out/obscured big chunks of his income, Labour would rightly pick him up on it.

no its good that corbyn's pressuring tories to publish how much tax they dodge and the mistakes aren't a part of that point

it's dim to not even get the numbers right I mean wtf

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Not with Gorgeous George, a John McTernan certified winner, on the prowl.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

lets just adopt stormont-style community rules but you declare whether you're a landlord or not

hoxha was right

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Spangly A posted:

hoxha was right
"A People's Pillbox in every garden" - Labour Manif. 2020.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

OwlFancier posted:

joking aside, there is a big issue here. communication. they're consistently terrible at it, so whatever point they're attempting to make is lost.
like how hard would it be to look at the document before chucking it on twitter and think "this needs a few lines of explanatory notes cos of all the jargon"

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Who said it: Jeremy Corbyn or Enver Hoxha?

who said it, indeed

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Spangly A posted:

lets just adopt stormont-style community rules but you declare whether you're a landlord or not

hoxha was right

that would make for some very strange bedfellows
Corbyn's still renting his place out isn't he?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Cerv posted:

that would make for some very strange bedfellows
Corbyn's still renting his place out isn't he?

I'm honestly in doubt that a government could be formed but I think hoxha had a suggestion about that too

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Labour is a hoxha-poxha many different ideas, true.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

You know drat well the context of this sentence was her saying Labour doesn't take any votes for granted, and she doesn't like to imply that by calling anywhere a safe seat. You're being as disingenuous as the express if you're trying to imply it means anything other than that.

Also, you can put income wherever you feel it's most appropriate on a tax return. Multiple options are often acceptable. The fact that where Corbyns accountant chose to put his added pay is the big story rather than Hammond outright refusing to publish his is what's wrong with this country.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

jabby posted:

Also, you can put income wherever you feel it's most appropriate on a tax return. Multiple options are often acceptable. The fact that where Corbyns accountant chose to put his added pay is the big story rather than Hammond outright refusing to publish his is what's wrong with this country.

If Corbyn hadn't published an incorrect declaration of his earnings then it might not be what the focus is.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

jabby posted:

You know drat well the context of this sentence was her saying Labour doesn't take any votes for granted, and she doesn't like to imply that by calling anywhere a safe seat. You're being as disingenuous as the express if you're trying to imply it means anything other than that.

We already know that the entire front bench and probably most of the back bench of the Tories is bent as a spoon. The issue is that if you try and be all New Politics about things you'd best get the execution right, because you don't get a second chance to not gently caress it up, especially when your shadow chancellor is talking about the rich needing to publish their tax returns.

Now where's the policy? "Publish your taxes if you earn a million quid but have another go if you get it wrong - end of the day, we all make mistakes?"

and i must meme
Jan 15, 2017

i swear there's a huge subset of telegraph articles that are just about labour mps being secret communists

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean, that's not a bad policy, the point of it would be to make sure that we know what ministers are paying, not to catch them on actual errors.

If you keep publishing ones that hide like £600k of income then we've got a problem.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

I mean, that's not a bad policy, the point of it would be to make sure that we know what ministers are paying, not to catch them on actual errors.

If you keep publishing ones that hide like £600k of income then we've got a problem.
If you get it wrong to start with they'll just say "oh right whoops guess my accountant screwed up, you know how it is Jer'."

That's why this is frustrating; it's a kind of okay policy, although I don't personally see the point of it, but once again it's turned into another Corbyn blunder that discredits the Labour party by association.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

jBrereton posted:

That's why this is frustrating; it's a kind of okay policy, although I don't personally see the point of it,

Countries that have open tax returns have lower avoidance as well as lower evasion. It's to encourage social policing.

The populist side effect of such a policy being mainstream is a mentality of "hunt the rich", which is a deadly atmosphere for a tory government full of massive tax frauds.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

jBrereton posted:

"A People's Pillbox in every garden" - Labour Manif. 2020.
I'd vote for this.

We could even make big ones that could be used as state owned houses during peacetime.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

I'd vote for this.

We could even make big ones that could be used as state owned houses during peacetime.

if "france might invade" is a valid reason for having nukes it's a valid reason for state pillbox housing

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

jBrereton posted:

If you get it wrong to start with they'll just say "oh right whoops guess my accountant screwed up, you know how it is Jer'."

That's why this is frustrating; it's a kind of okay policy, although I don't personally see the point of it, but once again it's turned into another Corbyn blunder that discredits the Labour party by association.

I think there's a difference between "it's on page 2" and "oh dear I seem to have forgotten to pay a few hundred thousand in tax whoopsie daisy let me just fix that"

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
lol the ukmt never changes

the NHS is going to die to make brexit somehow less of a disaster

Vauxhall has been bought by Peugeot and some people might lose their jobs but it is definitely totally unconnected to brexit

at least americas train wreck politics are laugh out loud funny not depressing "at least some of the people who voted to gently caress everyone will also get hosed" schadenfreude funny

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

The briefings begin

quote:

Senior DUP sources told the Belfast Telegraph that Mrs Foster should reconsider her decision and not put her personal pride before what was best for "the party and the people of Northern Ireland".

The sources said they believed that Sinn Fein wouldn't back down from its position of not forming a government with the DUP if Mrs Foster was nominated as First Minister before the inquiry into the 'cash for ash' scandal issued at least an initial report.

One DUP figure proposed a compromise move for Mrs Foster whereby she would accept another ministry in the new Executive, with the agreement that she would step up and become First Minister after the inquiry.

"I think that is an entirely reasonable compromise which doesn't involve Arlene being humiliated," the source said.

"It wasn't a good election for us, we can't ignore that.

"But this is a possible solution that I think Sinn Fein would go for and it would enable Arlene to regain lost ground."

Another high-ranking DUP source said that around a third of MLAs felt "angry and let down" by their leader.

But he said that Mrs Foster had strong support from her deputy, Nigel Dodds, and from senior party advisers.

http://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/new...s-35504549.html

Perhaps a sign of cracks in the DUP forming, though with Dodds backing Foster remains untouchable

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

This is horrible. They go on an on about how awful Hoxha was and how terrible it is that Corbyn is so close to him in views. Then the questions are all really mundane stuff that anyone with empathy would agree with. That America was founded on the bodies of native Americans is not controversial. A party being founded on the basis of worker rights is not controversial. Combating imperialism is not controversial. Absolutely none of the quotes are anything "dodgy" involving murder or oppression.

They might as well have run a story just going "leftists are all the same and are all huge stalins! *FARTS*".

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Regarde Aduck posted:

They might as well have run a story just going "leftists are all the same and are all huge stalins! *FARTS*".
That's the Mail version.

Comrade Cheggorsky
Aug 20, 2011

glad to see the return of pissflaps kursk posts, also if corbyn is this stupid in regards to his tax returns imagine how he would be with any actual power

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Breath Ray posted:

Is it really necessary to lay out where new labour went wrong I mean why hamstring yourself
Yes. Because in order to achieve the political turnaround most people in this thread want, current Labour needs to show how they are going to address the concerns of the traditional Labour base. That involves showing why, the last time said base voted Labour, it didn't work out for them as they hoped.

jBrereton posted:

If you can't trust him not to puss out on being leader twice you can't trust him to lead the party full stop.
Yeah I dunno. I don't think he's the real deal (I don't think anyone's the real deal) but at least what he wrote there is pretty coherent, comprehensive and not entirely platitudinous. In other words, it at least looks like (the beginnings of) a viable platform for a party to win power.
Honestly the thing I care most about is economic stance. Umunna, like seemingly everyone prominent in the Labour party (except maybe McDonnell), seems to have gently caress-all real substance on this. He's been... inconsistent:
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices...h-10247245.html
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/analysis-and-features/chuka-umunna-it-is-plain-camerkozy-austerity-is-not-working-7791148.html

I think he'll probably say whatever he thinks will get him into power. i.e. he's a true Blairite, and can't be trusted with power.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

kustomkarkommando posted:

The briefings begin

http://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/new...s-35504549.html

Perhaps a sign of cracks in the DUP forming, though with Dodds backing Foster remains untouchable

it's absolutely fascinating that she doesn't think she needs to step down

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

jabby posted:

I'm pretty sure that Corbyn imposing a three-line whip for Brexit despite 78% of his constituents voting Remain is taking their votes for granted, you know.

e: oh my god, this is fractal dysfunctionality

https://twitter.com/jenwilliamsmen/status/837593259291656193

TinTower fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 6, 2017

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Spangly A posted:

it's absolutely fascinating that she doesn't think she needs to step down

Stepping down now is admitting defeat and succumbing to SF demands, the DUP are bullish that nationalism will not select the leader of Unionism - some kind of temporary fiddle where Foster remains leader but Simon Hamilton becomes first minister pending the conclusion of the inquiry (at which stage he would resign letting Foster back in) seems to be emerging as an option.

Of course if Foster accepted the temporary leave of absence from her position initially advanced by SF pre election that could have been avoided, too late for that though

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Regarde Aduck posted:

This is horrible. They go on an on about how awful Hoxha was and how terrible it is that Corbyn is so close to him in views. Then the questions are all really mundane stuff that anyone with empathy would agree with. That America was founded on the bodies of native Americans is not controversial. A party being founded on the basis of worker rights is not controversial. Combating imperialism is not controversial. Absolutely none of the quotes are anything "dodgy" involving murder or oppression.

You're not kidding. The only disagreeable quote in there is "Stalin made some mistakes," which is controversial only by virtue of being a hilariously dishonest understatement.

edit: glancing down the page, their Donald Trump or Adolf Hitler quiz is just as loving asinine. At least they're consistent.

Not Operator fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Mar 6, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would imagine that there are quite a few people reading the telegraph who would definitely dispute that killing native americans was bad and that any organization nowadays may be held responsible for it, that workers rights are a good thing, and that imperialism is even a concept.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Contemporary politics is miserable. Labour are either completely shambolic or endorse the majority of the status quo depending on which wing of the party they are on, Tories are hellbent on making Thatcher look like a living embodiment of empathy in comparison to Theresa May, the SNP are for the status quo in regards to everything except for Scotland's membership of the Union, & the Scottish people don't even want that little change, the Liberals, Greens & everyone else are an irrelevancy.

Totally unconnected to all that, I picked up a book on the history of the Labour Party in a charity shop, I'd been looking for a book on the foundation of the Labour Representation Committee or the labour movement & trade unionism in general but this has had to do now. Mostly I've been wondering why Britain has a total lack of a tradition of a radical working class movement. Why syndicalism made an impact on unions in places on the continent while our own unions seemed depressingly conservative on the whole? Is there something to learn there? Because it seems like we need to get back to basics. We often moan about how the public are ill-informed, misinformed by the media, and all that's true but complaining about it doesn't really achieve anything. How do you work around that? How do you educate people so they have a better understanding that household debt is not remotely comparable to national debt and other basic economic ideas?

Probably impossible questions to answer but I'd rather dwell on that than on Jeremy Corbyn doing a Chris Iwelumo & missing an empty net from 5 yards out yet again.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
:ironicat: from the Tory former leader of the local council, saying this:

https://twitter.com/SL_Benton/status/837030324223754241

Just a day before this:

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

I would imagine that there are quite a few people reading the telegraph who would definitely dispute that killing native americans was bad and that any organization nowadays may be held responsible for it, that workers rights are a good thing, and that imperialism is even a concept.

Yeah but they used to know these views were lovely. Shy Torism and all that. I guess those days are well over and we can proudly explaim "I'm glad all those lovely native Americans died because they were all cucking fucks!!!!!".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

May's argument that she couldn't possibly allow the commons or Lords a veto on the terms of Brexit, because this may give the EU incentive to give the UK a bad deal, begs the question: then what the gently caress will the vote she promised at the end of the negotiations actually gong to be about?

• Locked thread