Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

drrockso20 posted:

Weird West is always better, really wish you weren't going to do it as a PBP cause I've been really wanting to be in a game lately but no one is doing anything except PBP and it's incredibly frustrating

And a mere hour or so after posting this I find two D&D 4e games with open slots, so looks like that problem of mine is solved for the moment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

That Old Tree posted:

Please don't normalize things like witches.

*turns you into a pepe frog, then puts out a cigarette on you, then steps on you, then turns into a snake and swallows you, all of this done in a NON-FETISHISTIC way*

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
A thing I'm working on has three different combat power types - attack, counter, and interrupt. The skill system has three analogous power types that I've been calling 'skill attack,' 'skill counter,' and 'skill interrupt.' This has proven to be confusing to some people; anyone have suggestions for better terminology for the skill powers?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

...Well, what do they do? I've no idea what "skill attack" would mean.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

slap me and kiss me posted:

A thing I'm working on has three different combat power types - attack, counter, and interrupt. The skill system has three analogous power types that I've been calling 'skill attack,' 'skill counter,' and 'skill interrupt.' This has proven to be confusing to some people; anyone have suggestions for better terminology for the skill powers?
What is confusing them? Do combat counters and skill counters work essentially the same or differently?

If the problem is that players have "attacks" and "counters" which are combat power types but "skill attacks" and "skill counters" which are skill power types, then you should just have "combat attacks" and "combat counters".

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Gobbeldygook posted:

What is confusing them? Do combat counters and skill counters work essentially the same or differently?

If the problem is that players have "attacks" and "counters" which are combat power types but "skill attacks" and "skill counters" which are skill power types, then you should just have "combat attacks" and "combat counters".

The mechanic behind it all is exactly the same. Using "Combat attack" makes a lot of sense. Thanks!

Siivola posted:

...Well, what do they do? I've no idea what "skill attack" would mean.

A skill attack is a power type that's used to initiate a skill challenge.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Why not "Power Attack", "Super Attack" or "Hyper Attack" or something.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

oriongates posted:

Why not "Power Attack", "Super Attack" or "Hyper Attack" or something.

Because none of those names tell you anything, except that it's "an attack, but more so." I'm not sure what you're suggesting they replace but it'd be more confusing than anything he's shared already.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

LongDarkNight posted:

Those both seem really neat. Any examples of the sort content it outputs?

Scenic Dunnsmouth

For an example of play I found this blog : http://tenfootpolemic.blogspot.com/2015/01/so-i-ran-scenic-dunnsmouth.html

I also generated two "Dunnsmouth"s. I will be focusing on the main characters and plot that Dunnsmouth generates in the below write-ups. It took me about 10-15 minutes to generate a Dunnsmouth.

Town 1

As the book says, “Dunnsmouth is diseased and rotten to the core.”

Dunnsmouth’s main problem is the presence of a secretive spider cult. If the giant cult spider bites a person, they become infected. Infected individuals revere the spider with unholy devotion and have the problem of any of their offspring bearing spider-attributes (spider heads, spider arms, etc.). The infection is actually worse than this, but I’m not going to spoil the entire terrifying truth.

The infection rate in Town 1 is unfortunately at the maximum (4 out of 4), meaning 8 of out 11 normal households have spider cultists.

Unfortunately the village witch, Magda is also under sway of the cult spider. So much so that the Spider lives at Magda’s small stone cottage with four mutated cultists, one level 1 magic user cultist, and Magda herself who is a level 1 magic user with Charm Person.

Uncle Ivan, the resident deviant fighter (level 2) by way of Ramsey Bolton, is also part of the spider cult. He lives in a shack built on a boulder in the swamp with his two war hounds. He has a mason jar full of human eyeballs he likes to liberate from his “guests” before he chases them with his warhounds.

Fortunately the Church is free of spider taint. The resident cleric is clear headed and sane, but worries about his parishioners strange and secretive habits. Unfortunately he is a level zero cleric so no healing here!

Respite can also be found at the two story brick house occupied by a now disappeared famous author. The author was making private notes on the four main families of Dunnsmouth and the strange behavior of the majority (8 out of 11 in fact!) of the residents. The author’s unfinished and rejected manuscripts may earn anywhere from 50 to 5000 silver pieces to a collector at a nearby city.

Again, this is only a sample not including the 10 other households that are all randomly chosen and specifically detailed (infected and not infected) in the main Scenic Dunnsmouth book.

Town 2

For the infection rate again I rolled a 4 out of 4. The spider has infected 7 out of 11 normal households and the church this time.

The spider is cheerily weaving it’s webs in the Church crypt, this time guarded by 4 mutant cultists, a level 1 magic user, a level 0 priest and one infected henchmen. Our good priest is the cultist leader this time around.

Magda, our witch, is one of the few free of the spider’s influence and a rather robust level 4 magic user. She has charm person, summon, locate object, and (ironically) web in her repertoire. Because Uncle Ivan is close to her in level, and infected; Magda is afraid of Uncle Ivan and will urge the players to defeat him and find out what is really going on with the strange happenings in Dunnsmouth.

Uncle Ivan, our lovable cannibal (level 3 warrior), dwells in a small hut on stilts in the swamp this time. He also owns a boat, and has trapped the entrances to his lair with deadfall rocks (2d6 damage), and slivers of poisoned bone stuck into the rope network that connects the hut to the adjoining trees. Inside his home are doctor’s tools and a torture scene.

Uncle Ivan is a son of a bitch.

Additional help could be found in a Noble’s Manor, a crumbling limestone estate that looks straight out of the Fall of the House of Usher. The Lord of the estate is bedridden, but the middle aged heir and mute dutiful retainer could be convinced to rally the people against the spider infestation in the Church. Perhaps the manor’s ten hunting dogs could be of use…

Other than that Dunnsmouth can contain: a time cube, a visit with Yog-Sothoth, a golden obelisk that once uncovered drags the sun towards the earth measurably once per year, a spell to call a Dimetrodon, angry ghosts, a two handed axe that deals double damage to any individual with Scottish Irish or Welsh ancestry, an elven spy possibly stuck in a tree, a foundry the players can refurbish and invest in, and that’s not even half of the stuff in the book.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 5, 2017

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
We are looking at getting some "battlemats" for a RPG campaign, any recommendations? I see the chessex ones that can be written on and reusable, didn't know if there was something better out there.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Flaggy posted:

We are looking at getting some "battlemats" for a RPG campaign, any recommendations? I see the chessex ones that can be written on and reusable, didn't know if there was something better out there.

A clear plastic or glass that you can lay over a battlemat and draw on with dry-erase is really handy and super-easy to clean.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Flaggy posted:

I think those are still the go-to, although I don't know if there's a specific one that's better these days. For odder uses, check out https://www.gamingpaper.com they sell a bunch of pads of variants.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Flaggy posted:

http://www.staples.ca/en/Staples-Quad-Ruled-Easel-Pad-24-inch-x-35-1-2-inch-1-inch-Quad/product_19312_1-CA_1_20001

Not only is it super cheap, but you can easily go back to previous encounter zones / other locales and not have to redraw the entire map. When the campaign's over, you have souvenirs to give away.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Pope Guilty posted:

A clear plastic or glass that you can lay over a battlemat and draw on with dry-erase is really handy and super-easy to clean.

I really like this idea.

Arivia posted:

I think those are still the go-to, although I don't know if there's a specific one that's better these days. For odder uses, check out https://www.gamingpaper.com they sell a bunch of pads of variants.

This brought me to a website about fitness.

slap me and kiss me posted:

http://www.staples.ca/en/Staples-Quad-Ruled-Easel-Pad-24-inch-x-35-1-2-inch-1-inch-Quad/product_19312_1-CA_1_20001

Not only is it super cheap, but you can easily go back to previous encounter zones / other locales and not have to redraw the entire map. When the campaign's over, you have souvenirs to give away.

This is a great idea as well.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Figured I'd pop in here to see if anyone's been following the Final Fantasy TCG at all? It basically already seems to be dead in the US because of how utterly poor Square Enix's handling of product distribution has been. Horrifically boring-to-bad card art aside, the basic mechanics seemed pretty decent.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Some of my friends got into it, or tried to, but the aforementioned distribution issues made it basically impossible.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Fuego Fish posted:

Been watching a bunch of cowboy stuff lately, and I've still got a bit of an itch to run a PbP, so I gotta ask a question of everyone.

Y'all really love your fantasy elements, huh? It's near enough a 5:1 split.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Fuego Fish posted:

Y'all really love your fantasy elements, huh? It's near enough a 5:1 split.

I honestly didn't bother voting when I saw this poll, because I knew this would be the goon outcome.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

triple sulk posted:

Figured I'd pop in here to see if anyone's been following the Final Fantasy TCG at all? It basically already seems to be dead in the US because of how utterly poor Square Enix's handling of product distribution has been. Horrifically boring-to-bad card art aside, the basic mechanics seemed pretty decent.

I had some customers ask about it once but I never got any farther than finding out none of my distributors even had it listed for order. It basically doesn't exist in the US, so I never really looked at the mechanics. What was interesting about it?

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

P.d0t posted:

I honestly didn't bother voting when I saw this poll, because I knew this would be the goon outcome.

Well you can't be smug about it if you didn't vote.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

triple sulk posted:

I'm shocked to hear that Square-Enix would bungle managing a game like that.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

S.J. posted:

I had some customers ask about it once but I never got any farther than finding out none of my distributors even had it listed for order. It basically doesn't exist in the US, so I never really looked at the mechanics. What was interesting about it?

I'm not sure if any other games have a similar design but it puts some more thought into how you handle the mana-equivalent. You can discard any card (except light/dark types) to get two of that energy which can be used once, and then play "backups" which can be "dulled" (tapped) for one much like land, but they can also have full abilities. However, the energy isn't floating, so if you discard two cards and play a three cost card, that one lingering energy is lost. You need at least one of a given element to play a card of that type (e.g. a 4 yellow can be played with 3 red, 1 yellow). There's more beyond this, but I'm typing on my phone.

The game exists in the US, but from what I can gather, SE decided to launch it too early and didn't provide enough stock and stores that put orders in were massively underserved; they might have ordered 20 boxes and gotten three or four. There's only one company doing all of the US distribution. It seems like a half dozen stores are all that's keeping it alive in the US based on what I've seen in the Reddit/FB communities, because there's no real visible community anywhere else. If you aren't lucky and didn't live near one of these stores you're out of luck and stuck with OCTGN or Skype play.

The official site has a list of "where to buy" retailers and the closet one to me is over an hour away. I asked about it and they said they haven't received any product for months now and have no plans on obtaining more. There's another wave coming of the first set called Opus I, but you pretty much still have to order everything from the UK. Opus II is due in a few weeks but I'm already thinking it's too late because it's looking like the distribution is still going to be awful. It's all just kind of a shame and kind of mind boggling as to how badly they messed up.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

That sucks. I'd take an FF CCG over the current anime tiddies poo poo people are playing.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

S.J. posted:

That sucks. I'd take an FF CCG over the current anime tiddies poo poo people are playing.

Both are good.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Anime is good though

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I'm still struggling with the idea that Final Fantasy isn't anime tiddies.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm still struggling with the idea that Final Fantasy isn't anime tiddies.

Then you haven't seen the real anime tiddies card games.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I underestimated Agricola. It's a lot more fun than I remembered.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

This is how they get you.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Flaggy posted:

We mostly use Chessex, but a friend of mine owns Maps by Mars, and I liked the ones he sent me. Go with a lighter color, though, because the dark ones are seriously dark.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
I really like my Chessex mat. It's starting to show some battle wear (protip: if you happen to use a red wet-erase, make sure to clean it the same day -- that really goes for everything, but red is especially bad to leave on there) but it's held up for nearly a decade at this point.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

There's also Noteboard, which folds up nicely for storage but has the odd size of 35" x 15".

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

gradenko_2000 posted:

Anime is good though

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Agricola is badass

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Is there still a general discord that TG posters use? I can't find a link anywhere.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Is there still a general discord that TG posters use? I can't find a link anywhere.

Yep! Here's the one I set up: https://discord.gg/qFMBQ8a

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Arivia posted:

Yep! Here's the one I set up: https://discord.gg/qFMBQ8a

Thanks!

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I’m looking to make a list of all the rpgs and rpg supplements that tackle the subject of base building, domain management or organization building.

quote:

Birthright (AD&D)
Stronghold Builder’s Guidebook (3.5 D&D)
Mutant: Year Zero (core)
Guilded Cage (V:tM)
Conspiracy X
Adventurer Conqueror King
An Echo Resounding (Sine Nomine)
Ultimate Campaign (Pathfinder – has updated Kingmaker rules)
Blades in the Dark
Reign

So what am I missing from this list?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Countblanc posted:

Both are good.

Force of Will and a number of other games are kind of embarassing

e: which makes me sad because FoW in particular seems fairly well made and has a lot of good art

S.J. fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Helical Nightmares posted:

I’m looking to make a list of all the rpgs and rpg supplements that tackle the subject of base building, domain management or organization building.

So what am I missing from this list?

Exalted springs to mind.

• Locked thread