Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
Ok so who has modified their EV for longer range? I have been doing some aeromods to my Leaf. Here are some test results:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5OVB4peSIA

Approximately .2mi/kwh at 65mph gained on flat ground or about 4 miles of extra range over a 20kwh battery charge. Of course this should increase with speed and also will result in increased regen.

Vitamin J fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Cover the wheel arches. In the rear only, hopefully goes without saying but you never know.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Cover the wheel arches. In the rear only, hopefully goes without saying but you never know.

Or just put moon discs or something similar on the wheels.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Has any company tried the Airbnb model for EV charging? Let folks on road trips pay a modest amount to park in some random driveway for a few hours to top up? If I had a BnB near a large city I would definitely consider a Tesla compatible charge point for guests.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
There is charge maps but most driveway spots are free. You can add a spot to the map. Unless you have some magical location though no one is going to want to hang out in your driveway for 2 hours.

Below: That is what I was talking about. I have never seen a charge private location but you might be murdered there so who knows.

There are 20 around my auto location most just say call first and I will open up the garage for you. Bunch of EV nutters.

Elephanthead fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Feb 25, 2017

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Has any company tried the Airbnb model for EV charging? Let folks on road trips pay a modest amount to park in some random driveway for a few hours to top up? If I had a BnB near a large city I would definitely consider a Tesla compatible charge point for guests.

https://www.plugshare.com/

Don't have an account, so no idea if there is any payment involved for the private spots.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The VW I.D. Buzz has had some more specs released, a few months back, not sure if it has made the rounds.

Dimensions: length 4,94 m, width 1,97 m, height 1,96 m. Wheelbase 3,3 m.

Two powertrains to choose from, 111 kWh / 369 hp. 83 kWh / 268 hp. Seems a big bunch of power for the job, but the I guess max rating of the motor isn't necessarily the same as the watts available to the right foot. The draggy flat end will impact range, but 111 kWh will still go a long way. Just need a roof rack for surf boards.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I like how nobody's wearing a seat belt

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Well, they're sitting on office furniture. Nothing in that photo actually exists.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Looks like an electric version of the old VW bus with the modern conveniences of a Flex. I'd buy one in a heartbeat if it was available looking like that and I was in the market for a >2 person vehicle.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Yeah, it's an idea that I wish I had a reason to buy.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

More VW concepts, a driveable one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1V0je9WFjRc

So much white plastic it looks like a render. It's barely more functional than a 3D render and filled with unrealistic features, but it shows that VW is on their way to somewhere good.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Of course they had to copy the motorised door handles, the dumbest gimmick of the tesla model S.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I'd really prefer actual side view mirrors too

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
I'd be totally interested in an electric VW camper. Not so much interest in an electric VW bus shaped SUV with a fold-out table in the middle to have businessperson conversations over.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
When I was in NZ we rented a campervan and I couldn't help but think it's a no-brainer to make an EV campervan. We drove maximum 150-200 miles a day and stopped multiple times in towns along the way, a 100kwh battery should be able to do that range even in a van. Then most nights you stay in a campervan park and there is a 240v outlet in every spot! The times you don't stay somewhere with electricity you could still plug in when you're doing touristy stuff. That idea probably won't work in the US, not until you can get 300+ miles and much faster charging, but in Europe or the UK it definitely could work.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Campervans in Norway never exceed 20 mph while the driver is filming fjords anyway, so that should help range.

Btw, funny to think the T1 and T2 VWs were actually camper vans which families spent the night in, nowadays they are dwarfed by a compact SUV. People of the 1960s were teeny tiny.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
if you look across all of human history, it's really just that people in the last thirty years have gotten extraordinarily fat.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

blugu64 posted:

I'd really prefer actual side view mirrors too

Camera-based "mirrors" are probably never going to replace actual mirrors. With a mirror, you're looking "through" the mirror into the distance, so you're focusing on roughly the same distance as looking at the road ahead. With a monitor, your eyes have to adjust to an object right up in your face, which takes time and can be uncomfortable to do quickly.

If camera-based mirrors are going to be a thing, they need to do some fancy trickery with lenses and mirrors, otherwise people will just hate it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The most critical problem with using a camera as a mirror, to me, is that you can't temporarily adjust the angle of view by moving your head. The camera only sees what it's pointed at, and to see anything else you have to move it around.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Both good points. Also, a lens and an image sensor will be less likely to match a mirror in providing useful detail in direct sun glare, although it might be better at night.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

EV insurance talk:

I wrecked my year-old Volt on black ice a couple of winters ago. Allstate adjuster had never seen a Volt, dealership body shop in buttfuck TN had never worked on a Volt. Allstate authorized $18k in repairs (on a car that at the time was selling used for $23k). They fixed the body and the car still wasn't drivable. After much back and forth with Allstate, I finally got them to total it.

I cringe to think that somewhere someone is driving that car. You know they didn't just throw in the towel after they cut me loose.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Sagebrush posted:

The most critical problem with using a camera as a mirror, to me, is that you can't temporarily adjust the angle of view by moving your head. The camera only sees what it's pointed at, and to see anything else you have to move it around.

If it's a bad idea then why has GM already put it into production? :smugdog:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QcJQ_7VFb0

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Throatwarbler posted:

Because GM.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Throatwarbler posted:

I assume the same reason as buttonless trackpads being on every loving laptop now.
Because lovely ideas that look cool beat good, practical ideas in marketing.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
OK maybe a dumb question, but isn't a mirror in 3d where a video screen is not?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CharlesM posted:

Yeah, but I for one don’t feel like I get a lot of binocular depth cues from side mirrors. I’m sneaking glimpses at objects that are relatively far away.

Another difference with mirrors is that if you move your head you get a different view. This can be good or bad.

A couple of nice features screens have are that they can limit brightness selectively and that their size isn’t constrained by ærodynamic/width concerns.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Mar 4, 2017

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

CharlesM posted:

Only the center bit. Anything along either edge will only reflect into one eye. Also at the ranges you typically see things in car mirrors, you mostly determine distance from environmental cues anyway. Also also, many mirrors are convex and that messes with binocular range finding quite a bit.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

A mirror is just reflecting all the light going into it. It is a handy result that to look behind you with a mirror your eyes can stay focused similarly to looking through the windshield, whereas with a video screen surface a foot or two away you have to refocus your eyes to the much shorter distance (same reason why I hate 3D movies... too much drat work to keep refocusing my eyes). With a mirror you are in effect looking out the rear window instead of the front, which is similar in terms of focal point (the greater the focal point distance from you, the broader the depth of field too).

It would be technically possible to use optics to change a video screen so that it could be focused on similarly to the mirror (focusing past the physical surface, same concept as how with VR goggles you are focusing into the distance rather than the screens an inch from your eyes) but this might seem weird in actual effect, I dunno.

Don't they do something like that with the HUDs projected on windshields?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Man_of_Teflon posted:

It would be technically possible to use optics to change a video screen so that it could be focused on similarly to the mirror (focusing past the physical surface, same concept as how with VR goggles you are focusing into the distance rather than the screens an inch from your eyes) but this might seem weird in actual effect, I dunno.

Don't they do something like that with the HUDs projected on windshields?

That’s not possible for HUDs that are projected on the windshield, but it is done for things like the Prius digital dash, which is presented just below the windshield.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 4, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Man_of_Teflon posted:

How would you do that technically? I thought the VR model depended on screen-per-eye.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Throatwarbler posted:

It would be really cool if they had something a bit more trick in that mirror like the system their IMSA GTLM corvettes have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96vL7HMrExc

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Platystemon posted:

That’s not possible for HUDs that are projected on the windshield, but it is done for things like the Prius digital dash, which is presented just below the windshield.

That makes sense. Is the Prius one just reflected at you by the windshield then?

Subjunctive posted:

How would you do that technically? I thought the VR model depended on screen-per-eye.

Not the 3D effect part, I was referring to the changing of focus point.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Man_of_Teflon posted:

Not the 3D effect part, I was referring to the changing of focus point.

I haven't studied VR optics for a couple of years, but focusing my eyes at different depths involves changing the direction my eyes are pointing as well as lens curvature. The directional pointing, and image translation, is an essential piece of the focal depth sensation, as I recall -- which could be wrong!

What optical techniques are you referencing that can mimic different focal points? I know there's research into doing it with polarization tricks, but it's still far from product.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Man_of_Teflon posted:

That makes sense. Is the Prius one just reflected at you by the windshield then?

There’s a mirror at a 45° angle just below the bottom edge of the windshield. The display itself is buried deep in the dash.

I’m not sure if there’s a lens in the path to further adjust the focus.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

I haven't studied VR optics for a couple of years, but focusing my eyes at different depths involves changing the direction my eyes are pointing as well as lens curvature. The directional pointing, and image translation, is an essential piece of the focal depth sensation, as I recall -- which could be wrong!

What optical techniques are you referencing that can mimic different focal points? I know there's research into doing it with polarization tricks, but it's still far from product.

Without getting too into it (trying to read up more on this myself), it looks like the technical explanation is a "real image" vs a "virtual image."

The former is light rays converging to make an image that can be projected onto something (think a projector onto a wall - once you focus it right, you see the image).

The latter is diverging light rays that require an additional lens (your eye) to resolve (such as a microscope - you aren't looking at a projected image or screen, you are jamming your eye into the path of a bunch of light rays that can be resolved when your eye focuses at a comfortably far distance).

Most things we look at are diverging images, as light reflects off of objects around us and our eyes, focused at the appropriate distance, project a real image onto our retinas.

It appears what with some wizardry it is possible to alter the path of the light rays to diverge in a different pattern that allows your eyes to focus at a different, more comfortable distance, to resolve them.

I wonder if there are issues with angle of view that the methods work with, though.

I believe a rear view mirror is far enough from your eyes that the individual aim of each eye wouldn't change anything.

somebody call a physics major/optometrist in here!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Man_of_Teflon posted:

somebody call a physics major/optometrist in here!

Indeed. My uncle was a professor of optometry until recently, maybe I'll ask him.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
65 EV miles on a '13 volt in one day, might be a record for me. Heck yeah.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Kind of bad news for the Ampera-E, perhaps good news in the long run.

quote:

General Motors is selling Opel, it's European division, to the PSA Group.

The automakers announced the sale on Monday. The deal will total $2.3 billion (2.2 billion Euros) and consist of GM's sales of its Opel/Vauxhall unit for $1.3 billion (1.3 billion Euros) and its European GM Financial arm for $1 billion (900 million Euros).

nordic.businessinsider.com/gm-opel-sale-23-billion-2017-3

By now, Opel and Vauxhall are just empty shells. They have a name and an organization, but no own patents or platforms. What does Peugeot get out of this? Will GM sell the Bolt in Europe now? Will you take your Chevy which actually is a General Motor but sort of is an Opel to Peugeot for a warranty repair? Or just get a Tesla?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Ola posted:

Kind of bad news for the Ampera-E, perhaps good news in the long run.

nordic.businessinsider.com/gm-opel-sale-23-billion-2017-3

By now, Opel and Vauxhall are just empty shells. They have a name and an organization, but no own patents or platforms. What does Peugeot get out of this? Will GM sell the Bolt in Europe now? Will you take your Chevy which actually is a General Motor but sort of is an Opel to Peugeot for a warranty repair? Or just get a Tesla?

Yes, better sell the compact Euro brand that is supplying half of Buick's lineup to sell more trucks and suvs. GM has such foresight sometimes, better continue lobbying for decreased EPA regs while they are at it.

• Locked thread