Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

Some sort of water feature, a fountain perhaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

TheHoodedClaw posted:

Some sort of water feature, a fountain perhaps.

Liquid cooling. But you can see the neon antifreeze flowing around the bezel

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Mister Macys posted:

Digital OTA TV tuner.

The creative mic + earphone placements of the Nokia N-Gage:

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Kerbtree posted:

Ring ring ring ring ring Taco phone!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Obviously, Moto's Homer Mods weren't ambitious enough for their target consumer base.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I thought I'd heard that they'd already given up on Moto Mods. Huh.

That was LG. Motorola has committed to something like 12 mods a year and that they will work on phones for 3 years.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Ola posted:

[you can skip the first ranty bit...]
I complained about Smart Lock a few pages back, my favourite 3rd party smart unlocker had been unsupported for a while without me noticing and I curse the hour I uninstalled it. I relented and tried the built-in, only-option-now smart lock and it is a hilariously unreliable piece of poo poo. One time it managed to lock when I was in the stairs down from the apartment, which impressed me, but mostly it treats "home" as ~150 yard circle around my building, which is not good enough. Today I went on a trip 150 miles from home and it was unlocked the entire time. Now that I'm home, it's locked and I have to punch the PIN code every time. How unsmart does it have to be to work in exact opposite of its advertised functionality? Location service was fine all day, it nailed my position on the ski trails with the usual perfect accuracy.

Sorry for the rant, but Google intentionally removing support for 3rd party apps so the only option is their own lovely one makes me very internet angry.

[...and just answer these, thank you]

1. Is anyone getting reliable service out of location based Smart Lock?
2. Is there really no way to get WiFi-triggered screen unlock?

Using a Sony Z3 Compact on 6.0.1

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...jDcWImQGLiIbQAQ

Try that. I know there's an app that allows you to dso it with wifi, don't remember if it needs root. Alternatively, install CyanogenMod and use the system profiles

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Kerbtree posted:

"They picked the 3310 over this masterpiece!?" :downswords:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Blue Train posted:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...jDcWImQGLiIbQAQ

Try that. I know there's an app that allows you to dso it with wifi, don't remember if it needs root. Alternatively, install CyanogenMod and use the system profiles

Thanks, but that's the one I used before, it now says it's not compatible with my device. I suppose cyanogenmod or trying to write my own is the only way to go.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

JayKay posted:

HTC10 with Nougat

Where is the option to immediately lock screen with the power button? This was something in MM, but I cannot find it for the life of me in N.

Anyone?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Security, Screen lock cog icon, Power button instantly locks. This is on Pixel 7.1.1.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Security, Screen lock cog icon, Power button instantly locks. This is on Pixel 7.1.1.

Ahhh, so that's where it's been hiding. Thanks!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Man I wish assistant would roll out for my phone.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I've never seen assistant. How is different from saying OK Google?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I dunno, I've honestly barely ever used it on my Pixel. I'd give you mine if I could.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Alan_Shore posted:

I've never seen assistant. How is different from saying OK Google?

It acts more like a person you ask for stuff and is embedded in Allo so you are able to issue text commands like voice too.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

One other very nice thing about the Assistant is the home automation. You no longer need a Google Home in order to issue voice commands for your lights, for example.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Lowen SoDium posted:

Ring ring ring ring ring Taco phone!

Listen the nGage had Rifts: Promise of Power and do you see any other phone with that game no you do not

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Kerbtree posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTYKht735R0

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Yeah, sure, but upgrading to the QD meant losing mp3 playback. Not worth it :colbert:

...I still bought it.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

i don't have my Pixel on me at the moment, but can't you zoom the Smart Lock map in/out and increase/decrease the selection area? I swore that did a thing, but I could be (likely am) wrong.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

sleepwalkers posted:

i don't have my Pixel on me at the moment, but can't you zoom the Smart Lock map in/out and increase/decrease the selection area? I swore that did a thing, but I could be (likely am) wrong.

Not on mine, you can just move x-marks-the-spot around. Then there is a circle showing your current position with its diameter being the current position accuracy. The reason why WiFi works so much better is that inside/outside the apartment is very difficult to ascertain with GPS on a 2D map, but pretty simple with a WiFi router, as I lose coverage a flight or two of stairs down. I suppose I could buy some ultra cheap bluetooth thing which does nothing and use it as an unlock beacon.

e: which of course means buying a physical object for every location I want to be a secure, which sucks balls

Ola fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 6, 2017

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ola posted:

Not on mine, you can just move x-marks-the-spot around. Then there is a circle showing your current position with its diameter being the current position accuracy. The reason why WiFi works so much better is that inside/outside the apartment is very difficult to ascertain with GPS on a 2D map, but pretty simple with a WiFi router, as I lose coverage a flight or two of stairs down. I suppose I could buy some ultra cheap bluetooth thing which does nothing and use it as an unlock beacon.

e: which of course means buying a physical object for every location I want to be a secure, which sucks balls

Or buy a fitbit or watch or a phone with a fingerprint sensor....

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Yeah I did the smart lock thing with my Nexus 6 and it worked sometimes. The fingerprint sensor on the Pixel completely obviates the need for it.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Ola posted:

Buy a Xiaomi mi band 2 for twenty bucks or a mi band for fifteen and keep your phone unlocked + see how lazy and unhealthy you are

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

RZA Encryption posted:

Yeah I did the smart lock thing with my Nexus 6 and it worked sometimes. The fingerprint sensor on the Pixel completely obviates the need for it.

I was totally "lol fingerprint scanners" before I had my 6P, and now if I had to go without one on my phone I'd literally die. LITERALLY.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

But you see then he'd have to SWIPE UP TO UNLOCK THE PHONE and

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Just an FYI for anyone with a S7 on Verizon, they've started rolling out Nougat today. (196 days after Nougat was available to the public. :cripes: )

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

LastInLine posted:

But you see then he'd have to SWIPE UP TO UNLOCK THE PHONE and

Mock all you want, I'm a random person who found this phone 149 meters from Ola's home!

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I dunno guys, I got a phone with a touchscreen and now I can use any finger to unlock my phone if I need to.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I set face unlock up to unlock when I flip my phone the bird so that's like fingerprint unlock.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

LastInLine posted:

Or buy a fitbit or watch or a phone with a fingerprint sensor....

Blue Train posted:

Buy a Xiaomi mi band 2 for twenty bucks or a mi band for fifteen and keep your phone unlocked + see how lazy and unhealthy you are

Is the implication here to buy a Fitbit/watch/band and keep it at home, so your phone automatically collect connects and unlocks?

I just don't really understand why people keep posting this otherwise, because the entire problem people are having is that we'd like our phones to unlock automatically when at home, not all the time. Buying a band or watch that keeps my phone unlocked all the time so long as it's near me is a complete non-solution, if that's what I wanted I'd just remove the pin/pattern altogether or use on-body detection.

Telling people how great fingerprint scanners are isn't actually helping either, if I owned one of the like three phones that have one we wouldn't need to have this conversation in the first place because I'd just use that instead.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

NFC tag at home that changes the pin policy?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Wrist Watch posted:

Is the implication here to buy a Fitbit/watch/band and keep it at home, so your phone automatically collect connects and unlocks?

I just don't really understand why people keep posting this otherwise, because the entire problem people are having is that we'd like our phones to unlock automatically when at home, not all the time. Buying a band or watch that keeps my phone unlocked all the time so long as it's near me is a complete non-solution, if that's what I wanted I'd just remove the pin/pattern altogether or use on-body detection.

Telling people how great fingerprint scanners are isn't actually helping either, if I owned one of the like three phones that have one we wouldn't need to have this conversation in the first place because I'd just use that instead.

Yeah, you're right, once you ask a question all conversation should be aimed at what you want to know until your question is answered...

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
After about a week of back and forth with Google support I still couldn't get Secure Location to work reliably. Even though I have a Pixel, so I've got the fingerprint sensor, it'd be nice to be able to quickly unlock my phone at home if it's sitting on my desk.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Gonna unironically defend CyanogenMod here and say their system profiles own and should be a default android thing. Anyway if you're willing to root (and maybe without root but I doubt it) you could use something like trigger or llama or automate to change your security settings when it connects to your wifi

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I was having issues with location smart lock on my PixelXL but a recent reboot seems to have sorted it and, unlike before, it has stayed sorted for several days now.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

G-Spot Run posted:

I was having issues with location smart lock on my PixelXL but a recent reboot seems to have sorted it and, unlike before, it has stayed sorted for several days now.

Echoing myself, but Trusted Places occasionally stops working and a reboot always seems to fix it. It doesn't happen often, so I'm not losing sleep over it. (Oddly, it seems to consistently stop working when I'm over at one friend's in particular)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm curious to see if today's update solves my Bluetooth issues. Unfortunately, the car I have the majority of trouble with is garaged until the weather straightens out for good. I still had hiccups with the other car though, so we'll see how it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

bull3964 posted:

I'm curious to see if today's update solves my Bluetooth issues. Unfortunately, the car I have the majority of trouble with is garaged until the weather straightens out for good. I still had hiccups with the other car though, so we'll see how it goes.

Is there a changelog for the update other than security fixes?