Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Ah yes, Myst 4. The classic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i just wanna say that i really like modern jrpgs and star ocean is goddamn trash and i dunno how it even managed to get a fifth game

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

The Colonel posted:

i just wanna say that i really like modern jrpgs and star ocean is goddamn trash and i dunno how it even managed to get a fifth game

I tried playing a star ocean game for like 20 minutes and dropped out to play Tales of Symphonia again instead

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Colonel posted:

Squeenix should have just given the Lightning license to Tri Ace so they could more LR games

Serf
May 5, 2011

I liked Star Ocean 2 and 3, but the latter was definitely not as good as 2. I heard 4 and 5 were lovely so I never played them.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

We wouldn't need knock-off Valkyrie Profile if we could just get an actual Valkyrie Profile again.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Serf posted:

I liked Star Ocean 2 and 3, but the latter was definitely not as good as 2. I heard 4 and 5 were lovely so I never played them.

star ocean 5 is apparently just a bland old nothing of a game that doesn't even really have enough substance to hate it

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The Colonel posted:

star ocean 5 is apparently just a bland old nothing of a game that doesn't even really have enough substance to hate it

Yeah it could have been actually decent if it had a budget but there's at least one scene where they describe "oh god, this space battle, it's so amazing you guys, look at this space battle that I'm talking about" because they couldn't actually afford to show a space battle.

Also the bizarre lack of directed cutscenes, I don't think I saw one until a few hours in, and immediately realized it was a bad idea for them to do so because it zoomed in on the heroine's blob of a face.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

corn in the bible posted:

Ah yes, Myst 4. The classic.

It's the second best Myst game.

Serf
May 5, 2011

The Colonel posted:

From what I've seen in 4, they must have really had to work to top the blandness of that game.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Serf posted:

From what I've seen in 4, they must have really had to work to top the blandness of that game.

don't worry, they didn't work at all, that's how they topped it

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

fridge corn posted:

aloy can't be anime cuz she's not hypersexualised

That's not really anime. HZD would be super anime if the protagonist wasn't sexualized and had a same-sex attraction she expressed through handholding and blushes

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Phantasium posted:

We wouldn't need knock-off Valkyrie Profile if we could just get an actual Valkyrie Profile again.

They tried this kinda with exist archive but that kinda blew so I'd rather just have more Lightning games.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Pretty funny listening to reviewers tie themselves in knots trying to explain nier without spoiling it

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Guy Goodbody posted:

That's not really anime. HZD would be super anime if the protagonist wasn't sexualized and had a same-sex attraction she expressed through handholding and blushes

🤔

i guess i really don't know that much about anime

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlHZrBUimuY

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
How tsundere is Aloy

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

infinite undiscovery was actually an okay game despite The Dance and voice acting and well there's a lot of knocks against it also the spider cave was BULLSHIT

it was very much a dark era for jrpgs at the time

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Sunning posted:

The game's review embargo for most websites and publications will end in a few minutes. For comparison, the first game had a 67-68 on metacritic.

Let's see how they like fishing in this one.

Speaking of which, what's with Japan and fishing minigames

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

They're fun.

Well, they can be anyway.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

It's an island nation :shrug:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sunning posted:

If you liked RTS games with 'War' in the title, then these three games were released within one week of each other:

And on September 20th, Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne patch 1.17 added two new Neutral Heroes, the Firelord and the Goblin Alchemist.

Dawn of War 1's release date is closer to the release date of Dune 2 than it is to today.

Kohan 2 loving owns

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Don't mess with the kohan

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Kohan is the only one of those games I haven't played, I guess I should check it out!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Don't mess with the kohan

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

tri-ace, creators of valkyrie profile, star ocean, the dinner dance and nolan north dancing non-stop in the inner recesses of his mind while thinking about boobs

Quest For Glory II posted:

infinite undiscovery was actually an okay game despite The Dance and voice acting and well there's a lot of knocks against it also the spider cave was BULLSHIT

it was very much a dark era for jrpgs at the time

it's less that jrpgs were in a bad place at the time and more that the xbox 360 had loving nothing cause nobody in japan really cared about it, so all you really had, especially in 2008, was either tales of vesperia or lost oddyssey

though i guess the ps3 wasn't exactly booming with them at the time either...

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 6, 2017

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

A lot of good JRPGs were on DS or PSP that gen.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

for instance sonic brotherhood

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Motto posted:

A lot of good JRPGs were on DS or PSP that gen.

yeah, i think a few were on ps2 but that might've just been persona 4

the net positive of jrpgs on xbox 360 was blue dragon's soundtrack https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWtpAzbEnc8

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Infinite Space is so loving good.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

The Colonel posted:

tri-ace, creators of valkyrie profile, star ocean, the dinner dance and nolan north dancing non-stop in the inner recesses of his mind while thinking about boobs

it's less that jrpgs were in a bad place at the time and more that the xbox 360 had loving nothing cause nobody in japan really cared about it, so all you really had, especially in 2008, was either tales of vesperia or lost oddyssey

Don't forget OPERATION DARKNESS

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Colonel posted:

I wish they'd have ported Lost Odyssey to PC or something. It was my favorite game I had for my 360 and was surprisingly good, but my 360 red ringed years ago and I never bothered to get a new one.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

Kohan 2 loving owns

I loved the first kohan and didnt even know there was a second one!

I might have to look that up

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

The Colonel posted:

There was that RPG that was supposed to be Chopin's dying syphilis hallucination or something too. Eternal Sonata?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
One of the most refreshing things about Horizon is that Aloy's gender barely matters, both in universe and in a meta sense.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

precision posted:

One of the most refreshing things about Horizon is that Aloy's gender barely matters, both in universe and in a meta sense.

And that's all the more reason why they should let you choose genders goddamnit!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

tap my mountain posted:

And that's all the more reason why they should let you choose genders goddamnit!

10 dollar DLC to play as Alan

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Aloy's voice acting is so good though.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I haven't beaten the game yet but I'm not sure the story would work with a male protagonist, the beats directly relating to the player character seem to be mostly about mothers and matriarchy.

vvvvvv I blame that more on the choice being obscured. You can go into the weeds and pick your gender, eye color, facial tattoos, etc or you can mash the big PLAY NOW button and get stock manshep. If the game insisted you make the choice and wouldn't proceed until you were explicit, the numbers would probably be more balanced.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

tap my mountain posted:

I don't remember the exact statistic but I think it's only like 10% of people pick femshep in mass effect which is kind of a shame because jennifer hale is very good

• Locked thread