Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I don't like movies about singing or dancing. Which seems odd as that means it's a pool large enough to draw a conclusion from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Das Boo posted:

I don't like movies about singing or dancing. Which seems odd as that means it's a pool large enough to draw a conclusion from.

Uhh what about Cats Don't Dance? You're telling me you didn't like that movie?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Applewhite posted:

Uhh what about Cats Don't Dance? You're telling me you didn't like that movie?

:(
*Kicks a rock*

I liked Darla...

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I like Cats Don't Dance, but am willing to concede that it's exactly as mediocre as Zootopia. Liking something is not the same thing as appraising its quality, after all.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Hedrigall posted:

Haha cool joke post! Keep up the excellent deadpan humour :)

Fan of Zootopia, movie about open-mindedness, finds it ridiculous that someone likes a movie not approved by the orthodoxy.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
True, also Sing is bad

Anyway, talking of bad things, I scored this favourite from my youth on bluray today:

(the music is really by far the best part of the show)

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

K. Waste posted:

I like Cats Don't Dance, but am willing to concede that it's exactly as mediocre as Zootopia. Liking something is not the same thing as appraising its quality, after all.

So... not mediocre at all but actually excellent? I can get on board with that, though personally I think CDD is a little better than Zootopia.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Das Boo posted:

Frankly, human beings who don't enjoy singing or dancing are rather suspect. You might be part of the lizard people, I'm sorry to say.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Applewhite posted:

So... not mediocre at all but actually excellent? I can get on board with that, though personally I think CDD is a little better than Zootopia.

I prefer the more clean setting and deeper plotting of Zootopia over the simplified structure of CDD.

Though I do like musical numbers.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Frankly, human beings who don't enjoy singing or dancing are rather suspect. You might be part of the lizard people, I'm sorry to say.

Not one of the good lizard people, either. :colbert:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
don't kink shame scaleys guys

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

LeJackal posted:

Not one of the good lizard people, either. :colbert:

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
Dreamworks has apparently canceled the Australian musical about the bilby.

Which leaves their future slate even drier than before.

Imagine hinging an entire year of your movie studio on The Boss Baby and Captain Underpants, with the former being much more important than the latter because the latter was outsourced to another studio.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Applewhite posted:

CDD has musical numbers and also looks better in hindsight because it was dealing with intersectional politics 'before it was cool.' The montage at the end of modern movie posters parodies while Darla has been 'punished' by being a bill-poster is still more explicitly gross than the feigned sarcasm at the end of Zootopia ("It was a classic doing the wrong thing for the right reason kind of a deal").

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

How well do you think Boss Baby will do? Do kids like films about babies?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Boss Baby seems like it's a decent concept for a silly short film or TV series, but they had to make a movie about it so they tacked on the whole puppy plot to make it 2 hours.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Fangz posted:

I find the whole concept rather unappealing, so naturally it's gonna do gangbusters.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
So. What is CDD?

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Renoistic posted:

So. What is CDD?

Cat's Don't Dance

Unless I'm completely off the mark.

Its a pretty cool movie. Great musical bits

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

A late-90s animated film about a cat that wants to make it big in Hollywood.

I haven't seen it, though I'd like to at some point. Unfortunately, Netflix doesn't have it. I could just rent it through Google or something, but :effort:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Fangz posted:

I don't know about kids, but almost every young adult I know is ecstatic about the film. It'll do fine.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Why!?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's a film about a whiny baby who thinks he is a businessman who is looking to blame effectively harmless things in order to find an excuse for why nobody likes him. Why do you think it's going to do well in Trump's America?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

It's aspirational

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

I recall you recommending this show in this thread, but it 1) looks terrible and 2) is apparently also paedo.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
https://twitter.com/VincentWaller72/status/838072850602835968

Someone is footing the bill for this.… :laugh:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Hence why I italicized about, doooofuuuus!
Really, I love a well-done musical but I need something a little deeper than that to carry my interest. "I must sing and dance, and it is very important that everyone acknowledge that I do this!" doesn't fit the bill. It always feels shallow and self-serving. Hell, it ties into good musical form that each number should advance a plot, so if the plot's just looking at someone sing and dance then it doesn't engage my emotions.
If Chicago weren't about Roxie trying to get away with murder and just "wanting to be a STAH!", I'd recognize her as an attention tick and move on.

And then you get Cell Block Tango. :allears:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

K. Waste posted:

CDD has musical numbers and also looks better in hindsight because it was dealing with intersectional politics 'before it was cool.' The montage at the end of modern movie posters parodies while Darla has been 'punished' by being a bill-poster is still more explicitly gross than the feigned sarcasm at the end of Zootopia ("It was a classic doing the wrong thing for the right reason kind of a deal").

Darla Dimple deserved death.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Correction: Darla Dimple is a distraction from the sick culture that made her an idol. She is also an exploited child.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Magic Hate Ball posted:

As do all humans.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

It's a baby that dresses like an adult! Alec Baldwin is saying "goo goo gah gah"!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

LeJackal posted:

As do all humans.

:yeah:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

K. Waste posted:

Correction: Darla Dimple is a distraction from the sick culture that made her an idol. She is also an exploited child.

Maybe in real life that's what she would have been but in the movie it was pretty clear she was in control.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Applewhite posted:

Maybe in real life that's what she would have been but in the movie it was pretty clear she was in control.

She was not in control, which is why the moment her conspiracy to destroy studio property for the sake of sabotaging minority talent was discovered, she was blacklisted from the industry and now posts bills. The people who were always in control were L.B. Mammoth and the fickle Hollywood establishment.

The entire climactic musical sequence is devoted to illustrating just how not in control Darla is.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

1) looks terrible and 2) is apparently also paedo.

This warning would have been more useful to me two weeks ago.

I'm ashamed to admit to watching any of that show but if it saves one other person from making the same mistake I did then I will confirm that it is very pedo.

I was lured into watching by the promise of big booby dragon girls dressed as maids, but in episode two they introduce a dragon who takes the form of a grade schooler and things go downhill from there. I punched out partway through episode three and haven't looked back. There aren't enough dragon boobies in the world to make watching that filth worthwhile.

It's a bad show. Do not watch.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Can I keep watching the gif though?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Applewhite posted:

This warning would have been more useful to me two weeks ago.

I'm ashamed to admit to watching any of that show but if it saves one other person from making the same mistake I did then I will confirm that it is very pedo.

I was lured into watching by the promise of big booby dragon girls dressed as maids, but in episode two they introduce a dragon who takes the form of a grade schooler and things go downhill from there. I punched out partway through episode three and haven't looked back. There aren't enough dragon boobies in the world to make watching that filth worthwhile.

It's a bad show. Do not watch.

There are plenty of mature, legal age dragon boobies online, let me share the following URLs with you

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

K. Waste posted:

She was not in control, which is why the moment her conspiracy to destroy studio property for the sake of sabotaging minority talent was discovered, she was blacklisted from the industry and now posts bills. The people who were always in control were L.B. Mammoth and the fickle Hollywood establishment.

The entire climactic musical sequence is devoted to illustrating just how not in control Darla is.

Dude. You're getting way into the weeds with this. Darla was a spoiled, selfish brat who used her fame and fortune to abuse people. She was the villain of the movie and her comeuppance was just.

Yes in real life there's a whole lot of social and moral issues that come into play around child stars and the totally hosed-up childhoods they have as a result of celebrity culture, but in the cartoon Darla bossed everyone around, menaced them with her bodyguard and ruined people's careers for minor inconveniences.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Can I keep watching the gif though?

Just as long as you remember the gif is a heinous lie.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Hedrigall posted:

There are plenty of mature, legal age dragon boobies online, let me share the following URLs with you

Nah man, I'll just draw my own.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

I am not sure how that last character on the right relates to her dragon design at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Hedrigall posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqipZjeUCVs

Exibit A