Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I mean, most fiscally and mentally healthy people don't think "I want to shoot people, just for funsies." And the ones that do typically join the army. When theft is prominent you provide security measures and help the poorest citizens, you dont ban lockpicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Concerned Citizen posted:

There are no jobs, in part because gun violence drives out businesses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOrY199QiB8

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
It really says something that the loudest proponents for gun-bans have really specific murder fantasies that they project on people who they disagree with.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
yikes

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

I am however in favor of banning gun control discussions

gun control discussions kill up to 10 threads a month, for only ten cents a day you can be a part of the movement to end gun control discussion violence

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
buy a gun

it is your constitutional right

don’t let trump make a victim of ya

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
u can always ban guns after you solve most gun violence by feeding, educating, and employing your constituents.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2017/03/06/vote-flub-cost-tom-perez-a-first-ballot-victory-in-dnc-chairman-race/

this article apparently has chair election votes by member, but it's behind paywall. argh

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

anime was right posted:

u can always ban guns after you solve most gun violence by feeding, educating, and employing your constituents.

What if you'd rather support policies that ensure you have a permanently exploitable underclass of voters instead?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Gun control isn't going to really work because most of these guns used in homicide are already obtained illegally. The only thing that may cause significant change is flatout banning all guns which is something I'm not sure I'd be for. And with 3D printed guns becoming a thing...oh boy.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

buy a gun

it is your constitutional right

don’t let trump make a victim of ya

So this. Workers have always been able to advance their interests when they can defend themselves. Not when they listen to liberals who tell them to stop bitterly clinging.

Crowsbeak has issued a correction as of 20:15 on Mar 6, 2017

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Boner Zone posted:

lol there have never been jobs, not for the people in the neighborhoods most affected by gun violence today, at least not in my deep south city, and that's by design.

I suppose it's anecdotal, but here you'll still have pockets of impoverished neighborhoods with high gun violence right in the middle of the white hipster bar and restaurant district. These black neighborhoods have been hosed from the start, from before inner city gun violence was even a thing, it's systemic racism and the resulting economic realities that allows an extremely well off white area full of mansions to literally encapsulate a black neighborhood where people see carrying a gun as necessary just to exist.

Dems will stage a sit-in for some half-baked gun control idea but not for raising the minimum wage or ending drug policy that disproportionately affects minorities and that's some fuckin retarded priorities and has to change.

yes, there are a lot of reasons why neighborhoods most affected by gun violence don't have jobs. hence why i said "in part" - it's a significant factor that helps keep impoverished areas impoverished. there's no shortage of boarded up businesses in high crime areas where the owner said "gently caress this" and packed up after someone got killed nearby. gun control is an important factor for improving livability in neighborhoods wracked by gun violence. it's not the only factor, but it's hard to improve any of the other factors while it's there.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
oh here it is:

dnc member chair vote, first round:http://www.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/DNCballot2017firstround.pdf

dnc member chair vote, second round: http://www.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/DNCballot2017secondround.pdf

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Someone parse this into "people I should know and why they suck"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

zegermans posted:

none of them, and they voted for Perez

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
nan whaley is the only person that voted for buttigieg

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I'm Whaley nan

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
nan whaley voted for buttigieg even after he dropped out. hero.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
buttigieg belongs to Big Nan

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

buttigieg belongs to Big Nan

wrong

buttigieg belongs to us all

big nan just knows which way the wind is blowing

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
also per wsj perez would have won on the first ballot, except two of his votes failed to sign their ballots and they were invalidated

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
big nan as in the quality flatbreads you can find at fine indian dining establishments?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

big nan as in the quality flatbreads you can find at fine indian dining establishments?

Crowding out fine American jobs like at Wonder bread

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
not a number

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

also per wsj perez would have won on the first ballot, except two of his votes failed to sign their ballots and they were invalidated

To be fair it's hard to keep up with the rules when they keep changing to keep dreaded progress at bay

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Baloogan posted:

not a number

that's numberwang

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
lol of course garcetti voted for Perez

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

zegermans posted:

I know a few people on this list. Only one surprises me (he supported Ellison!) You should really know at least a chunk of the ones from your state since they include quite a lot of politically well connected people.

I might have a chance to talk with one of them soon and ruin my political prospects by asking her exactly what she was thinking.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
Lol like all of the MA delegation voted Perez. Good thing they're getting disempowered later this month by angry liberals.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

GlyphGryph posted:

I know a few people on this list. Only one surprises me (he supported Ellison!) You should really know at least a chunk of the ones from your state since they include quite a lot of politically well connected people.

i only recognized a couple names from my state, one being the former insurance commissioner

the other's some vice chair of whateverthefuck for the state party

e: only two of the nc delegation voted perez. i'm pleasantly surprised

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lol of course garcetti voted for Perez

Garcetti is good, actually

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

paranoid randroid posted:

Garcetti is good, actually

Everything I've read about him indicates otherwise, but I'm open to being convinced.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Byron Brown voted for Perez. What a surprise, he refused to make any real statement on the EO even though refugees are a huge part of the economy in Buffalo and a goddamn Somali came here and went back to become PRESIDENT OF HIS COUNTRY

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

Everything I've read about him indicates otherwise, but I'm open to being convinced.

hes been perfectly adequate in most regards and the city has begun taking a lot of steps under his watch to limit ICE's ability to pinch people off the street by expanding availability of legal counsel for immigration law, as well as taking street vendors out of gray market status

he also brought Made in America to LA a couple years back, which was good and cool of him to do

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
most of the negative pieces i can find on him at the moment are from Measure S dipshits, which is a good sign

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Arri posted:

They should also stop eschewing guns, as actual leftists do not support disarming the populace against a government that holds a monopoly on violence.

yeah, if doctors were allowed to ask parents whether they have guns properly and safely stored, how would families fight off the crooked government agents the way LaVoy Finicium did? frankly, you're nuts if you think a gun is going to protect you from the police, the FBI, or whatever sinister government agency you think is out to get you

banning literally all guns would be a terrible idea. it's also a bad strawman. "gun control" is not the same as "completely banning firearms" and I'm tired of seeing that trotted out against any and all attempts to regulate firearms in any way at all, even as GOP legislatures happily pass laws blocking businesses and private citizens from excluding firearms from their property or even saying that guns are unsafe

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
bear in mind theres kind of a low floor for what it takes to be a "good mayor" of Los Angeles

Boner Zone
Jan 14, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo

yes, there are a lot of reasons why neighborhoods most affected by gun violence don't have jobs. hence why i said "in part" - it's a significant factor that helps keep impoverished areas impoverished. there's no shortage of boarded up businesses in high crime areas where the owner said "gently caress this" and packed up after someone got killed nearby. gun control is an important factor for improving livability in neighborhoods wracked by gun violence. it's not the only factor, but it's hard to improve any of the other factors while it's there.

Gun violence isn't precluding dems from fighting for single payer, a minimum wage increase, or an end to the war on drugs. All of these would dramatically improve livability in these neighborhoods but I guess we have to win the gun control war first?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2017/03/losing-west-virginia/

quote:

Less discussed is the decline of the West Virginia Democratic Party, particularly its collapse in the last two years. The Democratic Party controlled both houses of the West Virginia legislature for eighty-two years from 1932 to 2014. But in the space of two years the party has become a shadow of its former self: the Democrats went from holding 71 percent of the seats in the House of Delegates in 2008 to 54 percent in 2012 to 36 percent in 2014 (and maintained 37 percent in 2016). Democratic representation in the state senate fell from 71 percent in 2012 to 47 percent in 2014 to 35 percent in 2016.

So while the focus on West Virginia over the past year was largely superficial, the attention wasn’t entirely unwarranted. Few states illustrate the contradictions and failures of the Democratic Party’s economic policy — and the challenges ahead in rebuilding the Left — better than West Virginia.

quote:

The WV Democratic Party’s accelerating representation of coal industry interests in the wake of weakening union power left it ill-prepared to deal with the recent structural decline of the state’s coal industry. The party had no real answer to offer thousands of laid-off coal miners or the towns and counties whose budgets were slashed by the decline in coal severance tax revenues.

When confronted by the Republican Party’s decision to opportunistically blame the decline of the coal industry on Obama’s “war on coal” and the “job-killing EPA,” the West Virginia Democratic Party could not articulate any alternative vision. Instead, many Democratic politicians chose to run even further to the right, joining in with the bashing of the Environmental Protection Agency and distancing themselves from Obama.

Democrats killed themselves.

GlyphGryph has issued a correction as of 22:20 on Mar 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Main Paineframe posted:

yeah, if doctors were allowed to ask parents whether they have guns properly and safely stored, how would families fight off the crooked government agents the way LaVoy Finicium did? frankly, you're nuts if you think a gun is going to protect you from the police, the FBI, or whatever sinister government agency you think is out to get you

banning literally all guns would be a terrible idea. it's also a bad strawman. "gun control" is not the same as "completely banning firearms" and I'm tired of seeing that trotted out against any and all attempts to regulate firearms in any way at all, even as GOP legislatures happily pass laws blocking businesses and private citizens from excluding firearms from their property or even saying that guns are unsafe

Retail Business shouldn't be allowed to ban anything legal from their establishment, so no, Starbucks doesn't get to overrule federal law.

• Locked thread