Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
i just tanked the goop damage lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

doughvakiin posted:

i just tanked the goop damage lol.

so you take after your mum then

fiber
Nov 18, 2012
I can't believe how good this is. Just got to the zora's domain after sprinting through a gauntlet of electric arrows, can't wait to keep playing. I've barely done any side stuff because I was so curious about how a proper dungeon would go but after I do this first beast or whatever I'm gonna slow down.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I'm just making a list of things I want to do in BotW while I sit through this boring rear end class. My goal for today is to find all of the photo memory spots.

Can't wait to get home...

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Re the marble maze

It took me like 20 tries to get the ball in, even with extremely twisting the switch so the ball starts in the landing strip, and then Austin walker reveals that you can turn the entire thing all the way upside down to the flat side :gonk:

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

HolePisser1982 posted:

is there a way to make Link sit down that isnt building a campfire? I'm discovering these majestic vistas and just want him to chill out for a second while I look around & take screenshots

update: ahh, crouching!

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

sector_corrector posted:

i was thinking as i was playing yesterday, that it's cool how the game is like a fantasy version of a post apocalyptic setting

yeah its like a real development of what they were hinting at in the 2nd part of OoT. all the random ruins and poo poo are so cool

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I saw a spot on my map called Koholint Rock on an island, and I took a raft there and it turned into a shrine challenge where I lost all of my items and was stranded. I ended up dying though but i'll definitely go back when I have more hearts.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

mabels big day posted:

I saw a spot on my map called Koholint Rock on an island, and I took a raft there and it turned into a shrine challenge where I lost all of my items and was stranded. I ended up dying though but i'll definitely go back when I have more hearts.

frick

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I sat at Five Flames for a couple of minutes before deciding gently caress it and just set everything on fire with arrows to solve the puzzle

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

you're short. your hair is the wrong color. and i can't even see your abs.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zas posted:

yeah its like a real development of what they were hinting at in the 2nd part of OoT. all the random ruins and poo poo are so cool

it's got the exact same set-up as fallout 4:

you are a survivor of an advanced civilization who has been preserved by advanced technology, returned to a post-apocalytpic setting to explore the ruins and scavenge ancient technology, in order to come to terms with your past and make yourself more powerful, so that you can restore balance to the world and fight off a great evil. except this game is good.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

The Milkman posted:

Re the marble maze

It took me like 20 tries to get the ball in, even with extremely twisting the switch so the ball starts in the landing strip, and then Austin walker reveals that you can turn the entire thing all the way upside down to the flat side :gonk:

I flipped it over, jumped on top then used stasis to launch the ball over

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Evil Eagle posted:

:vince:

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Evil Eagle posted:

I love this game so much

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

what honestly blows me away the most is that absolutely everything I've tried and done has felt like the right way to do it, nothing's felt cheesy or like I'm skipping the way the game wants me to play

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

what honestly blows me away the most is that absolutely everything I've tried and done has felt like the right way to do it, nothing's felt cheesy or like I'm skipping the way the game wants me to play

yeah. like there are some points where there's an obvious path through an area to the destination, which has a bunch of semi-scripted encounters. but then you are like "i bet i could climb that mountain and paraglide to skip this stuff," and you do that, and there's like a hidden ruin with a treasure chest on the higher pathway, or a forest sprite to find. and since the progression isn't based on EXP or grinding, it's not like you're gimping your character by not getting into every fight possible (although you might be missing out on decent weapons / ammo / gems). i'd like to see a post-mortem on the game that explains their design process for those areas, because everything feels immaculately layered.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
https://streamable.com/vm3ju

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

that's Breath of the Wild alright.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Evil Eagle posted:

that's how i did the water/ice plinko shrine

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

There is a really cool chest in the Gerudo dungeon hanging off a rope over a drop, I used the magnet to start the chest swinging then shot the rope when the chest was swinging towards my platfform.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

thanks for showing this completely uneventful emulation vid stupid retard that keeps posting here

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

At the slanted ball-maze that's not gamepad controlled In the Zora village, I wound up stasis-smacking the thing so hard it sailed over the entire course before apparently banking off a wall or fence somehow and in. I couldn't see it so I really have no clue how it got in there I love this game so much.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

sector_corrector posted:

i'd like to see a post-mortem on the game that explains their design process for those areas, because everything feels immaculately layered.

yeah i'm constantly thinking 'how did they do that?? that shouldnt be possible' with this game

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

There is a really cool chest in the Gerudo dungeon hanging off a rope over a drop, I used the magnet to start the chest swinging then shot the rope when the chest was swinging towards my platfform.

https://clips-media-assets.twitch.tv/24703551200-offset-14228.333000000075-17-854x480.mp4

dragon enthusiast fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 7, 2017

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i constantly wish that the wii-u had the PS4's capture abilities, because i've done and seen so much cool poo poo. oh well. off to hyrule for a few hours before i have to get back to work.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAADAAB2V0f8fjpqJA

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

It sucks that I haven't used Miiverse more often. It's seriously epic

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

sector_corrector posted:

i constantly wish that the wii-u had the PS4's capture abilities, because i've done and seen so much cool poo poo. oh well. off to hyrule for a few hours before i have to get back to work.

how in 2017 does it not have built in share functions

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

how in 2017 does it not have built in share functions

the wii u has miiverse, the switch has a share button that takes screenshots and they claim eventually video

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

I thought it was kind of annoying that rain made climbing basically impossible but if you climb while under a surface, like a tree, it will be dry and easy to climb.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Boy I wish a Switch weren't so difficult to find in my neck of the woods.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

lmfao the music

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

It's really cool that there aren't huge empty filler areas at all, so this game takes 10-15 seconds to load. I wonder how much of my life has been spent waiting for GTAV to load the giant empty ocean that I'll never swim in, and all the empty mountain and forest areas I'll never visit.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
I like that I can climb every mountain

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
11 hours in and I don't feel like I've scratched the surface of this game even in terms of the main story

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
I mean I'm not using fast travel and I'm dicking around a lot but I'm having a lot of fun doing that

White Genocide
Feb 22, 2010

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I thought it was kind of annoying that rain made climbing basically impossible but if you climb while under a surface, like a tree, it will be dry and easy to climb.

you slide less than your jump-climb can ascend so when you get morw stamina climbing mountains can still be possible

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i did a major dungeon that definitely felt like it was tailored to the player being kind of new and not well equipped, the second one im doing has all been me sprinting through poo poo that can one-shot me and getting away. i feel like i missed a lot and i love it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
spoiler about an early game mechanic: just hit my first memory and it was really well done. the way i found it was loving awesome too. i had found the great fairy pretty early on through exploring. i just happened to talk to a guy who wanted to know where she was, so i went and took a picture of her shrine for him. he gave me a hint as to where one of my picture locations was, that i had to puzzle out. after going through this awesome loving area based on nothing but intuition, i found it, and unlocked the memory. i was thinking afterward how any other game would've done that with a quest arrow, and i realized just how completely, insanely awesome this game is.

• Locked thread