Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
OKC's 3pt line tonight :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
The Pels ran the triangle for their first seven possessions against the Spurs.

quote:

[...]

Gasp. The Triangle? Yes, the very system that has seemingly become a meme and a constant source jokes regarding the Knicks (lol Knicks). We’ve all heard the criticisms – the triangle is arcane, difficult to learn, only successful with superstars the likes of Jordan and Kobe yadda yadda yadda. The Knicks haven’t done much either to instill confidence in the resurgence of the triangle either. Gone is Derek Fisher from the Big Apple, replaced by Jeff Hornacek. The Knicks have improved from 26th in offensive rating to 16th under Hornacek, yet in a time where the Rockets are hoisting up almost 50 threes per game, the copy-cat league is gravitating towards the pace and space motion systems that seem to be what all the cool kids are doing. The Triangle is looked at as a phase that you thought was cool in high school (pastel polos for me) but really you’d rather forget you ever partook in it.

On the surface, everything about the triangle is contrary to the direction the league is heading in now with the under reliance of a point guard and methodical half court play. Yet with two dominant bigs, the Pelicans themselves are running contrary to the small ball trend that has set the league on fire. But to understand how the Triangle might have merit for the Pelicans, first we have to understand some basic principles. Tex Winter, Phil Jackson’s brilliant sidekick, details 7 important tenets. We will focus on only a few.

[...]

The Lakers had lasting success with it, using variations that included Odom, Gasol, Bynum and Kobe. The Pelicans don’t have anything close to a Kobe on the team, but Holiday is more of a scoring guard than a pure facilitator. E’twuan Moore easily slides into the Derek Fisher role. Solomon Hill, if you take a couple shots of bourbon, can be Trevor Ariza. In any case, what we saw above was an extremely basic portion of the Triangle with limited weakside action. With upgraded wings this summer and a full training camp, Gentry should look to incorporate more aspects of the Triangle. In the meantime, we’ll have to settle for the little tidbits we see on a game to game basis. Who knows, maybe we’ll see a resurgence of the Triangle and the Pelicans will be on their way to 11 champ;ipnsikp[ ringhs.

Kibner fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Mar 6, 2017

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

leftist heap posted:

OKC's 3pt line tonight :barf:

From the article I just linked:

quote:

Moore, Holiday, Hill, Thompson, and Frazier all sport putrid true shooting percentages below 47%. The Pelicans are shooting 21.8% on open threes and 30.8% on WIDE open threes – both are league lows.

Those numbers are since the Boogie trade.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Lol a few bulls fans tried to stage a fire garpax protest at the united center

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Please tell me they bought tickets and paid the Reinsdorf's for their "protest"

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Zogo posted:

The actual greatest 3P game is held by Seattle in a playoff game against the Rockets in 1996. They went 20for27. Taking nearly 30 3P shots and shooting at nearly 75%.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baFTa74nZ28

holy poo poo the space they get to take them

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Shortest combined jump ball in NBA history?
https://streamable.com/qe7az

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

DeimosRising posted:

holy poo poo the space they get to take them

It wasn't even until the last five or so that they even bothered to defend the shot when closing out. Before that, they would run up just to contest a potential drive.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy
Westbrook is 3rd in Defensive Plus Minus?

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

Yeah it's crazy watching games from the early 90's where defenders would leave guys wide open on purpose, just daring them to shoot. And most of the time the ball handler would just look around nervously before dumping the ball back into the post.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
You know how sometimes, as fans, we lament our team always being the one someone got a season high scoring game against? Well, here's a chart for that kind of thing:

https://twitter.com/EdKupfer/status/838798562511114242

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

cravius posted:

Westbrook is 3rd in Defensive Plus Minus?

DBPM is just your total BPM minus Offensive BPM. He gets lots of defensive rebounds and the team itself is pretty good at defense, and his overall BPM is hight so it awards him a lot of points.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

EvanTH posted:

Shortest combined jump ball in NBA history?
https://streamable.com/qe7az

I love how much fun everyone is having in this clip. Jae Crowder looks like he's smiling so hard his lips will fall off.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Stealth Tiger posted:

Yeah it's crazy watching games from the early 90's where defenders would leave guys wide open on purpose, just daring them to shoot. And most of the time the ball handler would just look around nervously before dumping the ball back into the post.

That's because of illegal defense rules.

And it feels like role players were given alot less freedom to shoot back then.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Kibner posted:

You know how sometimes, as fans, we lament our team always being the one someone got a season high scoring game against? Well, here's a chart for that kind of thing:

https://twitter.com/EdKupfer/status/838798562511114242

I wonder how close this correlates to pace.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Denver, Brooklyn, LA, and Portland aren't surprises. Worst defense=bound to give highs.

Memphis confuses me. They're slow as hell, which is the opposite of the other top 10.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

DeimosRising posted:

Probably not very. Pels and Grizz being notable exceptions.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Tae posted:

Denver, Brooklyn, LA, and Portland aren't surprises. Worst defense=bound to give highs.

Memphis confuses me. They're slow as hell, which is the opposite of the other top 10.

Could be a philosophy thing. I.e. "let someone other than the stars beat us."

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

DeimosRising posted:

Obviously it's not scientific, but there are 5 teams in the top 10 of both statistics (Brooklyn, Phoenix, Golden State, Lakers, Denver)

It's probably reasonable to infer some correlation.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Is there a chart for career highs from rotation/bench/garbage players? Because it would be wrong if it didn't have the Raptors at the very top.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
kind of a basketball 101 question but I was watching a Clippers game recently and they mentioned how Jamal Crawford is 2nd all time in # of games scoring 20+ points off the bench. Why hasn't he left to go start for another team at some point?

Artic Puma
Jun 22, 2007

Chef Curry with the pot, boy!
It would be interesting if they had some sort of MPG filter on it. Some teams could be giving up season highs to stars while others are giving them up to guys who barely play.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
LeBron joined Richard Jefferson's podcast, but did not say that the Earth is flat or the holocaust is fake or jet fuel can't melt steel beams unfortunately. But he did say:

quote:

Real men cry,” James said on the most recent Road Trippin’ podcast hosted by teammates Richard Jefferson and Channing Frye and Cavs sideline reporter Allie Clifton.

James admitted he cried while watching The Lion King and The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air episode when Will’s father shows up to be part of his son’s life but ends up leaving.

“Every single time, I shed a tear,” James said of the Fresh Prince episode. “It could come from obviously me being part of a single-parent household and never seeing my father and things growing up when I was a kid, but it’s just an emotional part.”

I have never related more to LeBron James in my life. Same fam, same.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

SHOAH NUFF posted:

kind of a basketball 101 question but I was watching a Clippers game recently and they mentioned how Jamal Crawford is 2nd all time in # of games scoring 20+ points off the bench. Why hasn't he left to go start for another team at some point?

Because the clippers gave him a shitload of money

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
Media that makes me cry and I bet LeBron too:

Lion King - When Scar kills Mufasa
Fresh Prince "Why don't he want me?" scene
Remember the Titans
How I Met Your Mother when Marshall finds out his dad died
Field of Dreams
Basically any movie where something bad happens to a dog
Hard Ball when G-Baby gets killed

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Here's the Fresh Prince scene in question for Young Metapod and Ancient Mambold:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSKyaXkzVvc
RIP James Avery

Paul Zuvella posted:

I love how much fun everyone is having in this clip. Jae Crowder looks like he's smiling so hard his lips will fall off.

the original CSN broadcast was so excited by the fun that they missed the jump ball
https://streamable.com/5bp4m
Tyson Chandler is my favorite player

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

SHOAH NUFF posted:

He's started a lot of games, but he is at his best with the ball in his hands, but he's not a super star. He's also best when playing a point guard-type role, but god help you if he's your starting PG. So you have two choices, try to build a team around a guy who probably isn't a all-star, or bring him off the bench and let him be the focal point of the offense for a while/play secondary creator with starters for a while.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Crawford was an on and off starter for a long time back with the Knicks and Bulls and Warriors, he only became permanent sixth man around his 9th year after he was traded to the Hawks. It wasn't something he immediately knew was his thing. I think his absolute refusal to ever play defense probably helps too. He's a seriously flawed player but the behind the back dribble crossover is incredibly cool and he rules

Isn't he like the only dude in history to score 50+ with 3 or more teams?

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc
He also has the most 4 point plays ever, and it's not even remotely close.

e: 47, and JJ Redick is second! With 25!

double edit: Those numbers are from last February. He's got 49 now.

Gobias Ind. fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 6, 2017

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

EvanTH posted:

Here's the Fresh Prince scene in question for Young Metapod and Ancient Mambold:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSKyaXkzVvc
RIP James Avery

You know that scene was shot in only one take cause Uncle Phil almost blows the scene by messing up Will's hat.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
man even just thinking about that fresh prince scene gets me a little dusty-eyed

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Jota posted:

Media that makes me cry and I bet LeBron too:

Lion King - When Scar kills Mufasa
Fresh Prince "Why don't he want me?" scene
Remember the Titans
How I Met Your Mother when Marshall finds out his dad died
Field of Dreams
Basically any movie where something bad happens to a dog
Hard Ball when G-Baby gets killed

West Wing episode where Josh does the ASL signs of "M.S." to the deaf pollster.

(my dad has MS, shut up)

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Noctone posted:

man even just thinking about that fresh prince scene gets me a little dusty-eyed
And in that scene Will is basically ad-libbing because he was basically abandoned by his father in real life. He went to act it out like the script said and was momentarily overcome.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Crazy Ted posted:

And in that scene Will is basically ad-libbing because he was basically abandoned by his father in real life. He went to act it out like the script said and was momentarily overcome.

He wasn't abandoned by his dad IRL. His parents split, but his dad moved into a house down the street so he could maintain a presence in Will's life. Was a key supporter of his before and during his music and acting careers.

That scene was just great acting.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Guy's I'm starting to think that maybe Kawhi should be MVP.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Kibner posted:

He wasn't abandoned by his dad IRL. His parents split, but his dad moved into a house down the street so he could maintain a presence in Will's life. Was a key supporter of his before and during his music and acting careers.

That scene was just great acting.
Well I remembered that completely wrong then.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Didn't he go to overbrook

I used to live there. Nice area

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

euphronius posted:

Didn't he go to overbrook

I used to live there. Nice area
Same high school as Wilt?

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007