Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

ZeroCount posted:

that'd be great if only for the overpowered cards that will inevitably slip through because of an absurd MODO glitch

Broken interactions called out months in advance by modo testers, never fixed or tweaked bc one of the cards never worked on modo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Looking at these Invasion drafts, Prohibit would be a neat addition to Modern

Not sure how it ultimately shakes up against Leak

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Rinkles posted:

Looking at these Invasion drafts, Prohibit would be a neat addition to Modern

Not sure how it ultimately shakes up against Leak

It's cards like these that make me understand people who long for old frame/old art styles.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

ShaneB posted:

It's cards like these that make me understand people who long for old frame/old art styles.

If I could wave my wizard wand and make one change to MtG, it would be bringing back the old frames.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Shadow225 posted:

Conley Woods actually reminds me a lot of him. If you watch his stream it's 50% Magic 50% rewatching videos of him doing some very bad solo dancing and talking about life, mannnnn

And getting off the pro your and that crappy dancing helped him lose a ton of weight.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

sit on my Facebook posted:

If I could wave my wizard wand and make one change to MtG, it would be bringing back the old frames.

I'd go with the Planar Chaos shifted borders, personally. Best mix of the two

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Use Planeshifted frames for everything, IMO.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Star Man posted:

And getting off the pro your and that crappy dancing helped him lose a ton of weight.

sit on my Facebook posted:

You know what I don't miss about the old frames? White text with a thin drop shadow over non-black backgrounds. My favorite thing about the current frame is that I can read the collector's info on all cards.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Future shifted frames are the coolest but also probably the least functional

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

En Fuego posted:

I also think they need to push more people into helping them play cards, as well, in their FFL.

They didn't even think to playtest the cards for that mtgo standard flashback thing, cards that were already in the game, and cards that already had a known bug on the bug tracker that had been there for months. If they couldn't corral a couple people to spend like an hour a night for a week playtesting cards that were already in the game, and if they couldn't be bothered to fix a longstanding bug that happens to now break a historical standard deck, then I dunno if they can be bothered to test cards which may or may not exist in the future.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

gwrtheyrn posted:

Future shifted frames are the coolest but also probably the least functional

I hated them when they were revealed (hideous bevels). I kinda like them now, but in large part because of the historical element.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

I like the new frames more in terms of functionality, information is conveyed pretty well visually. I think the old frames gave off a better fantasy "feel" though, the new ones look a little more like sci-fi to me. That said, I'm not an artist or anything so I can't really articulate why.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

The Modo team can barely keep up with coding cards that are actually printed, they're never going to have a chance to program potential cards that are still in development.

(Unless WotC decides to actually invest any resources at all in making Modo not garbage but good luck with that.)

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
You basically nailed it on the head there - they are not what you think of when you go for "Fantasy battle between wizards". I absolutely love the look of the old frames (especially the red ones, where the frame has a crack on the left side, next to the text box), but I do agree that they are not all that functional, and old "gold" cards look like rear end, and I still can not comprehend who the gently caress thought those were a good look.

I think in the spirit of flavor and functionality a new card-frame that isn't sleek sci-fi curves should be made. Not sure what it would look like, mind you, but I'm not the one being paid to do it!

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Hellsau posted:

They didn't even think to playtest the cards for that mtgo standard flashback thing, cards that were already in the game, and cards that already had a known bug on the bug tracker that had been there for months. If they couldn't corral a couple people to spend like an hour a night for a week playtesting cards that were already in the game, and if they couldn't be bothered to fix a longstanding bug that happens to now break a historical standard deck, then I dunno if they can be bothered to test cards which may or may not exist in the future.

It's not really that simple though. Pretty much any development workflow today is going to have tasks that are weighted by how much work they take, and then those tasks are taken on based on how much work the team can do.

The only real solution is for WotC to allocate the proper amount (more) resources to MTGO or to outsource it to a studio that can do it.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

use the 8e-5d frames for everything

make white and colorless cards indistinguishable again

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Elyv posted:

use the 8e-5d frames for everything

make white and colorless cards indistinguishable again

Greyscale textbox mana symbols or no?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
The dallas open is this weekend and I think I will just play suicide jund because having baubles is a rarity right now. I might not actually play against the mirror all that much.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The old frames had way too much variation in style between the colors.

The Blue and Red ones were boring but serviceable, White so so dull and washed out it looked actively ugly (with bonus impossible to read white-on-white card name and type lines), Black had its own cool unique thing going on, and Green just looked kind of goofy with its old timey wood-paneling look

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

The dallas open is this weekend and I think I will just play suicide jund because having baubles is a rarity right now. I might not actually play against the mirror all that much.

You will.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Jenx posted:

I think in the spirit of flavor and functionality a new card-frame that isn't sleek sci-fi curves should be made. Not sure what it would look like, mind you, but I'm not the one being paid to do it!

I've mentioned this before when it comes up, but I think the Planar Chaos shifted frames are pretty drat close.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Hellsau posted:

That doesn't have anything to do with the problem of the actual paper magic, however. Missing something like blink-cat is pretty egregious.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
The development team has a message us form on their Tumblr if you want to troll them about it and ruin someone's day.

kas
Sep 9, 2003
I am a snoot.

Jenx posted:

You basically nailed it on the head there - they are not what you think of when you go for "Fantasy battle between wizards". I absolutely love the look of the old frames (especially the red ones, where the frame has a crack on the left side, next to the text box), but I do agree that they are not all that functional, and old "gold" cards look like rear end, and I still can not comprehend who the gently caress thought those were a good look.

Using this as an excuse to repost this thing I made. (where is Return to Time Spiral block?)

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

kas posted:

Using this as an excuse to repost this thing I made. (where is Return to Time Spiral block?)

Those are awesome and I would play cards with those borders.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

kas posted:

These are still great, and I still absolutely love them.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

I'm not a huge fan of the old text box thing for duals, but otherwise those look rad and I would play cards in those borders over the current ones.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

gwrtheyrn posted:

I'm not a huge fan of the old text box thing for duals, but otherwise those look rad and I would play cards in those borders over the current ones.

Blasphemy.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

That's pretty rich coming from you.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

kas posted:

Ooo. Do you have the templates for those posted anywhere?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Does this mean i am jesus?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

gwrtheyrn posted:

Does this mean i am jesus?

Yes. And dead.

gonna go wash my fins of this

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Whoever in the thread that had a buyer rip his misty in half just got posted to a fairly large facebook group.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rE9AZyz0CQ

I hope you enjoyed the trade because this person is an idiot.

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

The development team has a message us form on their Tumblr if you want to troll them about it and ruin someone's day.

Why would you say this and not share the link

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Sickening posted:

Whoever in the thread that had a buyer rip his misty in half just got posted to a fairly large facebook group.

Any quality responses so far?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Sickening posted:

Did that idiot just rip a real misty in half?

fuckingwhocares
Apr 23, 2003

Josh #2

I love it, but it should be Legacy to properly match the times.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Sickening posted:

I, too wish I was cardboard-rich enough to rip up expensive cards without giving a gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Twenty-two years and 10 million cards and I've never seen dots like that on any card ever before.

• Locked thread