Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

i love kramer/kramering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

saaaaame

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
lol, company had me do an online exam (which I aced), then a phone screen, and now they want me to do a phone interview (shared code viewer) before the in person interview. with most companies I would tell them to gently caress themselves, but this is one where I can't really do that. ugh.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Management posted:

lol, company had me do an online exam (which I aced), then a phone screen, and now they want me to do a phone interview (shared code viewer) before the in person interview. with most companies I would tell them to gently caress themselves, but this is one where I can't really do that. ugh.

so they're a long flight away right

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

The Management posted:

~loving tech~

certainly at some point they will catch you for the obvious fraud you are :rolleyes:

*requires candidates to go through approximately 12+ hours of interviewing, utilizing department employees as interviewers, including multiple panel interviews*

interviewing people is so expensive, we need more barriers to optimize the cost!

Arcteryx Anarchist fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Mar 6, 2017

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

hobbesmaster posted:

so they're a long flight away right

about a 15 minute drive

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

The Management posted:

The only time I ask somebody to do a programming quiz on the white board is when I think they are bullshitting me. I would say 9 times out of 10 I have had people fail FizzBuzz.

Usually, I shoot the poo poo, ask the person if they have any projects I can look at, talk about their background, ask about what interests them tech wise, and if I like where it's going I have them sign an NDA and set up a second interview.

At the second interview, I tend to show them around the building, give them a view of our infrastructure, and if they remain engaged and show interest it's usually a good sign. Every person that has asked me questions at this point, stayed engaged, shown interest, has been hired. It's worked wonderfully because I would rather somebody be a bit less on hard skills and be engaging and easy to talk to/work with, then have a ton of hard skills but be grating and a person I don't want to be around.

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax
How the gently caress do you get security cleranace in DC

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

very carefully, op

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

The XKCD Larper posted:

opm has a massive backlog so it takes forever, literally years

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

PierreTheMime posted:

on a scale of good to holy gently caress why, what's the consensus on moving to/living in the san fransisco area? i know id probably have to live way the hell outside the city to get any kind of decent housing for the family, but im coming from living in central florida so that seems like a fair trade

its contract-to-hire work, but a decent wage and im already a contractor so its not a huge hit to my employment reliability. my current place is likely never going to unfreeze internal hiring anyway

so basically, SF yes/no?
Yes, the move is reasonable at a higher salary. Note that you probably want to live closer to work than you think.

It's somewhat easy to get used to a smaller house, but your commute never gets better. So pay the extortionate local housing rental prices (family-sized homes are actually relatively discounted compared with 1/2 bedrooms).

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax

mishaq posted:

I can make 4.74 figures by getting a job 15 miles East that requires security clearance yet is somehow marked entry level on Indeed, or 4.45 figures spraying dust-off at the network card of a computer that produces DVDs of youth soccer league highlight reels without benefits of any kind (35 miles West)

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

ShadowHawk posted:

Yes, the move is reasonable at a higher salary. Note that you probably want to live closer to work than you think.

It's somewhat easy to get used to a smaller house, but your commute never gets better. So pay the extortionate local housing rental prices (family-sized homes are actually relatively discounted compared with 1/2 bedrooms).

much appreciated. we'll see if things go anywhere but they seemed p interested and im keen to leave the south

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
if anything maybe i can leverage this to finally get the md to grant me a full fte position, it's not like i wrote and support 100% of their flagship enterprise project

oh wait

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
am being encouraged to apply for a job as a business analyst: it's a medical related field: it might be interesting.. im probably got no shot and it'll tear my self esteem to shreds

but at least i'll know what a business analyst is

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

echi you will always be a business analrapist

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

The XKCD Larper posted:

do what i did and throw resumes at USAJobs until someone gets tired of seeing your name in the pile, or you find a job posting thats excepted so you aren't against vets pref

and then

mishaq posted:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mishaq posted:

echi you will always be a business analrapist

jesus

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

echinopsis posted:

am being encouraged to apply for a job as a business analyst: it's a medical related field: it might be interesting.. im probably got no shot and it'll tear my self esteem to shreds

but at least i'll know what a business analyst is

if you're already qualified for the job you're seeking you're not making any progress

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

The XKCD Larper posted:

you do a bunch of paperwork that you shove off to a black hole at OPM and then sit in the cooler doing whatever work you can until things finally come through

if youre a really boring sonofabitch with not a lot of foreign friends/family or lived in some foreign place in the past and you've never held a clearance before, it will be like 4-6 months, otherwise all bets are off

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

not our fault about burger king m8

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Management posted:

if you're already qualified for the job you're seeking you're not making any progress

is this a way of saying, shoot for the stars or something like that?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Management posted:

but thanks this is really cool advice

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Foo posted:

jesus

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Captain Foo posted:

:eyepop:

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

lancemantis posted:

you do a bunch of paperwork that you shove off to a black hole at OPM and then sit in the cooler doing whatever work you can until things finally come through

if youre a really boring sonofabitch with not a lot of foreign friends/family or lived in some foreign place in the past and you've never held a clearance before, it will be like 4-6 months, otherwise all bets are off

and then all your pii gets stolen in one of the largest breaches in history

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

redleader posted:

and then youre stuck doing some stupid poo poo for some stupid government contractor waiting for the sweet release of death

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

redleader posted:

yeah :smith:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mishaq posted:

and then youre stuck doing some stupid poo poo for some stupid government contractor waiting for the sweet release of death

dat sweet release. the ultimate orgasm

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

PierreTheMime posted:

im keen to leave the south

Oh you hadn't mentioned that part. Take the job.

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax

mishaq posted:

I'm glad I moved here and I have very high hopes of finding work here

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

The XKCD Larper posted:

I'm glad I moved here and I have very high hopes of finding work here

if "here" is the dc area, lol

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
i have a phone interview with a different division in apple coming up. this one's for a senior position so i am hecka nervous. most of the requirements i either had or could easily learn though.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

cis autodrag posted:

i have a phone interview with a different division in apple coming up. this one's for a senior position so i am hecka nervous. most of the requirements i either had or could easily learn though.

if you are not intimidated it's not a step up

good luck 👍🍀

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

cis autodrag posted:

is it phone only or is there a computer involved?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

The Management posted:

is it phone only or is there a computer involved?

phone only. this is an initial interview only i would assume.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

a recruiter contacted me about a position at a company, normally I wouldn't bother but it's actually in my lovely town instead of in the big city

negative: 6 months contract to hire

positive: it's 10 minutes from my house instead of 45 minutes

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

Wise.

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

good luck 👍🍀

Interviewing to break out of my current position because I didn't follow this :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

cis autodrag posted:

are you gonna be the new ceo

are they finally ousting tim yesssssss

• Locked thread