Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

starkebn posted:

Well as was shown in the Gold Coast recently it's pretty easy to just buy a house of that price on a whim and kind of just forget to declare it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Dude McAwesome posted:

hahahahaha, that's magnificent.

"i'm not dumb, i read books."

Ah yes, the Brandis Gambit is a favourite at senate estimates and committees.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
https://twitter.com/inthehansard/status/838606640895025152

https://twitter.com/inthehansard/status/838604847922327552

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Mar 6, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Tokamak posted:

You do know that this vacancy tax only cover's Melbourne's inner and middle suburbs? If you have a holiday home in the city, then tough poo poo, you can afford the tax. I don't even know why there is an exemption for them in the first place. The $100k beach shack in Melbourne is a purely hypothetical example. If it applied to a small coastal towns, then yeah it'd suck.

I responded to a poster who was specifically talking holiday homes as an extension of this.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

He's the gift that keeps on giving.

"OK, I will stop calling it Neo-Fascist and call it the Australia Institute as that is its actual name"

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Journo makes pathetic attempt to regain moral high ground after doxxing Andie Fox:

quote:

Fox went to the mass media with her story. She decided to make it a matter for public discussion.

Second, I've been asked what public interest is served by raising this matter.

Centrelink has an obligation to distribute benefits in accordance with its governing legislation and regulations. No more. No less.

There is a public interest in assessing its performance and, in doing so, Centrelink and its staff have a right to a fair hearing.

There is a danger in the populist cries that all government agencies are incompetent; all politicians are in it for what they can get; taxpayers' money is always wasted; etc.

To those who say Centrelink and the government should not have responded to Fox's public account of her situation, or that I should have refused to take note of their response, I ask: do you want journalists to dig for the truth? Or do you simply want social media that panders to your prejudice and ignores many sides of an argument?

:qq: wah wah it's her fault anyway she doxxed herself it wasn't me and it's your fault for wanting real journalism :qq:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

A Turnbull government cabinet minister has been caught out failing to properly declare her financial interests, potentially placing her in “serious contempt” of federal parliament.

Employment Minister Michaelia Cash did not declare a mortgage on a $1.4 million investment property for almost four months – and finally made the disclosure only after questions from Fairfax Media.

Ms Cash bought the house next door to her home in the upmarket Perth suburb of Floreat in early November, property records show.

It’s the fourth house in her portfolio, and second investment property. Ms Cash took almost three months to declare the house but did not declare the new mortgage – both of which are required under the rules.

Watch nothing come of this, but still :bisonyes:

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
I wonder if it is just the women who are not declaring houses or if people are just white anting them. It's Ley and now Cash who have made the news for this and it seems unlikely that they're the only two.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Bogan King posted:

I wonder if it is just the women who are not declaring houses or if people are just white anting them. It's Ley and now Cash who have made the news for this and it seems unlikely that they're the only two.

Oh my god its Julie Bishop isn't it.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
http://parlinfo.aph.gov.au/parlInfo...20committees%22

Just read what Senator Roberts says, complete fruitloop.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Bogan King posted:

The same journalist who broke the Ley story broke the Bronwyn Bishop story, there's something going on I reckon.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

How would one go about having an mp sectioned? Asking for a friend's electorate

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
I like it when he asks a question, the witness doesn't know, then he tells them the answer.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Seems like a good time to bring this back

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

The same journalist who broke the Ley story broke the Bronwyn Bishop story, there's something going on I reckon.

Probably an old grey-hair in the Liberal party wants to get rid of all these women folk messing up the place. Politics is a man's job

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Probably an old grey-hair in the Liberal party wants to get rid of all these women folk messing up the place. Politics is a man's job

It's been mentioned that they're both moderates too so it could be the right trying to get Dutton into a softer light.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

If they want to portray Dutton as softer they should boil him for a while

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

So Paris is upping their vacant property tax from 20% of fair rental income to 60%. They don't like property speculation as well as wanting a fair and robust rental market. It turns out they really are better at doing the sophisticated thing better than we are.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Bogan King posted:

It's been mentioned that they're both moderates too so it could be the right trying to get Dutton into a softer light.

Jesus, cash is considered a moderate!?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Yeah. She just wants to gently caress the poor over. To be Liberal right these days, you have get behind the banning of women from voting and/or leaving their houses without male permission, and the grinding of people of colour into a rich nutrient paste for use as chicken feed.

Keep up!

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

In the sense Turnbull is considered a soft little lefty, yes

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Michaelia Cash and Julie Bishop both dated Ross Lightfoot, Michaelia took his seat :barf:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Yeah, she's another politician's daughter, what a coincidence. Here, read her maiden speech, there's some insight.

Also holy gently caress that economics committee Hansard is interesting in many ways, not least Cormann's interruptions to shill government legislation because as you know, wages won't grow without more productivity, so pass his Ten Year Plan already!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Auspol April - Honourable senators interjecting

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

And while I'm at it, if you want to be properly creeped out, you can read the Potato's maiden speech, the same day as Sussan Ley's. Of course, he has it on his own site, but I'm not going there.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/mar/06/come-here-red-pauline-hanson-feels-the-love-while-campaigning-in-wa
:barf:

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

THELMA LETCH

what a loving name

AgentF
May 11, 2009

quote:

Lowering her voice to a whisper, Letch leans in and explains the main reason she supports Hanson.

“We’ve got a, a Muslim problem and she will talk about it and no one else will,” she said. “I don’t want them in the country. I loathe the way they crucify little girls.”

One Nation voters, ladies and gentlemen.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

It's just the way they crucify them. It's not natural.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

https://twitter.com/CliveFPalmer/status/838686039237545984

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

AgentF posted:

One Nation voters, ladies and gentlemen.

Would love to ask her about priests molesting kids if she is so concerned with the non-existent problems clearly the existent must terrify her.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
http://www.theage.com.au/federal-po...306-gurnpc.html

quote:

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull is considering a proposal for a major restructuring of the federal government that would create a US-style Department of Homeland Security.

The stated aim of the plan is to improve co-ordination across the government in preventing terrorist attacks. It would merge at least half a dozen relevant federal agencies from two departments into a mega-department.

The putative minister for homeland security would be the current Immigration Minister, Peter Dutton.

Jesus loving Christ.

quote:

Senator Brandis' sacking would be the trigger for the reorganisation. The Attorney-General is staunchly opposed to being moved on, and, together with other ministers, is understood to be strongly opposed to the proposed restructuring.

one finger curls back on the monkey's paw

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Holy poo poo, no.

We are an almost completely insignificant country at the arse end of the world with a minuscule population. There is no boogie man lurking in the closet waiting to jump out and attack us. The only enemies we have are the ones our government is rushing head over feet to create right here at home.

We barely need the security apparatus we already have let alone a massive super-department beholden to no law or human decency.

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
I guess they werent content with a mere raid by the security services for a distraction this time.

Either that or they see this as a way of saving money in the budget.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Gorilla Salad posted:

Holy poo poo, no.

We are an almost completely insignificant country at the arse end of the world with a minuscule population. There is no boogie man lurking in the closet waiting to jump out and attack us. The only enemies we have are the ones our government is rushing head over feet to create right here at home.

We barely need the security apparatus we already have let alone a massive super-department beholden to no law or human decency.

National security is about the only thing they can sell with any confidence. You can tell they're all secretly hoping for someone to blow themselves up in the Sydney CBD or something but failing that they might as well go for a new security agency

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ora Tzo posted:

I guess they werent content with a mere raid by the security services for a distraction this time.

Either that or they see this as a way of saving money in the budget.

Do you honestly see more actual government employees happening as a result of creating this Australian Homebrand Security? I don't, they want to cut jobs wherever possible because ideology.

I could see people changing uniforms but that's about it. Sounds more like a power play at the Canberra level for control of the numbered buildings.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Who ever says "Homeland" here? Are we just going to import our policies wholesale from the US now? Surely this sounds kinda strange to the average Australian.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
The government's already at the point of doxxing people for daring to speak out against policy so why the gently caress not establish a Stasi.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Department of Fatherland security did even worse in focus groups outside qld and wa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Leaked Liberal polling forecasts huge WA election loss for Premier Colin Barnett

The WA Liberal Party's internal polling shows the state government is in a "far worse" position than that shown by published surveys, which point to a Coalition loss on Saturday, and the preference deal with One Nation is to blame.

A source who has seen polling conducted for the WA Liberal Party one week ago said the government was facing a two-party preferred position of 57-43.

This could lead to the Liberal-Nationals Coalition haemorrhaging as many as 20 seats.

The party has already given up hope in several seats including the marginals of Forrestfield, held by Nathan Morton, and Perth, held by Eleni Evangel. But a source familiar with internal tactics said the party was also not expecting to hold the seats of Joondalup, which is held by Jan Norberger with a 10 per cent margin, Jandakot and Kalamunda, currently held by Health Minister John Day with a similar margin.

The party believes Labor could also pick up the seats of Southern River, Darling Range, Belmont, Mount Lawley, Bunbury, Bicton, Balcatta, Wanneroo, Burns Beach and Riverton - all currently held by the Liberals with double-digit margins.

The 57-43 position is far worse than Fairfax Media's ReachTel poll results published four days ago. That survey put the LNP trailing Mark McGowan's Labor party 48-52.

A Galaxy poll published on the weekend in the Sunday Times newspaper had the government in a worse position of 46-54.

WA Liberal state director Andrew Cox did not respond to Fairfax Media's requests for comment. Last month Mr Cox approved a deal for the Liberals to preference One Nation above their National Party Coalition partners in the Upper House in country regions.

The Liberal source said the dismal forecast for this weekend's state election was the result of a major backlash to the Liberal Party's preference deal with One Nation.

"Liberals want to be able to say we're for stronger borders but we're not racists," the source said.

• Locked thread