Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Solid Cake posted:

I'm a little late, but please post a trip report when you've gotten to use it for a little bit!

I'm between this and the LG Watch Style. The ZenWatch has a little bigger battery (100 mAh more, I don't know if this is significant in a gadget this size) and is much more visually appealing, but I'm concerned about the big lugs on the Zen being too chunky on my little wrists and the protruding buttons being awkward. The LG is sort of plain looking, but I'm rocking a Pebble Time Round right now and it's not exactly a show-stopper so that doesn't bother me... I do like that the Style has the rotating crown for navigation a LOT. I watched a video review of it in use and it looks slick as hell. There are a good amount of third party straps for the Style too, and it can use Google's MODE straps... The ZenWatch can only use ASUS brand.

Ugh I'm so indecisive :ohdear: I secretly already bought the Style (Best Buy open-box deal for $200, will be delivered sometime next week), but if this is nice I might return it before I tell my fiance I bought it - he told me I should hold off and I'd never hear the end of it if I immediately want to swap it out for something else.

I was worried about it being too big as well but I like the size. Obviously I can't directly compare it to the style but it is a little bigger and I think I would have regretted the Style's smaller size.

Pic on wrist:

I would consider myself to have average size wrists, and it's pretty comfortable. Wore it all last night when the wife and I went to Disney World. It's more comfortable than I thought it would be, but I've never worn a watch until now so I don't have anything to compare it to.

As for the bands, it is a bit disappointing but the way I figured it the Style doesn't use standard bands either. And according to Reddit, you can use 14mm watch springs in the ZW3, and a lot of people have been cutting metal bands narrow enough at the connections and wearing them no problem; I'm fine waiting for Asus to release new bands though.

Oh also the crown rotates on the ZW3, but it doesn't seem to do anything. Maybe a software update (Wear 2.0?) will add functionality?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

RCarr posted:

I played Zelda on the switch for like 6 hours straight yesterday, and didn't notice the FPS drop a single time. Granted, I'm not a stickler for stuff like that, but seriously, I didn't notice it once.

(It's already a contender for best video game I've ever played. Get it. Trust me.)

I was initially really excited about Switch but I'm going to wait. Maybe when Mario comes out I'll be more interested but I'm not a huge Zelda fan and I don't really want to pay $60 for updates to games I already have on Wii U. I was really hoping they'd get a few more mainstream console games too, like NHL, even though I knew it was unlikely.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST

Fidget Cube, the Kickstarter Backer Edition. I love this thing, I'm constantly playing with it when I'm concentrating on other tasks.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

sky shark posted:

Fidget Cube, the Kickstarter Backer Edition. I love this thing, I'm constantly playing with it when I'm concentrating on other tasks.

My order was finalized 2 days ago, I can't wait to get it. My restless hands have done so much damage to my cuticles.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
As a March backer, I'm still waiting for mine :qq:

Were you a December backer or March?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

RCarr posted:

I played Zelda on the switch for like 6 hours straight yesterday, and didn't notice the FPS drop a single time. Granted, I'm not a stickler for stuff like that, but seriously, I didn't notice it once.

(It's already a contender for best video game I've ever played. Get it. Trust me.)

It allegedly drops every time you make contact with a weapon because of the particle effects.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Aphrodite posted:

It allegedly drops every time you make contact with a weapon because of the particle effects.

That doesn't make a whole lot of sense though, it's more likely there's an intentional frame hitch at that point, which is a pretty common technique to make the impact stand out more.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Night Danger Moose posted:

My order was finalized 2 days ago, I can't wait to get it. My restless hands have done so much damage to my cuticles.

Aren't there like a million of these on Amazon for 2 bucks?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

FishBulb posted:

Aren't there like a million of these on Amazon for 2 bucks?

They are all cheap crap which fall apart after five minutes.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm about 8 hours into Zelda and have noticed zero performance issues ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Dewgy posted:

That doesn't make a whole lot of sense though, it's more likely there's an intentional frame hitch at that point, which is a pretty common technique to make the impact stand out more.

It's also a technique they've been using in Zelda games since at least Wind Waker.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Rumda posted:

They are all cheap crap which fall apart after five minutes.

I've had a $4 one from aliexpress since December, it's held up great.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

bowmore posted:

Wii U or Switch?

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006
all the better to glomp you with

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

You want the black one.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I am the easiest sales mark ever

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006
all the better to glomp you with

Josh Lyman posted:

You want the black one.

I don't see color

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bottom Liner posted:

Wii U or Switch?
Switch

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

I bought a ticket to a viewpoint to see this

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Got this very exciting device:

Anker PowerCore 20000 QC.
Gonna be traveling a lot this month, and current phone doesn't have swappable battery, so counting on this thing.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

bowmore posted:

I'm ~20 hours in and have been playing completely in tv mode. There have been a few instances of noticeable but not distracting slowdowns in some grassier areas. The only time it was actually distracting so far was when I went to death mountain and there were multiple enemies on screen, boulders on screen, and a ton of fire effects. The game does sometimes chug, but if its chugging you probably should be running away.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Bogan Krkic posted:

I bought a ticket to a viewpoint to see this

This is fantastic, where is this if you don't mind me asking? Do you live in the area or see you on vacation?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Nephzinho posted:

I'm ~20 hours in and have been playing completely in tv mode. There have been a few instances of noticeable but not distracting slowdowns in some grassier areas. The only time it was actually distracting so far was when I went to death mountain and there were multiple enemies on screen, boulders on screen, and a ton of fire effects. The game does sometimes chug, but if its chugging you probably should be running away.

How on Earth is it 2017 and a game "chugging" on its brand new, optimized console is acceptable to anyone?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

How on Earth is it 2017 and a game "chugging" on its brand new, optimized console is acceptable to anyone?

The game is really, really, really good.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

On the other hand I bought Horizon Zero Dawn and it's loving gorgeous on a first wave PS4. I can't even imagine how good it would look in 4K on a Pro.

It's also really really good as a game, period.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

It says Nintendo on it.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Aphrodite posted:

It says NintendoZelda on it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I thought the whole point of consoles was you didn't have to deal with this level of bullshit?

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

strangemusic posted:

On the other hand I bought Horizon Zero Dawn and it's loving gorgeous on a first wave PS4. I can't even imagine how good it would look in 4K on a Pro.

It's also really really good as a game, period.

I would like to see it natively running in 4k, not just upscaled. But for that Sony would have to pull its head out of its rear end. At least the Final Fantasy 15 devs seem to like PC, and how much better their game looks on it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

I thought the whole point of consoles was you didn't have to deal with this level of bullshit?
The Switch is basically a handheld that comes with a dock. The fact that it runs fine at 720p but not 900p speaks for itself.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

It says Nintendo on it.

To be fair, its most big franchises. I remember watching things skip halfway across the screen in the sky playing FF15, or having combat slow down to the point where it was button mashing without any idea what's going on (how is that different from when its working, I know). It isn't just a Nintendo issue, and if a game is good an occasional framerate dip isn't going to change that.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

OSU_Matthew posted:

This is fantastic, where is this if you don't mind me asking? Do you live in the area or see you on vacation?

Phi Phi island in Thailand. I was there last year and it owned, but there's gently caress all to do if staying for more than a few days, I'd recommend catching a ferry to the mainland of Phuket as well.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

People have preferences different from mine?!?!

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Nephzinho posted:

To be fair, its most big franchises. I remember watching things skip halfway across the screen in the sky playing FF15, or having combat slow down to the point where it was button mashing without any idea what's going on (how is that different from when its working, I know). It isn't just a Nintendo issue, and if a game is good an occasional framerate dip isn't going to change that.

Hardware is expensive and constantly evolving and consoles are in development for a while. The specs will always be behind. Fps is the benefit of PC, uniformity and breadth the benefit of consoles.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!

betterinsodapop posted:

Got this very exciting device:

Anker PowerCore 20000 QC.
Gonna be traveling a lot this month, and current phone doesn't have swappable battery, so counting on this thing.

If you are like me and leave the cable plugged into the pack, make sure You hit that button on the side when you plug in the phone or it won't start charging. It only auto detects the phone if you plug in the USB end, if you leave that end in and just plug and unplug the phone you gotta hit the button.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

king of the bongo posted:

If you are like me and leave the cable plugged into the pack, make sure You hit that button on the side when you plug in the phone or it won't start charging. It only auto detects the phone if you plug in the USB end, if you leave that end in and just plug and unplug the phone you gotta hit the button.
Aha! I will be mindful of this, thank you!

colas
Feb 14, 2007

What should I try next if I've tried the other bottom shelf stuff as well as Jack/Jim/Crown but want to stay under $50?

RFX
Nov 23, 2007

colas posted:

What should I try next if I've tried the other bottom shelf stuff as well as Jack/Jim/Crown but want to stay under $50?

Four Roses Single Barrel. I think it's usually in the $40-45 range.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
"Good bourbon under $50" is a list 100+ long.

My favorite under $25 is Eagle Rare, my favorite under $35 is Elmer T Lee, and my favorite under $50 is EH Taylor Small Batch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Nephzinho posted:

The game is really, really, really good.

Ehhhhhhhhh... They kinda took all the fun "rpg lite" bits of Zelda and substituted it out for the soul crushing grind and inventory management of an MMO, annoying busted weapons of Far Cry 2, and the relative aimlessness of Skyrim.

Great if that's what you like, just hasn't really been much of a fun game for me yet.

colas posted:

Bulliet is my current favorite, by itself and for mixing, and Old Forresters is pretty tasty as well if you're looking more towards the middle. Evan Williams Honey is pretty great for jack and cokes. People like Wild Turkey 101, but it's kinda meh in my opinion.

I might have terrible taste though, who knows. That's just what I like :v: