Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Speaking of team attacks, I kind of wish Battle Bomber and Guard Diver had them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Is this the longest an SRW has made you wait to name your team?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Broken Loose posted:

I was blown away to see them exist in my unit list, especially because they're introduced after the other 2 Angels get thrown into an attack animation. Same thing for Daegusa and Conroy. I think the 3 Angels Attack is the exception only because the Aestivalises seriously lacked moves.

These ace conversations are wild! I wish sharing was enabled so I could screenshot these proper instead of taking photos of the screen, but that didn't stop me from photographing Boss's and Rei's to use as meme material. Go's was hilarious but nobody outside of Getter fans would really get the joke.

They actually shove the Tri-Stars and Sally's dragon ladies into attacks too.

Blockhouse posted:

Is this the longest an SRW has made you wait to name your team?

I was shocked when it happened, I figured they were just going to ignore it.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Oh, one other question: do we have a list of who can change into what yet?

Is it just "if this series allows people to change robots, they can change to any robot from the series" (like the Crossbone/F91) or are some cross-series?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I'm pretty sure the only time there's been any cross series pilot swapping has been when Turn A Gundam is in the game, in which case they're thrown into the UC Mobile Suit pile, and in SRW 4 where the Real Original could also pilot UC Mobile Suits.

And the plot based instances in MX and Alpha 3, but those aren't freely swappable.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Senerio posted:

Oh, one other question: do we have a list of who can change into what yet?

Is it just "if this series allows people to change robots, they can change to any robot from the series" (like the Crossbone/F91) or are some cross-series?

The only 'cross-series' units are the UC ones. Any from UC can go into any other UC unit though some are locked ability/plotwise by NT levels. (The exception is Unicorn Gundam which is plot-locked to Banagher.)

Grungust and Huckebein's pilots can swap as well. Beyond that it's more limited. (Ryouma can go into Black Getter but you can't put Hayato or Benkei into it.)

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

ImpAtom posted:

The only 'cross-series' units are the UC ones. Any from UC can go into any other UC unit though some are locked ability/plotwise by NT levels. (The exception is Unicorn Gundam which is plot-locked to Banagher.)

Oh that's good. What about non-UC series? Which let me put the protagonist into the useless mechs so I can give protagonist mechs to interesting side characters?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Senerio posted:

Oh that's good. What about non-UC series? Which let me put the protagonist into the useless mechs so I can give protagonist mechs to interesting side characters?

Unfortunately not really. Most protagonist units are locked to their designated pilot for plot reasons.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
drat. I wanted to make goofy combinations. Oh well.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

ImpAtom posted:

Unfortunately not really. Most protagonist units are locked to their designated pilot for plot reasons.

And sometime just because.

(I wanted to give Luna the Akatsuki game! :argh:)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dr Pepper posted:

And sometime just because.

(I wanted to give Luna the Akatsuki game! :argh:)

Look, someone already swapped Cagalli out of her protagonist unit canonically, don't do it to her in the game too. :smith:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
So sounds like Lunamaria is randomly plot-locked to her suit? Or is it the Akatsuki that's plot-locked?
Who do you get from SEED anyway?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Senerio posted:

So sounds like Lunamaria is randomly plot-locked to her suit? Or is it the Akatsuki that's plot-locked?

Lunamaria is locked to her suit because Strike Freedom, Infinite Justice and Destiny are all locked to their plots and there's nothing else she could go into if she wanted. (Plus she has two combo attacks with Shinn so you wouldn't want to take her out of it anyway.)

Akatsuki isn't in the game. Oddly Mu La Flaga has been completely 100% absent for a while now despite Koyasu voicing other characters. It's Freedom, Justice, Destiny, Impulse and Eternal.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

My complaint about the Akatsuki is from Z1, I don't have V yet. :shobon:

Akatsuki doesn't seem to be in V. As for Z1, it's locked to noted war criminal Neo Roanoke.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Oh okay. This is my first non-OG SRW, so I'm just trying to figure out who to focus on and what machines are worth it and whatnot.
Currently on Scenario 9 with Chitose when I get home.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Senerio posted:

It's the Akatsuki that's plot-locked.

Specifically, plot-locked-out-of-the-game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Senerio posted:

Oh okay. This is my first non-OG SRW, so I'm just trying to figure out who to focus on and what machines are worth it and whatnot.
Currently on Scenario 9 with Chitose when I get home.

Basically how it pans out

Originals:
All originals are worth it, but your protagonist unit far outstrips the Grungust and Huckebein

Mightgaine:
Mightgaine is extremely good, his support units are passable but not excellent except maybe Joe the Ace

Zambot/Daitarn:
Solid dependable super robots. Daitarn is the better of the two but only has one spell pool. Mostly worth deploying together for their combo attack.

Mazinger:
Mazinger Z (and eventually Mazinger Zero) are among the most broken units in the game. Great Mazinger is close behind. Boss and Sayaka are kinda eh.

Getter Robo:
Shin Getter is absurdly good, Black Getter is only if you like it, Shin Dragon is a top-tier battleship in a game full of top-tier battleships

Cross Ange:
Ange is absurdly good, Salamandria is fairly solid, the rest are disposable.

Evangelion:
Eva-01 is game-breakingly good. Eva-02 is solid and dependable. Eva-08 is pretty average and meh. Eva-00 is crap.

FMP:
Sousuke is extremely good, the rest are pretty mediocre and should only be deployed as a group.

Nadesico:
Black Selena and the Nadesico are extremely good, the other Aesties are kinda mediocre.

ZZ Gundam:
A batch of solid support pilots but only ZZ Gundam really stands out for its units. Judau should be the ZZ Pilot due to plot-locked attacks.

Zeta Gundam:
Zeta Gundam is extremely solid if given to Kamille though not ZZ Good. Methuss is lol. If you unlocked Jerid and Yazan but are surprisingly good pilots for anything that doesn't have NT requirements.

CCA:
Nu Gundam is extremely good though Amuro can make anything good.

Unicorn:
Unicorn and Banshee are incredibly good though you will have to keep Riddhe in Banshee to access its combo attack. Most of the others are disposable. Marida is a very solid support pilot (a third Puru) who excels in a better unit.

Hathaway's Flash:
Xi is a fantastic unit that should be given to someone not named Hathaway as soon as possible.

Crossbone:
Good units and good pilots. Kincade probably needs a better unit than the F91 to excel.

SEED Destiny:
3 extremely good units, 1 fairly average unit. Should be deployed together if you're using them as otherwise you're locked out of combo attacks. (This also means the Eternal should be deployed to give Justice and Freedom their METEOR attacks.)

00:
Setsuna is excellent, the rest are fairly forgettable. Graham would be top-tier if he could get a different suit. Tieria can leave your party but will refund everything you spend on him and become a subpilot for 00.

Yamato:
The Best Carrier Ever and I guess a lovely jet you'll probably ignore.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
That's a good list but really undersells Black Selena. At half upgrade bonus deployed with Nadesco it can easily solo most maps. Enemies beeline for it for some reason and he can just spam distortion attack over and over and have full EN next turn. He's only not my top ace because Chitose is a god in her Power upgrade.

e: not that you can't replicate that function with items but having it baked in is really good and leaves room for weapon +power/range upgrades

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Levantine posted:

That's a good list but really undersells Black Selena. At half upgrade bonus deployed with Nadesco it can easily solo most maps. Enemies beeline for it for some reason and he can just spam distortion attack over and over and have full EN next turn. He's only not my top ace because Chitose is a god in her Power upgrade.

e: not that you can't replicate that function with items but having it baked in is really good and leaves room for weapon +power/range upgrades

Akito and Ange basically both fall into the territory of being small/weak enough that enemies beeline for them while being strong enough that they wreck the poo poo of whoever is stupid enough to attack them. Akito has built in energy regen while Ange can get it from upgrades but in either case they're both absurdly good in a game that doesn't favor reals.

Sousuke is close but his unit just isn't as good as theirs.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
That's disappointing about Eva-00. I'm glad the Xi is good, and I'll probably toss it onto people I like.

Beyond the protagonists, who are the better UC pilots?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Senerio posted:

That's disappointing about Eva-00. I'm glad the Xi is good, and I'll probably toss it onto people I like.

Beyond the protagonists, who are the better UC pilots?

The Purus/Marida are solid pilots. Yazan and Jerid as mentioned are pretty top-tier pilots for oldtypes. Roux is pretty dependable as a support pilot. (I stuck her in the Xi Gundam and she did fairly well.) .Beyond that you're stuck with a lot of filler or Fa/Beechas.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I'm keeping Hathaway in the Xi right now out of worries that I won't get the missile upgrade for it or miss getting the Penelope, but when I find out the exact stuff I need for future playthroughs, Puru 2 and Mardia will be sitting in those two units forever until I just need to shove his dumb rear end into it for secrets. Roux can take Banshee and Seabook gets Nu.

For those who got the super missile Xi, when do you get that upgrade?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ImpAtom posted:

Akito and Ange basically both fall into the territory of being small/weak enough that enemies beeline for them while being strong enough that they wreck the poo poo of whoever is stupid enough to attack them. Akito has built in energy regen while Ange can get it from upgrades but in either case they're both absurdly good in a game that doesn't favor reals.

Sousuke is close but his unit just isn't as good as theirs.

Yeah I didn't really "get" Ange at first but some upgrades and unlocked abilities later she's just a total monster. On the off chance she takes some damage she heals it next round.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

ImpAtom posted:

FMP:
Sousuke is extremely good, the rest are pretty mediocre and should only be deployed as a group.

I have been deploying Clouseau also, because he's a Commander that isn't in a battleship and this is occasionally a useful thing to have.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Prism posted:

I have been deploying Clouseau also, because he's a Commander that isn't in a battleship and this is occasionally a useful thing to have.

So's Mao, and she gets a combo attack.

At least, until Sosuke upgrades to the Laevateinn, why can't we still have the combo attack with the Laevateinn.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Supremezero posted:

So's Mao, and she gets a combo attack.

At least, until Sosuke upgrades to the Laevateinn, why can't we still have the combo attack with the Laevateinn.

Since I don't use Kurz, the combo attack means nothing (it requires all three, right?), and I've been doing better with Clouseau than Mao as solo units. Clouseau's counter weapon being his best weapon doesn't hurt, if there's a bunch of damaged crap near him. I don't have room for all of them.

I'm only on stage 23 though since I've been taking my time.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

ImpAtom posted:

Hathaway's Flash:
Xi is a fantastic unit that should be given to someone not named Hathaway as soon as possible.

Joke's on you, Hathaway was the first pilot to get Valor in my game :smug:

(This doesn't make him good, mind you, it just makes me crazy.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CaptainRat posted:

Joke's on you, Hathaway was the first pilot to get Valor in my game :smug:

(This doesn't make him good, mind you, it just makes me crazy.)

Ironically overleveling Hathaway actually works against him because it means he is impacting less things with Defiance!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like that one of hathaway's skills is just 'gently caress you dad'

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

ImpAtom posted:

Ironically overleveling Hathaway actually works against him because it means he is impacting less things with Defiance!

Yeah, he's basically the worst all around, right down to his non-pilot suit outfit; the fact that so far he and Boss are the only two pilots to share Defiance has me thinking of him as the Boss of Gundam (which is actually probably Mondo or Iino but whatever). I'm mainly using him just because I like to use the "canon" pilots my first time around, and, well, he has Gain, so leveling him isn't much of a problem, and the Xi is mostly idiot-proof (speaking of which, where's Katz?).

Edit: vvv Oh drat, I didn't notice it on Kappei. Also that makes no sense, unless they're doing it as a post-series justification for losing the Sleep Training?

CaptainRat fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 7, 2017

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

CaptainRat posted:

Yeah, he's basically the worst all around, right down to his non-pilot suit outfit; the fact that so far he and Boss are the only two pilots to share Defiance has me thinking of him as the Boss of Gundam (which is actually probably Mondo or Iino but whatever). I'm mainly using him just because I like to use the "canon" pilots my first time around, and, well, he has Gain, so leveling him isn't much of a problem, and the Xi is mostly idiot-proof (speaking of which, where's Katz?).

You should have gotten Kappei before Boss?

I still don't like it as a skill. Just give them slightly discounted Spirits or inflated Melee or something.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

CaptainRat posted:

Dude, Boss is cool, don't compare him to that poo poo Hathaway.

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
The funny thing is that in this game, Boss is potentially a really solid support unit, if you give the Borot the ability to move and resupply, since it's actually a fairly mobile and tanky unit with Boss and the gang's spirit pools.

I just had a level for example where it got like 3 or 4 grunt kills, which is amazing considering it's supposed to be kind of a joke, at least compared to something like Getter or Mazinger.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The final stage of the final SRW will feature mechs like Mazinger ZERO, God EVA-01, Getter Emperor, Char in the Turn-A, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, and the Ideon...

All teaming up to take out the mighty protagonist unit, the Boss Borot.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

PurplieNurplie posted:

The funny thing is that in this game, Boss is potentially a really solid support unit, if you give the Borot the ability to move and resupply, since it's actually a fairly mobile and tanky unit with Boss and the gang's spirit pools.

I just had a level for example where it got like 3 or 4 grunt kills, which is amazing considering it's supposed to be kind of a joke, at least compared to something like Getter or Mazinger.

That's actually more or less normal for Boss in SRW.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Boss being a joke unit is kind of the reason hes usually fairly decent to good.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I thought this the other day: now that there's a Shin Great, is Photon Beam Mazinger Z's answer to Thunder Break?

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

ImpAtom posted:

Grungust and Huckebein's pilots can swap as well. Beyond that it's more limited. (Ryouma can go into Black Getter but you can't put Hayato or Benkei into it.)

For clarity, Hayato and Benkei do go into the Black Getter with Ryouma, it just doesn't transform. Their spell lists are still available. The next SRW original variation unit I want is definitely Black Getter 2 and 3 for the Getter boys.

CaptainRat posted:

(speaking of which, where's Katz?).

Dead. Flew into a rock and died during the events of Zeta. As far as I can tell Zeta happened mostly as it did in the show except for Jerid

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

EthanSteele posted:

Dead. Flew into a rock and died during the events of Zeta. As far as I can tell Zeta happened mostly as it did in the show except for Jerid

The way things are explained due to SRW going on the protagonist group during that situation decided that rather than fighting a war they'd hyper-zoom-in on the leaders of the factions. So they went and killed Scirocco and Haman and such but left their underlings mostly alive. It seems like Zeta happened as per normal except for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

EthanSteele posted:

Jerid was what threw me, but yeah, I guess if they don't start putting their feet down about canon ends they could go all the way back to, "well maybe Gai survived," and the like. Plus I guess I can use Sanada for Disturbance Agitate.

• Locked thread