Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Ironically, as much as I hate the cord for its twisting and length limits that reduce my usable space by half and how often it gets tripped over pulling the headset from its resting place, the biggest problem is how incredibly inconvenient it is when trying to do a sitting experience in a normal computer chair. It gets crushed under the wheels, tangled in the arms, prevents me from leaning back, and pulls whenever I turn the chair. Its just the worse.

I have no interest in doing everything in VR, my top priority is making the things worth doing in VR better, and resolution doesnt do that nearly as well as wireless does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
You would need a video compression algorithm aware of foveated rendering, and wireless VR uses uncompressed video for low latency. Need to sort out a bunch of things before this stuff just works. Put me in the more resolution, field of view and better optics camp. I still spend most of my time in VR using tools like medium or piloting spaceships or trucks. Being able to see clearly is way more important than moving more. Heck, I was tired when I got Robot Recall so I played it sitting in my office chair to try it out and it was fine. Standing up and having more room to move in is great too, but don't discount seated VR. It's still good.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
How do you guys work around the cord in Onward/Pavlov? I've had a few times where going around a corner I first had to do a twist the other way so not to wrap myself into the cord.

Splashy Gravy
Dec 21, 2004

I HAVE FURY!
Slippery Tilde

homeless snail posted:

Good job Valve, now we have to live with this lovely name for the Khronos group VR API for all eternity.

It looks like the split X is both a 'V' and an 'A' for VR and AR. I like it :shrug:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Splashy Gravy posted:

It looks like the split X is both a 'V' and an 'A' for VR and AR. I like it :shrug:

This thread is about VR, you need to pick a side and become the ultimate console warrior. I won't stand by and let VR and AR (or even more than one kind of VR) exist at the same time.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Man I am enjoying the gently caress out of Robo Recall. I know it's fairly limited in scope but that's besides the point when replaying a level over and over to get all the stars is so addictive. I can't wait for them to fix the 360 camera setup nonsense because man what a weird design flaw to have, but ignoring getting turned around every other teleport the game is just so satisfying. Ripping off robot heads until your meter is full, grabbing drones out of the air, melting robots with them and then bashing your useless frenemies together until they explode feels amazing. It's essentially a sequel to Bulletstorm or a first person Bayonetta-like and I'm having a great time bowling robots over with other robots before executing them gangsta style and mic-dropping my infinite guns onto their robo-corpses. robo

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Songbearer posted:

Man I am enjoying the gently caress out of Robo Recall. I know it's fairly limited in scope but that's besides the point when replaying a level over and over to get all the stars is so addictive. I can't wait for them to fix the 360 camera setup nonsense because man what a weird design flaw to have, but ignoring getting turned around every other teleport the game is just so satisfying. Ripping off robot heads until your meter is full, grabbing drones out of the air, melting robots with them and then bashing your useless frenemies together until they explode feels amazing. It's essentially a sequel to Bulletstorm or a first person Bayonetta-like and I'm having a great time bowling robots over with other robots before executing them gangsta style and mic-dropping my infinite guns onto their robo-corpses. robo

It's really really good. It might be my new "show people VR" game and it's just so drat fun all around. I'm starting to wrap my mind around the teleport facing; since you can select your facing with the thumbstick and it slows time while you are teleporting you can kind mentally set yourself for where you will be and where you will be facing. But at the very least they should have an option setting to allow fixed facing or whatever they want to call it.

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA
Apologies if this is clearly answered somewhere else, but:

I bought the Rift + Touch recently and set it up - everything works beautifully!

Unfortunately, all of the free touch games are showing in the store as if they are full price. When I go to oculus.com and look at "My Rift" in the profile, it only shows the headset and sensor that came with it, not my Touch controllers.

Anyone else had this problem and, if so, how did you fix it?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

metztli posted:

Apologies if this is clearly answered somewhere else, but:

I bought the Rift + Touch recently and set it up - everything works beautifully!

Unfortunately, all of the free touch games are showing in the store as if they are full price. When I go to oculus.com and look at "My Rift" in the profile, it only shows the headset and sensor that came with it, not my Touch controllers.

Anyone else had this problem and, if so, how did you fix it?

Rerun full setup again in Oculus Home.
Go to settings, devices and click the drop down in the top right.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

rage-saq posted:

If that doesn't work you can always put in a ticket at: https://tickets.oculus.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

They are super responsive, maybe not on Sunday but they otherwise get back to you really fast.

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA

rage-saq posted:

Rerunning the full setup didn't work, so I guess it's time to put in a ticket.

Other question:
If I want to play a game that isn't in the rift store, other than setting up my rift to allow games from other sources, do I have to do anything?

I've changed that setting and downloaded GORN, but when I put on the head set after running GORN it just goes to black then to the Home/Library screen. Is there another step I'm missing?

Thanks again!

Figured it out: Need to have Steam VR installed.

metztli fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 5, 2017

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Curious, is there something like Revive for Oculus?

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

SEKCobra posted:

Curious, is there something like Revive for Oculus?

Yeah, it's called SteamVR :v:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Borderlands VR When?

One of the upgrades for an initially relatively useless gun in Robo Recall makes it explode when thrown :v:

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
There are apparently still a lot of people in certain corners on the internet that are claiming the Oculus tracking is broken, so I made a quick video to refute those people. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-1uxo8ELfY

I left my desk in place (You can see where I outlined it in front) When it's there I get occlusion on the floor in that area. If I move it out, I get about another 2/2.5 feet forward. The only subtle tracking hiccup was in the back and back right (0.38s and 0.41s). Both are caused by occlusion though. Straight back, my body was blocking the two front sensors since I was sitting on the ground, and in the back right, I again outlined some furniture there that blocks the Touch if I get too close. It never loses tracking completely, just a small judder that has never been noticeable in game for me even in the last patch that broke a lot of peoples tracking.

I used to move my desk out and away, but I haven't found the extra couple feet to be worth the effort 99.9% of the time, same thing with the furniture in the back. So this is pretty much the space I play most of the time, measured at ~9.5f x 9.5f.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
While my tracking with 2 sensors in 360 mode isn't perfect, it's a poo poo-ton better with 1.2 and it's easily the best it's ever been prior to it. I'll take an occasional handoff twitch for the excellent tracking it otherwise offers, I haven't had a single example of my hands vanishing into the horizon yet since the patch landed.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Songbearer posted:

While my tracking with 2 sensors in 360 mode isn't perfect, it's a poo poo-ton better with 1.2 and it's easily the best it's ever been prior to it. I'll take an occasional handoff twitch for the excellent tracking it otherwise offers, I haven't had a single example of my hands vanishing into the horizon yet since the patch landed.

Nice. Yeah I'm using 3, I did have some tracking issues early on with a 2 cam 360 setup. With the extra sensors now being $60, I would have no problem recommending it to anyone that has the space and has any issues with 2. Although they might wanna wait because Oculus have said they will continue to work on and improve the tracking, so in the near future 2 might be just as good as 3, although with the lower horizontal FOV compared to Lighthouses, I think 3 might always still be best.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Songbearer posted:

One of the upgrades for an initially relatively useless gun in Robo Recall makes it explode when thrown :v:

That gun is the best, you do realize as you hold the trigger down, the fire rate actually ramps up, right? As long as you remember to lead the targets, it's pretty insane DPS, especially if you pick extended magazine as the first upgrade.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
Landfall is cool and good. Does anyone else play it?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Delta-Wye posted:

Landfall is cool and good. Does anyone else play it?

I enjoyed the beta, but it did take extremely long to get in to matches... I can only imagine it's harder now that you have to pay for it.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Hey guys. What's the goon Discord again?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Poetic Justice posted:

There are apparently still a lot of people in certain corners on the internet that are claiming the Oculus tracking is broken, so I made a quick video to refute those people. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-1uxo8ELfY

Tracking on 1.12 is pretty much flawless now. I've got 4 sensors all on USB3 with the fancy Startech 4 channel 4 port card and there aren't any abnormalities anymore.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Poetic Justice posted:

I left my desk in place (You can see where I outlined it in front) When it's there I get occlusion on the floor in that area. If I move it out, I get about another 2/2.5 feet forward. The only subtle tracking hiccup was in the back and back right (0.38s and 0.41s). Both are caused by occlusion though. Straight back, my body was blocking the two front sensors since I was sitting on the ground, and in the back right, I again outlined some furniture there that blocks the Touch if I get too close. It never loses tracking completely, just a small judder that has never been noticeable in game for me even in the last patch that broke a lot of peoples tracking.

I used to move my desk out and away, but I haven't found the extra couple feet to be worth the effort 99.9% of the time, same thing with the furniture in the back. So this is pretty much the space I play most of the time, measured at ~9.5f x 9.5f.

Oculus tracking is good, I don't think anyone is claiming its bad, its just not as robust as Vive tracking. However for 99.9% of situations it is more than competent. Plus Oculus gains the advantage of not needing to avoid reflective surfaces in your play area (I believe).

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Knifegrab posted:

Oculus tracking is good, I don't think anyone is claiming its bad, its just not as robust as Vive tracking. However for 99.9% of situations it is more than competent. Plus Oculus gains the advantage of not needing to avoid reflective surfaces in your play area (I believe).

Yeah people aren't saying it's bad here on SA, but in some of the VR subreddits (I know, I know). That being said though there are still some people that are having weird tracking issues even with the latest patch, so hopefully Oculus can get those people's problems ironed out sooner rather than later.

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 6, 2017

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Poetic Justice posted:

Yeah people aren't saying it's bad here on SA, but in some of the VR subreddits (I know, I know). That being said though there are still some people that are having weird tracking issues even with the latest patch, so hopefully Oculus can get those people's problems ironed out sooner rather than later.

I do have to wonder if Oculus will ever ditch constellation. Its fine but in every way it seems like the worse of the two options. I know they are pouring a ton of money into it though so I have to wonder if gen 2 will be a new solution (perhaps even better than lighthouses), if it will be an adapted lighthouse, or if they will double down on constellation. I really hope its not the latter.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Do you guys think that there is any truth to the rumors that Apple is going to be dipping its toe into the field with its own augmented reality headset? I'm starting to see articles pop up more regularly saying that Apple is getting ready to enter the market this year or next, and that when it happens it'll bring in a few million people who have been sitting out on virtual reality until that product launch.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Knifegrab posted:

I do have to wonder if Oculus will ever ditch constellation. Its fine but in every way it seems like the worse of the two options. I know they are pouring a ton of money into it though so I have to wonder if gen 2 will be a new solution (perhaps even better than lighthouses), if it will be an adapted lighthouse, or if they will double down on constellation. I really hope its not the latter.

Tested interviewed Nate Mitchel during GDC and iirc he said they are sticking with Constellation for awhile. I think there is more you can do with optical tracking like hand/finger/full body tracking that would require a lot of puck type things to work with the Lighthouse technology. Likely that is so far in the future there is probably going to be something even better by that time, though. I think, if they do stick with optical sensors, Oculus for gen2 should use some sort of breakout box that handles all the processing/drivers of the sensors, that would solve a lot of problems people have with bandwidth and compatibility issues. Everything plugs into the box, and that box plugs into the PC with a cable or two.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Apple will wait a few years, come out with their own VR/AR, and be lauded for inventing VR/AR. The iVR will most likely be behind on features compared to Rift 2/Viive but will feature beveled edges.

Also, they will be available in a few colors, but Apple will only make three rose gold headsets a week so they'll be back ordered for weeks. This will somehow be your fault. No, a black, silver, or white one won't be good enough!

(gently caress working anywhere near sales during a new iPhone launch.)

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Apple AR is going to be Apple TV, again. :toot:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'd put it in the same category as the Apple Car- they probably have someone working on it just because they're huge and dedicating a bunch of people to exploratory projects doesn't hurt them, but there's no reason to think it'll show up anytime soon.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I'm gonna guess that we're going to see a lot more constellation stuff for Rift. It's computer vision with leds, they've done the hard part already and you could potentially add tracking to anything for dirt cheap.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Fooz posted:

I'm gonna guess that we're going to see a lot more constellation stuff for Rift. It's computer vision with leds, they've done the hard part already and you could potentially add tracking to anything for dirt cheap.

Well yes and no. Anything that is going to be tracked has to be baked into the SDK. One of the benefits of the lighthouse is the devices are self reporting, so they, in theory, could just work out the gate, with no assistance needed from valve, whereas Oculus would need to have an approval and then build process for new peripheral support. Also because of the nature of Lighthouse you can have twenty self reporting devices and other than possible backup due to positional reporting, wouldn't really see a performance impact. But because constellation requires on board processing of the images, if you add ten peripherals to a scene it might add up to a performance cost on the PC.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

The one thing I still find kind of amazing with Constellation, is how I can move the cameras around and for the most part, never have to recalibrate (and how much tracking it seems to have to the sides of where the cameras are facing.) In areas where the lighthouses do give me a little occlusion trouble, the cameras seem to still somehow see touch. Its pretty crazy.

Also if you guys jump on the V Discord channel, you can grab the latest "Private" V Beta that adds full Oculus Touch support, Netflix/Hulu/Amazon, Fixes for Elite (no more uncontrolled roll!) and a bunch of other goodies.

Please don't repost the link to the build elsewhere as we want mainly people that are able to provide feedback through Discord mainly to use it and not the mass public just yet.

Still working on OpenGL and there is a keyboard bug in the virtual keyboard when typing on some input fields like searching in youtube (use the physical keyboard if you can't get the virtual one up) but thats all still being worked on. The team really did make a lot of progress in the past few months.

Elite + Netflix is quite a good time when running those Scan missions. :vrfrog:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SEKCobra posted:

H3VR tutorial video seems quite outdated, he seems to have changed the gun interactions to click and slide. Also some safeties just don't seem to work. Still hasn't fixed the AUG either.

Rec Room is amazing holy gently caress.

darn, I didn't realize about the tutorials. Also....the safeties thing, I noticed that was an issue consistently with one hand. Switch to the other and try it out

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Inside out tracking is coming fast. Tracking cameras and lighthouses are gonna go away sooner than you think.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

EdEddnEddy posted:

The one thing I still find kind of amazing with Constellation, is how I can move the cameras around and for the most part, never have to recalibrate (and how much tracking it seems to have to the sides of where the cameras are facing.) In areas where the lighthouses do give me a little occlusion trouble, the cameras seem to still somehow see touch. Its pretty crazy.

Also if you guys jump on the V Discord channel, you can grab the latest "Private" V Beta that adds full Oculus Touch support, Netflix/Hulu/Amazon, Fixes for Elite (no more uncontrolled roll!) and a bunch of other goodies.

Please don't repost the link to the build elsewhere as we want mainly people that are able to provide feedback through Discord mainly to use it and not the mass public just yet.

Still working on OpenGL and there is a keyboard bug in the virtual keyboard when typing on some input fields like searching in youtube (use the physical keyboard if you can't get the virtual one up) but thats all still being worked on. The team really did make a lot of progress in the past few months.

Elite + Netflix is quite a good time when running those Scan missions. :vrfrog:

Is there any ETA for a SteamVR release? Also do you know if there is any Discord server for Goon VR users not related to Hello V?

Also if people haven't bought Quell 4D yet, it's currently on sale on Steam at 25% off and it's completely amazing.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
AFAIK, inside-out still doesn't have a solution for hand tracking, unless something has come to light that I (and the thread) have missed.

Until then, you can pry my Touch from my cold, dead hands.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Info coming out slowly: https://betanews.com/2017/03/02/microsoft-renames-windows-holographic-mixed-reality/

Edit: Here is the MS page with info: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-...ntent=hmdlineup

TomR fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 7, 2017

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

iceaim posted:

Is there any ETA for a SteamVR release? Also do you know if there is any Discord server for Goon VR users not related to Hello V?

Also if people haven't bought Quell 4D yet, it's currently on sale on Steam at 25% off and it's completely amazing.

SteamVR is still in the works, and apparently nobody uses the VR Goons Discord for whatever reason. (Discord also works in V, Voice Chat even!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Knifegrab posted:

At this point I think switching to a lighthouse system would basically mean embracing SteamVR, so Oculus is pretty unlikely to do it as it would mean basically becoming a hardware manufacturer instead of an ecosystem, and that's not what Facebook wants.