Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Red Bones posted:

The spore creature creator had some really impressive procedurally generated movement animation that I'm sure was pretty impressive from a programming/animation standpoint but yeah that game was a crippling disappointment, poor Will Wright. I actually really like the cell stage though - scope-wise and feature-wise, it's a really nice, fully realised little top down microbe game. It's probably the best part of that whole game, honestly.

gently caress Will Wright. Yeah, he's good and coming up with concepts for sandboxes. But fundamental aspects of game design seem to be beyond him. It seems like he's always banked on the idea that fun will be an emergent property of the systems he creates, but he never bothers to make systems that foster rewarding gameplay loops.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I love character creators in games. I can't start a new save on a souls game without spending 90 minutes making them look just perfectly hosed up.

I think I spent more time making characters in Souls Calibur than actually fighting.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

tap my mountain posted:

I love character creators in games. I can't start a new save on a souls game without spending 90 minutes making them look just perfectly hosed up.

I've never played a Souls game but I've seen a lot of videos and GIFs of Souls games and there's never a face to be seen. Only helmets.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

This is a genuinely insane 3 months for gaming in general. There are multiple GotY contenders and lots of great games all shoved into a time frame that is utterly absurd.

The hits haven't stopped personally since like September 2015. I've bought new release games at a pace of like once a month since that have all been amazing

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lobok posted:

I've never played a Souls game but I've seen a lot of videos and GIFs of Souls games and there's never a face to be seen. Only helmets.

I will not wear a helmet if I'm particularly fond of my creation so I can at them on elevators

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Lobok posted:

Lol just lol if you wear armor in Dark Souls.

^^^this guy gets it

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Palpek posted:

Is Wildlands actually any good though?

judging from the beta I played it's definitely the least unique or interesting game released in the ones released from January up until the mass effect/persona double whammy at the tail end of March. Quite frankly I don't give a poo poo because it doesn't matter if Ubi games perform or get rated well, they'll just keep making the same copy and paste poo poo. After Zelda and Horizon I don't even think the new AC game will be very engaging since even Zelda does the climbing gimmick far better.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Nioh has an option to turn off helmets but it means you miss out on this kind of thing

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Slime Rancher just pushed out a new update that adds a new zone

The Ancient Ruins is a new zone located between the Moss Blanket and Indigo Quarry. It contains a new slime, resource, and other secrets to discover. This zone will also serve as the key to accessing the Glass Desert in a future update. The Ancient Ruins is very different form other zones in Slime Rancher and ranchers can easily get lost within its twisting passages if they're not careful. Travel safely!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Palpek posted:

Is Wildlands actually any good though?

Not that I know of. But if it came out like a few months from now it might get a little more attention by virtue of being an open world game with a gimmick (multiplayer, in this case). Right now there's no way it doesn't get buried under Horizon and especially Zelda. Even Nier Automata is (sort of) an open world game and leagues better.

MinibarMatchman posted:

judging from the beta I played it's definitely the least unique or interesting game released in the ones released from January up until the mass effect/persona double whammy at the tail end of March. Quite frankly I don't give a poo poo because it doesn't matter if Ubi games perform or get rated well, they'll just keep making the same copy and paste poo poo. After Zelda and Horizon I don't even think the new AC game will be very engaging since even Zelda does the climbing gimmick far better.

I hope someone at Ubisoft plays Horizon and takes notes because Guerrilla did Ubisoft's formula way better than they ever have and it probably comes down to making the core gameplay loop out of pure joy. Assassin's Creed games, for example, love to give you a bunch of gadgets that you never need to use because all you really have to do is walk up and stab dudes, then climb on stuff to get away. Horizon gives you a bunch of gadgets but you end up actually needing to use most of them (the only reason it isn't "all" is because some of them have similar purposes but do them in different ways so it's up to you which one you like to use more). That's so much more fun!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Narc!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Not much of a secret now is it

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
My good luck with new releases using gamefly has finally run out and I didn't get shipped Nier Automata today. I'm trying to fight the impulse to buy it since 90% of the time I beat a game once and never touch it again and I still have two weeks before my account is billed again

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

haveblue posted:

I was obligated to play manshep because he embodies two Marks (VA and custom face) and my name is also Mark.

I wonder what would be a bigger mindfuck to stumble into for the first time unspoiled during some late-night gaming, being named Gary and playing through the clone vault in Fallout 3 or being named Isaac and fighting Mom in The Binding of Isaac.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

If you named your kid Aeris or Rinoa, would you tell them where it's from, and risk your kid losing all respect for you?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Jay Rust posted:

If you named your kid Aeris or Rinoa, would you tell them where it's from, and risk your kid losing all respect for you?

One Google search and the respect goes away anyway. Might as well be up front about it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
"so, uh, kid. i'm sorry. our last name is maverick. i just had to go for it"

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

The Colonel posted:

"so, uh, kid. i'm sorry. our last name is maverick. i just had to go for it"

Tell em grandpappy was good at cards

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Guy Mann posted:

I wonder what would be a bigger mindfuck to stumble into for the first time unspoiled during some late-night gaming, being named Gary and playing through the clone vault in Fallout 3 or being named Isaac and fighting Mom in The Binding of Isaac.

Being named Shaun and playing Heavy Rain.

:byodood: SHAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUN

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Ubisoft must not have much faith in Wildlands because I've never even heard of it and they don't usually let a game being bad get in the way of them pushing it

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think it was their big reveal at their E3 conference last year

e: in 2015. Last year's big reveal was...steep

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I will probably play Wildlands because my friends will want to. These're the friends that aren't busy playing Nioh/Nier/HZD/any of the other GOTY contenders that're already out, so they have plenty of time to bug me to play Wildlands with them. :smith:

I should probably get new friends

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Play multiplayer games with your friends, it's a guaranteed good time.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Speaking of which, how's For Honor doing?

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

Play multiplayer games with your friends, it's a guaranteed good time.

Oh yeah, for sure. We had a blast with The Division (until end game at launch, anyway). I'm just bummed because Wildlands seems shallow compared to what it could be.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

exquisite tea posted:

I can't tell you how many Shepards I liquefied in ME1 after spending 30 minutes in the character creator getting everything perfect, only for them to have some horrible stank rear end face for the big dramatic reveal in the opening moments of the game.

Here's Space Lady Shepard

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

precision posted:

Ubisoft must not have much faith in Wildlands because I've never even heard of it and they don't usually let a game being bad get in the way of them pushing it
It's advertised on every second gaming site so no.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Palpek posted:

It's advertised on every second gaming site so no.

ITT people with AdBlock discuss the marketing they've seen

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Like, cutscene "movies" for it are on loving Amazon Prime. It's everywhere.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

My uncle named one of his kids Leia but pronounced differently to provide probably not-at-all effective cover.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

My name's Smokey but I really feel bad for my sister, And The Bandit.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I guess the trick is to pick video game characters with normal sounding names, like Leon/Kyle/Gladiolus

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

my great grandson, Nissin Cupnoodle

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yeah well I'm a hippie so Cloud and Squall are A-OK

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Motto posted:

My uncle named one of his kids Leia but pronounced differently to provide probably not-at-all effective cover.

Just spell it Leah

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Video game name aren't nearly as bad as naming your daughter Reagan

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
My girlfriend suggested a name for our hypothetical daughter that is a normal name but also the name of a video game character tho she is unaware of that fact

The name is not Cindy

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
What happened is that I did not know it was Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands. I knew there was a new Tom Clancy game, I just had no idea it was subtitled Wildlands and thought everyone was talking about some totally new IP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I seen a kid named Mario and jfc the nerve of those parents

• Locked thread