Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
One of my few complaints about this game is the rain. Its a great effect, but so much poo poo you're trying to do can be completely blocked by raining. Need to climb something? Nope. Need to transport a fire for a quest? Nope, not happening. And the real dick move is, you can't even use a campfire to pass time; the fires go out in the rain. That's really lovely. So you have to leave and go find some Inn somewhere far away just to pass time and come back to where you were? Why nintendo?

Please tell me there's a song of storms power or some kind of fire-proof campfire eventually. Even if you're trying to transport the blue flame for a quest, the rain puts it out. That's dumb. At the very least, blue fire should be immune to rain. I wouldn't mind if just normal flames went out as much.

And the climbing penalty for rain, like, its realistic, but its too punishing. Its basically "you're not getting up this until it stops". That's just annoying. Or is there like a "rainproof" elixir?

Loopoo posted:

I made a 5-apple thing once and it only sold for 60 rupees.

Yeah 5 meats or mushroom is more, but still 60 rupees is pretty good for how easy apples are to come by in numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

To pass time in the rain you should find a tree or some other shelter, light a fire under it and pass the time with that.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

If you fly down from karikiko to the obvious shrines in the swamp one Zora will tell you to check out the prince at the start of the road to Zora town.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Your Computer posted:

I've been wondering, what's the "intended" route in this game? I've been to a lot of really terrifying areas (central hyrule, mount lanayru, that horrible tower with all the lightning wizzrobes and black/yellow lizalfos) and fought a lot of stuff I have no business fighting with like 4 hearts and a 12 dmg sword. I went to Kakariko pretty early, as well as the Hateno lab but then I just kinda went all over the place after that. I think I read someone in this thread suggesting Zora -> Gerudo -> ??? I can't really remember.
Zora def feels like the first area they want you go to given its proximity to Kakariko. Given that though, Goron would be second since it's like two regions over but gently caress that I'm not going up to Death Mountain that early I'll die

My plan is to see the Zoras and then just make my way around the map clockwise hitting every race on the way. I think this gonna wind up me making me visit the Lost Woods last but that seems appropriate given what I hear is there

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
yeah there are a lot of little tent/lean-to structures floating around in the woods, just pop down under one of those and start a fire to pass time during rain if it's an issue.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Your Computer posted:

The 30th anniversary 8-bit original Zelda amiibo. Aka. good loving luck :negative:

Are hey rare? Because my local Walmart is clearancing them for $6

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Are hey rare? Because my local Walmart is clearancing them for $6

I looked all over the place and couldn't find any, not even any sellers on amazon that ship to my country. In fact, I'm starting to wonder if they were just never sold here in the first place :(

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Your Computer posted:

I've been wondering, what's the "intended" route in this game? I've been to a lot of really terrifying areas (central hyrule, mount lanayru, that horrible tower with all the lightning wizzrobes and black/yellow lizalfos) and fought a lot of stuff I have no business fighting with like 4 hearts and a 12 dmg sword. I went to Kakariko pretty early, as well as the Hateno lab but then I just kinda went all over the place after that. I think I read someone in this thread suggesting Zora -> Gerudo -> ??? I can't really remember.

Yeah I wandered to my heart's content and the point at which I decided I had gone too far was "these monsters, or in the case of stumbling into the base of Mount Lanayru a giant centaur, are way too hard to fight with these lovely weapons and the margin for error is non existent so I'm going elsewhere." Honestly that's a super pleasant way to play the game. The only places this has happened to me so far are going too far north in Central Hyrule, Hatano beach and the surrounding beaches, and the entrance to Mount Lanayru. With those places as my boundaries that was still a massive area to explore to start the game off.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
You don't lose stamina on a cliff face of you don't move, so if it starts raining just stop climbing and go take a dump or something

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I sorta hate this game making me want more amiibo. I only got the wolf link one because of TPHD and a free Sheik from a raffle...

Their master plan maybe???

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Is there anyway to see the current durability level of a weapon/bow/shield?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Okay, I'm kinda at my wits end here. I am at the Akalla Tower, the one surrounded by dark goop. I have killed every Bokoblin on the premises, but I absolutely cannot figure out how I am intended to climb this loving tower. The goop seems to block me at every turn. I thought I had found a way to get rid of the goop when I spotted an eyeball in the bars of the prison, but nope! That just knocks down a beam that lets me get further inside! I have searched high and low, but I cannot figure out what the gently caress I am supposed to do here.

I don't want to know the exact answer, just... some guidance, maybe. For example; am I supposed to make the goop go away, or somehow get around the goop?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
climb

also I think I just tanked my way through the malice at one point

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Spergatory posted:

Okay, I'm kinda at my wits end here. I am at the Akalla Tower, the one surrounded by dark goop. I have killed every Bokoblin on the premises, but I absolutely cannot figure out how I am intended to climb this loving tower. The goop seems to block me at every turn. I thought I had found a way to get rid of the goop when I spotted an eyeball in the bars of the prison, but nope! That just knocks down a beam that lets me get further inside! I have searched high and low, but I cannot figure out what the gently caress I am supposed to do here.

I don't want to know the exact answer, just... some guidance, maybe. For example; am I supposed to make the goop go away, or somehow get around the goop?

There are a few places where you can jump to a safe climbing spot. For example, in one area, there's a half-collapsed arch where you can climb up it to jump/glide to the tower itself.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Spergatory posted:

Check your surroundings around the tower.

I did it by using the nearby stone pillars and just flying over the level of goop that was on the tower and climbed up from there. :v:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

When/how do ores respawn? Is it on an in-game timer, real-life timer, something else? I've marked some good ore spots on my map but I don't know how often I should be going back to check them.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I just realized that the usual menagerie of Zelda items aren't really in this game. I won't be getting a hookshot will I :cry:

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Just thinking about the amount of effort involved in getting off work, going to the store, and cooking dinner makes me want to try Soylent.

Stuff getting in the way of ma Zelda and Switch. :moonrio:

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Spergatory posted:

Theres a goopy eye you can kill that when t dies will drop a metal bar you can magnesis around as a bridge

Jejoma
Nov 5, 2008
So I'm at the fight against Blightwater, and I'm given the hint "If only you could use those ice blocks against it," and yet they can't be parried or batted back at him. I don't get it.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
Is it worth it to buy the Soldier's Armor from Hateno village?

I see the chest piece isn't necessary since the Champion's Tunic has better defense, so the helmet and greaves would be enough.

Pollyanna posted:

I just realized that the usual menagerie of Zelda items aren't really in this game. I won't be getting a hookshot will I :cry:
It's a tad disappointing because combining a hookshot with the paraglider would give travel a real Just Cause feel.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Ohtsam posted:

Theres a goopy eye you can kill that when t dies will drop a metal bar you can magnesis around as a bridge

Haha, holy poo poo. I knew about that, but I didn't know it was magnetic. I actually ended up solving it by kicking off the half-broken arch and grabbing the other side Prince of Persia style, climbing up and then gliding above the goop.

I love it when puzzles have multiple solutions!

In other news, what began as cowardice has now solidified into a legit playstyle. I am Ninja. My sneaking suit is on 90% of the time and most of my kills are stealth. I watch, I wait, I plan my routes. I don't bother with footpaths; I climb walls and scale sheer cliffs. I can come from anywhere, and you won't know it until my sword is already lodged up your rear end. Game rules. :ninja:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

Seeing what new items I get underway has been probably my #1 favorite thing about the (linear) Zelda games, so I'm also kinda sad about this....

...on the other hand who needs a hookshoot when you can climb literally any surface including ones that are steeper than 90 degrees :v: And glide, and do all kinds of hilarious stuff with the physics engine, and, and..

Inverness posted:

It's a tad disappointing because combining a hookshot with the paraglider would give travel a real Just Cause feel.

This is true though, it would be extremely cool. DLC, you know what to do :pray:

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

Jejoma posted:

So I'm at the fight against Blightwater, and I'm given the hint "If only you could use those ice blocks against it," and yet they can't be parried or batted back at him. I don't get it.

Stasis?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Spergatory posted:

Haha, holy poo poo. I knew about that, but I didn't know it was magnetic. I actually ended up solving it by kicking off the half-broken arch and grabbing the other side Prince of Persia style, climbing up and then gliding above the goop.

I love it when puzzles have multiple solutions!

In other news, what began as cowardice has now solidified into a legit playstyle. I am Ninja. My sneaking suit is on 90% of the time and most of my kills are stealth. I watch, I wait, I plan my routes. I don't bother with footpaths; I climb walls and scale sheer cliffs. I can come from anywhere, and you won't know it until my sword is already lodged up your rear end. Game rules. :ninja:

That is cool. I hadn't thought to play it like Assassin's Creed. I mean, yeah, the game wants you to try a few tricks and ways to do things but to know you can play the whole game in that way is a testament to how forward thinking the devs are.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Does a korok appear or something special happen if you light all the torches in Hateno with the blue flame? It's interesting that people comment on this thing just outside the village if you run around with a lit torch (OMG YOU HAVE THE BLUE FLAME WE ALL KNOW ABOUT) but only one person says anything about the loving soul stealing demon statue that's five feet within the gates.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 6, 2017

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

So is this the worst Zelda game yet

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

al-azad posted:

Does a korok appear or something special happen if you light all the torches in Hateno with the blue flame? It's interesting that people comment on this thing just outside the village if you run around with a lit torch (OMG YOU HAVE THE BLUE FLAME WE ALL KNOW ABOUT) but only one person says anything about the loving soul stealing demon statue that's five feet within the gates.

I ran around there for like an hour looking for any torches I had missed, so I think I got them all and nothing happened :( Maybe I didn't look hard enough and a couple are hidden?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Kirios posted:

So is this the worst Zelda game yet

I think Skyward Sword has broken the "the last Zelda is always the worst" chain. Although nostalgia is a powerful thing and who knows what people will say looking back on it 10 years later playing it in VR with Vive controllers on Dolphin emulators.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Ice Fist posted:

Is there anyway to see the current durability level of a weapon/bow/shield?

There's no granular number to look at but there are icon and states to it. If there's a glinting in the corner of the icon, it's brand new. If the entire item is blinking red, it's about to break. Other than that, you're depending on the item's description to hint at its durability (i.e. bone arms will say they're brittle or whatever while stuff like Knight's Shield will promote it's durability).

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm watching someone starting their playthrough and I want them to zoom in on Death Mountain so badly :allears: That was the biggest :stare: moment for me in any game in a looooong time.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

HOLY poo poo the first time you properly see the giant divine beast camel. what a moment. this game doubles down on the whole 'shadow of the colossus' awe-inspiring vibe

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
So a big wind kicks up right when I try to cook Hyrule Herb for the first time to improve its efficacy, the herb lights on fire, blows away in the wind, catches a bunch of grass on fire, gets caught in the updraft, lands in some more grass, starts a massive forest fire, and the fire gets spread by the wind right into a Bokoblin camp, where it kills all of them.

Game of the year.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
How exactly are you supposed to use the Sheikah Sensor? I turned it off immediately when I got it because the constant beeping ruined ~my immersion~, but I'm trying to use the upgraded version to find things now and the sensor just seems... random. Is mine broken? From the description it sounds like it will beep faster if you're going in the right direction, but even when I'm going in a straight line it will rapidly change.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Why does Link shoot the bow all weird

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Your Computer posted:

How exactly are you supposed to use the Sheikah Sensor? I turned it off immediately when I got it because the constant beeping ruined ~my immersion~, but I'm trying to use the upgraded version to find things now and the sensor just seems... random. Is mine broken? From the description it sounds like it will beep faster if you're going in the right direction, but even when I'm going in a straight line it will rapidly change.

You turn in a direction until the sensor grows and then you start going in that direction. If there's multiple resources it'll freak out a bit because you're surrounded by them. It gets even squirrelly when your target are living things that move around.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Your Computer posted:

If I had to guess I'd say it tracks whatever's closest and you're in a place with a bunch of stuff so it updates what it's pointing you to

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Your Computer posted:

It's also based at least a little bit on proximity. The closer you are, the more it'll beep, and it won't beep at all if you're nowhere near what you're tracking. So sometimes if you're going in a straight line and it starts to slow down, you might have passed it or somehow gotten farther away.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

ComposerGuy posted:

I wish they hadn't done the timeline at all, honestly. It feels like, to someone like me who played the original back in the 80s, that they just went "OK, yeah, so all the games pre-OoT? gently caress them, they're off on their own and can stay there and we're just gonna pretend they aren't a thing" and most of the younger fans seem to think that's cool and good.

Yeah? Well gently caress you kids on my lawn! I'll put this game wherever I drat well please!

I'm convinced they made the compendium to make sperglords stfu about theorems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Sheikah Stone has a really bad introduction because there are 4 shrines right after you get it all bunched together but at different heights so any sane person shuts the drat thing off immediately.