Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
itt we are lectured on about car cops by a bicycling autist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ate all the Oreos posted:

brakes should be able to stop a car that has its engine going full throttle

all cars need massive drum brakes :colbert:

i had a lovely clunker where the engine would randomly accelerate because the cruise control cable randomly kept pulling it open even when it wasn't engaged

jamming on the brakes worked well enough to clamp it shut as i would start to randomly accelerate down the highway

got the cable just snipped since goddamn that sucked

at least the brake line didn't rot a hole in it until a year later

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah its funny we're talking about the software being poo poo when the hardware is probably even more poo poo.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

FrozenVent posted:

anybody who goes "duuuuuh the user should have kept their cool and refered to the manual when the poo poo hit the fan in a danger-to-life situation" is a computer toucher who needs to go out more

as somebody who's been in retarded danger-to-life situations with very loving clear procedures, i can assure you it's a great feeling when your brain shits your pants and does the neurological equivalent of a blue screen of death

When you're learning to fly a plane, one of the major parts of training is practicing emergency situations and recoveryfrom those states.When you are reevaluated every couple of years,your knowledge of handling situations like stalls and engine failures is tested.

Some drivers Ed schools also teach how to recover from situations like skids, slides and spins . I don't believe those are required part of the driving test anywhere in the USA, though they may be in other countries.

I wouldn't have thought " you should be aware of emergency procedures in your car and even practice them occasionally" would be such a controversial opinion, but I suppose it's difficult for people to acknowledge that they are extremely unprepared for a life-threatening emergency in the vehicle they use every day

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
Yeah, and what if the steering wheel comes off in your hands? Are you prepared for that, smart guy?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

ok, it didn't. what now? how do you save yourself?

if you can't answer that, you shouldn't be driving. (executing the correct behavior under stress is another question).

e: autocorrect

press the clutch

lol if your car doesn't have one

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Motorcycles have four separate ways of removing power from the rear wheel (clutch, gearbox, ignition switch, handlebar kill switch) , making them the safest class of vehicle

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

Motorcycles have four separate ways of removing power from the rear wheel (clutch, gearbox, ignition switch, handlebar kill switch) , making them the safest class of vehicle

bitch hoverboards are thwe ssafest you just stepp off

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Endless Mike posted:

press the clutch

lol if yours does :twisted:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

hobbesmaster posted:

or you know, put the gear selector in neutral

"yeah I see your shirt feeding into the belt but I have to hold this button for the full five seconds because some dipshit at Toyota thought that made sense sorry"

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

also you should have known better than to wear loose clothing around machinery :smuggo:

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

lol at the hot rod seal team sixers lecturing about keeping they cool in the cabin of runaway infernal combustion death machines and posting about it with punctuation while all backed up in a pedant corner because they appealing to the authority of correctness on a lazy typing compute forum

just lmao

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Endless Mike posted:

press the clutch

lol if your car requires gear janitoring

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Bulgakov posted:

infernal combustion death machines

NICE!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Whenever I'm posting with punctuation it's because I'm using the voice typing on my phone and letting it figure everything out, which is significantly lazier then even typing without caps and punctuation on a little keyboard

owned

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

lol snap already trading below its ipo price

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

wasn't the IPO price 17?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
yeah. i think qirex means below where the stock immediately jumped to post ipo.

once again i will ask. if you could sell your shares for 24 why the gently caress would you do so at 17 and let some well-connected rear end in a top hat who is first in line to your offering turn around and make 7 bucks per share off of you?

you pour years of your life into your company and literally let some nobody take 7/17 = 41% (!!) of the money, for nothing...

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

for employees, is the "you can't sell within the first X days" thing binding?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I don't think anyone has poured years of their life into Snapchat

the front end is a second-year CS project and the back end is drag-and-drop AWS services

how many billions again?

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

FrozenVent posted:

i'd probably assume it's a problem with the pedal and kick at it

also brakes

going to neutral and or shutting off the engine would be like 30 seconds later and i'd be dead by then

the cool unintuitive thing about brakes is that better brakes mean you can drive faster

Sagebrush posted:

When you're learning to fly a plane, one of the major parts of training is practicing emergency situations and recoveryfrom those states.When you are reevaluated every couple of years,your knowledge of handling situations like stalls and engine failures is tested.

Some drivers Ed schools also teach how to recover from situations like skids, slides and spins . I don't believe those are required part of the driving test anywhere in the USA, though they may be in other countries.

I wouldn't have thought " you should be aware of emergency procedures in your car and even practice them occasionally" would be such a controversial opinion, but I suppose it's difficult for people to acknowledge that they are extremely unprepared for a life-threatening emergency in the vehicle they use every day

my wife had her canadian license, and recently got one in CA. it took a couple years of graduated tests, coursework and licenses to get her full canadian license, but it doesnt count for anything in the us. she took a short refresher to get ready for the driving test here and they just don't cover parallel parking, said it didn't matter on the test. she failed the parallel parking part by hitting the curb but still passed the whole test the first try. it should really be a lot harder to get a license in the US.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Sagebrush posted:

a sensible person reading your first two paragraphs would assume you are arguing for a mandatory emergency preparedness section on driving tests, perhaps with retests every few years. somehow instead you got to "caveat emptor, bitches"

also as dumb as it may sound, a panicky person slamming on their brakes with their foot off the accelerator may not even realize for several seconds that their car is still accelerating. they might initially just assume their brakes aren't working very well and press even harder

fishmech posted:

lol if your car requires gear janitoring

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Lutha Mahtin posted:

wasn't the IPO price 17?

that was the price for investors with standing agreements to actually get the first stock, 24 is the effective first price because that's what the stock was available to buy at when trading started.

well 23.80, which was the price the first on-the-market trade happened at.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

lampey posted:

she took a short refresher to get ready for the driving test here and they just don't cover parallel parking, said it didn't matter on the test. she failed the parallel parking part by hitting the curb but still passed the whole test the first try. it should really be a lot harder to get a license in the US.

in southern CA parallel parking probably doesn't matter. in NYC hitting the curb is instant fail.

i heard that in spain you can fail the test for not keeping your hands at 10 and 2 even while making a turn

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
fyi "canada's worst driver" is on netflix if y'all wanna chortle at worse drivers than u

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

JawnV6 posted:

fyi "canada's worst driver" is on netflix if y'all wanna chortle at worse drivers than u

there are already hundreds of hours of Russian dash cameras on the YouTubes

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

JawnV6 posted:

the thing i like about this show is they also have technically skilled but completely amoral thrill seekers. the latter type of bad driver cause a lot of accidents.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
sounds to me like you're letting those amoral thrillseekers off the hook if they're just unintentional random acts of chance "accidents"

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
no i'm not....?

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
i can't drive 55

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

how do you put a motorcycle into neutral with just the transmission when the accelerator is pinned on a highway? i think even on my car the synchros are going to pull the transmission into gear harder than i can pull it out of gear, although i'm not going to try

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cold on a Cob posted:

the thing i like about this show is they also have technically skilled but completely amoral thrill seekers. the latter type of bad driver cause a lot of accidents.

i like that it's genuinely about education and not just making fun of lovely drivers. the people on the show who care about what they're doing get a lot of good instruction and become good drivers.

also interesting how it always seems to break down into about 1/3 amoral thrill seekers, who are capable of driving well but choose not to; 1/3 people who are well-intentioned but clueless, and generally improve a lot; and 1/3 people with serious medical problems (half blind, emotionally disturbed, etc) who absolutely should not be driving

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

a sensible person reading your first two paragraphs would assume you are arguing for a mandatory emergency preparedness section on driving tests, perhaps with retests every few years. somehow instead you got to "caveat emptor, bitches"

nah, it's both. i would love for driving tests to have an emergency preparedness section and mandatory retests every 5 years. i also think it's completely reckless and self-centered to get in a car and drive it with no idea of how to respond to common emergencies (skids, spins, lost brakes, stuck brakes, lost power, stuck throttle at least). it's not just your own dumb rear end on the line, it's everyone else's on the road too.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

yeah. i think qirex means below where the stock immediately jumped to post ipo.

once again i will ask. if you could sell your shares for 24 why the gently caress would you do so at 17 and let some well-connected rear end in a top hat who is first in line to your offering turn around and make 7 bucks per share off of you?

you pour years of your life into your company and literally let some nobody take 7/17 = 41% (!!) of the money, for nothing...

*Borat voice* my life

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hifi posted:

how do you put a motorcycle into neutral with just the transmission when the accelerator is pinned on a highway? i think even on my car the synchros are going to pull the transmission into gear harder than i can pull it out of gear, although i'm not going to try

congration! you have responded correctly to the motorcycle shibboleth and as such can be a certified Cool Guy

(it's gonna be almost impossible to get an under-power bike out of gear without using the clutch, because it's a sequential transmission and because of neutral's place as a half-click between first and second gear. it's theoretically possible but you're probably gonna lock the wheel downshifting or over-rev and blow the engine first).

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Tokamak posted:

my dog janet, peed on the carpet again

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
dude it's a motorcycle, you just eject early so you're clear of the crash scene. it's why they don't have safety belts and why you shouldn't use them in cars either.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
i just fedex my telepresence robot to wherever i need to be

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
has a telepresence robot run over and killed anyone yet?

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

infernal machines posted:

it's also like a button is not a physical kill switch, its input is still mediated by the ecu. so assuming your long press/short press/tapping out S-O-S on the thing is actually going to shut off the car when something has already bugged out in your ECU is a leap of faith.

this electric dragster can be pretty temperamental so they gave it a kill switch:

a big white handle that you pull out and immediately opens the circuit and cuts off power to the motor. it doesn't need to be that dangerously accessible in a regular car, and it would require serious driver training to be effective (I can't imagine it could be ethically taught in any other way than a simulator), but you can do a big fuckoff panic switch

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

its not like mechanical ignitions are idiot proof either. GM ones had known problems where they caught on fire or would get worn to the point that the key could just fall out and the car would keep running. and mechanical throttle systems have failed plenty of times in ways that result in the car stuck wide open. cars are big heavy murder missiles

even a runaway diesel feeding on its own lubricant (which you won't stop even with direct throttle control) can be stopped by closing the air intake

FrozenVent posted:

every time i get in a friend's car or a rental car, i make sure to read the owners manual cover to cover before putting the key in the ignition

first rental prius I drove had a little cardboard cheat sheet with the full bullshit startup procedure. it really is a lot like turning a big smartphone with a weird OS on and off, and I can never reliably get the sequence right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cold on a Cob posted:

has a telepresence robot run over and killed anyone yet?

almost

• Locked thread