Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Collateral Damage posted:

The whole "3d printing a house" isn't a terrible idea, but the design they used to showcase it is stupid as gently caress. Curved walls suck.

The device is a giant compass. Curved walls are thing it can do particularly well.

The floorplan of their demo hut still sucks tho.

Why do you not like curved walls? The difficulty in decorating around them, or upkeeping them? I can think of a bunch of ways to appropriate them in the face of the former, but don't know enough about the latter to comment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Are couches curved?

Are beds curved?

Are hanging picture frames curved?!

Holy poo poo, is it that hard to understand?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’ll just hang this picture on the wall.

…gently caress

I’ll just push this desk up against the wall.

…gently caress

I’ll just install these blinds.

…gently caress

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Eikre posted:

The device is a giant compass. Curved walls are thing it can do particularly well.

The floorplan of their demo hut still sucks tho.

Why do you not like curved walls? The difficulty in decorating around them, or upkeeping them? I can think of a bunch of ways to appropriate them in the face of the former, but don't know enough about the latter to comment.

A round house utilizes less of the available lot :shrug:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Round houses are only good if they are also restaurants and spin

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Lemme just buy a round lot.

…gently caress

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Scorpio: Say, before we continue our tour would you mind hanging my coat up on the wall, please?

Homer: Hmm... mm-mm, lets see um... oh, no. Well, uh...

Scorpio: ( laughing)
Relax, Homer. At Globex, we don't believe in walls.

Matter of fact, I didn't even give you my coat.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Platystemon posted:

Lemme just buy a round lot.

…gently caress

I spent a lot of time attempting to master the dark magicks of circle packing. It was not a good time, it's a forbidden knowledge that was not meant for humans to comprehend

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

DrBouvenstein posted:

Good lord, I need to find the previous owner of my home and smack him.

He did almost nothing right with any of his projects. The bathroom is the worse thing...one of these days I'll take pictures of everything in there to post here (I think I've done a few, but almost every inch has something wrong, I swear.)

But today, it's the half set of stairs leading from our entrance to the basement. My GF is home today and we talked about ripping up a crummy rug that was on them and then just re-painting them, since some paint is chipping/peeling off the edges of the stairs.

Here's what it looks like post rug (and also post-caulk, since there were some LARGE gaps, according to her, which probably also contributed to the massive drafts/coldness we always felt.):

Like...holy poo poo, how loving lazy are you that you avoid what is probably a whopping 2 extra minutes of painting because you're going to put a rug down? A rug that, I might add, was not properly installed, either. It was just a regular hallways running rug that almost, sort-of, fit on those stairs. You see how the top riser is painted white? That's because the rug stopped short by like 6 inches. It was also just lazily stapled in a few times on each step and riser..no tackless strips, no padding, nothing.
Check for blood, I think you found a murder site.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Mercury Ballistic posted:

China has the empty buildings. Everywhere. They are building to keep the economy afloat and people employed, but it is all slowly falling apart and anyone who could sent their money to Vancouver or other such places.

There's even speculation that the rise in buttcoin value is due Chinese citizens seeking to sidestep new capital controls

Regarding luxury condos, it's simply more profitable for developers to add a few bucks of amenities like dog showers and granite counters, and then be able to double the price per unit, especially as people are willing to pay that.

Heck, here in Columbus we're experiencing the fastest growth in new apartment construction, and something like 77% of the units are already leased out within three months of completion.

DrBouvenstein posted:

He did almost nothing right with any of his projects. The bathroom is the worse thing...one of these days I'll take pictures of everything in there to post here (I think I've done a few, but almost every inch has something wrong, I swear.)

Honestly, if that's the worst you've got, I'd be counting my blessings. Some invisible unpainted area is much better than miswired outlets arcing, plumbing/exterior flashing screw ups or notching load bearing floor joists, all of which compromise the structure itself.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

DrBouvenstein posted:

He did almost nothing right with any of his projects.

The previous previous owner of my house was the type of guy who built things out of pieces of stuff he must have found on the side of the road. Every set of screws is mismatched.

The most recent previous owners were just too incompetent to be that malicious in their home improvement projects. The worst I had to deal with from them is off level towel racks and sloppy painting cut-ins.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
You should probably look out for loadbearing drywall

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Honestly, if that's the worst you've got, I'd be counting my blessings. Some invisible unpainted area is much better than miswired outlets arcing, plumbing/exterior flashing screw ups or notching load bearing floor joists, all of which compromise the structure itself.

Oh, it's not the worst by a long shot. As far as I know, nothing is bad electrically or structurally, at least. Some of the plumbing in the bathroom might be crummy, since everything else in there is so bad, though.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Are couches curved?

Are beds curved?

Are hanging picture frames curved?!

Holy poo poo, is it that hard to understand?

Houses have several other functions than as galley space for your various couches and picture-frames.

Exterior walls with lots of windows which wouldn't have lots of furniture pushed right up next to them, such as in living rooms, dining rooms, and breakfast nooks, can all be curved. Countertops and cabinets can be fabricated to install against curved walls. Bathtubs and entire-waterproof-rooms-as-showers feel fine next to curved walls. Indoor swimming pools and saunas can have curved walls. Spiral staircases can go in round turrets. Nobody gives a poo poo about the walls in a basement devoted to children, exercise equipment, or storage. And, notably, the most famous home office in human history is literally defined by its curved walls.

I've seen a lot of baleful quadrilateral floorplans. I don't see the inherent sin in gettin' your curve on.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Curved walls work if you have the money for wasted space and/or bespoke furniture.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Platystemon posted:

Curved walls work if you have the money for wasted space and/or bespoke furniture.

Right. Curved walls doesn't jive with "cheap and efficient permanent structure"
No disrespect intended to any yurt dwelling nomads.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

You should probably look out for loadbearing drywall

Honestly, I'm pretty certain this is the front half of my garage due to the termite damage.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

canyoneer posted:

Right. Curved walls doesn't jive with "cheap and efficient permanent structure"
No disrespect intended to any yurt dwelling nomads.

I'm offended anyway. Yurts are meant to be portable you insensitive clod.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Eikre posted:

Houses have several other functions than as galley space for your various couches and picture-frames.

Exterior walls with lots of windows which wouldn't have lots of furniture pushed right up next to them, such as in living rooms, dining rooms, and breakfast nooks, can all be curved. Countertops and cabinets can be fabricated to install against curved walls. Bathtubs and entire-waterproof-rooms-as-showers feel fine next to curved walls. Indoor swimming pools and saunas can have curved walls. Spiral staircases can go in round turrets. Nobody gives a poo poo about the walls in a basement devoted to children, exercise equipment, or storage. And, notably, the most famous home office in human history is literally defined by its curved walls.

I've seen a lot of baleful quadrilateral floorplans. I don't see the inherent sin in gettin' your curve on.
But in your floorplans is EVERY wall curved?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'll meet you 1/3 of the way, make the rooms hexagonal.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

endlessmonotony posted:

I'm offended anyway. Yurts are meant to be portable you insensitive clod.

nomadbro?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The odd curved feature wall or window can be a neat show of extravagance but I've worked on projects where everything or most things are curved and it's the worst. Trying to jam a huge cubicle farm inside some architect's amazing artistic vision is a nightmare. So much wasted and strange spaces you're paying rent on. Office layouts often change and since everything has to be custom fit into weird shapes it makes the space so much less flexible too. Big square shapes are tops.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

There needs to be a pintrest smiley.

there wolf fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 6, 2017

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

"Hope shelf" is such an appropriate name.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Polio Vax Scene posted:

"Hope shelf" is such an appropriate name.

You realise it actually spells “HOPE”, right?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Platystemon posted:

You realise it actually spells “HOPE”, right?

:thejoke:

and that you hope that rickety looking POS stays upright.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

are we allowed to emptyquote in this forum

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Instead of having that dumb limb connecting the P and E, they should have swapped they way the letters alternate (i.e.H & P on the right) or run the leg of the P down to the ground and across from there.

227/538: poor execution

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

There is only one definition of flat (excluding previous owners), but curves can come in infinite radii, plus if someone wants an elliptic curve, so it's going to be more expensive barring a magic 3D printer.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

DrBouvenstein posted:

But today, it's the half set of stairs leading from our entrance to the basement. My GF is home today and we talked about ripping up a crummy rug that was on them and then just re-painting them, since some paint is chipping/peeling off the edges of the stairs.

Here's what it looks like post rug (and also post-caulk, since there were some LARGE gaps, according to her, which probably also contributed to the massive drafts/coldness we always felt.):

Like...holy poo poo, how loving lazy are you that you avoid what is probably a whopping 2 extra minutes of painting because you're going to put a rug down? A rug that, I might add, was not properly installed, either. It was just a regular hallways running rug that almost, sort-of, fit on those stairs. You see how the top riser is painted white? That's because the rug stopped short by like 6 inches. It was also just lazily stapled in a few times on each step and riser..no tackless strips, no padding, nothing.

I've got you beat. None of the studs in my house were painted before they hung the drywall!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

there wolf posted:

Is it called a Hope Shelf because that's what's holding it together?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Collateral Damage posted:

Is it called a Hope Shelf because that's what's holding it together?

No, it's because you put all of your daughter's household things on it that she is saving for when she gets married and moves out. Then you "hope" she will find a nice contractor to marry who will take one look at it and offer to renovate your home out of pity in exchange for yor daughter's hand in marriage. The problem is that the only contractors that would not call off the engagement after looking at that provide the content for this thread.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

there wolf posted:

I really want to set this thing on fire.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

HardDiskD posted:

Careful, it was probably made of pallets

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sq5guqp7BIk

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007
Structural (All Purpose) Silicone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkLzqZzjJ8U

Was really hoping for a follow up vid on how his house suddenly had 200 gallons of water on the floor a couple months later. I'm sure it's coming.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

crazypeltast52 posted:

There is only one definition of flat (excluding previous owners), but curves can come in infinite radii, plus if someone wants an elliptic curve, so it's going to be more expensive barring a magic 3D printer.

Curves of infinite radii are flat, problem solved

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The only problem I see with that tank is the drat tank bottom. Resin covered plywood? D:

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

HardDiskD posted:

The sad thing is this is just one of several of these crappy letter shelves that came up on the specific buy/sell ap I'm using. The others were hung on the wall which is a little better, but only in the sense that it's feasible to put enough nails into each letter so the whole thing doesn't just fall over from a slight wind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Poisonlizard posted:

Structural (All Purpose) Silicone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkLzqZzjJ8U

Was really hoping for a follow up vid on how his house suddenly had 200 gallons of water on the floor a couple months later. I'm sure it's coming.

I mean an acrylic sheet isn't even expensive.