Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

OwlFancier posted:

It may be occluding based on whether any part of the bounding box of the object is visible, which would make it absurdly inconsistent and conservative depending on how that terrain is constructed.

You are correct on this. However,

as you can see here the bounding boxes of these trees are easily enveloped by the plane.

OwlFancier posted:

Or, perhaps the pregenerated occlusion is overriding the occlusion plane or something?

It might have something to do with this, but it doesn't explain everything. Everything that disappears behind the occlusion plane is in a different cell, while everything that stays visible is in the same cell.

OwlFancier posted:

Your video looks like it's trying to work logically but that for some reason it's very conservative.

I suppose turning off distant occlusion planes would make sense if you assume in the city streets they're probably being rendered useless by more nearby ones, which would allow you to place more of them without getting as much lag from having to calculate occlusion from all of them all the time, even if they're largely irrelevant.

Really city streets are the perfect environment for precaluclated occlusion and if the engine can support it I don't know why they aren't using them.

What I called pregenerated visibility is also probably precalculated occlusion - the cell's visibility is generated in the Creation Kit.

The engine does use it, too, I had to turn it off in the cell order to get the occlusion plane to work.

I'd like to try to create an invisible, non occluding object, and get it to bake with the precalculated visibility, but it seems to ignore occlusion planes I add.

e: Never mind, I tried generating it a few more times and it worked.

An occlusion plane with pregenerated or precalculated or whatever the hell visibility enabled doesn't appear to be working any differently.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

turn off the TV posted:

It might have something to do with this, but it doesn't explain everything. Everything that disappears behind the occlusion plane is in a different cell, while everything that stays visible is in the same cell.

Then is the occlusion plane actually just occluding cells, rather than geometry? And as you withdraw, the bounds of more cells are coming into view and the engine is drawing the entire cell?

turn off the TV posted:

What I called pregenerated visibility is also probably precalculated occlusion - the cell's visibility is generated in the Creation Kit.

The engine does use it, too, I had to turn it off in the cell order to get the occlusion plane to work.

I'd like to try to create an invisible, non occluding object, and get it to bake with the precalculated visibility, but it seems to ignore occlusion planes I add.

e: Never mind, I tried generating it a few more times and it worked.

An occlusion plane with pregenerated or precalculated or whatever the hell visibility enabled doesn't appear to be working any differently.

I dunno how the engine handles precaluclated visibility but the way Source does it is it calculates planes off the edge of world geometry brushes (brushes being basic 3d solids) and any you manually add with a special brush texture. It uses these planes to hack the level into 3d volumes and then calculates visibility based on whether anywhere in the chunk you're in can see anywhere in another chunk, so as you move between chunks it loads and unloads all chunks that have been precalculated as visible or not from that chunk. It's very fast in runtime and also very powerful because a little manual tweaking can subdivide complex areas into exactly optimal segments based on the specific level geometry, but it takes like, half an hour to compute in compile time (or did in, like, 2010 when last I used it)

I would imagine that fallout 4 uses something at least like that but the question becomes how it calculates its chunks. If it is actually doing it on a cell basis then that would be very limited as overworld cells are a standard size afaik?

But at least in Source, occlusion and visibility are completely separate systems, the whole point of occlusion is that it does it in real-time so you get much more precise occlusion of objects. If fallout is doing it on a per-cell basis I... really can't imagine how grossly inconsistent that would be.

Either way it's loving :bethesda: as hell...

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 5, 2017

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

From what I understand the Bethesda system is tied to static object references that do not have the nonoccluding tag. Unless a static has that tag its exterior (or possibly visible textures), from what I understand, is treated as an occlusion plane or box. Since objects like buildings are often made of dozens of individual chunks this should be a pretty good method.

The source method sounds similar to a system used in the Fallout 4 engine for managing interior chunks by chopping them up.

As for whether or not occlusion is on a per cell basis, I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but occlusion appears to apply to objects within and without the cell that it's based in, and seems to apply to statics individually.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Hey everyone, know what time it is? that is right, weekly Nexus mod round up!

Tribal Power Armor recreates the customised stuff you could get at the end of The Pitt DLC for Fallout 3.

Remote Explosives adds the C4 from Fallout New Vegas and a selection of other minor and major devices that can be triggered to go boom in hiding.

Four Leaf Knuckler is a customised set of knuckles shaped like a luckly four leaf clover. Luck of the Irish the poo poo out of some raiders face!

If for some reason you don't don't want any of the factions to kill each other in the storyline, Four Faction Alive puts a break on triggering the events that lead to their destruction.

Shadow is a dogmeat replacer dedicated to the modders now decease pet black labrador. Awww.

The Legendary Overhaul is an interesting one that completely overhauls the random upgrades of drops and not only introduces a bunch of new ones, but cuts out or retweaks the more well useless ones. Also adds them to helmets.

Moon's Chem Changes tweaks the Chem Perks to actually be worth following and putting points in if you want to model a character around crafting and using chems.

Eli's Armor Compendium is another mix and match default assets to create original lore friendly clothing and accessories style mod, actually some really nice stuff there for people who just want a bit more visual variety outside factions.

Unbreakable Stores pretty much ensures the fragile wooden stalls of your settlements bazaar isn't broken during combat around them.

Private Vertibird lets you craft a Vertibird for you, dogmeat and friends to just travel around the Commonwealth with. Great for those who want a Vertibird but hate the Brotherhood!

Weapon modder DOOMBASED is at it again creating two more custom weapons, the first is a triple barreled shotgun and the second is a suspiciously Uzi looking smg.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Could someone hook me up with a way to solve this? I have all the DLCs so I'm just sitting here confused as poo poo.

ninja e: nvm, I actually looked around for two seconds and fixed it.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Anita Dickinme posted:

Could someone hook me up with a way to solve this? I have all the DLCs so I'm just sitting here confused as poo poo.

ninja e: nvm, I actually looked around for two seconds and fixed it.

Whenever I run LOOT through Mod Organizer 2, it disables my DLC for... some reason. I've no idea why. But yeah just reenable them and manually sort them, less of a headache that way.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, that was exactly it. Learned a lesson to actually look at the esp's first before running to the tread like the sky's falling. :derp:

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
F4Edit takes a look at a file in your driveletterhere:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Fallout4 to see what to load, recently the dlc have stopped being added to that list, so, just copy and paste your dlc into that list, save and then open F4Edit.
Best to do your editing with MO or NMM off, as they might change the Plugins.txt while you are working on it. (especially if you do something to change the load order, like create a new file.)
at least, that's my experience.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Sorry to read the first page and jump in here but I have a question.

I have an out of state buddy who says Fallout Xbone Mods are a thing. Is he nuts?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Captain Log posted:

Sorry to read the first page and jump in here but I have a question.

I have an out of state buddy who says Fallout Xbone Mods are a thing. Is he nuts?

You tell me.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Is the BIG GOOD LIST OF FALLOUT 4 MODS in the OP being kept up-to-date?

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
I've been meaning to update the OP for a while, the last time I tried the nexus was down and I ragequit. I dunno if the big list is kept up to date but maybe Seanbeans can make a new thread with it if he has the energy

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Is the BIG GOOD LIST OF FALLOUT 4 MODS in the OP being kept up-to-date?

Most of the stuff Sintax has posted is still doing alright, and I trimmed all the dead/removed stuff from the Google document a few weeks back. I post mostly stuff I find interesting weekly in the thread. I don't think we need a new thread at the moment now, if somebody wants to volunteer that is fine. Sintax really did a good layout with the guns so if somebody wants to follow that pattern that would be awesome if they think they can meet the challenge.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
Some fella at the nexus made a bunch of good mods that I want to point out, mainly because I find them indispensable :

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/20890/ Restore power armour frames.
Used to be, you could sneak up to someone in Power Armour and steal their 'core. now you can just batter them then restore their frame. much more fun.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/20353/ :frogout: of the Way/push away companions.
As you may have noticed Bethesda and some other aaa games making companies have not bothered using legs in combat. fine, so, now you can push people around, literally.
bleep, become pusher robot. can eventually be used in combat. (Have not tried, but looks fun)

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/20226/ Tina de Luca, Voiced as a settler. fixes a bug, I guess. in case you want your settlement to have a dealer ex vaulty hanging around.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/12087/ More things wander into cages. More cages.

Have you ever been triggered by the paucity of things you can make fight to the death in your settlements?
you can also guard your settlements with Behemoth, 'Lurk Queen, Captured sentry bots. and so on....

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11976/ Pusher robot part seux.
some fixes, like goodfeels, but more stuff to do with the robot workshop.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Restoring power armor frames is great, it even has a little elevator music jingle for the time that elapses while you restore them.

And Fallout has a rich tradition of companions getting in the way and needing shoves; Fallout 1 it was possible to soft lock your game if a companion stood in a door and you couldn't make them move, you had to kill them if you wanted to exit. Fallout 2 had the problem even worse but they "fixed" it by letting you push them.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/22486/

Is the Wattz 2000 the new immersive manhole covers or something??

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/22442/

Also, now you can just export your settlement from ingame and import a new one the same way.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 6, 2017

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Fuuuuck off. I'd rather ask the goon mind than google because I know I'll be steered to a good source if the information isn't already on the forums.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

We got three different Wattz rifles but barely any of the melee weapons from the earlier games have been done sadly.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Captain Log posted:

Fuuuuck off. I'd rather ask the goon mind than google because I know I'll be steered to a good source if the information isn't already on the forums.

Have you ever considered consulting the Bethesda website? I hear that they have a pretty good handle on Fallout 4's features.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

turn off the TV posted:

Have you ever considered consulting the Bethesda website? I hear that they have a pretty good handle on Fallout 4's features.

This is debatable.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Kimsemus posted:

This is debatable.

Yeah, you got me on this one.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SeanBeansShako posted:

We got three different Wattz rifles but barely any of the melee weapons from the earlier games have been done sadly.

Still waiting on a ballistic fist. And on Millennia to do anything, really.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Captain Log posted:

The problem with asking the goon hivemind is that it's full of assholes who aren't fans of questions with super obvious, easy to find answers.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Though it's rather obvious what it does, I just want to take a moment to recommend the 'more spawns' mod. If your machine can handle it, it does make fights a lot more fun. Reasons to actually use cover and grenades.

Had a huge fight a bit ago. Going down the alleyways in boston, come upon a super mutant location that has about two dozen of them milling about. Fight starts, and I notice some are shooting away from me. A bunch of raiders heard the fight and wandered over. And just as the three way battle was underway, I get smacked in the back of the head by a feral ghoul. I turn around to see a horde of them sprinting into the battle, attacking all sides. Went through quite a few stimpacks, but it was nice, as someone with an endgame level character to really be challenged without everything devolving into a bullet sponge.

Gilg
Oct 10, 2002

Just picked up Fallout 4 two weeks ago and "finished" my current run, and I'm looking to start a new character on Survival difficulty. I guess this is only half a modding question, but I see a lot of recommendation for Horizon and Frost for survival mods and I wanted to check if I should go with them right away or try the regular Survival mode difficulty first? They seem to make the game even harder, so I'm not sure if I should only use them after I've decided I like Survival in general.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

Still waiting on a ballistic fist. And on Millennia to do anything, really.

Yeah, ballistic fist, the classic pneumatic fist and the classic chainsaw knife ripper would all be great if somebody modded them into the game already.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gilg posted:

Just picked up Fallout 4 two weeks ago and "finished" my current run, and I'm looking to start a new character on Survival difficulty. I guess this is only half a modding question, but I see a lot of recommendation for Horizon and Frost for survival mods and I wanted to check if I should go with them right away or try the regular Survival mode difficulty first? They seem to make the game even harder, so I'm not sure if I should only use them after I've decided I like Survival in general.

Challenge : get a companion recruitment mod, http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11829/ and just recruit insects. you can roleplay a certain character from an earlier fallout.
My next one will be Robots.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

SeanBeansShako posted:

Yeah, ballistic fist, the classic pneumatic fist and the classic chainsaw knife ripper would all be great if somebody modded them into the game already.

I want a bear trap fist.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Hunting Shotgun

Easily the most fleshed out shotgun mod so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P24e_Sfipkw

Look at it! It's so pretty :3:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Yeah It's super neat, I was gonna mention it at the end of the week. Adding it to the the old school weapon mod list now too. All we really need is a Caravan and Riot Shotgun variant.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

I'm so happy with the quality of weapon mods being thrown out right now. What I'm wanting is the service rifle and carbine from NV to come back, but with the modular weapon modding, so you can make it super tactical if you so wish.

Reload animation with the bolt release being slammed after a new mag too. Dribble.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It's neat, though a shame we're being penny packeted with this stuff due to the nature of the modding instead of it being a sort of single project pack under a single modder. Better than a kick in the teeth, though it would be nice if we saw more melee/laser weapons recreated now.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Falken posted:

I'm so happy with the quality of weapon mods being thrown out right now. What I'm wanting is the service rifle and carbine from NV to come back, but with the modular weapon modding, so you can make it super tactical if you so wish.

Reload animation with the bolt release being slammed after a new mag too. Dribble.

The most popular weapon mod on the Nexus is an M16.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/8807/

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

SeanBeansShako posted:

...it would be nice if we saw more melee laser weapons recreated now.

:getin:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Holy moly, there's a mod that allows you to import and export custom settlements.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

turn off the TV posted:

Holy moly, there's a mod that allows you to import and export custom settlements.

This is awesome, I hope it's the basis for future mods. If anyone ever gets a multiplayer mod working, this seems like a great way to have synchronized settlements.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Sintax posted:

This is awesome, I hope it's the basis for future mods. If anyone ever gets a multiplayer mod working, this seems like a great way to have synchronized settlements.

I'm hoping that they can eventually get the Creation Kit to load custom settlements so that they could have LODs generated. It would be nice to just populate the map with already built up settlements and just ignore the building mechanics entirely.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

turn off the TV posted:

The most popular weapon mod on the Nexus is an M16.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/8807/
Last time I checked, it had the janky reload animations, and I've never seen a carry handle AR15 have the scope mounted where the rear sight should be.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

We want our Warham style Ripper back dammit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
I want a rediculous chainsaw sword. and an anti chainsaw shield. strong is now an ork.
Actually, I got that blueprints mod as well, it gave me the idea of going back to saves when I gave more of a gently caress and exporting those settlements I really built up.