Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat
Because people in my own thread asked for it, and why should you guys miss out on quality content?

Rockman CX #10 Special: The Ultraman Goeth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

cis autodrag posted:

Don't tell me this game has smell-o-vision!!!!

You won't believe what Dr. Light smells like.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Heavy Sigh posted:

Because people in my own thread asked for it, and why should you guys miss out on quality content?

Rockman CX #10 Special: The Ultraman Goeth

Absolutely fan-loving-tastic.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Pharohman777 posted:

So FPzero, what is your name on SMWcentral? I never thought you were such a prominent figure in the super mario world hacking community.
I just want to see the posts you made on the original VLDC, that is why I am asking, since you are already so entertaining.

It's the same as on here. However you might have trouble locating the first VLDC since it was posted by a mod. I was just a regular user at the time. The threads you're looking for are here:

Submissions
Discussion
Results

Keep in mind this was 9-10 years ago so a lot of standards have changed as well as posting styles. (Basically I was younger and it might be embarrassing to read old posts of mine! :shobon: )

All of the old VLDC contests are located in the Old Contests & Events subforum so you should be able to find every single year's contest. Whether or not the download links still work for the entries is a different question but I'm sure some of them do. I know there was a re-release of VLDC1 compiled together some time last year so that might be a cool way to look at hacking standards from a decade ago.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Combat Lobster posted:

You won't believe what Dr. Light smells like.
You won't get me with that clickbait article title!

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Commander Keene posted:

You won't get me with that clickbait article title!

#7 will poo poo your pants when you're not even wearing them!

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

FPzero posted:

It's the same as on here. However you might have trouble locating the first VLDC since it was posted by a mod. I was just a regular user at the time. The threads you're looking for are here:

Submissions
Discussion
Results

Keep in mind this was 9-10 years ago so a lot of standards have changed as well as posting styles. (Basically I was younger and it might be embarrassing to read old posts of mine! :shobon: )

All of the old VLDC contests are located in the Old Contests & Events subforum so you should be able to find every single year's contest. Whether or not the download links still work for the entries is a different question but I'm sure some of them do. I know there was a re-release of VLDC1 compiled together some time last year so that might be a cool way to look at hacking standards from a decade ago.

I think you mentioned at one point that you made a set of levels designed so that the end of one matched the start of the next - do you have a link to that? I'd love to see it, that sounds like a fantastic idea.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Crazy Achmed posted:

I think you mentioned at one point that you made a set of levels designed so that the end of one matched the start of the next - do you have a link to that? I'd love to see it, that sounds like a fantastic idea.

I didn't have every level transition but some did. Regardless, the only two SMW hacks I ever released were these two

https://www.smwcentral.net/?p=section&a=details&id=4972
https://www.smwcentral.net/?p=section&a=details&id=9824

I'm sure some of these levels had transitions. Be warned that they are from like, 2008-2009 era and are nowhere near indicative of how I design levels now.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

FPzero posted:

Space World has been really kind to us so far!

I loving wish.

Hoo boy. This was not a good level. There are way too many problems with it. It's unforgiving, visually difficult, has a cheap shot right at the end and essentially relies on memorization to get through it. We played it for 35 minutes and if I hadn't gotten extremely lucky we could have been there for even longer. I tried to edit my way through it the best I could, only keeping progress, near misses and our own gameplay explanations intact. The rest is death.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Seriously, I agree: gently caress that!

Would it be possible to kill the paratroopa under the platform (you know the one) with a shell in Yoshi's mouth or does spitting it out drop you, too?

The only interesting thing about that level is the combination of red and green paratroopers. You could probably made some sort of shmup-style gameplay out of that. (It's me, I'm the bad ideas haver.)

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

frankenfreak posted:

Would it be possible to kill the paratroopa under the platform (you know the one) with a shell in Yoshi's mouth or does spitting it out drop you, too?

The only interesting thing about that level is the combination of red and green paratroopers. You could probably made some sort of shmup-style gameplay out of that. (It's me, I'm the bad ideas haver.)

It could work, but obviously the first thing that would have to happen is that you would need to be able to see what's going on in that level.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

frankenfreak posted:

Spitting the shell would also interrupt flying. You can see this kill me a few times towards the beginning when I try spitting the red shell flames.

Speaking of the shell effects, even though there was no color I was always able to tell what color of koopa they were. Only the Green ones will fly left and only the Red ones will fly vertically. That's just how the game is programmed.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I think the level name is supposed to be 'Fez Three" backwards, but he mixed up the R and Es?

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Dr. Fetus posted:

It could work, but obviously the first thing that would have to happen is that you would need to be able to see what's going on in that level.
Well, I was talking about ideas worth salvaging from that mess. The silhouette aesthetic certainly isn't one particularly worth salvaging, a least not for a busy level like that, let alone if it's autoscrolling.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

There's a good idea behind that level, but it's unforgiving as it stands. There's no real reason to make it a DKC Returns-style silhouette level and there's no margin for error.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I could see a scrolling shmup level being reasonably creative, but it'd need to be a lot more forgiving and non-silhouetted. Grabbing red shells to spit fireballs to clear a path through a wave of enemies sounds plausibly fun, for example.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I could see a scrolling shmup level being reasonably creative, but it'd need to be a lot more forgiving and non-silhouetted. Grabbing red shells to spit fireballs to clear a path through a wave of enemies sounds plausibly fun, for example.

You would also have to ensure that the player fires off the fireballs high enough so that they don't fall to their deaths due to the mechanics not really being suited for such a thing. Either by placing enemy formations high enough to encourage such behavior, or putting like a platform or something at the bottom so the player is allowed to fire off the shell without falling off the screen immediately. Honestly, it does seem like a creative enough idea, and one that could work if enough care and thought was put into the level.

The other problem is that taking 1 hit essentially kills you since you lose Yoshi in that case.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
I liked the look of the silhouette. How did someone make that much effort to make a visually striking level, and then fill it to the brim with that much bullshit, look at it, and say "Yep, this is going to win!"?

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

EDIT: Wow what a mess.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Don't red yoshis always spit fireballs regardless of what sorta koopa they grab? That would have been a good way to maintain a sidescroller shmup feeling, provided I'm remembering that right.

That alone sure as gently caress wouldn't fix that level, though. Yikes.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

liquidypoo posted:

Don't red yoshis always spit fireballs regardless of what sorta koopa they grab? That would have been a good way to maintain a sidescroller shmup feeling, provided I'm remembering that right.

They do but sadly this wouldn't work in the context of this sort of level because the Yoshi Wings automatically turn Yoshi into a permanently flying Blue one. You'd need some assembly to combine the effects.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

liquidypoo posted:

Unfortunately the yoshi wing sublevels always make your yoshi blue

I would've given the player a cape at least for that level, it makes flying yoshis way easier to control.

EDIT: ^^gently caress

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Let's Play Link to the Past Randomized with CirclMastr and Combat Lobster
Episode 11

I swear I'm not usually this bad against Ganon.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Well, Link touched the Triforce and got his wish. You do remember that plot point in ALTTP, correct? Ganon touching the Triforce and getting his wish is basically the entire reason that the Dark World exists. That explains all of the dead characters being alive again, like the King, Link's uncle, and the ocarina boy.

The thief in the Lost Woods stole the screen.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I want FPzero's memoirs to be called "Why Did I Spin Jump?"

I like the idea and the general aesthetic but mother of god that's a lovely level. And the first piece of music is way better.

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Mar 4, 2017

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat
It seems like this stage is optional, but it really, really isn't.

Rockman CX #11: I tried hard for you
(Heavy Sigh, Shinryu, El Generico, NGDBSS, the mad scrawls of Combat Lobster, and Simply Simon)

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

This game would be a lot more fun if you could be Quick Man for all of it.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

FPzero posted:

I loving wish.

Hoo boy. This was not a good level. There are way too many problems with it. It's unforgiving, visually difficult, has a cheap shot right at the end and essentially relies on memorization to get through it. We played it for 35 minutes and if I hadn't gotten extremely lucky we could have been there for even longer. I tried to edit my way through it the best I could, only keeping progress, near misses and our own gameplay explanations intact. The rest is death.

Do you know what the first music track in this level is from? It was in another level too and it's really chill.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The Rockman CX creator really loves those infinitely spawning helicopter enemies, huh? If Mega Man came with a competent buster they wouldn't be nearly as much of a problem.

In case anyone asks, the next level's music is "Fate" from Mother 3. In that game, you first hear it when you fight a monster living under a carpet. At least he put some care into the music selection.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I really love the Castlevania III homage, right down to Clockwork, but man the execution was so bad. :(

PixoPoxo
Dec 11, 2006
Am get!
So this came out recently. Looks technically impressive, but I dunno about it.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

That is...bizarre. It does look technically impressive though, you're right.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
It is written like an awful nerd comedy project from 2007 (lmao trans lmao doctor who lmao all your base) which is a shame because it also has good dungeons?? Maybe I should record it sometime

PixoPoxo
Dec 11, 2006
Am get!

corn in the bible posted:

It is written like an awful nerd comedy project from 2007 (lmao trans lmao doctor who lmao all your base) which is a shame because it also has good dungeons?? Maybe I should record it sometime

Ugh that just sours me on it. I think I'm still going to play it because I love hacks that are total conversions.

Speaking of total conversion Zelda hacks, I don't think Zelda: The Legend of Link has been mentioned here yet. Definitely worth playing.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

We're back to color to finish out this recording session! The secret exit in the first level works by placing a door hidden behind the yoshi coin. What's supposed to happen is the player has to find all 5 coins first then the door appears since that's how it would work on a vanilla SMW rom. But since this compilation rom saves Yoshi Coins upon collection instead of making the player collect all 5 in one run through the level, just getting the one coin that hides the door then beating the level will unveil the secret path. This is an application of that Z-Ordering concept I mentioned in passing once before.
Second level is marred by a sudden transition to an entirely different and more difficult focus in the second half. It was going so well too.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

corn in the bible posted:

It is written like an awful nerd comedy project from 2007 (lmao trans lmao doctor who lmao all your base)

This was my immediate suspicion once I saw the trailer because it uses O Fortuna for the music.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
The sad thing about the previous-previous SMW is that, conceptually, "let's turn Mario into a shmup" is a fun idea but in having to work with vanilla constraints, it screws the pooch because you can't do the things that make actual shmups playable within the bounds of standard Mario physics.

Also, I'm considering doing one of the miscellaneous Fire Emblem romhacks floating around, but don't exactly have the time to transcribe dialogue... What do people do there? (Or is this a TSF question)

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Mister Olympus posted:

The sad thing about the previous-previous SMW is that, conceptually, "let's turn Mario into a shmup" is a fun idea but in having to work with vanilla constraints, it screws the pooch because you can't do the things that make actual shmups playable within the bounds of standard Mario physics.

Also, I'm considering doing one of the miscellaneous Fire Emblem romhacks floating around, but don't exactly have the time to transcribe dialogue... What do people do there? (Or is this a TSF question)

Depends on the game. If you can locate a text dump, that will make your job a lot easier.

Or you could just not bother with transcribing, and summarize what the dialogue says.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mister Olympus posted:

there are programs that will copy the text out of images, which cuts down a lot on transcription time, like this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Transcription is effort, I'd tell you to just skip unless the hack's writing is really worth it.

What are you planning? I've been wanting to LP FE Midori but I'm busy with other stuff at the moment.

• Locked thread