Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
I use Storm and am concerned that I seem to be the only one. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

I like BeWeather

BeWeather is great.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Kekekela posted:

I use Storm and am concerned that I seem to be the only one. :smith:

Nah. Storm is really good if you need the radar front and center.

I feel like all weather apps are designed by people living in 70 degrees year round and not in the Midwest where it's 30 when you wake up and 65 and raining by 3pm.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

GoldfishStew posted:

How do you use Overcast app on Applewatch? I understand if this is wrong thread but i also figure my chances of finding someone with same set up is narrow.

You don't; the useless watch app is just a remote control for phone playback.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Khablam posted:

It's the best weather app.

Tell us what esoteric use case you insist on that it doesn't cover.
:allears:
I hate how it displays the temperature forecast for both hourly and daily.

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

Grassy Knowles posted:

You don't; the useless watch app is just a remote control for phone playback.

It's actually much faster now than it used to be and actually useful. It's just lacking volume control still

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

maduin posted:

Nah. Storm is really good if you need the radar front and center.

I feel like all weather apps are designed by people living in 70 degrees year round and not in the Midwest where it's 30 when you wake up and 65 and raining by 3pm.

Or the UK, where Dark Sky's hourly prediction has made my life easier by a much larger margin than it has any right to have.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
My only knock on Dark Sky is anything beyond 24-48 hours is just worthless forecasting.

Wunderground's 5 days forecasts tend to be much more accurate.

But I've seen Dark Sky predict rain coming to the minute so I keep it around.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
I wish the prediction of Dark Sky was accurate for me when I tried it a yearish ago, but it just wasn't and the temperature was +/- 5-10 degrees compared to a few other apps which is less annoying. Decided I'd just rather use Storm with it's radar up front to leave it up to me when it will rain or RadarScope for when I'm feeling particularly nerdy.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
I am using Brave browser instead of Safari now. Anyway to make this the default browser for opening links and spotlight search, etc?

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

GoldfishStew posted:

I am using Brave browser instead of Safari now. Anyway to make this the default browser for opening links and spotlight search, etc?

Nope, not without jailbreaking.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Ah, OK. Thanks for the quick answer.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

flosofl posted:

BeWeather is great.

BeWeather was my go-to until I discovered Carrot Weather. I still go back to BeWeather when I need more detailed info, but Carrot Weather is much more fun.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Anyone using Ulysses for writing? I'm working on the 2nd draft of my thesis paper and all I got out here is my iPad Pro. Word seems a bit unwieldy for working on sections/multiple documents and I see how Ulysses interface is good for writing in different parts and then joining them together. I was wondering if anyone had experience with it or other writing apps on the iPad before I make the plunge since the app is a bit pricy.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Housh posted:

Anyone using Ulysses for writing? I'm working on the 2nd draft of my thesis paper and all I got out here is my iPad Pro. Word seems a bit unwieldy for working on sections/multiple documents and I see how Ulysses interface is good for writing in different parts and then joining them together. I was wondering if anyone had experience with it or other writing apps on the iPad before I make the plunge since the app is a bit pricy.

My girlfriend has it and loves it. She's writing a book on it. Yeah it's pricey but I'd say it's worth it, the interface looks really good.

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

Housh posted:

A lot of this gets into personal preference, but you might also want to look at Scrivener.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
The age old question rears its ugly head: what's everyone using for a mail client right now?

I've tried all the good ones I think:

Mail.app - no push gmail, office365/exchange works well. Doesn't snooze which sucks a bit.

Outlook - notifications stopped working after a week or so

Email by easilyDo - doesn't colorize the Inbox for multiple accounts

AirMail - my favorite, but I couldn't get it to update changes to the inbox unless I opened the app. I talked to support and they told me they logged a ticket for it or something.

Spark - according to the EULA, all your mail is stored on their servers....so...yeah. I like it though.

what about you guys?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mail.app for me. If you want push for gmail, set your account to forward to an iCloud. I'm happy enough with a 15 minute refresh.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
I am deeply in love with Email by easilyDo. They manage receipts, package tracking, and a number of other things. Given that it's free, though, I'm curious as to what the benefit for them is for all of this if there isn't a price point.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
I'm using gmail and I have no problems with it. :shrug:

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I'm starting to make time lapse videos with my phone, but I'd like to be able to linger on specific frames in the final video. Anyone know of any apps that either:

* Take the time lapse and let you adjust the playback speed on a per-frame basis
* Can edit the resulting video and allow me to achieve the result through some mechanism; like duplicate frames, or take video and convert to time lapse, or something?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

dupersaurus posted:

I'm starting to make time lapse videos with my phone, but I'd like to be able to linger on specific frames in the final video. Anyone know of any apps that either:

* Take the time lapse and let you adjust the playback speed on a per-frame basis
* Can edit the resulting video and allow me to achieve the result through some mechanism; like duplicate frames, or take video and convert to time lapse, or something?

can't you just extend a frame in imovie or something

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

vtlock posted:

A lot of this gets into personal preference, but you might also want to look at Scrivener.
Thanks. After looking at both, Scrivener seems to be better suited for research. It seems to do the same things as Ulysses but able to store images and PDFs for reference. Plus the desktop version is Windows and Mac which is nice because I'll have a windows box soon. Also, Scrivener has good Dropbox support. It's a couple bucks cheaper too. I think the only thing Ulysses can do that Scrivener can't is publish to ePub. Not a deal breaker for me though.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

duckfarts posted:

can't you just extend a frame in imovie or something

Ah ha, there we go. Thanks.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

virinvictus posted:

I am deeply in love with Email by easilyDo. They manage receipts, package tracking, and a number of other things. Given that it's free, though, I'm curious as to what the benefit for them is for all of this if there isn't a price point.

Apparently the tech Email is built on has an API they sell access to.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

withak posted:

Am I the only one who just needs their podcast app to play podcasts.

Yes because most podcasts are way too soft to listen to on a commute.
Especially if you play a game on your phone while listening.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Housh posted:

Thanks. After looking at both, Scrivener seems to be better suited for research. It seems to do the same things as Ulysses but able to store images and PDFs for reference. Plus the desktop version is Windows and Mac which is nice because I'll have a windows box soon. Also, Scrivener has good Dropbox support. It's a couple bucks cheaper too. I think the only thing Ulysses can do that Scrivener can't is publish to ePub. Not a deal breaker for me though.

Scrivener can export to ePub just fine.

At least, as fine as anything that exports to ePub.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I'm moving over from Android and I've never used Apple product before.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a data monitor app? The main feature I'm after is an always visible datarate monitor.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

I don't think you're going to like this move, bruh

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
So far so good. I did just notice that Firefox doesn't seem to have add-ons. Is that part of Apple locking things down or am I an idiot and can't find it?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Use Safari.

Also yes, probably.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Safari sucks. Use Chrome.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

ShoogaSlim posted:

Safari sucks. Use Chrome.

Third opinion! Use Opera :ocelot::smuggo:

In general, you're going to find that iOS doesn't let you mess around under the hood near as much as Android does. The trade-off is a much smoother and faster OS, but there's very little actual tinkering allowed.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

All browsers on iOS are using safari in the background.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

So far so good. I did just notice that Firefox doesn't seem to have add-ons. Is that part of Apple locking things down or am I an idiot and can't find it?

Firefox Focus, on the other hand, is probably the best Safari ad "content" blocker on iOS.

^ ^ ^ Watch out for that, by the way. A lot of apps will call their own WebKit instance to avoid Safari content blockers. If you can open app content in Safari itself instead of the app browser, do so. If you can't, double-check whether you need to do HTML in the app, or whether you need the app at all.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Mandatory Assembly posted:

Third opinion! Use Opera :ocelot::smuggo:

In general, you're going to find that iOS doesn't let you mess around under the hood near as much as Android does. The trade-off is a much smoother and faster OS, but there's very little actual tinkering allowed.

To add to this, generally not much tinkering required! I've been on both platforms a bunch and iOS just works if you get out of its way. Focus on quality apps and let go of managing your phone. It is very therapeutic.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Mandatory Assembly posted:

When it comes to operating systems, Apple is sorta the strict mother which seems to do a lot of arbitrary things, but at least always has a hot meal when you get home.

It'll be an adjustment period, and if you're anything like me, you're gonna miss the depth of theme/icon/appearance changes. But once you acclimate it's good.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
i'm actually really hopeful apple allows you to set default apps soon. they've been (slowly) moving in that direction for a couple of years, and with the ability to delete native apps, I think it's only a matter of time.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

I use brave browser

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I'm moving over from Android and I've never used Apple product before.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a data monitor app? The main feature I'm after is an always visible datarate monitor.

Dataman may be what you're looking for. There isn't an alway visible monitor, but there is a widget.