Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Applewhite posted:

Nah man, I'll just draw my own.

Be sure to post them in this thread when you are done :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Hedrigall posted:

Be sure to post them in this thread when you are done :)

This thread is not the appropriate venue for that. Maybe in GBS as a CYOA.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

:chanpop: emphasis on "mature."

Honestly I'm shocked at the animation quality in this clip. I'd dismissed Bartok the Magnificent as direct-to-video garbage. Perhaps I was wrong.

Applewhite fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Mar 7, 2017

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Whoa guys, this is a thread for children's animation. Pump the brakes.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Drifter posted:

Whoa guys, this is a thread for children's animation. Pump the brakes.

I thought this was the thread for all animation with an emphasis on theatrical releases.

If this is just for children's animation could someone please direct me to the correct thread where I can discuss Seth Green's smash hit movie Sausage Party (2015)? Because that is a mature animated movie for adults only.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

K. Waste posted:

Correction: Darla Dimple is a distraction from the sick culture that made her an idol. She is also an exploited child.

Shut up, whitey.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
we've discussed Belladonna of Sadness and honestly I'd be loving ecstatic if more mature noncomedic animation came out in the states, so no it's not just Children's Animation.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
No this is a thread for adults who are unusually obsessed with children's animation :eng101:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I think the sausages in sausage party were a metaphor for the working class.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
No they were penises

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
No they were an excuse for frat boys to use racial epithets.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I would love it if people finally realize that there's no such thing as "ironic racism" or that "I offend everyone equally" is a bullshit excuse to use slurs and offensive jokes without being called on it.

Why is everyone named Seth in Hollywood a raging dickhead?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Applewhite posted:

Dude. You're getting way into the weeds with this. Darla was a spoiled, selfish brat who used her fame and fortune to abuse people. She was the villain of the movie and her comeuppance was just.

Yes in real life there's a whole lot of social and moral issues that come into play around child stars and the totally hosed-up childhoods they have as a result of celebrity culture, but in the cartoon Darla bossed everyone around, menaced them with her bodyguard and ruined people's careers for minor inconveniences.

Darla, even within the diegesis of the film, is explicitly not responsible for Hollywood's systematic discrimination against animals. Even the bus driver exhibits casual speciesism towards Danny and all the animals in Hollywood.

I am not talking about real life - I am critically reading Cats Don't Dance, and noting how it articulates of a fantastic, escapist scenario, where we are shown and told explicitly that superficial bigotry is just a mask for systemic injustice, but symbolically resolve these issues by lumping them onto the specter of an individual, conspiratorial threat. The irony is that Danny goes to Wooly's trailer and, while continually attempting to rationalize that his failings are accidental, is told, 'No, Hollywood doesn't want animal stories.' Functionally, the film is not about Danny internalizing this lesson, but the plastic cartoon universe stretching to accommodate his dream.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I too am gravely concerned about discrimination against animals in hollywood

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

No I get that, it's just that there's very little collectible art that inspires that reaction in me.

Like the only decoration I've put up in my room all through college and grad school is a newspaper ad for a Blue Oyster Cult concert; nothing else has struck my fancy. (Entirely by coincidence, the poster is also of a skeleton. :yohoho: )

Animation cels aren't like mass produced prints or posters, it's a hand drawn single thing. If it's from a movie you like a lot then that's pretty special.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Robindaybird posted:

I would love it if people finally realize that there's no such thing as "ironic racism" or that "I offend everyone equally" is a bullshit excuse to use slurs and offensive jokes without being called on it.

Why is everyone named Seth in Hollywood a raging dickhead?

I disagree. I think that while there are indeed many examples of people abusing parody as an excuse to spout slurs with impunity, that "ironic" and parody racism does exist and can be used correctly. See: Stephen Colbert's over the top conservative persona.

See also: Blazing Saddles.

I don't believe Sausage Party is one of those times though.

Applewhite fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 9, 2017

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

K. Waste posted:

Darla, even within the diegesis of the film, is explicitly not responsible for Hollywood's systematic discrimination against animals. Even the bus driver exhibits casual speciesism towards Danny and all the animals in Hollywood.

I am not talking about real life - I am critically reading Cats Don't Dance, and noting how it articulates of a fantastic, escapist scenario, where we are shown and told explicitly that superficial bigotry is just a mask for systemic injustice, but symbolically resolve these issues by lumping them onto the specter of an individual, conspiratorial threat. The irony is that Danny goes to Wooly's trailer and, while continually attempting to rationalize that his failings are accidental, is told, 'No, Hollywood doesn't want animal stories.' Functionally, the film is not about Danny internalizing this lesson, but the plastic cartoon universe stretching to accommodate his dream.

In Cats Don't Dance, Darla bullied the director, blackmailed L.B. Mammoth into getting her way and destroyed studio property as part of a plot to personally ruin Danny. None of those behaviors were the result of her being manipulated or used by the system. She thrived in and exploited Hollywood's systematic prejudice, but she was not a victim of it.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Hedrigall posted:

I too am gravely concerned about discrimination against animals in hollywood

The animals are meta-persons - they represent oppressed people.

But even at the facetious level of your joke: animals are and have been consistently mistreated and exploited in film productions.

Applewhite posted:

In Cats Don't Dance, Darla bullied the director, blackmailed L.B. Mammoth into getting her way and destroyed studio property as part of a plot to personally ruin Danny. None of those behaviors were the result of her being manipulated or used by the system. She thrived in and exploited Hollywood's systematic prejudice, but she was not a victim of it.

Darla at no point blackmails L.B. Mammoth. You are confusing L.B. Mammoth (the producer and head of Mammoth Studios) with the director of Lil Arc Angel, who she also never blackmails, but threatens physically. But you are already losing track of the argument. I am not saying Darla didn't do bad things. She explicitly did, which is why, by the end of the film, she now posts bills. I am saying that getting rid of Darla doesn't fix anything. Darla is not the head of Mammoth Studios. L.B. Mammoth is old as dirt - he was refusing to produce and promote animal talent except in the most degrading and utilitarian of roles before she was ever born.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

K. Waste posted:

The animals are meta-persons - they represent oppressed people.

But even at the facetious level of your joke: animals are and have been consistently mistreated and exploited in film productions.

Darla at no point blackmails L.B. Mammoth. You are confusing L.B. Mammoth (the producer and head of Mammoth Studios) with the director of Lil Arc Angel, who she also never blackmails, but threatens physically. But you are already losing track of the argument. I am not saying Darla didn't do bad things. She explicitly did, which is why, by the end of the film, she now posts bills. I am saying that getting rid of Darla doesn't fix anything. Darla is not the head of Mammoth Studios. L.B. Mammoth is old as dirt - he was refusing to produce and promote animal talent except in the most degrading and utilitarian of roles before she was ever born.

Okay so you're saying that you're disappointed in the end because defeating Darla didn't solve the larger problem of animal prejudice in Hollywood?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
It's pure exploitailtion

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Cats Don't Dance promotes crab-in-bucket behavior among the people who aren't in the actual one percent - Darla's real downfall is failing to understand that she's new money and considered disposable to the actual financial ubermenschen, and therefore makes no attempt to better eatablish herself with the "deep state" cabal.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Applewhite posted:

Okay so you're saying that you're disappointed in the end because defeating Darla didn't solve the larger problem of animal prejudice in Hollywood?

I have explicitly said that I like Cats Don't Dance. I am not critically reading it in order to express disappointment, but for the sake of ideological critique itself.

The point is that, despite its superficial trappings and connotations of historical discrimination, the conflict of Cats Don't Dance is resolved in an unremarkable fashion consistent with reactionary ideology. Hollywood is obviously a bad place where an entire subsection of the populace is demoralized and exploited to prop of the spectacles of a ruling class. But Darla being 'defeated' (no longer famous and given an unglamorous, low-paying job) takes the place of confronting the endemic problems that actually inform discrimination. The Grauman's Chinese audience doesn't just change their minds - their minds are blown, but half the reason this happens is because Darla's further attempts to sabotage the animals backfires spectacularly. God himself wants the Lil Arc Angel to be exposed, so God is the only reason that Hollywood actually stops oppressing animals unilaterally. The ramifications for other animals are never addressed.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hey i just wanna say thanks to the last two pages for the cats don't dance discussion, i really needed that uncontrollable laughing fit

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
There aren't enough roles for people of fur in mainstream movies

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
You're all missing the point. Darla is actually a hero because she's pretty much the only female character allowed to be ugly.

THE POINT!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Nya Nya Land.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Das Boo posted:

You're all missing the point. Darla is actually a hero because she's pretty much the only female character allowed to be ugly.

THE POINT!

Where did you find this concept art from "Boss Baby 2: Tinseltown Tots"?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Hedrigall posted:

Where did you find this concept art from "Boss Baby 2: Tinseltown Tots"?

It's just the Baby from Roger Rabbit in a wig, is all.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
In Cats Don't Dance 2, Darla goes head to head with her feline nemeses on a mission abroad as ambassador to Czechoslovakia.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

K. Waste posted:

I have explicitly said that I like Cats Don't Dance. I am not critically reading it in order to express disappointment, but for the sake of ideological critique itself.

The point is that, despite its superficial trappings and connotations of historical discrimination, the conflict of Cats Don't Dance is resolved in an unremarkable fashion consistent with reactionary ideology. Hollywood is obviously a bad place where an entire subsection of the populace is demoralized and exploited to prop of the spectacles of a ruling class. But Darla being 'defeated' (no longer famous and given an unglamorous, low-paying job) takes the place of confronting the endemic problems that actually inform discrimination. The Grauman's Chinese audience doesn't just change their minds - their minds are blown, but half the reason this happens is because Darla's further attempts to sabotage the animals backfires spectacularly. God himself wants the Lil Arc Angel to be exposed, so God is the only reason that Hollywood actually stops oppressing animals unilaterally. The ramifications for other animals are never addressed.

Uh huh...

I liked the part where the cats danced.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

What's amazing about Ugly Darla and the Darla she puts on for everyone is it doesn't really distort her features at all to achieve the effect, it's mostly keep brow furrows and grimacing.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Applewhite posted:

This warning would have been more useful to me two weeks ago.

I'm ashamed to admit to watching any of that show but if it saves one other person from making the same mistake I did then I will confirm that it is very pedo.

I was lured into watching by the promise of big booby dragon girls dressed as maids, but in episode two they introduce a dragon who takes the form of a grade schooler and things go downhill from there. I punched out partway through episode three and haven't looked back. There aren't enough dragon boobies in the world to make watching that filth worthwhile.

It's a bad show. Do not watch.

I was similarly disappointed when I heard that Japan was making an anime about bears waging war against humans and it turned out it was actually just about anime girls wanting to kiss each other.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Guy Mann posted:

I was similarly disappointed when I heard that Japan was making an anime about bears waging war against humans and it turned out it was actually just about anime girls wanting to kiss each other.

One Punch Man is the worst anime because it perpetuates the false hope that anime can be good.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
*squints at dragon maid thing* what the hell

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Anime seems very weird until you realize every strange thing is just the author shoving his fetish at you.
Cyborg demon animal gods attending middle school and piloting giant living tentacle mech against space baby aliens that do a synchronized floppy ears dance to combine into a six-armed lady in a thong? Whatever gets you off, dude.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

watch concrete revolutio

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I thought we'd already established that animation as a medium was invented, and to this day is perpetuated, as a means for fetishists to bring their fantasies to life

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Like take Gertie the Dinosaur, let me tell you about the sick gently caress who created her...

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Hedrigall posted:

I thought we'd already established that animation as a medium was invented, and to this day is perpetuated, as a means for fetishists to bring their fantasies to life

That's not... I... well...

Das Boo??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Hedrigall posted:

My dear, there is an immense difference between Bluthing in your fetishes as opposed to bending the fabric of your universe and adding books of back story to accommodate your fetish. In short

:v:

E:

Applewhite posted:

That's not... I... well...

Das Boo??

I'm a lovely ace person, I just wanna play God.

Das Boo fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Mar 7, 2017