Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Cartoon Man posted:

Nintendo actually got it right on how to communicate to the masses what this thing is during those goofy commercials. Each commercial shows someone playing the game on a TV, popping it off it to play on the go, then popping it back in to play at home. It's not a complicated process, its easy to do and anybody can make it work. They really need some more games on it though. Mario Odyssey and Mario Kart both have to launch before Christmas or Nintendo is hosed Nintendo might be in trouble. But with both those games? It will be the number one gift easily.

you misspelled "splatoon 2"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Real hurthling! posted:

The memory of ocarina and its innovation or the reality of playing it now?

The former, for sure. Because that was the best they could do at the time.

The reality of playing OOT now isn't fair to it; our expectations have understandably taken leaps and bounds in the 20 years since. My question could be put better: "Is playing BOTW in 2017 better than playing OOT was in 1998?"

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

mdemone posted:

The reality of playing OOT now isn't fair to it; our expectations have understandably taken leaps and bounds in the 20 years since. My question could be put better: "Is playing BOTW in 2017 better than playing OOT was in 1998?"

yes it is

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

mdemone posted:

Okay goddamnit. I know BOTW is good.

But the acid test: is it better than Ocarina?

Yes. Yes it is.

It's the best Zelda game. Possibly the best game ever but I want to get further than 20 hours in to commit to that. So far, yeah, have never had this much fun in a game.

mdemone posted:

Yes, and I agree, the 1998 to 2017 comparison is the more accurate one. I am someone that has played and enjoyed all of the Zeldas but Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess. I feel very strongly about declaring Breath of the Wild the best one.

Full disclosure: My favorite prior to this was not OoT, but LttP.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

alf_pogs posted:

you misspelled "splatoon 2"

I would love for this game to appeal to the masses, but let's be honest, it going to be the gamers game. Mario Odyssey and Mario Kart will move units...Splatoon not so much. It will be interesting to see how much ad time and exposure they give it.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
its a legit impressive game

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
While I find Zelda impressive. Stamina is way too imbalanced. Most of the shrines outside the plateau require a gently caress load of climbing making the game slightly linear towards Kakariko Village.

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

Cartoon Man posted:

I would love for this game to appeal to the masses, but let's be honest, it going to be the gamers game. Mario Odyssey and Mario Kart will move units...Splatoon not so much. It will be interesting to see how much ad time and exposure they give it.

My dude, Splatoon sold over 4 million copies on the loving wii u. It's got mass appeal.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

the game looks sparse and ugly compared to what I was playing last - Horizon on PS4 Pro.

I 100% don't understand this mindset. The only way I can parse this is "realistic = pretty, stylized = ugly"

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Cartoon Man posted:

Splatoon did very well. It did real good numbers in Japan as well. When it releases its going to be next to a Zelda game and Mario Kart. Also possibly Arms.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Splatoon 2 is going to crush

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Lemming posted:

I 100% don't understand this mindset. The only way I can parse this is "realistic = pretty, stylized = ugly"

The guy says he's 36 but this comment reads more like something a 13 year old would say.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Lemming posted:

It's artistically beautiful, as I said. I appreciate it as an amazing looking game within the restrictions of the hardware. But it does not look like a current gen game on a 4K TV. Edges "shimmer" in movement, textures are low res, and with very little on screen compared to modern games.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

The guy says he's 36 but this comment reads more like something a 13 year old would say.

*sigh* Are we really gonna go this route

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Mar 7, 2017

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

drat, guess I'm wrong then. That means 1 in 4? 1 in 5 Wii U owners got Splatoon? It just didn't seem likely but I googled it up you guys were right.

I really hope Nintendo jumps on it with a media blitz then.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Sony = Good
Nintendo = bad

How is this hard to comprehend?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

By December 2016, Nintendo reported lifetime sales of (the wii u) 13.56

As of December 31, 2016, total sales (of splatoon)reached 4.76 million copies

edit: Super Mario 3D World. 5.47 million pcs.

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 7, 2017

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I am one of the few who didn't get Splatoon despite owning a Wii U but I'm going to buy the gently caress out of Splatoon 2.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
splatoon was insanely good

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

mdemone posted:

ocarina was more impressive in terms of doing what hadn't been done.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
I'm worried Splatoon 2 is going to be Splatoon but with more gimmicky stuff and costumes, I really hate costumes in video games. What about new gamesplat, or new ideas. It looks like the exact same game.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Nolgthorn posted:

I'm worried Splatoon 2 is going to be Splatoon but with more gimmicky stuff and costumes, I really hate costumes in video games. What about new gamesplat, or new ideas. It looks like the exact same game.

This is my fear too. I played it at the DC event, and it was quite fun, but it really did just feel like more of the same.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

it has an all new single player campaign

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I will buy Splatoon if Nintendo actually figure out party chat.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

It's artistically beautiful, as I said. I appreciate it as an amazing looking game within the restrictions of the hardware. But it does not look like a current gen game on a 4K TV. Edges "shimmer" in movement, textures are low res, and with very little on screen compared to modern games.

This is the mindset I'm saying I don't get. The game flat out looks incredible. I agree there are visual artifacts present that could be improved if the hardware was better, but it really doesn't make much of a difference at all.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I'm not sure why people don't want more Splatoon: now with pants and less bullshit roller flicking :confused:

What do people want changed? Ok wait I want one thing REGIONAL MATCHMATCHING

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

eonwe posted:

splatoon was insanely good

:eonwe: has the right and good opinion

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Splatoon 2 will launch Nintendo's paid online and I may hate paying an extra 40 Aud a year for it.

Japan would probably hate subs too

VermiciousKnid84
May 28, 2004
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
OP might want to stick a link to http://www.anandtech.com/show/11181/a-look-at-nintendo-switch-power-consumption in the first post, because it's kind of a master resource for figuring out if your power adapter or power pack will work well with the Switch.

The tl:dr (as I understand it) is that the Switch tablet itself should charge just fine with a 15v/2a charger, and pretty much any USB C cable (2.0/3.0 doesn't matter). A common 5v/3a USB C phone charger will probably work okay with the Switch, but they won't really charge the battery while you're playing, they just supply enough charge to stop the battery from draining. Even though the AC adapter that ships with the Switch is a kind of weird 39W, the tablet itself only uses up to 30W. The remaining 9W are for the dock to charge whatever is plugged into its USB ports.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, and don't blame me if your Switch blows up from using 3rd party chargers / cables!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Anidav posted:

Splatoon 2 will launch Nintendo's paid online and I may hate paying an extra 40 Aud a year for it.

Japan would probably hate subs too

I guess the reason we don't have Splatoon 2 now is that the online isn't ready yet. Doesn't seem like it would take them long to develop the game.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Well then go play those current gen games

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Zelda looks loving amazing, tia

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

LethalGeek posted:

By December 2016, Nintendo reported lifetime sales of (the wii u) 13.56

As of December 31, 2016, total sales (of splatoon)reached 4.76 million copies

edit: Super Mario 3D World. 5.47 million pcs.

jesus 14 million units sold is pathetic

how is the switch doing so far

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Nolgthorn posted:

Well then go play those current gen games

I like and appreciate the game and am looking forward to playing more after just playing for a couple hours. Holy moley, didn't realize this was a Glowing Praise Only zone.

vvv thank you. The hostile reaction to my overall positive comments is insane.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I think you guys need to calm down just a tad because someone might have different critique then you.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

I like and appreciate the game and am looking forward to playing more after just playing for a couple hours. Holy moley, didn't realize this was a Glowing Praise Only zone.

vvv thank you. The hostile reaction to my overall positive comments is insane.

its probably because nintendo fans are insane

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

I was making fun of the comparison of literally the newest aaa game on the newest console with current gen games. I dunno what you guys are on about.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Bleh moved my Switch to my main TV and since it's nearly on the other side of the house I'm getting a weak wifi signal. Guess it's time to invest in a range extender finally

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I'm really curious if Splatoon 2 keeps up the momentum or if it was a one-time phenomenon. Like is the market for a casual fresh shooter the same as it was two years ago?

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Lemming posted:

I showed my friend BOTW the other day, and she said that it looked nice, but it was too "pixeley" for her and she thought the beautiful graphics of Twilight Princess on GameCube were much better.

There's no accounting for taste!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

acksplode posted:

It's so good it makes up for Twilight Princess too. It's a loving revelation. I played about 15-17 hours this weekend and they flew by like nothing. I'm almost literally going to live inside Hyrule for the next week or two.

Seriously dude. Not only makes up for TP but SS as well. I now point to BOTW when my friends ask me why I hate those games since I always called them boring, and I would tell them I wanted something new. TP was so rehashed and SS was just boring/frustrating for me.

• Locked thread