Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
So Paul overclocked his R7s and ran Cinebench R15 on them all, the 1800X at 4GHz hit 82.13C, however his 1700 at 3.9GHz only hit 48.25C. This seems like the R7 hits huge wall starting somewhere between 3.9 and 4GHz. I expected it to be there, but this seems really quite extreme.

Edit: I forgot that the temperature monitoring is probably still hosed up right now...

Anarchist Mae fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Risky Bisquick posted:

My 'preorder' cpu ships March 8th, my 'preorder' motherboard ships March 13th :downs:

Same. Comes with the territory of living in Canada. My CPU just shipped from California this morning, even though they charged me for it on Thursday. The mobo won't be shipped until the 7th, is what they say, however just double checking it it said that my mobo is now available on March 2nd. Hmm... Strange strange. Why hasn't it shipped if they're available?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

buglord posted:

Has any goon here got a Ryzen build yet?
Friend's computer store pre-ordered a 1700X along with an MSI Tomahawk B350 for a floor model CAD system, no POST. RMAd both the board and CPU but will be waiting awhile for replacements. Bad luck!

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Measly Twerp posted:

So Paul overclocked his R7s and ran Cinebench R15 on them all, the 1800X at 4GHz hit 82.13C, however his 1700 at 3.9GHz only hit 48.25C. This seems like the R7 hits huge wall starting somewhere between 3.9 and 4GHz. I expected it to be there, but this seems really quite extreme.

Edit: I forgot that the temperature monitoring is probably still hosed up right now...

The 1700 has a lower TDP than the 1700X or 1800X, maybe they're binned or something. Either way there seems to be no reason to buy anything other than the 1700.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dante80 posted:

Those are salvaged chips

Source?

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

buglord posted:

Has any goon here got a Ryzen build yet?

I want to build one just because. Keep going back and forth whether I should wait a revision. I don't need it for any reason but I want to build a Micro ATX one.

It's how chip fab works...

jpl9330
Oct 3, 2013
My 1800X gets here tomorrow, but my ASRock Taichi is on backorder and will show up whenever Newegg gets stock again.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
I'm still waiting on a decent motherboard to come into stock. I can't preorder because I'm going to be gone for a week soon, but I've ordered everything else

Edit: Jk just checked and the asrock x370 killer is in stock

gwrtheyrn fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 6, 2017

eames
May 9, 2009

Buying Ryzen at at the moment seems to be very much like paying to join a hardware public beta test*. Perhaps that's one part of the reason why mainstream/budget SKUs were pushed back.

*I'm not saying that can't be fun. Although things like Asus' flagship mainboard getting stuck during a completely random BIOS reflash that pops up after POST are not my definition of fun. :v:

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

eames posted:

Buying Ryzen at at the moment seems to be very much like paying to join a hardware public beta test*. Perhaps that's one part of the reason why mainstream/budget SKUs were pushed back.

*I'm not saying that can't be fun. Although things like Asus' flagship mainboard getting stuck during a completely random BIOS reflash that pops up after POST are not my definition of fun. :v:

At the same time I really do need more cores/threads than an quad-core provides, so my options are amd 8 core that's new and teething or an intel hex core that is going to be superseded in a couple months.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

gwrtheyrn posted:

At the same time I really do need more cores/threads than an quad-core provides, so my options are amd 8 core that's new and teething or an intel hex core that is going to be superseded in a couple months.

The budget barnburner option if you need a bunch of threads is tracking down a dual Socket 2011 mobo and dropping in 2 used E5-2670s, which can be had for literally $70 all day long on eBay. 8 cores each, 2.6 GHz base clock.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Twerk from Home posted:

The budget barnburner option if you need a bunch of threads is tracking down a dual Socket 2011 mobo and dropping in 2 used E5-2670s, which can be had for literally $70 all day long on eBay. 8 cores each, 2.6 GHz base clock.

For people just in the market for MORE CORES, stuff like Dell's enterprise off lease site frequently has outrageously good deals on both servers and workstations. They frequently run stuff like 40% off sales resulting in a server with 2x E5-2470 v2s (10 core, 3.2hz turbo), 384 gigs of ram, and 48tb worth of drives going out the door for ~2500$.

Yea, they're all going to be SB or IVB chips, but when you get so many cores then it's irrelevant.

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009
Is anyone else wondering why there won't be a 4 core part with all 20MB of cache? Unless the 4c parts really only have one of the dies under the IHS...

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dante80 posted:

It is really a self-defeating argument I think, especially if you place it due to AMD loyalty (I'm not saying that guy is doing it due to that, but a lot of others do).

If you're not familiar with this guy, he almost exclusively produces videos that are pro AMD and anti NVidia/Intel. That doesn't mean he does or does not have good points, but his history is pretty clear.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNxrmUjuEWPOdyl3IWHGNoMnuyO60ABkH

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
there is no way the 4 core CPUs are 8 core chips with half the thing disabled

the 6 maybe, but you can't sell a $150 part that has 50% wasted die area without losing your shirt

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Klyith posted:

there is no way the 4 core CPUs are 8 core chips with half the thing disabled

the 6 maybe, but you can't sell a $150 part that has 50% wasted die area without losing your shirt

You're saying if you already manufactured a wafer of 8-core parts and some of them failed verification on half the cores, it is better to place those in the garbage can than to sell them for $150 each?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Rastor posted:

You're saying if you already manufactured a wafer of 8-core parts and some of them failed verification on half the cores, it is better to place those in the garbage can than to sell them for $150 each?

If you have enough failed octocores to fill the demand for quadcores, you’re doing something wrong.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

We certainly have never accused Global Foundries of being a poo poo fab in this thread

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
What the hell else do you expect them to do about chips that have defects on one of the core areas but otherwise work perfectly fine lol? Toss them and lose out of that portion of the wafer? Or sell it for $150 and get at least some of their money back? And they will sell a ton more of those than the 8 core, so there is alot more volume at a reduced price point. Of course, it is certainly possible theyll make a separate 4 core design too.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
I might be wrong, but I thought Zen was made out of 4 core modules and the ones currently for sale were 2 of those modules.

I figured that the 6 core chips would be some combo of 2 modules with defective or disabled cores, the 4 cores would just be a single module, and the 2 cores would be defective or disable single modules.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Lowen SoDium posted:

I might be wrong, but I thought Zen was made out of 4 core modules and the ones currently for sale were 2 of those modules.

I figured that the 6 core chips would be some combo of 2 modules with defective or disabled cores, the 4 cores would just be a single module, and the 2 cores would be defective or disable single modules.

This is what I also want to know. Will there be different combinations of cores that would change the skus performance ? 1+3, 2+2, 4+0?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Rastor posted:

For reference, current Xeons use 3 distinct dies: There are 10, 15, and 24 core base dies, and those are then harvested down to the relevant core counts for each Xeon SKU.

e: And that 10 core die does get harvested all the way down to quad cores, so it's not completely crazy.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 6, 2017

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Lowen SoDium posted:

yes, that is generally possible (though the modules are on a single piece of silicon, so it's not like you can mix and match.)

intel dual core i3s are not defective i5s. as the price goes does and the number you sell goes up, you can't waste silicon and keep margin

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
The ryzen r7 die is a monolithic structure with two separate 4 core areas surround by support ciruitry.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Did we just see someone learn about the concept of binning?

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Klyith posted:

intel dual core i3s are not defective i5s. as the price goes does and the number you sell goes up, you can't waste silicon and keep margin

I suspect the marginal production cost of an i7 is pretty low (maybe < $5-$20), so yeah Intel could afford to waste silicon and sell disabled i7s​ as i3s.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Yeah, the first 1800X cost hundreds of millions of dollars. The next ones off the line were much cheaper. They absolutely bin, I'm pretty surprised someone is surprised by this.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Busy weekend so had to catch up, but seeing that frametime benchmark sort of validates what I had been seeing on those side by side comparisons of 1800X vs 7700K. The FPS may be competitive or even nearly dead even, but more than once I noticed that there was a little studder in the 7700K's video while the Ryzen side seemed to be smooth. Sometimes the Ryzen got a little as well, but it did seem less often than the i7. That I would feel would be a better gaming metric overall if the R5's can get a similar level of performance out. Top FPS may be lacking, but if they can kill that Frametime with both Ryzen and improve the frametime in the Radon Vega stuff, they could have some smooth gaming combos even if your max FPS isn't 500FPS+ in CS:S.

I also finally got an ASUS Ultrawide G-Sync screen and OMG.... G-Sync is no joke. The Smoothness.............. :swoon:
Also impressed that this old rig can hold 3440X1400 @ 100FPS in BF1 as solid as it can with the now older 980Ti.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

silence_kit posted:

I suspect the marginal production cost of an i7 is pretty low (maybe < $5-$20), so yeah Intel could afford to waste silicon and sell disabled i7s​ as i3s.

I mean, in the even far more extreme case, the lowly E5-2603 v4 (6 cores, no H/T, 1.7ghz base freq) is sold for $213, while using the exact same die that the E5-2667 v4 ( 8 core w/HT, 3.2ghz base freq, List Price: $2057) uses.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

What are the chances that Ryzen cores end up scaling down to something like the E-450/C-60 series that I have past experience in. The Cores of those were still pretty anemic, but the GPU's tied to them made them a lot more potent then you would think on paper.

The E-350 even I have in a old Zotac HTPC comp with a BluRay player, and the GPU handles all the video you can throw at it just fine. Hell even the C-60 can trade blows with Intel's Quad Atom, not quite in CPU performance, but it stomps it with the GPU.

If Ryzen ends up with a nice mobile APU form of the Polaris chip it could be good times indeed.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Man, I kind of like that Taichi board. ASRock is going to own my balls for the next few years, Hurry up with your stupid desktop board that accepts MXM so I can do something with this stupid M2000M I have, you assholes.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Is it done to make fusing off core groups easier to achieve?

E- partly

I mean that when they make their APUs, they go into the software, they copy-paste a single four-core complex onto a fresh sheet, and have a design that's just 4 cores, and not taking the world's tiniest chainsaw to cut an eight-core complex in half.

Measly Twerp posted:

Our favourite Scot talks about the Ryzen launch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylvdSnEbL50

I thought our favorite Scot was t Wasson? When did *that* change? :confused:

EdEddnEddy posted:

What are the chances that Ryzen cores end up scaling down to something like the E-450/C-60 series that I have past experience in. The Cores of those were still pretty anemic, but the GPU's tied to them made them a lot more potent then you would think on paper.

The E-350 even I have in a old Zotac HTPC comp with a BluRay player, and the GPU handles all the video you can throw at it just fine. Hell even the C-60 can trade blows with Intel's Quad Atom, not quite in CPU performance, but it stomps it with the GPU.

If Ryzen ends up with a nice mobile APU form of the Polaris chip it could be good times indeed.

There are slides out there that say that Zen scales all the way down to 4W with Raven Ridge. Given what we know about how Zen is not a high-frequency architecture, and now the recent case of someone underclocking their Ryzen down to 30W, this does not appear to be an idle claim on AMD's part.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Mar 6, 2017

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Risky Bisquick posted:

My 'preorder' cpu ships March 8th, my 'preorder' motherboard ships March 13th :downs:

I walked into microcenter and bought the chip and board, today.

I was weak.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

silence_kit posted:

While the marginal production cost might be pretty low, you still have to compensate for the billions and billions of dollars spent in research, so it's not as simple as Intel earning a few hundred dollars of profit for every CPU sold.

Same reason why medicine is so expensive in the United States. The vast majority of pharmaceutical research is performed in the U.S., often by private entities, and recouping that cost means selling your product significantly above the marginal production cost.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Iron Rose posted:

While the marginal production cost might be pretty low, you still have to compensate for the billions and billions of dollars spent in research, so it's not as simple as Intel earning a few hundred dollars of profit for every CPU sold.

Same reason why medicine is so expensive in the United States. The vast majority of pharmaceutical research is performed in the U.S., often by private entities, and recouping that cost means selling your product significantly above the marginal production cost.

Yes but the question was whether the marginal cost savings of a smaller die is worth the retooling.

For that question, marginal cost and the cost of retooling are important. The development cost of the architecture is not.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Having separate production for lower skus isn't free either.

Also, I feel like the heatsink is going to hold up my build. All of my orders have processed now, except my heatsink order is still in order validation on newegg :argh:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
What, didn't you get a cooler with your processor? You know, the one that AMD keeps touting?

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

SwissArmyDruid posted:

What, didn't you get a cooler with your processor? You know, the one that AMD keeps touting?

Only the 1700 comes with a fan right? Because stock fans almost surely can't hit 3.9-4.0 Ghz with Ryzen.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Risky Bisquick posted:

That's just the effect of more (fast) cores in that specific game. This does show that we need more affordable 8 core cpus for gaming I agree. This is the 'smoothness' some reviewers were talking about.

Another example

With more cores

Eh, listening to Wendell it sounds like this really isn't the core advantage coming into effect with the way threads are getting assigned, in fact without the patched scheduler it should be even more aggravated as the Ryzen goes through a poo poo ton of stalls.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Toalpaz posted:

Only the 1700 comes with a fan right? Because stock fans almost surely can't hit 3.9-4.0 Ghz with Ryzen.

My last experience with a stock cooler was on a phenom ii x4 which had no heat pipes, was insanely loud, and let the CPU get to like 80c at load with no overclock :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Klyith posted:

yes, that is generally possible (though the modules are on a single piece of silicon, so it's not like you can mix and match.)

Ah, that is what I didn't know.

• Locked thread