Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Biomute posted:

(I am not counting AVP for poo poo).

AVP R was generally terrible, but the "small isolated town infested by xenos" bits of it was far and away the most interesting part of the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Allen western set on a colony world where the local company officer has to rally the locals against a nest of xenomorphs that survived a research vessel crash

No joke there is an Aliens comic with the premise of "What if Aliens ran amok in Westworld?".

Also the original AvP comic had "Western" elements, with the humans being space-rancher colonists on a backwater desert planet, armed with the futuristic equivalent of civilian small-arms rather than military gear.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
After the trifecta of Wild Wild West, Cowboys and Aliens, and Jonah Hex I never want to see another weird wild west movie again.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Neo Rasa posted:

After the trifecta of Wild Wild West, Cowboys and Aliens, and Jonah Hex I never want to see another weird wild west movie again.
Didn't see Jonah Hex, Wild Wild West would have worked better if it weren't tied to an existing series (it's also been a decade since I've seen it), and I thought Cowboys and Aliens had some interesting ideas.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

But Westworld?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

Resurrection specifically references Ripley's death, etc.

References in the sense that she is not dead.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Wait, the kid is ripley in Alien vs Predator 2. How can Danny mcBride be Ripley's father?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lmao no it isn't.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

dont even fink about it posted:

The Blomkamp project is probably dead, but he hasn't made a bad movie yet despite being given plenty of rope to hang himself on ambitious productions.

Y'all never see the utter shite that was Chappie then? I try to ignore that bollocks exists too, it started off so well, the premise of an AI learning as a human would at an accelerated rate is something you could to lots with. Alas the concept was squandered and we got Die Antwoord doing soundtrack and art direction as well as being poo poo actors to boot and then some weird Hugh Jackman going apeshit using an ED-209 to shoot people because reasons... When the best actor in your film isn't actually a human actor you hosed up.

That poo poo was loving terrible, definitely a bomb on his record. Elysium was decent but 'cmon man, claiming he hasn't made a bad movie just isn't true.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

References in the sense that she is not dead.

They specifically mention the planet from Alien3 when they tell Ripley how they brought her back.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Y'all never see the utter shite that was Chappie then? I try to ignore that bollocks exists too, it started off so well, the premise of an AI learning as a human would at an accelerated rate is something you could to lots with. Alas the concept was squandered and we got Die Antwoord doing soundtrack and art direction as well as being poo poo actors to boot and then some weird Hugh Jackman going apeshit using an ED-209 to shoot people because reasons... When the best actor in your film isn't actually a human actor you hosed up.

That poo poo was loving terrible, definitely a bomb on his record. Elysium was decent but 'cmon man, claiming he hasn't made a bad movie just isn't true.

It was R-rated Short Circuit, what more do you want? Steve Guttenberg?

They should have brought back Fisher Stevens as Chappie's creator though.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
Elysium was squandered potential in plot terms. They could have kept the general Marxist tone of the setting and climaxed with actually overthrowing the system, instead it makes a hard left into universal healthcare deus ex machina.
Also Jodie Foster was terrible.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Chapple loving ruled though??? Also I'm pretty sure Sharlto Copley is an actual dude, not an IRL robot, though the sheer amount of random poo poo he shows up in kind of makes me wonder sometimes (he is the best part of Chappie, though, agreed- his performance pretty much carries it)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Chapple loving ruled

Hell yes. Everyone in that movie was awesome. It does drag a little bit in the middle between when they first start talking about the big heist and all of that coming to a head but I love that movie.

Hugh Jackman's corporate douchebag in wannabe "hard worker" boots and stuff is like textbook perfect, I hate how many people I've met like that.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Yeah, trying to figure out how it's a problem that the titular character of your movie has the best performance, especially when that means you've overcome the potential difficulty of getting the audience to engage with a robot.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/03/06/ridley-scott-is-prepared-to-make-alien-movies-for-the-next-six-years

quote:

"If you really want a franchise, I can keep cranking it for another six. I'm not going to close it down again. No way."

Yes please.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

What was the deal with Jodie Foster's character anyway? They changed the character's name and reshot everything and it still wasn't that great, what happened?

I love Elysium's ending because they don't give people universal healthcare at the end, they give them humanity. There's no "these people can use the health machines" switch in the program. The only change they make at the end is for the computer to recognize everyone as a citizen instead of only people born on Elysium. Healthcare is what the movie is about on its face but it has more to say about how we handle immigrants than anything else. The movie literally ends with the only border that exists in the film's setting being destroyed, and I think it's powerful that that border isn't even a physical one but instead literally an artificial construct on a computer screen.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Mar 6, 2017

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Slugworth posted:

getting the audience to engage with a Number One Gangsta Robot.

One small correction necessary.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Aw nah, please make other movies too.

Also Chappie owns.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

married but discreet posted:

Aw nah, please make other movies too.

Also Chappie owns.

Dude made Martian between Prometheus and Covenant, I wouldn't put it past Ridley to pepper a couple more dingers between his Alien opuses (opii?).

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

They specifically mention the planet from Alien3 when they tell Ripley how they brought her back.

Thus none of that matters.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

man i do like ridley's work ethic. even his bad films aren't outrageously bad; guy is content to just make whatever he fancies. the clint eastwood work ethic

not sayin all 6 years of alien films will be any good at all, but the idea of a dedicated director compared to scattershot "hey this guy made a movie that looked cool lets get him" approach might work in its favour

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Thus none of that matters.
The events still took place, and the movie acknowledged them specifically.

By your logic, Alien3 "completely ignores" 'Aliens' because none of the events of that movie matter once 'Alien3' brings the Alien back and kills all the survivors.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

By your logic, Alien3 "completely ignores" 'Aliens' because none of the events of that movie matter once 'Alien3' brings the Alien back and kills all the survivors.

I mean if you'll recall the person who started that said exactly that, yes.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Aliens 'retconned' Alien (makes no mention of Mother, blames the events of that film entirely on the creature and Ash being 'glitchy'), and Alien 3 retconned Aliens (makes no mention of the criminal Burke, blames the events of that film on official company policy). Prometheus also retcons both AVP and AVP:R out of existence.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i wish the wooden planet monk version of the movie was made.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Groovelord Neato posted:

i wish the wooden planet monk version of the movie was made.

But only as a retcon of Aliens, it's the only way it could work.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

See that's where you hosed up. SMG is not a person.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I wish that Meme would get killed like Hicks and Newt.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

you'd have to rewrite the end to the wood planet script because it was very stupid and it was dumb the alien could camo.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Elysium is about a Mexican named MATT DAMON Karl Marx Max, that fights rich white people to give everyone free healthcare. They like shoot the mexicans that fly in space vans to the space stations too, like get the gently caress out of here you earth trash.

Ooooooh watch Elysium, and become worldly with me guys!

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 7, 2017

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

Pretty much! Don't negate the premise.

After Aliens, the movies talk about the others in the sense that they bother to say "By the way, this didn't really happen and we're starting over with a new premise." Alien 3 actively denies the basis of the previous movies by doing things like re-purposing Ripley's last transmission from the Nostromo.

Getting back to the point, it therefore doesn't really matter to me if Blomkamp makes a movie about Newt and Hicks. Franchises with multiple timelines interacting with each other (X-Men, Terminator, Star Trek, Looper, Cloud Atlas) are very much in vogue anyway, we should have all been taught by now how to read this kind of material. Alien movies have generally always been unconcerned with time and space.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!

I'm down for this.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

There's been quite a few Ridley Scott interviews where he says something along the lines of "There's a French saying, 'Work to live.' Not me, I live to work." It's why he's always attached to so many projects, so as soon as one gets greenlit he can immediately begin production and never gets stuck twiddling his thumbs for years pursuing one film.

So, Covenant doing well enough that he could pitch a package of back to back sequels like LotR or the Avatar sequels probably sounds really good to him. (It sounds good to me too).

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
He's picked up some since his brother died too. Could be a bunch of reasons for that though, its easy to play armchair psychiatrist.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!

Basebf555 posted:

He's picked up some since his brother died too. Could be a bunch of reasons for that though, its easy to play armchair psychiatrist.

I'm 100% fine with Ridley Scott working out his issues on the big screen.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

Not really? Aside from last year he's done a film a year for the last six years since his brothers death, the one year gap being due to the longer production of Covenant. But the same is true if you look at the six preceding years? Dude has always worked a lot.

Edit: Since Gladiator in 2000, the only years he didn't release films were 2016 (Due to Covenant's long production cycle), 2011 (Due to Prometheus' long development cycle), 2002 (Due to Kingdom of Heaven's long development cycle), and 2002 (But he made two films in 2001).

2000 is the year he stepped back from directing commercials, which were the reason there were multiyear gaps in the '80s and '90s. Since the mid '80s he has kept a pretty strict schedule of taking 3 months out of the year to relax with family, and spending the rest of the time either in production, or overlapping post/pre-production. The death of his brother in 1980 was the last time he took more than a year off from both film and commercial production (Which led to the cancellation of his Dune, but the genesis of Blade Runner.)

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 7, 2017

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Tenzarin posted:

Elysium is about a Mexican named MATT DAMON Karl Marx Max, that fights rich white people to give everyone free healthcare. They like shoot the mexicans that fly in space vans to the space stations too, like get the gently caress out of here you earth trash.

Ooooooh watch Elysium, and become worldly with me guys!

Genuinely fascinating to see that Elysium rubs so many American viewers the wrong way. This is one of the tamer responses of course, but it's so bizarre that the film generates this kind of reaction.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ImpAtom posted:

Oh, yeah, I've got him on ignore so I didn't see that post.

He's mis-using "retcon", though. Like, the way he's using it, isn't what the word means.
Well except for his bit about Prometheus retconning the AvP movies, that's (ambiguously) accurate.

Pretty much! Don't negate the premise.

After Aliens, the movies talk about the others in the sense that they bother to say "By the way, this didn't really happen and we're starting over with a new premise." Alien 3 actively denies the basis of the previous movies by doing things like re-purposing Ripley's last transmission from the Nostromo.

Getting back to the point, it therefore doesn't really matter to me if Blomkamp makes a movie about Newt and Hicks. Franchises with multiple timelines interacting with each other (X-Men, Terminator, Star Trek, Looper, Cloud Atlas) are very much in vogue anyway, we should have all been taught by now how to read this kind of material. Alien movies have generally always been unconcerned with time and space.

But the movies do explicitly acknowledge that each other took place. Just because everyone dies at the start of Alien3 and Ripley essentially accomplished nothing in Aliens doesn't mean the narrative didn't occur. All those events took place, it just led to a point where it ultimately didn't matter. The egg(s) on the Sulaco that put the events of Alien3 in motion wouldn't have been there were it not for the events of the prior movie.

Saying that things "didn't happen" just because it's a zero-sum equation or because the outcome "didn't matter" is a pretty wacky false equivocation. By that logic, most noir stories "didn't happen" because the protagonist ends up no better or worse than when they started.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

SUNKOS posted:

Genuinely fascinating to see that Elysium rubs so many American viewers the wrong way. This is one of the tamer responses of course, but it's so bizarre that the film generates this kind of reaction.

I am also willing to say Elysium is nothing more than a Johnny Mnemonic reboot. Hell in Johnny Mnemonic at least Ice T helped give the computer seizure remedy to the world at the end with the help of the hacker dolphin!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

SUNKOS posted:

I like that so many think the rich keeping healthcare from the poor is unrealistic.