Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
Playing RE7 with the circular saw completely unbalances the game but is also fun as hell. On Madhouse, I just shrugged whenever Jack respawned and ground his face off again. It works effortlessly for the four-legged Molded, who I freaking hate.

It's also good for "Back Off Mrs B!" trophy if you just want to knock that one out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

I just started RE7 yesterday totally blind and so far I lost my loving hand to Mia and her chainsaw and then was murdered when she came into the attic.

I wasn't even mad when I got my first "You Have Died" screen. It's a personal badge of honor with this series, although I feel like my attempt to get away by shooting was a terrible idea.

#TeamNotDead rides again I suppose.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
I'm not gonna play RE7, but I've watched a couple of LPs of it and I have to ask: Does the terrible FOV actually do anything for the game? It just seems so unnecessarily tiny. I can sort of see how it's functional on a TV, but I can't imagine playing a game in 65(or however much it is) FOV on a PC without getting a headache or something.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Foxhound posted:

I'm not gonna play RE7, but I've watched a couple of LPs of it and I have to ask: Does the terrible FOV actually do anything for the game? It just seems so unnecessarily tiny. I can sort of see how it's functional on a TV, but I can't imagine playing a game in 65(or however much it is) FOV on a PC without getting a headache or something.

The LPs were probably of the console versions. The FOV can go up to 90 in the PC version. Though it's still too narrow for 21:9 monitors.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
https://twitter.com/HetzerGonnaHetz/status/834203678970150912/

Dead by Daylight is a real good game :allears:

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The LPs were probably of the console versions. The FOV can go up to 90 in the PC version. Though it's still too narrow for 21:9 monitors.

Yeah the ones I watched were on PS4, though one was in VR. I thought I read something about the PC fov being limited too, but if it goes to 90 that's alright then.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Relin posted:

i guess the house abandon is getting another game like it? it seemed pretty bad when i played it, people got stuck on the exact same spots as i did
It looks like the game got a steam page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/558420/

Honestly it looks pretty interesting and I did have fun with 'The House Abandon', minus the specific text parsing.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

So in the RE7 Bedroom DLC there's a random cutscene where Jack and Marguerite argue over Clancy being in the house, causing her to get so upset she runs in and stabs you, causing Jack to come after her and apologize and say he loves her. I just can't with this game.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

al-azad posted:

As a proof of concept I would love seeing it expanded as a Gone Home esque thing where you're a kid home alone during a storm playing this game no one heard of that you bought off Yahoo Auction or something. Occasionally you have to get off the computer to check something out because your house is interacting with the game.

I always thought a fun horror/surrealism game in that line could revolve around a bunch of kids getting alternate copies of some popular/old game, and being able to follow a story line that while not necessarily affecting the real world, would at least feel like some shared conspiracy with them owning the only copies. Essentially every playground lie scenario but taken to a more logical extreme.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

I've never played it myself but that reminds me of the concept of Nanashi no Game.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I always wanted to see a horror game about escapism itself where the more you play the game, the less real and hostile everything outside of it feels. maybe something like Silent Hill the Room where every time you step out of the game within the game, the house and locations around it become more oppressive. You start to get followed and maybe even attacked by people who look less human and more like shapeless clumps of data. Maybe even the room you play in becomes hellish except for the screen playing "the game".

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Mar 2, 2017

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

discworld is all I read posted:

It looks like the game got a steam page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/558420/

Honestly it looks pretty interesting and I did have fun with 'The House Abandon', minus the specific text parsing.

I think they improved the text parsing, it seems to be a bit more forgiving about what you type in? It's a fun little game, and the other stories are interesting as well, it's a good experiment of the genre.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Crabtree posted:

I always wanted to see a horror game about escapism itself where the more you play the game, the less real and hostile everything outside of it feels. maybe something like Silent Hill the Room where every time you step out of the game within the game, the house and locations around it become more oppressive. You start to get followed and maybe even attacked by people who look less human and more like shapeless clumps of data. Maybe even the room you play in becomes hellish except for the screen playing "the game".

It doesn't have much to do with your idea but it vaguely reminded me of Dont chat with strangers

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Crabtree posted:

That's a really cool idea, and I hope it gets made some day.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I want a horror game where it's first person, someone is trapped in a house and there's a section where they have to travel a hallway again and again.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

First person
No weapons
You're looking for notes
A monster is stalking you but you can't look at it or else the screen turns fuzzy

Why is nobody making this???

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

ovaries posted:

I've never played it myself but that reminds me of the concept of Nanashi no Game.

Is there a good silent longplay of this that you'd recommend, ideally on some kind of english romhack?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Skyscraper posted:

Is there a good silent longplay of this that you'd recommend, ideally on some kind of english romhack?

The lparchive has some videos, and an lp that's a blend of video and screenshot that's pretty good: https://lparchive.org/title/nanashi

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Morpheus posted:

The lparchive has some videos, and an lp that's a blend of video and screenshot that's pretty good: https://lparchive.org/title/nanashi

Oh, thanks!

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

ovaries posted:

Kinda along those lines. I imagined it could work as a partly online deal, where in the game you're in text-talk by computer or phone with the only other kids who have the game, and they're your only source of advancing and vice-versa. Likely unique copies of an older game, or an entirely new one nobody else knows about. I'd like to explore more of that feeling you get from games when creepy poo poo happens without it having to shovel in ghosts or threatening blood words. More the sensation of some improbability ending you up somewhere you weren't meant to be, and that resultant feeling of wanting to see more of something hidden and forbidden, and being unnerved by what could go wrong.

Like, to better describe the idea for the premise, what if the secret worlds in Metroid were more factual? Imagine playing a game only to suddenly stumble into another ten game's worth of lost and sealed off content, a messy unknown mass of missing plot lines, events, etc. Without relying on something like 'spoopy spirits in the game' or attacking the player or whatever.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Skyscraper posted:

Oh, thanks!
Also through the LP, the sequel managed to get an English patch applied as well. Was pretty happy to have gotten that facilitated in some small way. Both were pretty interesting games and honestly stand out horror titles for the DS, which didn't have much in the way of good horror sadly.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Crabtree posted:

SuperhotVR does exactly this.

I mean, it doesn't immediately present itself as a horror game, and I won't spoil it, but it definitely is what you described and it is really loving cool.

House Abandon also does the same sort of thing, to a certain extent? But it's pretty limited.

I'm pretty sure I've seen it done elsewhere at least once before, but I can't remember where.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Also through the LP, the sequel managed to get an English patch applied as well. Was pretty happy to have gotten that facilitated in some small way. Both were pretty interesting games and honestly stand out horror titles for the DS, which didn't have much in the way of good horror sadly.

Shame that the actual cell phone game never got translated. Far as I know, there's no legal way of getting a copy of the game now. Square Enix pulled it from all the stores.

RadicalR fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 3, 2017

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

RadicalR posted:

Shame that the actual cell phone game never got translated. Far as I know, there's no legal way of getting a copy of the game now. Square Enix pulled it from all the stores.
Yeah, honestly the thought process behind Nanashi not getting out (or at least how it did in some limited way) was super weird. Like there were stories going around that the game never got a larger release due to focus groups being confused by the first person perspective and the fact that it wasn't a shooter or some type of action title. And then there was the fact that there was a game related to the series that was released outside of Japan; but it only took a small portion of the sequel and had references and easter eggs referencing the games....and it just ended up being a mobile janky pixel platformer.

It's nice though to think of this extremely meta game and how a portion of it's spooky history forever lost, or that there's a mystery phone out there that still has the game on it and it's waiting to spread it's evil around.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Yeah, honestly the thought process behind Nanashi not getting out (or at least how it did in some limited way) was super weird. Like there were stories going around that the game never got a larger release due to focus groups being confused by the first person perspective and the fact that it wasn't a shooter or some type of action title.
That's just what Square Enix wants you to think. Playtesters kept on dying in mysterious circumstances, and Square Enix had to cover it up.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Crabtree posted:

Skyscraper posted:

That's a really cool idea, and I hope it gets made some day.

Something along those lines is brought up in a later chapter of Night in the Woods.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

eatenmyeyes posted:

Something along those lines is brought up in a later chapter of Night in the Woods.
You know, I had suspected that game had some horror stuff underneath, but haven't looked since release to confirm it. Thanks!

GlyphGryph posted:

SuperhotVR does exactly this.
Man, that's rough. I'm going to be a VR late adopter, and I feel like I'm missing out. (also thanks)

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Any general gameplay tips for Lakeview Cabin Collection? I love the concept but sometimes feel like I have no loving clue what's going on or how to slow down the killer, much less stop them. Or if I'm supposed to stop them.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Lakeview 3? The first episode? Think like the Scooby Doo crew and set traps. Also a full speed motorcycle can be jumped off of to make it a deadly projectile. You should be focusing on the objects in the world and how they can be weaponized. You should only attack the killer head on as a last resort.

brand name canned soup
Aug 20, 2009

So no one told you life was gonna be this way
(clap clap clap clap)
Your job's a joke, you're broke, your love life's D.O.A.
(clap clap clap clap)
Anyone tried Stories Untold yet? I appreciated The House Abandon for playing with the text adventure format but found it kind of simplistic and one-note. Do the other stories do anything different or interesting to make the package worth ten bucks?

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

brand name canned soup posted:

Anyone tried Stories Untold yet? I appreciated The House Abandon for playing with the text adventure format but found it kind of simplistic and one-note. Do the other stories do anything different or interesting to make the package worth ten bucks?

It does do different things with the format. I wish it was somewhat longer, but it's tight and doesn't overstay its welcome. It's worth picking up sooner or later.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The first two episodes are great, the second two.....not so much. I think the game would've been much better if the episodes were stand-alone. The plot twist was really lame, and retroactively made the first two episodes worse.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
How do I do good on the first boss fight of RE7? The one with the Chainsaw duel

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

The Vosgian Beast posted:

How do I do good on the first boss fight of RE7? The one with the Chainsaw duel

Lure him to a bag, stagger him with it, shoot him in the head. Repeat until he unlocks the chainsaws. Grab yours and use LMB + RMB for the stab attack. Block whenever he swings at you.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ovaries posted:

I had somehow had never heard of this and now I'm totally going to play it.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

So I just gave Stories Untold a spin, and while the concept is cool and the stories seem fairly interesting, the text parser is god-awful. I gave up after a while because it didn't recognize any common text parser commands and gives you almost no indication of what the hell you're trying to do. If anyone is on the fence about this one, I'd say skip it or find an LP once they start showing up. It's pretty painful to play. Also the text speed in A House Abandoned is painfully slow. I was really hoping this one would be much better than it is, but it feels like they didn't do any user testing for the game.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

So I just gave Stories Untold a spin, and while the concept is cool and the stories seem fairly interesting, the text parser is god-awful. I gave up after a while because it didn't recognize any common text parser commands and gives you almost no indication of what the hell you're trying to do. If anyone is on the fence about this one, I'd say skip it or find an LP once they start showing up. It's pretty painful to play. Also the text speed in A House Abandoned is painfully slow. I was really hoping this one would be much better than it is, but it feels like they didn't do any user testing for the game.
Well guess what....they did. They released the 'House Abandoned' episode for free and it had the exact same issues; they just probably thought it was fine. Like you'll be at the front door and you'll say 'Open door', and it won't understand. So then you'll try 'Look door' and it'll lovingly describe the door, so you're sure it's there and you can interact with it. So then you'll try ever variation of interacting with the door....only to realize it wants you to just type 'Enter house' or some other overly specific nonsense. Still it's a wonderful idea all the same but I didn't really think a text parser would be that hard to do.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
So Dead by Daylight just announced a free DLC with a new, familiar survivor character

As a result, this means Michael Myers and Bill are in the same canon :allears:

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

MockingQuantum posted:

It's clear they've never actually played a text adventure, they just think the concept is retro cool. Pair that with the hackneyed Stranger Things ripoff aesthetic and I find it hard to get excited about this game. The glowing reviews just make me think there's a desperate need for atmospheric video games that aren't walking simulators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

the black husserl posted:

It's clear they've never actually played a text adventure, they just think the concept is retro cool. Pair that with the hackneyed Stranger Things ripoff aesthetic and I find it hard to get excited about this game. The glowing reviews just make me think there's a desperate need for atmospheric video games that aren't walking simulators.

Most of the people playing Untold Stories have never played a text adventure, and just look at this as a retro cool thing. It's like the single button apple mouse. It makes no sense to those used to how the systems have worked before, but to newcomers it's more intuitive.