Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

The burgers were great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Ex-Aid is a TV show that looks absolutely childish even by Toku standards and the fact that it is constantly surprising and fun is a weekly miracle that I'm happy to watch.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Thanks!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/PowerRangersNOW/status/838556521873174534

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
were they rejected for being actually coherent

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Give them a belt, and those would actually look incredibly good.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
They need an animal theme in the helmets, and yeah a belt, but otherwise these are much stronger designs.

Also look, no tit armor on the girls!

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
their necks confuse me.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Burkion posted:

They need an animal theme in the helmets, and yeah a belt, but otherwise these are much stronger designs.

Also look, no tit armor on the girls!

They kind of have the animal theme if you compare the helmets against each other. It's strongest on the yellow and blue helmets. They could pronounce it better, but I do still like the subtlety.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
The thing is in these rejected suits the helmets have the animal heads while in the the ones in the movie the helmets are complete greebly nonsense except reds.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The mouth plate STILL isn't fantastic but that's a super hard thing to pull off anyways. Easily the weakest aspect of the Zyu design.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
I really really liked Kyuu 4. It gave a reasonable enough explanation for why they're going to be spending the majority of their time on Earth, a handwavey 4th wall reason for a team of 5, Lucky actually had a good moment and some characterization besides just shouting about how lucky he is, and I thought Raptor's little fight showcase was some of the better CG I've seen in sentai. Also the Sailor Moon callback was cute as hell. All in all a really solid episode, and I hope they can keep that up.

Also, uh, about the preview - is that who I think it is? Please keep him around if it is.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I liked the part where Lucky did his part in the episode, then, because the episode wasn't about him, hosed off and let the main characters in the episode do all the fighting.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

Darksaber posted:

I really really liked Kyuu 4. It gave a reasonable enough explanation for why they're going to be spending the majority of their time on Earth, a handwavey 4th wall reason for a team of 5, Lucky actually had a good moment and some characterization besides just shouting about how lucky he is, and I thought Raptor's little fight showcase was some of the better CG I've seen in sentai. Also the Sailor Moon callback was cute as hell. All in all a really solid episode, and I hope they can keep that up.

Also, uh, about the preview - is that who I think it is? Please keep him around if it is.

Yes, it's Kamen Rider Zangetsu.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I'm digging Kyurangers much more now. It's still mostly style>substance, but the substance is at least enough and the pacing isn't as hectic. It's a good explosions show.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Darksaber posted:

Agreed. I'm also surprised how much I'm enjoying these goofy aliens. I thought Naga and the Dragon Captain would be annoying but they're played well enough that their goofs come across pretty fun and not just grating.

Also one the beat sentai OPs. Above Go-bus and even Gokai for me.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Agreed. I'm also surprised how much I'm enjoying these goofy aliens. I thought Naga and the Dragon Captain would be annoying but they're played well enough that their goofs come across pretty fun and not just grating.

Also one the beat sentai OPs. Above Go-bus and even Gokai for me.

Go-Bus still stands as my favorite, especially at karaoke, but I agree this one is a treat. It's got a great sense of fun.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
It's jarring going between Agito's (relative) grimdarkness and Zyuranger's 'hey rangers let's go to this lonely kid's birthday party!'. Fun, though.

Also I love how the Zyuranger PSAs are even cheesier than the Power Ranger ones. 'Girls sitting in front of the screen, make sure to grow up big and strong like Mei? What's that? 'Is it alright for mom to be stronger than dad?' Welllllll that's a tough one.'

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I find that hard to believe considering one of the Power Rangers PSAs was literally "You cannot be turned into a cardboard standee by Pineapple the Clown in real life.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

I find that hard to believe considering one of the Power Rangers PSAs was literally "You cannot be turned into a cardboard standee by Pineapple the Clown in real life.

unfortunately false

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Amazons season 2 trailer is out
The next season diverges in some surprising ways that I'll leave for the link.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Ask Me For Warez posted:

Yes, it's Kamen Rider Zangetsu.

It's good to know I wasn't crazy when I watched the preview and said "Hey wait a second, it's that guy!"

Looking up Kyuranger stuff, I found out that Raptor 283 is voiced by the same person who played Luka from Gokaiger, which apparently makes her the second person to play a main Sentai member in two different series, after Jyunichi Haruta. So that's pretty cool.

Still curious to see how the characters in Ex-Aid have somehow managed to avoid noticing the planet being taken over by giant drill robots. :v:

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Raptor is the Akiba Pink of my heart.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Looking up Kyuranger stuff, I found out that Raptor 283 is voiced by the same person who played Luka from Gokaiger, which apparently makes her the second person to play a main Sentai member in two different series, after Jyunichi Haruta. So that's pretty cool.

OZC
Jan 28, 2008

Twelve by Pies posted:

It's good to know I wasn't crazy when I watched the preview and said "Hey wait a second, it's that guy!"

Still curious to see how the characters in Ex-Aid have somehow managed to avoid noticing the planet being taken over by giant drill robots. :v:

Wouldn't Kenji Ohba be the first, making her the 3rd after Ohba and Haruta? Ohba was in Battle Fever J and Denjiman a couple years before Haruta's stint.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hiroshi Miyauchi was in the first and second Sentai ever, as Aoranger and then Big One.

OZC
Jan 28, 2008

Blaze Dragon posted:

Hiroshi Miyauchi was in the first and second Sentai ever, as Aoranger and then Big One.

Oh yeah, good call.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Amazons season 2 trailer is out
The next season diverges in some surprising ways that I'll leave for the link.
I've only gotten around to Amazons in the past couple weeks, so maybe this has already been discussed, but I feel like season 1 had no conviction in what it wanted to be. Like, it was going for the body-horror/bioweapon angle, and then there's the themed motorcycle made by the pharmaceutical company, a talking belt that says "Violent Punish", and a butterfly cowboy monster (butterfly cowboy monster is great, just feels like it should be in a different show). Just tonally dissonant all over. Also, I think how stupid everything about junkyard-guy was handled killed the show for me, because I stopped watching after episode 8.

The Alpha suit was really nice, though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
a grim, serious kamen rider show is still a kamen rider show

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zero_Tactility posted:

I've only gotten around to Amazons in the past couple weeks, so maybe this has already been discussed, but I feel like season 1 had no conviction in what it wanted to be. Like, it was going for the body-horror/bioweapon angle, and then there's the themed motorcycle made by the pharmaceutical company, a talking belt that says "Violent Punish", and a butterfly cowboy monster (butterfly cowboy monster is great, just feels like it should be in a different show). Just tonally dissonant all over. Also, I think how stupid everything about junkyard-guy was handled killed the show for me, because I stopped watching after episode 8.

The Alpha suit was really nice, though.

It's a good show, but it also does sacrifice on its message in ways Kuuga never did.

The violence in Amazons is very stylized and, with a few exceptions, meant to be very cool.

It's kind of half hearted in that way but I can't blame them. Have your cake and eat it too is basically what they're attempting to do.

I personally loved it because even with those flaws, it had way more heart than most Rider in recent years.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

a grim, serious kamen rider show is still a kamen rider show
But I like Kamen Rider shows. Anyway, I'm not bothered about it; it just wasn't for me.

I've been watching Space Sheriff Gavan, and I hope that he never stops action rolling all over the place. He even does a backwards roll up onto a horse, and it is glorious.

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008
Anyone been watching Legend Heroes? The show's got some rough edges for sure and the subtitles can be pretty bad at times, but drat if watching the Three Kingdoms presented as a Rider war doesn't tickle just the right part of my brain.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

She does a lot of VA work now! I don't think I've ever heard her put out a bad performance yet.

EDIT: As far as Amazons go, I feel like there is a point mid-season 1 where you can feel that they realize they have another season to work with and suddenly have to double back on the rush towards a climax they seemed to be setting up.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
What's the best way to watch Kamen Rider ZO? The SegaCD FMV game was my first ever introduction to the franchise. But I never actually saw or "played" it, just saw hype in magazines.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Bite the bullet on whatever subs you can get ahold of.

The dub isn't really worth it.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Burkion posted:

Bite the bullet on whatever subs you can get ahold of.

The dub isn't really worth it.

Yeah, the Dub cuts out a huge amount of the movie. It's hilariously bad though, so it might be worth checking out later (TV-N synced it up to a video as an April Fool's joke a while back as the easiest way to see it).

ZO and J have such a simple plot you could honestly watch them unsubbed and get 90% of it. I'm not a huge Keita Ameniya fan (his Mechanical Violator Hakaider from around that time is just baffling, its a favorite bad movie of mine) but Zo and J both have really strong visuals, choreography, and just boil Shows Rider down to its core.

Grab subs anyway, obviously, if nothing else than to experience the glory of the magic grasshopper telepathy scene in ZO. Guess the crazy guy from Shin was right. :P

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

https://twitter.com/jinmine90/status/838632457465286658

This...actually looks kind of good. I'm definitely interested, even if the opening isn't as good as the actual Kyoryuger's.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Blaze Dragon posted:

The statement was main team members, sixth/extras don't count, so Big One wouldn't count, nor would Beet Buster. Though I guess it's a bit difficult to classify main and extra in Go-Busters when Beet/Stag make a full five man team, or Kyuranger where you have nine team members. So eh. Apparently the wiki I was reading it up on disqualifies Hiroya Matsumoto and Hiroshi Miyauchi due to this. Which would just leave Jyunichi Haruta, who was Goggle Black and Dyna Black.

Blaze Dragon posted:

https://twitter.com/jinmine90/status/838632457465286658

This...actually looks kind of good. I'm definitely interested, even if the opening isn't as good as the actual Kyoryuger's.

Oh hey Torin is alive again somehow?

Wonder if anyone's going to sub it, it looks neat. I want to watch it.

Twelve by Pies fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 7, 2017

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The jackets are actually kinda rad on Kyo2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm fully caught up on Ex-Aid, barring the most recent Japanese episode.

It's good to enjoy Rider again.

• Locked thread