Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

winston is good against genji if you're good at winston. the secret is that winston is hard and most people are very bad at him

e: also I checked with genji, and you can indeed dash out of the deflect. you can also use your ult to cancel it, tho you do still need to draw your sword before you can do anything so that probably isn't gonna save you from being hacked

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

Waterbed Wendy posted:

I personally enjoy breaking out a Winston or Symmetra in those situations because not having to aim as your run him down is great fun and seeing the Genji panic and try to jump away is muy satisfacto

Sym is only a counter to bad genji. Good genji can stay out of her range with relative ease

Seconding roadhog as counter to good genji, but the roadhog must also be good. Genji when played well is a real pain to deal with

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

symmetra/winston/mei/zarya are all over the spectrum when it comes to actually killing a genji but they all benefit when dealing with one by having unreflectable attacks

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Mei is pretty good at countering Genji if you can catch him unaware. Your freeze beam can't be countered and it slows him down so he can't jump all over the place. Plus it only takes one headshot when he's frozen to kill him. And you can iceblock if he starts getting the better of you.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Mei is not a good counter to any character with the mobility to avoid her. In fact, she isn't much of a counter-pick at all; her usefulness is much more closely tied to map selection than to team composition.

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Mei is not a good counter to any character with the mobility to avoid her. In fact, she isn't much of a counter-pick at all; her usefulness is much more closely tied to map selection than to team composition.

I mean hypothetically, if no one on the team can play roadhog or mccree well enough to protect healers from the genji, Mei might not be a terrible last ditch babysitter to at least get him to buzz off, since she just has to m1 in his general direction. She's not going to be able to do anything about his ult tho

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Ice Wall also disrupts Dragonblade at least if you know where he's going to be coming from, since the Genji needs to spend at least a second or two of his ult time going around or above it.

Honestly almost nothing is more satisfying than watching a Genji jump around and throwing up Deflect against your no-aim Winston/Symmetra/Mei beam that goes through shields and deflections.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
There is no real hard counter to Genji, but an aware Zarya is about as close as it's gonna get. Her bubble protects your squishies, her M1 makes Genjis everywhere sad. Winston isn't bad but you're running cross-purpose with his goal to sit back and babysit. A good McCree is the strongest DPS counter, but reflected flashbangs are real and pretty crippling so they have to be confident at not panic flashbanging or getting baited into it.

I come out ahead against Genjis almost every time as Soldier, but you are weak to Dragonblade and you really need good airborne tracking otherwise you'll never land a kill and they'll just scamper away.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

The problem I always run into with Genjis is that he has the mobility between his jumps and his dash to escape from anything that can reliably deal with him. Symmetra, Zarya, Winston, etc. all have range issues where he can get out if he runs into problems. Since a good Genji will only ever use his Dash to get a kill (And thus, get a free dash out of it) or as an escape you can't rely on ambushing him without it up.

Genji is my worst character to fight because he can be as hard to track as Tracer, reflects most of the characters I'm better with, escapes anytime he's low on health and is always aiming for our heals. I don't think he's OP but I do think that his kit is extraordinarily difficult for many people to deal with.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
if youre winston you cant start fighting the genji with a jump initiation, you have to wait until he escapes somewhere before you can use it

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

you're right but mei (and hanzo), actually scares the poo poo out of me as tracer in spite of being at a disadvantage against her, because it doesn't matter how well you play it... sometimes you just instantly lose. I've walked around a corner into prefire icicle spam headshots before and I die a little inside every time

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
i got a 5k ulti in a comp match and not only did i not get potg i didnt even get a highlight after the match!

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Manatee Cannon posted:

you're right but mei (and hanzo), actually scares the poo poo out of me as tracer in spite of being at a disadvantage against her, because it doesn't matter how well you play it... sometimes you just instantly lose. I've walked around a corner into prefire icicle spam headshots before and I die a little inside every time

I ran around the corner into a mccree once and died so fast to his surprise accidental headshot that he flashbanged and fan the hammer'd my corpse before realizing I was already dead. Was funny watching on the replay.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
No one really counters Genji in the sense of reliably shutting him down and then killing him, because his mobility gives him the ability to choose his battles and avoid or escape threats, but there are a lot of characters who zone him just by existing because he doesn't particularly want to get close to them. Mei or Zarya can't really get Genji into their range, but he'll typically prefer to stay away from them, so if they're standing near whoever he wants to kill then he's reduced to just poking people to build ult.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
i honestly just wish winston's gun could do 60 dps through anything and everything (except immunity or zarya shields or whatever) that way he's not completely shut down by a little bit of armor or damage reduction or whatever

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

No one really counters Genji in the sense of reliably shutting him down and then killing him,

except, you know, roadhog

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

technically yes he does so by zoning but roadhog's zoning range is like twice as big as any of the other characters people have mentioned and is backed up by instant death rather than tickle damage

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Snazzy Frocks posted:

i honestly just wish winston's gun could do 60 dps through anything and everything (except immunity or zarya shields or whatever) that way he's not completely shut down by a little bit of armor or damage reduction or whatever

It'd be nice if certain elemental damage had different effects:
-Electricity dealing 10% of its damage to health through shields
-Cold having a reverse effect on armor (Dealing an extra 5 damage per a hit.)
-Energy (Fire/Lasers) leaving a small DoT on the enemy etc.

Game balance would need changes to accommodate, but future characters would be more interesting if they could plan around elemental effects more.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Thor-Stryker posted:

It'd be nice if certain elemental damage had different effects:
-Electricity dealing 10% of its damage to health through shields
-Cold having a reverse effect on armor (Dealing an extra 5 damage per a hit.)
-Energy (Fire/Lasers) leaving a small DoT on the enemy etc.

Game balance would need changes to accommodate, but future characters would be more interesting if they could plan around elemental effects more.

Almost certainly not gonna happen in a game meant to be super accessible and easy to understand. Plus there isn't enough of an elemental aspect to the game for it to make sense, all it'd do is restrict future hero design because then Upcoming Heroes X and Y would be forced to have some ice- or lightning-themed abilities as otherwise having such a system in place would be pointless.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Also Zarya's gun doesn't really need a buff.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
This game would be way better if every time Roadhog hooked Genji, Genji deflected it and Roadhog hooked himself, causing the game to INSTANTLY crash to desktop, or possibly go back in time.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
talk about your meta game

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

This game would be way better if every time Roadhog hooked Genji, Genji deflected it and Roadhog hooked himself, causing the game to INSTANTLY crash to desktop, or possibly go back in time.

FatSamurai
Jul 7, 2004

Seethe, ye rolling clouds, gather thy stormborn might, and SMITE MINE ENEMY WITH THY UNFETTERED FURY!!!

Kai Tave posted:

Also Zarya's gun doesn't really need a buff.

Zarya's gun should sweep across the map like the beacon from a light house and her M2 should be seen from space.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
zarya's gun doesn't uninstall your opponent's game when you kill them so honestly it's not quite good enough for me yet

khy
Aug 15, 2005

IronicDongz posted:

zarya's gun doesn't uninstall your opponent's game when you kill them so honestly it's not quite good enough for me yet

That should happen before being hit by a gun. Ideally it should crash and uninstall the game the second they hit 'confirm' after selecting Widowmaker or Hanzo.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20753516591

Ana nerfs, Sombra and Zen buffs, some weird QOL changes for other characters.

quote:

45 min ago
(Edited)
As we iterate on the PTR patch, we are going to be trying out the following hero changes. These should be up on the PTR very soon, hopefully tomorrow morning. As always these updates are subject to change.

Ana

Biotic Rifle
Damage decreased from 80 to 60

Biotic Grenade
Impact damage reduced from 60 to 30
Impact healing reduced from 100 to 50

Junkrat

No longer hurts himself from his own explosions. (Effect added to current passive: Total Mayhem)

Orisa

Fusion Driver
Magazine size lowered from 200 to 150

Supercharger
Cost increased by 15%

Sombra

Stealth
Sound effects and VO distance for entering and exiting Stealth reduced to 15 meters.

Translocator
Cooldown reduced from 6s to 4s

Winston

Barrier Projector
Cooldown now starts when the barrier is placed, instead of when it ends

Zenyatta

Orb of Destruction
Alternate fire recovery reduced from 1s to 0.6s

Orb of Discord
Can now target enemies through barriers

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
That Translocator buff is nice at least.

It really should be permanent though.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Wait. Junkrat not longer hurts himself with this own explosions? Does that mean I can go running like crazy into a small hallway full of dudes shooting wildly and not have it be a suicide mission? Does the rip tire not kill you anymore? It says "effect added to total mayhem" but... you're already dead when that happens?

Not shocked at all by the Orisa change. You could sit there and unload on people FOREVER with her 200 clip size

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
I like all of that

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Sombra having ANY voice notification when she comes out of cloak is dumb as poo poo

HELLO I SNUCK UP ON YOU HI

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yesssssss that Winston buff!!!

Confer
Feb 28, 2017

Theta Zero posted:

That Ana nerf is brutal. Sombra buff is really exciting too, they're that much closer to making translocator permanent.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Macaluso posted:

Wait. Junkrat not longer hurts himself with this own explosions? Does that mean I can go running like crazy into a small hallway full of dudes shooting wildly and not have it be a suicide mission? Does the rip tire not kill you anymore? It says "effect added to total mayhem" but... you're already dead when that happens?
it's going to be something like "Junkrat doesn't get damaged by his own explosives, also he drops a bunch of grenades when he dies". They aren't actually related.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

it's nice that Ana can't 2 shot Tracer anymore, since I'm bad at Tracer

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ImPureAwesome posted:

I like all of that

it's the best ptr patch in a long time. the worst you can say about anything is that it's questionable (the junkrat change is interesting but idk that it'll make him viable in high tier play)

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Would Junkrat change mean he can use his ult in the middle of a fire fight and blow it up immediately and still live as well?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Rirse posted:

Would Junkrat change mean he can use his ult in the middle of a fire fight and blow it up immediately and still live as well?
the only bad change

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Theta Zero posted:

yessss eat a bag of dicks you miserable hag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

it's the best ptr patch in a long time. the worst you can say about anything is that it's questionable (the junkrat change is interesting but idk that it'll make him viable in high tier play)

it won't but any junkrat buff is a step in the right direction

what they actually need to do is increase his projectile speed, make them blow up based on # of impacts instead of a timer, and make conc mines storable like tracer's blinks