Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lycus posted:

It's more important for video games to be fun than realistic. A lot of people would not find a "realistic" loyalty mechanic fun. Most would just game it and it would limit how they play. Gaming a simple "complete mission" requirement is just simply playing the game.

I mostly liked the loyalty challenges because they force you to take along those characters. You can get too used to using the same team all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Torrannor posted:

What kind of planet is the real life Earth? Water world? Ocean world? (What's the difference between a water world and an ocean world anyway?) Single-biome planets are stupid, and I wish sci-fi writers would stop including them. Except if they are truly exceptional, like how Arrakis exists in a setting where most other inhabited planets are Earth-like.

I always liked this conversation in a Bruce Coville book, I think Aliens Ate my Homework, with the following exchange as the characters were traipsing through a swamp in the kid's back yard:

Alien: *sighs wistfully* Ah, this reminds me of home.

Kid: Oh, do you live on a swamp planet?

Alien: Do you live on a swamp planet? No, I just lived in a swampy area.

Really puts into perspective how dumb the single-biome planets are.

enraged_camel posted:

Counter-point: it takes the surprise and suspense out of the equation by making events predictable. Successfully completing the loyalty missions also "locks in" the character's loyalty, as it becomes (afaik) impossible to gently caress things up with them afterwards. This is immersion breaking because loyalty doesn't work like that in real life. For example, if I get you out of a really tough situation at my own expense, you might become loyal to me, but if I then go and drown a bunch of puppies, you would probably reconsider your allegiance. It doesn't work like that in Mass Effect. The game views loyalty as the "pinnacle" in a linear spectrum, with "points" you gain with every action or lack thereof and perks you "unlock" at certain thresholds, and I would posit that this takes away from deep and realistic character development and interaction.

There are the intra-party fights where you can lose loyalty, like Miranda/Jack and Tali/Legion, but yeah it can be pretty dumb.

Rad Valtar posted:

I'm going to play the gently caress out of this game.

I'm going to gently caress the poo poo out of this game.
You're going to poo poo the play out of this game? That's how syllogisms work right?

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
If you picked Jack you were a scrub

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm playing mass effect 3 and just did the cure-genophage bit, did leviathan (awesome! But shepard is loving crazy, who would just get into a robot and jump off a ship like that?) and got a bunch of 'meet me at the citadel!' messages. Is this close to the point of no return or is it just halfway? Is there an obvious point of no return?

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

There is an obvious point of no return, yes. (it's going to Cerberus HQ, in case it's less obvious than I remember)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

redreader posted:

I'm playing mass effect 3 and just did the cure-genophage bit, did leviathan (awesome! But shepard is loving crazy, who would just get into a robot and jump off a ship like that?) and got a bunch of 'meet me at the citadel!' messages. Is this close to the point of no return or is it just halfway? Is there an obvious point of no return?

The endgame point of no return has a big message that explicitly says that it's the point of no return.

You can get locked out of side missions at various points though (like some of the Tuchunka ones once you finish the main plot there).

E: The Citadel DLC can be done before the ending but it might be best to finish the main game and then reload a save to do it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Skippy McPants posted:

ME: A will probably follow the same format for follower missions as DA: I, which is basically what you just said. They're optional missions you can complete to develop the characters and learn stuff about them, but they're not directly tied to the resolution of the main plot.

So hopefully everyone ends up happy.

Not terrrible?

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

I picked Jack. What now.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I was one of the elite few that was able to exercise my diplomatic skills to choose a path that left everyone happy

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Milky Moor posted:

i'm just wondering how they built an array from three mass relays

Let's pretend it's something like Very Long Baseline Array but with mass relays, somehow. At least there's a lampshade.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Ainsley McTree posted:

I was one of the elite few that was able to exercise my diplomatic skills to choose a path that left everyone happy

:same:

Although by "Elite" I would mean "used a save editor".

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Jack was really awesome...it just took two games to get her there.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Drifter posted:

Jack was really awesome...it just took two games to get her there.

Then she was awesome for all of about 6 minutes until you never see here again

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I like how she's a badass bitch

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I like how she's a badass biotic bitch

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Number Ten Cocks posted:

I picked Jack. What now.

You're a scrub. I thought that was clear?

(What are we talking about?)

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Ainsley McTree posted:

I like how she's a badass bitch

I like how her haircut blazed the trail for Cora.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

Number Ten Cocks posted:

I picked Jack. What now.

Case. In. Point.

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

Did people bitch about Jack's hair as much as Cora's back then?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The hair was a bit overshadowed by the entire rest of her.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Yes, you can have a character be awesome for 6 minutes, that's cool. Her arc was like a reverse Mass Effect 3 - kinda bland throughout but pretty dope at the end. It doesn't diminish anything except the abilities of the writers.

I think people complained about her dumbass outfit more than anything else.
That and the power of Shep's healing dick. Shepard comes Chicken Noodle Soup For The Soul, apparently.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 7, 2017

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
People got strong opinions about video games.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Burkion posted:

I'm just going to always wear my sweet helmets because of my horrible face.

But if I had hair, I'd go full on 80s spiked mohawk. No fear no shame

We need a straight up 70-80s space game like mass effect. Just exploring the universe as a bunch of weirdos and freaks who also play in a band -- wait, Does Ryder have a band?

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

People got wrong opinions about video games.

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Skippy McPants posted:

ME: A will probably follow the same format for follower missions as DA: I, which is basically what you just said. They're optional missions you can complete to develop the characters and learn stuff about them, but they're not directly tied to the resolution of the main plot.

So hopefully everyone ends up happy.

Except if you miss Iron Bull's, which I did despite having him in my party the entire game, and then he backstabs you with no warning in Trespasser. Which is exactly the sort of thing that guy is complaining about in the first place.

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Mar 7, 2017

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Except if you miss Iron Bull's, which I did despite having him in my party the entire game, and then he backstabs you with no warning in Trespasser. Which is exactly the sort of thing that guy is complaining about in the first place.

Nothing is worse than Anders doing whatever the gently caress he did in DA2.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Iron Bull betraying me in Trespasser because I made the "wrong" choice (which honestly seemed like the thing he would appreciate more) was a pleasant surprise.

An actual (minor) consequence in a Bioware game? My word!

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
If you take iron bull with you to kill dragons he gets real randy

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Iron Bull betraying me in Trespasser because I made the "wrong" choice (which honestly seemed like the thing he would appreciate more) was a pleasant surprise.

I though it made sense in context, and the only way it's really the "wrong" choice is that you're trading a bunch of never-seen soldiers for a group of scene-stealing minor characters.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

People got strong opinions about video games.

This new one looks terrible, unlike my favorite video game ever, ME2, which had no weird animations, or unremarkable characters, or characters based on models except the characters had weirdly puffy faces, or female characters with bad haircuts

I miss the golden age of mass effect

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
ME2 was dope. I feel like they all aged like poo poo.

But maybe... I aged like poo poo..

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Turbl posted:

Did people bitch about Jack's hair as much as Cora's back then?

I was just happy she finally put on a shirt, I didn't care about her hair.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Drifter posted:

Nothing is worse than Anders doing whatever the gently caress he did in DA2.

Anders' plan in DA2 would have been a lot more funny if he had been voiced by Owen Wilson

"Did you say you're high on Lyrium?"
"Very much so!"

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Cora's hairstyle looks good.

It's a shame I'll never see it since I'll be traveling exclusively with my krogan and turian pals.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

It's one thing when it's a result of an actual decision you made, it's quite another when you miss the trigger for the mission entirely and then he betrays you outta nowhere because the only metric the game checks is 'did you do loyalty mission y/n'

Ainsley McTree posted:

This new one looks terrible, unlike my favorite video game ever, ME2, which had no weird animations, or unremarkable characters, or characters based on models except the characters had weirdly puffy faces, or female characters with bad haircuts

I miss the golden age of mass effect

Believe it or not, people can not like those things in Mass Effect 2 and ALSO not like them in Andromeda! It's not an either/or thing at all, actually!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The only squadmate I probably won't use much is PB just because she seems the most boring.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

It's one thing when it's a result of an actual decision you made, it's quite another when you miss the trigger for the mission entirely and then he betrays you outta nowhere because the only metric the game checks is 'did you do loyalty mission y/n'
I get your point but it checks what you do in the loyalty mission too.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

precision posted:

The only squadmate I probably won't use much is PB just because she seems the most boring.

I agree, needs some garlic and vinegar to be worth taking off the shelf.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Believe it or not, people can not like those things in Mass Effect 2 and ALSO not like them in Andromeda! It's not an either/or thing at all, actually!

Not like what things? ME2 was a perfect game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
All these good games coming out made me abandon my latest trilogy playthrough, which is a shame since I was finally getting around to trying Soldier.