Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Pipski posted:

Yeah, I want a new phone now and there aren't any WP ones anyway. Aiming to pick up a LG G6 when it comes out. I'll miss having a nice homescreen full of transparent tiles, but that's about all.

There's a launcher that does really well the tile UI feel and is what got me into WP in the first place. Sure, it isn't 100% perfect but is highly customizable and can do even more things than WP10:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lx.launcher8&hl=es_419

Here's how mine looks in my Huawei P9:

You can adjust space between tiles, transparency and icons but so far I'm fine with that. The only thing I don't like is that the modded status bar is kind of slow compared to Huawei's one wich is fantastic in funtionality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Check out the Android phone thread for device recommendations. The G6 is unlikely to be a suggestion.

Waiting for Nokia's Android promises. Trying to scramble the resentment into a smiley face. Fingers crossed!

edit: ^^^ holy gently caress does Android still look like that?! There is no hope, ladies and gentlemen.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Will Nokia's phone have their pureview cameras?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Mr Funkface posted:

Waiting for Nokia's Android promises. Trying to scramble the resentment into a smiley face. Fingers crossed!

edit: ^^^ holy gently caress does Android still look like that?! There is no hope, ladies and gentlemen.

That's a launcher that attempts to provide a Windows phone-esque appearance. Check out a video review of the Google Pixel or some other phones to see what they look like.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Mr Funkface posted:

Lmao

"I changed my phone to try to recreate the WP aesthetic"

"Holy gently caress that looks awful, there's no hope for Android!"

sourdough fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Feb 25, 2017

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Android does look like crap largely whatever you do though. May have to go iPhone if nothing changes over the next 6 months, leaving Android behind was one of my more well-judged decisions (going to WP likely not as much so).

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Like how a computer is no more smart or stupid than who wields it, its capabilities directly correspondent to your capacity to input commands, similarly Android looks exactly as good or bad as you tell it to. If Android looks terrible, your inner self is being accurately reflected.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Eh, lets not make this a long off-topic derail, but Android customization is something I, and I suspect many other people, don't feel is something I will plan to have time for. I very much enjoy WP (still) for the rather effort-less little personalizations it offers, while for the most part keeping applications and the OS fairly neutral to the entire matter. I find that iOS is a better fit for the same than I do Android (granted, it may have changed since I last used it, but I have had four Android phones over the year, and each time I returned it was due to promises that things were vastly improved which I feel were never quite true).

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

My Lumia 630 running Windows 10 Mobile doesn't seem to update the lock screen from Bing on its own without me going in and refreshing it manually. Why is that? It's connected to my WiFi and the signal is strong. Also, sometimes the Live Tiles don't update without me opening the app - what's happening?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I've had android phones since 2009 and they're far better now but it's 100% depending on manufacturers' ui design. I've owned Samsung, HTC, Google Nexus and Huawei devices and so far HTC has the nicer one since nexus phones sometimes are kinda barebones. My P9 has really nice settings UI but the launcher is awful so I use Nova most of the time.

Being said, if WP10 wasn't unfinished and lacking in essential apps for me, I'm sure that back in August I would have upgraded my 640XL with a 950 or 950XL. Yet my P9 feels more premium, has an insanely good camera and can mimic WP ui.

If Microsoft ever decides to go nuts with a surface phone and really commits to get all the apps possible I'd love to use windows again. Until that, I'll keep my 640XL with 8.1 as backup phone or alarm clock.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Even after all these pages it remains pretty interesting to ponder how Microsoft cycled around to where they are now. As I have noted before I do think they are in a very solid place technology-wise. Nothing about what WP10 is prevents it from competing with any phone likely to show up in the next several years. All the underpinnings are top-notch and it is on a solid update-cycle in lockstep with the desktop. A number of years back however they started out with a rather cobbled together weird platform, but with a very clean vision both of how people use their phones (gather people in one place and tentacle out into all the services dealing with people, same for media, etc.), the interaction (despite posts about the issues with it over the year I am still very much a fan of the pivot and quick actions etc.), and the style (still a very nice aesthetic, no wonder Windows 10 took it on to a great extent). It is just the weirdness that what they managed to cobble together hastily with a small team on very shady technology, the cohesive set of basic functionality presented in a pleasing and useable manner, they can't seem to repeat now.

I really am one of the people who do not care that much if the app ecosystem is a bit weak, the WP7 team were right day 1 that very few real people would ever install more than a dozen apps, and most would fall into a small number of categories. The lack of actual finish harms it badly though.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

I really am one of the people who do not care that much if the app ecosystem is a bit weak, the WP7 team were right day 1 that very few real people would ever install more than a dozen apps, and most would fall into a small number of categories. The lack of actual finish harms it badly though.

Yes but that dozen is different for everyone. In another couple of years we might be out of apps and back into fully functional mobile webpage apps, but then and now you need the apps.

The first couple of years were the same way, everything was on iOS only. Eventually as Android passed 50% of the users of a company/service android got apps. That was organic choices by individual companies.

When WP launched MS paid/did the work/gave HUGE incentives for people to make/port apps. Thats why there was a flurry of activity (and excitement for a new platform of course) in the WP7 days but died rapidly after the first 2 years.

For so many people if you don't have the 2 games they play, 2 messaging platforms they use, 2 photo-sharing sites they use, and their banks app with mobile deposit the platform is DOA. I just don't see anyway MS can really seriously come back into relevance before the world moves from apps -> mobile web as apps.

Who knows how long that could take, probably many many years if Android and iOS keep adding functionality to their platforms.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Simple stuff like banking is drat annoying without the proper app. In Android I have one that unlocks (pretty standard on modern iOS/Android devices) with my fingerprint and takes seconds to do stuff while on WP 8.1 I had to rely on IExplorer and a clunky mobile website todo stuff.

Sure, most of the stuff I do on my phone is related to video streaming like youtube (3rd party on WP), Twitch (3rd party) and Netflix (available on WP) and most of my surfing is just reading SA threads wich has a decent WP app too. Twitter and Facebook have decent Android apps, amazon one works flawlessly and they retired it from the WP store. Sounds stupid but some fast food chains have decent apps with discount codes and is annoying to not have them on WP.

Hell, if Microsoft released a proper WP launcher for android I'd pay for it since I like the tile interface more than anything but the APP gap and unfinished OS keeps me away.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

This was the absolute dumbest stance they could have taken and most the failures WP had in getting market share can be traced back to that idea. This is the same team that initially tried to convince consumers that copy/paste was an unnecessary feature for this platform.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

CubanMissile posted:

This was the absolute dumbest stance they could have taken and most the failures WP had in getting market share can be traced back to that idea. This is the same team that initially tried to convince consumers that copy/paste was an unnecessary feature for this platform.

They were right, most people will only ever use a small amount of apps.

The problem is the apps used is different from person to person.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Exactly... It always funnels down to just a few apps but your ecosystem still has to start at the top of the funnel! It can't start at the loving nozzle.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Foxtrot_13 posted:

That and a complete lack of some the most popular apps.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Seconded. Both the lack of finish and the breaking of features is beyond frustrating.

Maybe it's too snarky to question that it demonstrates Microsoft can develop software anymore...but I'm not sure if it's that snarky.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Cheesus posted:

Seconded. Both the lack of finish and the breaking of features is beyond frustrating.

Maybe it's too snarky to question that it demonstrates Microsoft can develop software anymore...but I'm not sure if it's that snarky.

To my mind, they are even getting basic usability things wrong, such as the dialer. I upgraded the phone our coordinator uses in work from WP 8.1 to Windows 10 Mobile, and the dialer is quite confusing compared to the kind of thing you get on Android and iOS. Everyone that uses it really gets confused about that in particular.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Cheesus posted:

Bit of a tangent, but ads in Windows 10 (lockscreen, start menu) never cease to infuriate me.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

WattsvilleBlues posted:

To my mind, they are even getting basic usability things wrong, such as the dialer. I upgraded the phone our coordinator uses in work from WP 8.1 to Windows 10 Mobile, and the dialer is quite confusing compared to the kind of thing you get on Android and iOS. Everyone that uses it really gets confused about that in particular.

How do you gently caress up a dialer :psyduck:

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Seems normal to me?

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

One of the more annoying things I've run into with the dialer is initiating a call by merely tapping once on a call history listing. Why yes I would like to call the annoying and persistent as gently caress Mr. Detective from the FTC calling from a Jamaican area code that I've blocked numerous times with prejudice. :downs: Or making a call while in the middle of Taiwan and getting billed international rates even though I quickly terminated the call after accidentally starting the call. :argh: Or just calling anyone on my call history when I didn't mean to, quickly hang up, and then they call back asking why they got a call from me. It's stupid is what it is.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Edward IV posted:

One of the more annoying things I've run into with the dialer is initiating a call by merely tapping once on a call history listing. Why yes I would like to call the annoying and persistent as gently caress Mr. Detective from the FTC calling from a Jamaican area code that I've blocked numerous times with prejudice. :downs: Or making a call while in the middle of Taiwan and getting billed international rates even though I quickly terminated the call after accidentally starting the call. :argh: Or just calling anyone on my call history when I didn't mean to, quickly hang up, and then they call back asking why they got a call from me. It's stupid is what it is.

Well, yeah. I guess I didn't attribute that to the dialer. That stuff is annoying and it's happened to me. Except the international calling. I don't get out much.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Lediur posted:

Those buttons are badly sized, but if it helps you can swipe the notification up to dismiss the alarm. Found that out when I was half asleep and I've been doing it ever since.

That does the opposite of help.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

If a surface phone comes along before I have to replace my 950 with an SE I will buy it. I will consider Android only when the update track record actually gets clearly spelled out over a couple of years at a time. The phone landscape is quite depressing.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

If a surface phone comes along before I have to replace my 950 with an SE I will buy it. I will consider Android only when the update track record actually gets clearly spelled out over a couple of years at a time. The phone landscape is quite depressing.

From its release date, the Google Pixel is guaranteed 2 years of OS updates and 3 years of monthly security updates. It's a lovely phone.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

The phone landscape is only depressing if you're still holding out hope for WP.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

BonoMan posted:

The phone landscape is only depressing if you're still holding out hope for WP.

New thread title?

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Aa I said previously, I went from a Lumia 930 to a samsung s7 edge, and the difference is phenominal. Windows is a lost platform, and it had so much potential.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
If I update to the Insider Builds, will it have any updates to Bluetooth compatibility? It says it will take some time for an update. Can I force it?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Anybody have an aftermarket head unit in their car they use with a Windows 10 phone?

Rottbott
Jul 27, 2006
DMC

CharlesM posted:

Anybody have an aftermarket head unit in their car they use with a Windows 10 phone?
Yes, works fine. I'm on the insider slow ring.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I mean what is it? The Alpine I got doesn't seem to be and I want to get something else.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

CharlesM posted:

I mean what is it? The Alpine I got doesn't seem to be and I want to get something else.

Are you connecting with that extra box checked under Bluetooth settings? I found that helped a lot with compatibility.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I reset the phone, I'll try that tomorrow. In the mean while I have bought an iPhone but don't really like it, but it's still annoying to do the sim swap every time I want to try something.

Rottbott
Jul 27, 2006
DMC

CharlesM posted:

A Kenwood something or other, but I've had it working with a few different makes before.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Rottbott posted:

A Kenwood something or other, but I've had it working with a few different makes before.

I'll return the Alpine, I just didn't want to get another thing and have the same problem if I'm ordering through Crutchfield. Kenwood is what was in there before, it just was very old and had a really annoying interface. I've used the phone with a few rental cars without problem, so yeah.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

CharlesM posted:

I have a Pioneer head unit that I use with my 950. Takes longer to connect the bluetooth a lot of the time than my other phones though. Generally works pretty well, but it's not my daily driver, so I don't use it all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
OK, when I reset the phone, it didn't go back from the slow ring, it's still in that. Well I've tried and it almost works, but when I use my voice to reply to a text, Cortana says "Something's not right. Try again in a little bit".
edit: or "I ran into a snag. Try back in a little while."
Right after she asks me what I want to say in my reply. I wonder if it's not got voice recognition on by default.

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 9, 2017