Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

He got shoved into the crease by the defender and then shoved again. How's that his fault?

The last shove was well before the goal, he had opportunity to leave the crease and instead boxed Holtby out. You can't just keep standing in the crease and block the goalie, even if you're pushed several seconds earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

Schlesische posted:

Since Therrien's firing, Carey is second in SV% and GAA (to Holtbeast who is noticeably ahead in both categories). If Carey finishes the season the way he started it, he's going to put his name firmly back in contention.
Which is absolutely loving terrifying.
Considering how bad Carey was for how long (if you limit his stats to only the games between December 1st to February 14th - when Therrien got fired - he's .898 with 2.93 good for 45th and 43rd respectively), it really indicates how otherworldly he was to start and how much closer to back he is.

Price also has a much worse team in front of him.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Gunjin posted:

The last shove was well before the goal, he had opportunity to leave the crease and instead boxed Holtby out. You can't just keep standing in the crease and block the goalie, even if you're pushed several seconds earlier.

He got pushed into the crease initially, then pushed back into the net again. He had a stick in his back until just before the goal was scored.

This isn't a bad call, it's atrocious defending.

Suspicious posted:

Price also has a much worse team in front of him.

He isn't winning the Hart this year.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Schlesische posted:

He got pushed into the crease initially, then pushed back into the net again. He had a stick in his back until just before the goal was scored.

This isn't a bad call, it's atrocious defending.

Orpik wasn't touching him after the second shove, they showed another angle on TV. My issue is he mad no effort to leave the crease, how long after you're pushed can you camp in there and block the goalie?

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
holtby hasnt lost in regulation since december. hes Good

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Elliott has been better lately (he's won 5 consecutive starts with .952 SV pct, and he played well enough to win 4 of them), but as long as we play Wideman every night that probably matters less than I'd like it too.

Wideman has been munching popcorn since the arrival of Mike Stone. Coincidentally, when removed from Dennis Wideman, TJ Brodie looks like an NHL defenceman again. Wideman has played his last game of NHL hockey.

And the Flames look GOOD. People should watch them.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gunjin posted:

You usually can and this is what teams who don't have the league's current darling have to deal with.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

mennoknight posted:

Wideman has been munching popcorn since the arrival of Mike Stone. Coincidentally, when removed from Dennis Wideman, TJ Brodie looks like an NHL defenceman again. Wideman has played his last game of NHL hockey.

And the Flames look GOOD. People should watch them.

They're going to want to either be in the Pacific or in the first wildcard come the playoffs, but considering I never thought they'd make the playoffs until they destroyed the Isles that's a big step up.

Who's caught fire for them?

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
sportsclubstats has an edmonton/calgary first round at about a 35% to happen

:getin:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

What's nuts about the Calder is if Matthews and Laine weren't in the running, you'd still have several good contenders to debate over. Werenski, Murray, Marner...

Torts was expected to be the first coach fired and the CBJ expected to finish last. Is there a stronger case to be made for anyone than a) he's still employed, b) his team is top 5 in the league, and c) is still winning?

Suspicious posted:

Wyshynski doesn't like Torts? You'd figure a guy who likes fighting would like a coach that fights.

How did YOU cope with Torts' and the CBJ's early season success?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/how-ar...l-sh&soc_trk=tw

Not "What did you think" or "How are you feeling about...". "Cope", like it was a terminal illness.

quote:

I’m conflicted because I generally don’t like John Tortorella as a coach, temperamentally and tactically. And yes, some of this is the lingering taste of bile from the World Cup of Hockey and the embarrassment that was Team USA, but that’s as much on management as it was on the coach. There’s no denying the impact he’s had on this team, and the fact that he’s probably going to win the Jack Adams unless Guy Boucher somehow makes a stronger case.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

What's nuts about the Calder is if Matthews and Laine weren't in the running, you'd still have several good contenders to debate over. Werenski, Murray, Marner...

Torts was expected to be the first coach fired and the CBJ expected to finish last. Is there a stronger case to be made for anyone than a) he's still employed, b) his team is top 5 in the league, and c) is still winning?

How did YOU cope with Torts' and the CBJ's early season success?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/how-ar...l-sh&soc_trk=tw

Not "What did you think" or "How are you feeling about...". "Cope", like it was a terminal illness.

The torts article is just a funny in joke because basically everyone was writing "maybe the blue jackets aren't going to go undefeated for the rest of the year" articles and blue jackets fans were lobbing twitter haymakers from their weird bubble at them for it, and wyshnski was at the center of it

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Schlesische posted:

They're going to want to either be in the Pacific or in the first wildcard come the playoffs, but considering I never thought they'd make the playoffs until they destroyed the Isles that's a big step up.

Who's caught fire for them?

Near as I can tell, it's a combination of a couple things: Elliott has played significantly better over the last month or so, and the team has tightened up defensively (which we can attribute to Wideman being gone, which I only just noticed).

It's also important to remember that this is a talented team to begin with, especially at Forward. I still think we need one more top 4 guy on Defence for us to do anything of importance, but Calgary is looking good lately. The win over NYI makes 7 straight and they're threatening to climb into 5th in the conference.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
http://i.imgur.com/W2WyiS1.mp4

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Gunjin posted:

So this isn't goalie interference

https://twitter.com/myregularface/status/838914552209235968

I can't even.

It's not goalie interference. It's called "good stuff that makes me happy for once."

:)

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Dallas 4 Washington 2 (F).

Well, I'll be.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It defies all reason. Hell, I think I'm dreaming.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

We got Philly off their streak too. Things didn't go great for a bit after that, either.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Jumbo got 1000 assists tonight :toot:

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

That's a lot of assists in 1 game!

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
First Caps game I went to since the home opener and they lose to the loving Stars.

They had their chances, but they got pretty effectively boxed out to the perimeter.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

fits posted:

holtby hasnt lost in regulation since december. hes Good

Having the best team in the league in front of him might have something to do with that?

Wins are a stupid measure of a goaltender, cmon now

Gunjin posted:

Orpik wasn't touching him after the second shove, they showed another angle on TV. My issue is he mad no effort to leave the crease, how long after you're pushed can you camp in there and block the goalie?

Yeah it should have been a waived off goal but no penalty IMO.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Holy gently caress that's frightening :stare:

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I'm okay with the goal standing because Orpik is a loving moron who always checks forwards into his own goalie and the Capitals deserve it for playing Orpik over Nate Schmidt. Orpik had a play on the puck to clear it but instead was too busy pushing the Dallas guy into Holtby.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I propose we call this the hatcheck.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

xzzy posted:

I propose we call this the hatcheck.

Sounds way too similar to the Hascheck

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

Sounds way too similar to the Hascheck

"WHAT WAS HE SUPPOSED TO DO???"

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I might hate the red wings specifically because of that play and their stupid terrible announcers

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Artemi Panarin is apologizing for being racist on Russian TV.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
In case you were all wondering Antti Raanta now has the best pads in the NHL:

They looked fantastic with the road whites.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Levitate posted:

their stupid terrible announcers

This is reason enough. Holy poo poo.

Jovial Cow posted:

GODDAMN :swoon:

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Near as I can tell, it's a combination of a couple things: Elliott has played significantly better over the last month or so, and the team has tightened up defensively (which we can attribute to Wideman being gone, which I only just noticed).

It's also important to remember that this is a talented team to begin with, especially at Forward. I still think we need one more top 4 guy on Defence for us to do anything of importance, but Calgary is looking good lately. The win over NYI makes 7 straight and they're threatening to climb into 5th in the conference.

It can't be understated that Calgary is literally 7-0 since Wideman got benched.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mind_Taker posted:

I'm okay with the goal standing because Orpik is a loving moron who always checks forwards into his own goalie and the Capitals deserve it for playing Orpik over Nate Schmidt. Orpik had a play on the puck to clear it but instead was too busy pushing the Dallas guy into Holtby.

It's funny you mention this because my enduring memory of Brooks Orpik (other than the shift vs the Wings in the SCF) is him cross checking an opposing player into his own goalie after the puck is already in the net. Can't count the number of times I've seen that.

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS

Jovial Cow posted:

:fap: Lordy

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Levitate posted:

I might hate the red wings specifically because of that play and their stupid terrible announcers

IMO they're bad enough that they loop back around into mildly amusing.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Levitate posted:

\

Yeah it should have been a waived off goal but no penalty IMO.

Orpik pushes him into the crease twice, and by the time Orpik isn't pushing him, there's a rebound in the crease which the Dallas player tries to play. As per:

69.6 Rebounds and Loose Pucks - In a rebound situation, or where a goalkeeper and attacking player(s) are simultaneously attempting to play a loose puck, whether inside or outside the crease, incidental contact with the goalkeeper will be permitted, and any goal that is scored as a result thereof will be allowed.

The player doesn't have to vacate the crease if there's a rebound and he's trying to play the puck.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Grraarrgghh posted:

It can't be understated that Calgary is literally 7-0 since Wideman got benched.

Nashville -> Tampa -> Florida -> Carolina -> LA -> Detroit -> Isles

Not exactly tough competition

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

This is just the boost Dallas needed to make a strong playoff push.

Watch out, central!

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
This morning Washington was -273 and I just laughed. Caps don't beat the Stars. It's one of those things. Jason Spezza Kari Lehtonen blah blah blah. They played pretty great the second half of the game but doesn't matter. Can't beat Stars.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

JawKnee posted:

I mean the Isles, Tampa and Florida have enjoyed a healthy resurgence after their sub optimal starts to the season, the Kings are doing really good considering how bad Kopitar has been and Nashville are both good and hard to score against.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!

JawKnee posted:

True, though the Flames have been on a really good pace for the past 50 games, they've just become really good since the Wideman/Stone switch especially.

Records over the last 50GP:

1. WSH 35-09-6 = 76pts
2. MIN 35-10-5 = 75pts
3. CBJ 33-13-4 = 70pts
4. PIT 31-13-6 = 68pts
5. CHI 32-15-3 = 67pts
6. SJS 30-13-7 = 67pts
7. CGY 31-16-3 = 65pts

• Locked thread