Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I've found that metal polish has often been needed on my carts' contact pins to really get the tarnish off. I'm not sure if there is a specific type or brand you should look out for but I can't imagine it's too hard to look up either. After that I usually go at it with some 99% rubbing alcohol to clean it up further and get rid of excess polish gunk. Thus far this has rescued every bum cart I've come across.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Nate RFB posted:

I've found that metal polish has often been needed on my carts' contact pins to really get the tarnish off. I'm not sure if there is a specific type or brand you should look out for but I can't imagine it's too hard to look up either. After that I usually go at it with some 99% rubbing alcohol to clean it up further and get rid of excess polish gunk. Thus far this has rescued every bum cart I've come across.

I got some Mag's metal polish so I will give that a go.

Also, is it possible to irreparably damage a cart with metal polish? My copy of contra was really bad so I used metal polish and 90% alcohol to clean it really well. Now the game starts up and looks normal, but will not accept any button inputs except start. Then it launches into the first level but won't accept any further inputs.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 5, 2017

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

DrNutt posted:

Also, is it possible to irreparably damage a cart with metal polish?

Theoretically? Yes. Practically? Not really. You can if you were a complete nut actually break the metal contacts or damage the PCB itself. But putting a bit in, scrubbing, and then cleaning it off? Not going to do it unless there was something else really wrong.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Metal polish can remove the gold layer, which means the contacts would oxidize faster in the future, but it shouldn't outright ruin anything.

I'm partial to using a brass brush and iso alcohol for carts that are being really stubborn.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Random Stranger posted:

Theoretically? Yes. Practically? Not really. You can if you were a complete nut actually break the metal contacts or damage the PCB itself. But putting a bit in, scrubbing, and then cleaning it off? Not going to do it unless there was something else really wrong.

Huh. Any ideas on what might be causing that issue then? Maybe I didn't clean it enough? At first this was working really well and I was so excited to have working NES carts again but I'm clearly not understanding something about the process.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
My guess is that the contacts are just dirty. I doubt it's the SNES since the other games work. Two games broken the same way seems unlikely.

Try cleaning the contacts again and see what happens. Hopefully they were just really dirty.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

This weekend I finally went through the process of setting up Pseudo Saturn on my system. Any recommendations on some of the best the system has to offer? I've spent the daying playing Bomberman, some arcade fighting game ports, ran through SYmphony of the Night for the hell of it and some of the Falcom collections. Checking out Nights into Dreams at the moment, never played it before but I have been hearing about its quality for ages.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

In Training posted:

This weekend I finally went through the process of setting up Pseudo Saturn on my system. Any recommendations on some of the best the system has to offer? I've spent the daying playing Bomberman, some arcade fighting game ports, ran through SYmphony of the Night for the hell of it and some of the Falcom collections. Checking out Nights into Dreams at the moment, never played it before but I have been hearing about its quality for ages.

Play all those glorious shmups that cost a fortune! Battle Garrega, Radiant Silvergun, and Dodonpachi are gorgeous all-time classics. Other super expensive top-tier shooters include Hyper Duel, Batsugan, and Cotton 2.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

In Training posted:

Do you like shmups? Saturn has these in droves. Prepare your wallet for a beating, though. Also a tate setup for the verts.

Radiant Silvergun
Batsugun
Layer Section/Galactic Attack
Strikers 1945
Thunderforce Gold Pack 2
Salamander Deluxe Pack Plus
DoDonPachi

There are a ton of others, including system exclusives (like Blast Wind), but that should get you started. The only nonshmups I had were Legend of Oasis, Shining the Holy Ark, and Mega Man X3. Not sure I'd recommend any of those, though. My value for the console was purely the arcade ports.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 5, 2017

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

You've got to play Die Hard Arcade. With a buddy if possible.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Folks, don't get stoned and browse craigslist

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

Spoderman posted:

You've got to play Die Hard Arcade. With a buddy if possible.
Seconding this.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

HKR posted:

I'm honestly not seeing a down side to this.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

HKR posted:

What or cool stuff happens?

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

HKR posted:

OMG those sticks. Get them out, that cab is in pain.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Ofecks posted:

OMG those sticks. Get them out, that cab is in pain.

Cab is korean so of course it has bat sticks in it. I got some spares balltops though.

Came with Tekken Tag Tournament, which compliments my Tekken 2 and 3 boards nicely.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

HKR posted:

This explains Acid Police so much. At least for buying rad rear end poo poo. (I didn't need to see Acid's pics on psn for Senran Kagura outfits however. There is a reason those games should put you on some sort of watch list!)

How much dank nugz would it take for me to end up with an Atari Star Wars sitdown cab? It would take Snoop's weekend stash wouldn't it?

Appropriate to discussion: https://youtu.be/94ZEczIYbUQ

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

e: should have scrolled down

d0s fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 6, 2017

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Captain Rufus posted:

This explains Acid Police so much. At least for buying rad rear end poo poo. (I didn't need to see Acid's pics on psn for Senran Kagura outfits however. There is a reason those games should put you on some sort of watch list!)

How much dank nugz would it take for me to end up with an Atari Star Wars sitdown cab? It would take Snoop's weekend stash wouldn't it?

Appropriate to discussion: https://youtu.be/94ZEczIYbUQ

haha you moron he bought lots of rad rear end poo poo because he was constantly running scams on people

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

d0s posted:

haha you moron he bought lots of rad rear end poo poo because he was constantly running scams on people

Retrogaming is a hell of a drug.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Trip report.

I had planned to spend my sunday playing Torment, but I had to check craigslist and on a lark search for candy cab. As soon as I saw it my boyfriend and I decided to hop on it (We had been talking about getting a cab set up for a while now).

The cab is a Korean Crowin CWC-203. It was described as a "somewhat project" cabinet. The person we bought it from had recently purchased it to add to their arcade, but decided it was too much of a project for them so wanted to give it to a good home. We popped in the tekken tag board it came with and the monitor looked good. The controls were pretty much shot (joystocks not returning to center, buttons broken, buttons wired up in the harness wrong). We discovered some other issues but decided to take the chance anyway.

The cab is mostly wood, so it made getting into the house a fairly involved process.

After doing another test fire to make sure we didn't rattle anything loose, we took stock of everything. The previous owner had screwed in new joysticks but used wood screws so some of the tips are just barely poking out into the panel. The control panel had broken off at some point and the previous owner not knowing how to fix anything attempted to fix it with hot glue and some other...creative fixes.

We'll be fixing the broken plastic and adding reinforcement. In the meantime we had to take the control panel off completely to get it up the stairs. After removing about 50 screws we finally got it out.

Next few days are going to be spent stripping components, cleaning them and fixing them as time goes on. I want to wire a new jamma harness in as the previous one looks like it had several bad fixes applied to it. I also need to test my Tekken 2 and 3 boards to make sure they're working as well.

I'm super excited to have my first candy cab in the house.

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016

HKR posted:

That feeling doesnt go away for a long time. I was more excited about getting my Astro with a PGM than I was for any cab but my first (a Red Tent).

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Speaking of arcade cabs, the last distributor of CRT's for arcade cabinets, Dream Arcades, isn't getting more CRT's, so the "existing" supply in the wild is basically it.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
I ordered a 'CSYNC EuroSCART to Framemeister XRGB-mini adapter' from retrogamingcables. Will it only work with systems outputting CSYNC, or can it also handle sync on luma and sync on composite?

Edit: the answer is yes, and I'm dumb

Null of Undefined fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 7, 2017

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I don't know if Frank's going to pimp his new venture here so I'll do it for him: he's officially launched a non-profit org to work full-time on the preservation of games and game history and you can help fund their work via Patreon or one-off donations:

http://gamehistory.org/

https://www.patreon.com/gamehistoryorg

Thank you! It's been a week and this is like the first time I've looked at the internet since then, let alone this thread.

Chainclaw posted:

I jumped on this Patreon, and I'm seeing if he'll take donations. My N64 and Saturn dev manuals aren't really doing much just sitting on my shelf. After having a giant pile of dev hardware for GameGear, Saturn, N64, Playstation, and Xbox stolen a few years ago I figured it's a good idea to get this stuff into the hands of someone serious about preservation.

These manuals are in my living room RIGHT NOW, thanks again.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

What kind of stuff would you want as donations (other than, of course, money)? I have a lot of random stuff not getting a whole lot of use but nothing THAT obscure, I don't think.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

univbee posted:

What kind of stuff would you want as donations (other than, of course, money)? I have a lot of random stuff not getting a whole lot of use but nothing THAT obscure, I don't think.

This is a blanket statement that has many exceptions, but our main focus is anything that consumers couldn't buy in stores. Promotional material, behind-the-scenes stuff from devs, things like that. We're not generally interested in taking games or consoles or anything like that...but if you're looking to donate that kind of material somewhere, we can help guide. What we're doing is trying to capture the things we feel are the most volatile, and that might ACTUALLY disappear if nobody acts on it, so we feel pretty safe with like, console games. What we want to do is take materials like these and digitize them and/or put them in an accessible archive.

The biggest exception to the "no retail stuff" rule is magazines for the library, and obscure software (mainly for old computers) that could use a scan/re-scan. I can see us going toward a big "floppy disk project" where we power through and re-dump all of the floppy games for sanity checks against the pirate groups, since floppies by their nature become tainted as soon as you save to them, but we're not really there yet and I don't want to start building toward it "just in case."

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

HKR posted:

That's awesome, grats on your find. Does the monitor rotate?

univbee posted:

Speaking of arcade cabs, the last distributor of CRT's for arcade cabinets, Dream Arcades, isn't getting more CRT's, so the "existing" supply in the wild is basically it.

Import from Japan? Or is Dream Arcades a JP company? If so, :(

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

TheRedEye posted:

I can see us going toward a big "floppy disk project" where we power through and re-dump all of the floppy games for sanity checks against the pirate groups, since floppies by their nature become tainted as soon as you save to them, but we're not really there yet and I don't want to start building toward it "just in case."

Isn't that what these guys are doing?

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

d0s posted:

Isn't that what these guys are doing?

Yeah, but I have no idea how much they can handle. I'm just talking about a theoretical future that I hope isn't actually necessary, I don't want to rip floppies!

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!
Here is a fun new toy of mine:

The "joey joe bags" is a GB/GBC/GBA cart reader/writer from BennVenn. It can dump roms and save files, as well as flash new roms to writable carts, including chinese pirates. It can also do weird things like stream live video from a Gameboy Camera but I haven't tested that yet.
It is pictured next to my newly customized GBA, which includes one of the chinese newly manufactured SP101 screens. Lots of people complain about motion blur with these screens but the one I got doesn't blur at all. Only problem is one corner is slightly off color, which is only noticeable when the screen is white. From what I'm reading 40-Pin GBAs do better with these screens.

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!
Does anyone here happen to own Steel Battalion by any chance? Of so I was wondering if some lovely darling of a person might be able to do me a favor and measure one of the 8 screws that go on the bottom of the controller to hold the three large pieces together. A picture of them would be super helpful as well, since I got this thing used and it didn't come with any of them and I was thinking of going to Home Depot and getting some replacements.

On the subject of the original Xbox, has anyone here ever used a program called "FlickerFucker"? If you have a modchip or a softmod in your Xbox and install your games to the hard drive this program supposedly allows you to remove the "flicker filter" from the default.xbe file. I have no idea what this flicker filter is that they're talking about (I was thinking maybe some form of AA?), but doing this improves the image quality to a seriously huge degree, at least it does on a CRT. The image is just a lot sharper and, true to its title, there is much less flickering going on when panning the camera around. I always thought the original Xbox's graphics in general held up like total poo poo, but assuming this isn't some placebo effect I'm seeing here, it actually makes things a lot prettier to look at.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Jadius posted:

Does anyone here happen to own Steel Battalion by any chance? Of so I was wondering if some lovely darling of a person might be able to do me a favor and measure one of the 8 screws that go on the bottom of the controller to hold the three large pieces together. A picture of them would be super helpful as well, since I got this thing used and it didn't come with any of them and I was thinking of going to Home Depot and getting some replacements.

I do own it, and can do it for you later today if no one beats me to it.

Steel Battalion is kind of funny in that mine had a switch broken off in shipping and I just carefully glued it back, figuring that in the real world an actual control panel would be giant hodgepodge of...bodges.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

TheRedEye posted:

Yeah, but I have no idea how much they can handle. I'm just talking about a theoretical future that I hope isn't actually necessary, I don't want to rip floppies!

Are you going for only English stuff or are you interested in other languages? I got this game

which comes with a ~140 page manga

As well as a bunch of the WaveJack series of games that have physical media that likely hasn't been backed up anywhere.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

flyboi posted:

Are you going for only English stuff or are you interested in other languages? I got this game

which comes with a ~140 page manga

As well as a bunch of the WaveJack series of games that have physical media that likely hasn't been backed up anywhere.

I really love the aestheticof those carts.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

Vintersorg posted:

I really love the aestheticof those carts.

they're DISKS :colbert:

flyboi posted:

I've saved those cassettes.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

You're right.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Well then, turns out my SNES actually isn't a 1CHIP model. I always assumed it was because the RGB output looks pretty nice, but couldn't verify until I finally got my hands on a gamebit screwdriver today. My life has been a lie and now I believe in nothing. :reject:

Guess I should hunt down a 1CHIP that has a 50/60Hz switch like this thing does...

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!

univbee posted:

I do own it, and can do it for you later today if no one beats me to it.

Steel Battalion is kind of funny in that mine had a switch broken off in shipping and I just carefully glued it back, figuring that in the real world an actual control panel would be giant hodgepodge of...bodges.

Thank you, I would very much appreciate it. It still holds together okay without the screws but this thing is so expensive that I'm terrified of using it without the screws too long and have something like one third of it separating and ripping out the IDE connector.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Jadius posted:

Steel Battalion

Ah Steel Battalion :allears: My brother in law has that game and I had fun playing what little I did. Unfortunately I'm six and a half feet tall and need a goddamn bar stool to play it comfortably.

• Locked thread